The Red Lynx's background history

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
jesse220
Long-Term Resident

The Red Lynx's background history

Postby jesse220 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:13 pm

The Red Lynx Was an evil World War I (Or Megawar II the kat people like to call) pilot to shoot down his enemies during his time. But who was the Red Lynx? Where did he came from? My theories that the red lynx was born in Germany in 1819. He was a young kitten in his days, but in July 28, 1914 in his young adult years WW1 (MWII) started and he signed up to serve his country. He was trained to fly a warplane and he became the best fighter pilot ever to serve his country. Then he was staring to become corrupted. But there was a hero that can shoot dow the red lynx named the blue manx ( great great grandfather of mayor Manx) he was also the best pilot to serve his country. they both fought with honor. But then the Red Lynx was shot down to his watery grave by the Blue Manx.

What do you say?
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: United States of America

Re: The Red Lynx's background history

Postby Felony » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:16 pm

This has been a conundrum in regards to when Mega War II was and how old Mayor Manx is. Allow me to focus a bit on Manx a moment as Manx's relation to the Blue Manx kinda throws a bit of a monkeywrench in figuring out a few other things in regards to the kat world's history.

Megawar II was about 70 years ago, as stated by Charlie the guard to Dr. Sinian in the episode Ghost Pilot when he said "For a 50 year old airplane, she's in pretty good shape." and add on 20 years since that episode aired. The Blue Manx was Mayor Manx's Great Grandfather. That would put his line having kids kinda young to reach what age Manx is. Lets say in 1993 (when the episode aired) Mayor Manx is 50. That would've put him being born in 1943. No way that could be if the Blue Manx was his Great Grandfather. So he's gotta be younger than that.

One would need to first try and figure the age of the Blue Manx and his son and grandson before trying to figure out Mayor Manx's age. Thing is, it just can't be done unless the Blue Manx was old while in Megawar II. I think the show made a mistake and should have called the Blue Manx Mayor Manx's Grandfather. Here's what I came up with though in regards to the relation of Great Grandfather.

1899 -Blue Manx born
1917 -Manx's grandfather born
1914 -Megawar I begins
1918 -Megawar I ends
1935 -Manx's father born
1941 -Megawar II begins
1944 -Megawar II ends
1953 -Mayor Manx born

Things I took into consideration for this:
1.) The Megawars. I'm assuming that they took place the same time as our World Wars. The second one however wouldn't match up exactly (1945? my history is off I'm sure).
2.) Each Manx son was born when their father was 18 years of age (to make it legal like).
3.) Blue Manx couldn't be TOO old during Megawar II as the question of eyesight and other health issues so he's 45.
4.) Mayor Manx has a grey haired toupee to match his beard and rest of his hair which makes him look older. This puts him at (by 1993/94) 40 years of age. I've seen people that young with grey hair though it isn't too common, but the stress of being Mayor of Megakat City can age a guy I'm sure. XD

Basically, this is fudged. I'm making many allowances. What's to say each Manx son was born when their fathers were 18? And really shouldn't Manx be older than 40 as he's served so many terms? Maybe he was a young mayor, I don't know.

I also went about this as if the Blue Manx was Mayor Manx's grandfather. Here is what I came up with there.

1909 -Blue Manx born
1914 -Megawar I begins
1918 -Megawar I ends
1930 -Manx's father born
1941 -Megawar II begins
1944 -Megawar II ends
1948 -Mayor Manx born

This places Manx at 45 (by 1993/94). This also leaves room for a younger Blue Manx in Megawar II at the age of 35.

LOL I've probably put too much thought into it, but it all boils down to the script writers shouldn't have made the Blue Manx Mayor Manx's Great Grandfather if the war ended around 50 years prior with how they made Mayor Manx look in age.

Now as far as the Red Lynx goes, this is obviously a play on names and the like. Of course, the Red Lynx is a play on the Red Baron, an actual fighter pilot who flew in WWI. The Blue Manx is a play on the Blue Max, a rank in the German army for when one shoots down 20 enemy fighters for which a movie based on a novel was made. However that is an achievement for a German pilot, but the Blue Manx fought for the Allies. Also the movie was during WWI, not WWII. Perhaps the writers should have gone with Mega War I instead as these are in a different war.

In my own imaginings on the Red Lynx, I figured his real name was Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Kachthofen. This is a play on the real Red Baron's name, Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen. The Red Baron was born in 1892 and died in 1918, so that wouldn't work for the Red Lynx given MWII took place much after. I'd age the Red Lynx to being born around the same time as the Blue Manx was, so sometime in early 1900s. We know what ended up happening to him from that episode, and anything else is speculation (even his real name).

Since this is an entirely different world than our own, I've accepted it as is, but as the writers (and the Tremblay bros themselves I believe) were clearly using katified names for these two characters, I can't help but note the inaccuracies.
0 x

jesse220
Long-Term Resident

Postby jesse220 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:50 pm

You do have a point.
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:13 am

That's a great breakdown, and assuming that the dates and times are supposed to correspond with real historical events (at least roughly) then I don't see how it could occur any other way than you've listed. The Red Lynx/Red Baron homages and the type of aircraft depicted (bi-planes) do heavily suggest a World War I influence, and I've always viewed "Mega War II" as an error on the part of the writers. T

Though, I suppose it could be argued there's nothing that 100% refutes the notion that it's just an entirely different time-frame and any correlations to real history are coincidental at best ;)
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:36 pm

MoDaD wrote:Though, I suppose it could be argued there's nothing that 100% refutes the notion that it's just an entirely different time-frame and any correlations to real history are coincidental at best ;)

I agree, but the age thing would still be off (unless the Manx line had kids young XD) with the war taking place 50 years prior and Blue Manx being Mayor Manx's great grandfather. That's what always threw me off, especially when I was figuring out my fan character Hans Lynx's proper age/relation to the Red Lynx.
0 x

jesse220
Long-Term Resident

Postby jesse220 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Yep. If Manx was born in the 40s, then he must have learned a lot from his great grandfather. But why did the Writers called the war Mega war II?
0 x

NeeKnight
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Great Britain

Postby NeeKnight » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:03 am

I think we should all take a moment to applaude Felony for Wow-worthy calulations ^^ Red Lynx was always a fav of mine given my interest in the World Wars and seeing the kat version always makes me want to explore this more. I saw the Megawar II as a mix set inbetween the time of our World Wars to give the Great GrandFather angle a bit more believeablity.
It would still have them in the era of the "Gentleman Fighter Pilot" and Bi-planes to mess with but by mixing the wars, gives them the much more well known feel of WW2's weight and notoriety I feel the writer wanted to go for in calling it MegaWar II. A lot more young people knew about WW2, if not in detail, in passing and knew that the badguys in it were very much badguys! That's just my thoughts anyway.
0 x

jesse220
Long-Term Resident

Postby jesse220 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:40 pm

NeeKnight wrote:I think we should all take a moment to applaude Felony for Wow-worthy calulations ^^ Red Lynx was always a fav of mine given my interest in the World Wars and seeing the kat version always makes me want to explore this more. I saw the Megawar II as a mix set inbetween the time of our World Wars to give the Great GrandFather angle a bit more believeablity.
It would still have them in the era of the "Gentleman Fighter Pilot" and Bi-planes to mess with but by mixing the wars, gives them the much more well known feel of WW2's weight and notoriety I feel the writer wanted to go for in calling it MegaWar II. A lot more young people knew about WW2, if not in detail, in passing and knew that the badguys in it were very much badguys! That's just my thoughts anyway.

You are right about that. But Is there a tragic past to the Red Lynx before becoming a pilot?
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 pm

jesse220 wrote:But Is there a tragic past to the Red Lynx before becoming a pilot?

There could be, but the show didn't really touch on that. Most likely he was just a cocky pilot fighting for his country and enjoyed a good air battle with a worthy opponent. He was upset that the Blue Manx wasn't around and was glad to come across T-Bone until he bested him (or so he thought).
0 x

jesse220
Long-Term Resident

Postby jesse220 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Well you have a good point. I guess being a cocky pilot might have gotten the best of him.
0 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”