Unanswered Questions

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
marhawkman
Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: Unanswered Questions

Postby marhawkman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:50 am

Right, but like I said, who made it and why? Doesn't seem like the sort of thing that has many practical uses.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:20 pm

You could say the same thing about all the other katalysts manufactured at Megakat Biochemical Labs. And you're right that the ones we see don't really have much practical use:

Katalyst 96 - Makes bugs grow giant (with the added ingredient of Viper's mutagen-tainted blood).

Katalyst 99 - Don't know what it does, exactly, but it's volatile as heck and explodes when shaken. "With your help, I will have Katalyst 99, and the power to dessstroy Megakat City!" enthuses Viper. ViperSMile

Katalyst 100 - No clue what it does, either. But both Dark Kat and Viper wanted it. Viper said, "We're here to find Katalyssst 100. With it, I will bring Megakat City to its kneesss." ViperLaughCait

Katalyst X-63 - A "hideous mutating ooze," whose effects can be transmitted by bite. We don't know, though, if Viper altered it in some way before flooding the city with it; I doubt it, though, 'cause it had immediate effects right out of the bottle (well, flask) when used both on the frog and later Viper himself.

Other chemicals:

Viper Mutagen 368 - Intended to have a practical use as a plant growth formula with "snake extract," it was flawed as heck and turned both Dr. Purvis and a perfectly innocent flower into serpentine monstrosities.

Bacteria Strain - An invention of Viper's. A purplish lumpy germ culture, likely with some other crap added; add to kat and instant bacteria monster. Not really a chemical, per say, but has the same effect as a mutagen. BacteriaDivide

Growth Formula - Another invention of Viper's. He either uses it to create the Plantimals or gives it to them to make them grow bigger and stronger; he never says one way or the other, just that, "Thanksss to my growth formula, thisss 'building' is now impenetrable!" implying it was mainly used for the wall of vines outside, although he's seen giving some to a Venus' flytrap to make it grow really huge.

And unless I missed anything, that's all the nasty, nasty mutating crap used in the show. It's possible, though, that the other katalysts (1-95 and possibly A-W and their numbered sub-types) do have practical, beneficial uses; Viper never wants them, though, because stuff that's beneficial to katkind is of no interest to him, so we never see any good chemicals (antibiotics, weed killer and anti-mutagens aside).
4 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

marhawkman
Resident

Postby marhawkman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Hmm reading what you wrote I wonder if the writers intended for some of them to be failed experiments? IE we made this stuff, but it has a horrendous side-effect?
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Or they have uses other than what Viper wanted them for. There's some poisons, for example, that have beneficial medical uses in the right doses.
1 x

marhawkman
Resident

Postby marhawkman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 pm

Makes me wonder what those are though. some of them would have to be extremely complex biological agents...
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:21 am

I don't know. Biochemistry isn't my strong suit. ViperLaughCait
0 x

NeeKnight
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Great Britain

Postby NeeKnight » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:You could say the same thing about all the other katalysts manufactured at Megakat Biochemical Labs. And you're right that the ones we see don't really have much practical use:

Katalyst 96 - Makes bugs grow giant (with the added ingredient of Viper's mutagen-tainted blood).

Katalyst 99 - Don't know what it does, exactly, but it's volatile as heck and explodes when shaken. "With your help, I will have Katalyst 99, and the power to dessstroy Megakat City!" enthuses Viper. ViperSMile

Katalyst 100 - No clue what it does, either. But both Dark Kat and Viper wanted it. Viper said, "We're here to find Katalyssst 100. With it, I will bring Megakat City to its kneesss." ViperLaughCait

Katalyst X-63 - A "hideous mutating ooze," whose effects can be transmitted by bite. We don't know, though, if Viper altered it in some way before flooding the city with it; I doubt it, though, 'cause it had immediate effects right out of the bottle (well, flask) when used both on the frog and later Viper himself.

Other chemicals:

Viper Mutagen 368 - Intended to have a practical use as a plant growth formula with "snake extract," it was flawed as heck and turned both Dr. Purvis and a perfectly innocent flower into serpentine monstrosities.

Bacteria Strain - An invention of Viper's. A purplish lumpy germ culture, likely with some other crap added; add to kat and instant bacteria monster. Not really a chemical, per say, but has the same effect as a mutagen. BacteriaDivide

Growth Formula - Another invention of Viper's. He either uses it to create the Plantimals or gives it to them to make them grow bigger and stronger; he never says one way or the other, just that, "Thanksss to my growth formula, thisss 'building' is now impenetrable!" implying it was mainly used for the wall of vines outside, although he's seen giving some to a Venus' flytrap to make it grow really huge.

And unless I missed anything, that's all the nasty, nasty mutating crap used in the show. It's possible, though, that the other katalysts (1-95 and possibly A-W and their numbered sub-types) do have practical, beneficial uses; Viper never wants them, though, because stuff that's beneficial to katkind is of no interest to him, so we never see any good chemicals (antibiotics, weed killer and anti-mutagens aside).

Just reading this and ... I really fear Megakat Biochemical Labs. might be Fallout's Vault Tec. of the SWAT Kats world. XD Just Hundreds of these things each designed "because we can... FOR SCIENCE" RazLaugh Katalyst 77 - Turns those who drink it in to handpuppets. Katalyst 4-11 - Makes kats allergic to the colour purple. Katalyst 66 - Causes mistrust in shekats but gigglefits in toms. And my personal favourite, Katalyst 30 - Forces those afflicted to sing everything as if they were in a broadway musical!
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:07 am

Fortunately, they're run by a gentle-hearted scientist who has the best interests of katkind at heart... assuming he survived his implied death, anyway. And even if he did...

Zyme: [dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts] I survived, but I'm quitting. This job is way too stressful. I'm retiring to Anakata Island, bye! [takes off]

If Zyme did die or retire, it'd depend on who the new administrator was, and what their views on science were.

Viper: [poorly disguised and speaking with a French accent] No, no, I am not Dr. Viper. I am Dr. Vipère! I am the new adminissstrator--I mean administrator.

ViperLaughCait
0 x

marhawkman
Resident

Postby marhawkman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:32 am

Katalyst 99 sounds like it might be an industrial chemical. Something analogous to paint stripper but a bit more volatile. Maybe something they use in refining agricite?

96... we actually have no idea. Maybe it is an agent to facilitate hybridizing species? Wait that's more disturbing than the idea that it makes things grow giant.

X-63.... how much of that was there really? hundreds of gallons?
1 x

Cody Furlong
Resident

Postby Cody Furlong » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:23 pm

We never see any sports stadiums anywhere,, or hear about sporting teams playing around the city. Do they have things like football, baseball, or other sports?
0 x
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

Return to “SK Show Discussion”