MegakatCity.com Back Up

Found a problem with the site? Tell Professor Hackle.
MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

MegakatCity.com Back Up

Postby MoDaD » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Some of you may have noticed an inability to login to the forum and its subsequent downtime the past 24 hours. There was a large, time-consuming issue with what I suppose I could generously label as a "hack" of the site in the form of some pervasive redirect / email bot malware. I won't bore you with the details, but the site is freshly installed at a completely new location and put back together piece-by-piece in order to check for any affected files. Megakatcity.com is now isolated from other SWAT Kats sites/projects, so hopefully it'll remain unaffected as I'll have to repeat the process for other things. The database appears to be untouched, but if you feel the need to change your password I won't hold it against you. Thanks for your patience.

I do have to admit that this process hasn't left me particularly enamored with phpbb, particularly in the wake of the troubles swatkats.us has had leading to its current (and probably permanent) situation. I feel more convinced to migrate this community into a framework I'm more familiar with and quite honestly like better: bbpress. My current schedule probably won't allow for any development work until January, but when the time is right I'll see what I can do.

Also, as a good piece of advice, keep frequent backups of your work :lol:
2 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Re: MegakatCity.com Back Up

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:08 am

MoDaD wrote:Some of you may have noticed an inability to login to the forum and its subsequent downtime the past 24 hours. There was a large, time-consuming issue with what I suppose I could generously label as a "hack" of the site in the form of some pervasive redirect / email bot malware.

Thank you for keeping us informed and for spending so much time on getting/keeping everything running again. I hope that these malware injections won't happen regularly or get even worse.
MoDaD wrote:I do have to admit that this process hasn't left me particularly enamored with phpbb, particularly in the wake of the troubles swatkats.us has had leading to its current (and probably permanent) situation.

I think it's fairly obvious that swatkats.us was pretty much dead already, but it's still sad thinking that its closedown was because of such %#&§*$# malware.
MoDaD wrote:Also, as a good piece of advice, keep frequent backups of your work :lol:

It's good to know that the content of this bulleting board is backuped regularly.
0 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Finally I can stop pressing F5 to see if the forum is up again! ᶘ ^ᴥ^ᶅ
Now I need to start pressing F5 to see if there are new posts... ᶘ uᴥu"ᶅ

As usual, thanks for everything MoDaD. ᶘ ^ᴥ^ᶅ
0 x

Leon Mane
Resident

Postby Leon Mane » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Did the malware, by chance, come from Russia? I ask because someone tried to get into my email, apparently from Russia. The irony that, if it was because of the 'hacker' was indeed the same one, is not lost on me. In fact, said irony would probably make me chuckle lightly for a moment or two.
0 x

T-Bone
Resident
Flag: Russia

Postby T-Bone » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:39 pm

What happened with this forum? I could not receive recovery password to my email since july month. I hope this will not happen again.
1 x
SK fan since 1998.

SwatKats forever!

Razor:Hey,don’t sweat it, I’ll teach you how to swim.
T-Bone:Fish swim,I fly.

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:58 pm

T-Bone wrote:What happened with this forum? I could not receive recovery password to my email since july month. I hope this will not happen again.
Are you able to receive it now?

In the future, if anyone's unable to login or has other individual technical issues with the forum I can be contacted via email at theswatkatsencyclopedia@gmail.com
0 x

Return to “Tech Support”