How & When Did You First See The Show?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Katney
Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: How & When Did You First See The Show?

Postby Katney » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Well guess it's time I post my SK origin story. XD

I first found the show in 1994. We didn't have cable or satellite TV yet so we relied on local channels that our TV antennae could make a picture out of. ... "Like" if you know/remember what I'm talking about. XD Anyway, one of the channels featured the show on Sundays and I saw the commercial for it. I was kinda skeptical for one reason or another, being a picky 11-year-old, but decided to take a look. My first "official" take on the show was the last scene of "The Ci-Kat-A," where Jake and Chance were discussing going to "HardShell 2" and Chance gets bitten by the little bug. So what was my first full-viewed episode? "Katastrophe!" ... Yeah, not really a good starting point to try to get into a show with so many characters at once (trying to figure out names and relationships), but needless to say I was hooked. Luckily this was back when the show featured the "Today on SWAT Kats" teasers and the following week's episode was "The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice" which featured Razor giving a detailed narrative on who they and other characters are (and also the ONLY time Jake's last name of Clawson is said on screen).
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:22 am

Katney wrote:Luckily this was back when the show featured the "Today on SWAT Kats" teasers and the following week's episode was "The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice" which featured Razor giving a detailed narrative on who they and other characters are (and also the ONLY time Jake's last name of Clawson is said on screen).

I've seen a few of those "Today on SWAT Kats" previews from recordings of old TBS airings (Cartoon Network apparently did away with them), but I've never seen the narrative which preceded The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice. As glad as I am that Warner Archive's DVD-R of the series restored that episode's long absent title card, I wish they'd restored the preceding narrative as well (and the "Today on SWAT Kats" previews), just for completion's sake.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Katney
Resident

Postby Katney » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:15 am

Kooshmeister wrote:I've seen a few of those "Today on SWAT Kats" previews from recordings of old TBS airings (Cartoon Network apparently did away with them), but I've never seen the narrative which preceded The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice. As glad as I am that Warner Archive's DVD-R of the series restored that episode's long absent title card, I wish they'd restored the preceding narrative as well (and the "Today on SWAT Kats" previews), just for completion's sake.

Yeah, by the time I caught the show on Cartoon Network the previews were gone, so were The Secret Files of the SWAT Kats that came on before the end credits. I forgot that was the only other place that revealed Jake's last name. At least the VHS releases included a few of those as "commercial breaks", including Razor's.
2 x

Jacob1290
Raccoon with a pen

Postby Jacob1290 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:44 am

Kooshmeister wrote:
Katney wrote:Luckily this was back when the show featured the "Today on SWAT Kats" teasers and the following week's episode was "The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice" which featured Razor giving a detailed narrative on who they and other characters are (and also the ONLY time Jake's last name of Clawson is said on screen).

I've seen a few of those "Today on SWAT Kats" previews from recordings of old TBS airings (Cartoon Network apparently did away with them), but I've never seen the narrative which preceded The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice. As glad as I am that Warner Archive's DVD-R of the series restored that episode's long absent title card, I wish they'd restored the preceding narrative as well (and the "Today on SWAT Kats" previews), just for completion's sake.

Is there a way for me to hear it at all?
I just wanna hear jake state his own last name. that's something I Need in my life lol
2 x
If there's a will, There's a way. #LoveWins
I got myself a medal of honor just by sitting in the dark drawing
Website HERE >> http://swatkats.net/ <<
ImageImage

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:29 am

I want to see it too ᶘ *ᴥ*ᶅ It would be cool if someone had a record of it or something.
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Katney wrote:At least the VHS releases included a few of those as "commercial breaks", including Razor's.

Are you referring to the retail VHS releases? I have one of those that I never opened from many years ago...

At 1:31 on the VHS commercial, there's a reference to those.

I'll have to dust off an old VCR along with my RCA analog to digital converter and take a look to see if those are actually there.
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Katney wrote:Yeah, by the time I caught the show on Cartoon Network the previews were gone, so were The Secret Files of the SWAT Kats that came on before the end credits.

Cartoon Network did sometimes show The Secret Files of the SWAT Kats, but only for season one episodes I think. I distinctly remember seeing the one for Dr. Viper. But after a while they started to quit showing them, probably to make room for commercials; it'd be about fifty-fifty whether one would be shown. By the time the series moved to Boomerang, they were gone completely.
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Katney
Resident

Postby Katney » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Jacob1290 wrote:Is there a way for me to hear it at all?
I just wanna hear jake state his own last name. that's something I Need in my life lol

I've never actually seen any of them on YouTube or anything. I've kept old VHS recordings of the show, can't promise I have that particular airing. I'd have to dig things out and probably install things on my computer.
1 x

Katney
Resident

Postby Katney » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:28 pm

MoDaD wrote:
Katney wrote:At least the VHS releases included a few of those as "commercial breaks", including Razor's.

Are you referring to the retail VHS releases? I have one of those that I never opened from many years ago...
At 1:31 on the VHS commercial, there's a reference to those.
I'll have to dust off an old VCR along with my RCA analog to digital converter and take a look to see if those are actually there.

Yeah, the retail VHS releases. If I remember right Razor's profile is on the Dark Kat one. What's funny, on the Dr. Viper one they cut into a Secret File when it wasn't a commercial break. Callie hit Razor with a ceramic pot, black out to Razor falling to the ground, insert a secret file, and then back to Callie's line. X3
3 x

LAKenji
Just Moved In
Flag: Columbia

Postby LAKenji » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:27 pm

In my childhood. I didn't have cable in that time when in public TV I saw an interesting fighting plane.
Later I get cable and put the TV in CN channel. The first thing I saw was a big yellow cat and his partner, a brown short cat, fighting against a big dinosaur.
I get caught to the series but the Manga-Anime wave came later and I forget about the series untill 2003, when I was looking for something interesting in the webring communities.
I found something called: Strike SWAT Kats Fan zone.
The rest is history...
3 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”