Possible Downtime

Found a problem with the site? Tell Professor Hackle.
MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Possible Downtime

Postby MoDaD » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:06 pm

Some of you may have noticed some downtime earlier today. There's an issue either with my web host or a piece of malware that's present somewhere. I have a maximum of one million Disk Inodes (files) that can be used on my VPS. Usually the number is around 380,000, but this morning all one million were used, which crashed anything requiring dynamic data like databases, sessions, temp stuff, etc. (basically this forum and anything running a CMS). Throughout the day I managed to work with my host's tech support and they were able to clear up 600,000 junk entries, but it's a band-aid. It's already starting to fill up again, and it'll be the same problem again within a few days at the current rate. I'm running a download of all files and will try a malware scan on them to see if I can find the problem. If that doesn't work, I have another separate host I'll try, but that'll require another migration which I'll be doing in pieces. I strongly suspect this is the host's fault (a VPS still technically exists in a shared environment), but we'll see.

Anyway, thanks for your patience, and if you see things disappear here and there, just be reassured it's only temporary :lol:
3 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Re: Possible Downtime

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:56 pm

Thank you very much for keeping us updated about this problem and taking care of it, MoDaD.
I assume this is quite a nasty issue to fix which needs a lot of attention.
1 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks for the news, MoDaD I'm sure you'll find the problem :3
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Postby MoDaD » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:07 pm

DNS is still propagating. Depending on your location the forum may be back up for you.

EDIT: Seems to be working everywhere I'm checking. If anything is out-of-place let me know.
0 x

Return to “Tech Support”