Podcast Development

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: United States of America

Re: Podcast Development

Postby Ty-Chou » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:1. The podcast covered every. Single. Second of the episode.

MoDaD wrote:It's amusing to me that you mention this, because I've had other people (who shall remain anonymous) who've told me they've had the exact opposite position. That NOT every single second is covered, and that things have been skipped or glossed over. But, I understand your concern.

Yes, I am quite sure my opinion is not everyone's opinion. And I don't think the podcast should stop doing these types of episodes. Many fans enjoy and will continue to enjoy them. In fact, I think they are perfect for your first episodes to help you get your feet wet with this project. I've been thinking about the format today and why I didn't want to sit through the whole thing. I think the aspect of what, I felt, made the format drag was the fact that after every commentary, you kind of narrate and explain the next scene coming up. And I realize you have to do this because there is no visual. You have to move the podcast along. But maybe a podcast isn't the best format?

Your trailer for episode 2 with full visual of those talking and the scene they're talking about was immediately more entertaining to me. Would these episode reviews be better served as Youtube videos instead? Or, maybe consider playing the audio of the episode. (I know I've seen the eps so much the audio brings the scenes right to my mind.) So people are commenting on the episode while it's playing. And you can pause it in places if the commentators want to talk about something for a while before moving on.

These are just random ideas. I don't know if they're useful or even easily possible with the tech you have. Take what you want from it. Either way, what I would really like to see is a group discussion of the episode as a whole at the end. I may skip the middle of these types of episodes, but I will probably check out the group discussion every time if there is one.

MoDaD wrote:That would be neat. But, maybe our little SWAT Kast will so infuriate potential listeners that it will inspire super talented people to make their own SWAT Kats podcast out of spite, just to prove they can do it better. Then, I can listen to it and enjoy it, and everyone wins. Madkatlaughing

I can't imagine anyone being mad about this lovely project. You just got started. Don't be hard on yourself. The first episodes are always going to be the worst ones while you figure things out.

Though the idea of getting up there to talk and geek about Swat Kats yourself is SO very tempting. I really agree with Felony's idea of perhaps doing an "interview" or a one on one with a guest fan every now and again. There are some fans I would love to hear from, like how they got into Swat Kats and just what the experience was for them during their involvement in the fan community.

Ty-Chou wrote:Just off the top of my head, I can think of a whole pile of episode ideas.

MoDaD wrote:Now you're just teasing. Please, dump that wheelbarrow of thoughts here.

Oh man, to be honest, the selfish part of me wants to keep them forever, especially a select few topics, because I would be mega jealous to hear someone else talk about the topics I would be dying to blather on about. LOL

But if you would like to discuss possible ideas with me or get feedback of your own ideas or whatever, feel free to contact me. I do have a little bit of Podcast experience. (Been on.... four different podcasts, I think?) And I have been doing geeky fan panels at conventions for over a decade so I have experience putting a presentation together for an audience. You are welcome to make use of my experience if you wish. Or not. That is also fine.

Again, I wish the project all the luck in the world and I hope we continue to see new episodes in the future!
2 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: United States of America

Re: Podcast Development

Postby Ty-Chou » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Work was still slow, so I decided I would listen to episode one in its entirety. I definitely enjoyed it more the second time. I think it's largely to the fact that, this time, I was stuck at my desk I wasn't going anywhere for a while so I wasn't in the mindset of trying to hurry the thing along.

And this episode actually gave me a few good chuckles. There were some pretty good jokes in here which brings me to a new critique of this episode. The editing could have used more comedic timing. There would be a good zinger, something that I thought was particularly clever or funny, and there was no sort of pause or banter to even acknowledge that what was said was funny. I think there was even one time where I could hear one joke even get cut a tiny bit on the last syllable. There wasn't even any laughter. Which left me wondering if no one else thought the line was funny, or did all the laughter get cut out?

All the dialog had this feel of cutting in and then cutting out, as if each person was recorded separately and then pasted together. Maybe it was? If not, the three of you kind of sound like three strangers meeting for the first time. You all love Swat Kats, but are not necessarily comfortable talking to each other. One liners are kind of just delivered and then immediately moving on. I'm assuming the reason the three of you are the ones on this podcast is because you're friends. I'd love to hear more of that in future episodes and just an all around more comfort level from the three of you as the episodes go on. Episode two definitely felt a bit smoother than episode one and I hope it continues to improve. TurmoilIcon
2 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”