What would you like to see in the new series?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

What would you like to see in the new series?

Postby Mikazo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:15 pm

I figured this would be an interesting thread to start, due to the recent discussions surrounding the revival campaign. What are your thoughts?

Personally, one thing I would advocate for is for the series to *slow down.* The original show needed more depth. It consisted of 20-minute episodes, which were very brief and fast-paced. I think it would be worth it to put time and effort into developing the plots and characters more. To do that it may require longer episodes that move more slowly. A lot of Japanese films do this to great effect, utilizing pauses and so on. If the show moves too quickly, it will be harder to get to know the characters better. Also it would bring out the action scenes more when they do happen.
0 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Re: What would you like to see in the new series?

Postby Betaruga » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:32 am

That's a great point honestly! I'd like more depth more than anything, too. I'm sure the show will still be fast paced since it's action, but some slow moments...Honestly some of my favorite scenes in the original show were just those calm moments when Chance and Jake are just chilling? That's one thing I really liked about season 1 actually. That and Chances unrequited crush on Callie. Hilarious! XD

Something else I wanna see, and I guess we'll find out how things look soon, but... I loved the way the characters were drawn in Unlikely Alloys and The Deadly Pyramid... they physically looked so solid? Like they went from toony to a more realistic 3D rendering sytle, not to mention how dark and edgy it looked (awesome) and while I know things will be different, I hope they keep away from the floppy toony look. It would break my heart. Really ;__;
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:15 am

If it's a reboot, maybe this time I'd like to see Zyme not get the shaft. I still can't get over how he was the only character to get so much character development after it was already too late to do anything with him. It felt like a huge waste. Admittedly, he was just a younger version of Hackle, but still. If the show isn't a reboot, then, well, I guess Zyme is S.O.L., but, that being the case, they can at least try and be a little less kill-happy. I'm fine with the occasional supporting character dying, and in fact I do it a lot in my own stories, but just as long as the new show avoids icing potentially interesting characters before they have a chance to do anything of merit.

That and maybe make the Enforcers a little more effective. More moments like their takedown of the Megasaurus rex in The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice, and less "Feral is an idiot" scenes.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Yeah I kinda noticed that. I remember watching the Dr. Viper origin episode and going "OH hey Dr. Zyme, wait whatever happened to that guy? Oooooohh... Well then."

Making The Enforcers less incompetent overall would be a godsend. Obviously the SWAT Kats are going to upshow them, but making them look so incapable that it frustrates the audience doesn't make them or the show look good.
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:30 pm

There are so many directions the show could go in. It seems to me the main challenge would be choosing which way to go. Certainly you can't do *everything*, and you can't please everyone either. While the show has a lot of potential, it can't be spread all over the map. To make a really good show, how many ideas would you have to forego? That could be very hard to do, particularly if the ideas happened to be really good.
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:49 pm

As has been said in the Reddit AMA, the series isn't going to be a reboot but a continuation. Least I hope it is still a continuation. I personally wish to see more of the characters' histories, particularly Jake and Chance but also some of the baddies, my main megalomaniac man Dark Kat in particular. Would be cool to see the return of some of the one-episode villains, and give Hard Drive his own episode where it's full length and he's the only villain.

I personally don't mind changes so long as they're explained. The promo draft image of T-Bone, I can see the SWAT Kats having to armor up. A nice transition would be good. And if change can't be helped such as in replacing voice actors, that's acceptable too and hopefully they can find close enough matches to the cast's late VAs. So long as it makes sense, and isn't off the wall like suddenly including dogs in what has already been established as a world of felines or Razor and T-Bone no longer using the Turbokat, I can deal with change.
0 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony

Leon Mane
Resident

Postby Leon Mane » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:57 pm

I'd like to see at least one episode devoted to the Enforcers, maybe see some new recruits training in the background, new equipment being displayed, maybe a moment where they're shown handling threats that don't warrant calling in the SWAT Kats. It couldn't hurt to show them dealing with trouble like bank robbers and carjackers or the like.

Maybe some new named characters for the good guys, too. With new teams working on the show, there are bound to be new bad guys and tech, so the good guys should get bolstered in number, too.
0 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:16 pm

There are two unresolved emotional issues/hangups that both Jake and Chance have that I'd like to see addressed more. With Chance, it's his concealing his own personal liabilites when it could impact their vigilante lifestyle (swimming is a life saving skill, ok?) and his denial around that, his unwillingness to get vulnerable and address weaknesses. He dodged the humble pie blowback on that by becoming a mutated frog and learning how to swim without confronting any of his own demons in the process. That felt like cheating in a way, because the glaring underlying issue is still there and is unaddressed.

Same thing with Jake and his guilt about hurting other people. It's unrealistic that he would never accidentally inflict legit casualties as Razor, and he never actually got PAST that hurdle, or developed around it--he just felt dysfunctional guilt until proven non guilty. I want to see an episode that challenges Jake again, and actually forces him to gain some perspective, self forgiveness and acceptance.

Both of them have their own triggers that incite insecurity in themselves, Chance with vulnerability and Jake with guilt, and I want to see the "enemy within" theme played up more.
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:28 pm

Personally, I think some new characters would be nice, and having the series in HD would be nice. Maybe some subtle references? XD
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Writer, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
also i'm bi
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."
Icon by @menacing-marshmallow on Tumblr

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:42 am

Betaruga wrote:With Chance, it's his concealing his own personal liabilites when it could impact their vigilante lifestyle (swimming is a life saving skill, ok?) and his denial around that, his unwillingness to get vulnerable and address weaknesses.

There's also his temper. He has a tendency to lash out without thinking, which is why he and Jake are even in the situation they're in. And why he apparently has no idea that TVs can be turned off if you don't like what's playing on them, so you don't need to shatter or paint over their screens. In fact, Chance's behavior in this regard is rather puzzling to me, as, with a few exceptions, most characters I've seen petulantly ruin TV sets have been villains (or at least characters we're not supposed to like) or characters in some sort of emotional turmoil. For the former, the Joker does this twice in 1989's Batman, and for the latter, the depressed, borderline homicidal Dr. Prang does it in Young Doctors In Love.

And Chance is neither of these things, at least as far as I know. He isn't a villain, and he's a character we're meant to like, which just leaves emotional turmoil. But what his inner demons might be I do not know. He can't seriously have that much pent up anger over Feral, can he? I don't meant to imply he has no right to be angry at all, considering he had his entire career ruined and his life turned upside down all in one day, but hasn't he vented enough of his frustration by now? How many times does he need to embarrass Feral and save the day "his way" before he can be the better man and not act like a pissy eight year old every time the talking chin badmouths him and Jake? In fact, why does he even care what Feral says? It's obvious nobody in Megakat City shares Feral's opinion, not even his own Enforcers half the time, it seems.

But apparently, no, Chance hasn't had enough of an outlet for his frustration over being unjustly fired, and he seemingly does in fact care what the guy who fired him thinks about him, and continues to allow that one incident to define him personally, and not for the better, despite it being arguably the best thing that could've happened to him. All of which paint him as a very angry, immature individual who is very easily wounded emotionally but can't or won't admit it, and wants the approval of the guy who wronged him once, if for no other reason than hear him say "I was wrong to fire you."

And all of this is great fodder for character development, and it was totally ignored by the show.

I like flawed characters. And yet Chance's obvious anger problems and the potentially deeper issues they're symptoms of are never addressed because his outbursts are usually presented as simple comedy: introduced for a laugh, then immediately forgotten about. This has the unfortunate side effect of implicitly condoning his behavior and at the same time downplaying the fact he is obviously hurting on some level. And because it never addresses his character flaws, he never overcomes or even confronts any of them, and consequently never grows as a character.

If Chance is to be a positive role model for, well, anyone, then some of his more unpleasant character traits (frequently ignored, glossed over, or, worse, lauded by some) need to be addressed.
Last edited by Kooshmeister on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Return to “SK Show Discussion”