Succubus! (The Curse of Kataluna) Plot Summary

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Re: Succubus! (The Curse of Kataluna) Plot Summary

Postby AkaneKitty » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pm

I was thinking up another topic when I realized I hadn't fleshed out some of my thoughts.

*While I would appreciate the episode I know I would have been resentful of the fact that it was less about Feral and his family and more about potential pairings.
    Nothing new was learned about Feral. Due to Kataluna's manipulations, we don't even know if she's his type! We don't get any info about how Feral's brother would react to this, and nothing much about the bond Feral and Felina share.

And while the romance author in me likes the implications of possible pairings I have to side eye looking woobieish again by being left out of all that. Especially since Felina would look to get a pairing, leap frogging over Feral whose been there since day one. Feral gets left out of the romance ships, making it yet another thing that doesn't work for him or it works against him. He can't get anything going against the SWAT Kats, yet he can't have a relationship either? If anything you'd expect Feral to have relationships, even if they were failed ones due to being "married" to the job.

A quick fix to this point would be Felina mentioning various family member reactions to Feral dating Kataluna. It would have the easiest way to see if Feral's parents/Felina's grandparents were still around and how the relationships in the family are. Plus, maybe even had someone Feral would have taken to the opera, if not for Kataluna's manipulations, make an appearance.

*Felina's agency taken away only to bolster the need for the SWAT Kats.
    The SWAT Kats shouldn't have been needed much in this episode. They shouldn't have been fighting Kataluna AND that other monster.
    Felina should have been taking charge. She's the one who could lose her uncle, so she should have been investigating and getting herself out of tight scrapes. And at the climax, she should have been kicking Kataluna's tail.

The SWAT Kats didn't have to be the focus. They could be in the episode, but not the focus. Especially when they had to force an Enforcer nonresponse to Felina's mayday just so T-Bone could save the day. Felina being a ranked officer, along with being Feral's niece would have got a response. Universe trope back into play.

Also, Felina had better gave that communicator back to T-Bone once the threat to Feral was over. I would not accept her keeping it, only to lead to the inevitable episode where Feral finds out about and is shouted down and being made to look like a bad guy when he would have every right to feel hurt and betrayed. Felina being in direct communication with the SWAT Kats betrays Feral and her fellow Enforcers, and is something that shouldn't be given lip service. If she was going to take it, then it's something that would need its own episode to handle the fallout.
    4 x

marklungo
    Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Akane, you make some valid points about "Succubus!" and SWAT Kats in general. I think most of us on this forum (including me) would have liked to see the series evolve to be more character-oriented if it had continued. The problem is that the show we as adult fans would enjoy is very different from the show that Hanna-Barbera was trying to make.

SWAT Kats was primarily an action/adventure series intended to thrill grade school boys (and hopefully get them to buy licensed merchandise). Its main selling point was T-Bone and Razor fighting supervillains and giant monsters, with lots of explosions and mass destruction along the way. Characterization and relationships were just icing on the cake, and I doubt Buzz Potamkin would have have allowed too much focus on any of the supporting cast, even a character as awesome as Felina. Miraculously, the show was so entertaining despite its flaws that it attracted many viewers outside of its target demographic, and even managed to keep a lot of us well into adulthood. Fortunately, the Tremblays seem to be aware of what the fans want, and if Revolution ever gets off the ground, we just might get the more mature SWAT Kats we've always wanted.
    Last edited by marklungo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
    5 x
    "Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

AkaneKitty
    Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks for the compliment Mark!

But I'm not looking for more mature (though it may be nice depending on which direction they take), I just wanted consistency with Feral's character. I point out these things out because it's frustrating seeing the character twisted so much. Whether it be a non villianous antagonist or villain , if they just picked a direction and stuck it out it probably would have been fine.

As it stands it make Feral woobieish when these things happen to him, because what his character does doesn't match up to what's said and expected of him. Especially when he reacts to what the SWAT Kats do instead of acting against them.

Because of the inconsistency we have the universe trope come into play. The universe twisting itself just so the SKs look good end up making the Enforcers look like they abandoned their sister at arms, which ends up adding to the narrative that the Enforcers as whole are bad. Then this narrative would probably be flipped in the very next episode when the script calls for canon fodder. And the irritating thing is that the script could have simply called for a busted radio where Felina couldn't call out, so the Enforcers wouldn't look bad for nothing.

But then again, I think way too hard about these things.
    3 x

marklungo
    Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25 am

AkaneKitty wrote:And the irritating thing is that the script could have simply called for a busted radio where Felina couldn't call out, so the Enforcers wouldn't look bad for nothing.

That is an excellent point.

AkaneKitty wrote:But then again, I think way too hard about these things.

I prefer to look at it as the writers not thinking hard enough. SinianThisCait

I just had an idea. How do we know the version of the script I have is the final draft? Maybe they would have fixed some of these flaws before recording the dialogue. At least I hope so...
    2 x

Jiesi
    Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 am

Mm maybe a quick fix to get an idea of Ferals relationship history maybe Felina could make a quick reference to an ex like I know you still miss.... or she does look like aunt..... but there's something off about her.
    Also I think I remember Lance Falk bringing up ideas about two parters. It might be easier to have a side story of a supporting character that way.
    3 x
    Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

marklungo
    Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 am

Jiesi wrote:Also I think I remember Lance Falk bringing up ideas about two parters. It might be easier to have a side story of a supporting character that way.

Yes, if SWAT Kats had gotten an order for 65 episodes like it should have, the writers would have had many chances to play with the format and deepen characterization while keeping the action/adventure elements. (BTW, they'd already been experimenting by doing the 11-minute episodes. Not every experiment is a success...)
    1 x

Kooshmeister
    Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:03 pm

AkaneKitty wrote:And the irritating thing is that the script could have simply called for a busted radio where Felina couldn't call out, so the Enforcers wouldn't look bad for nothing.

But then there'd need to be another reason for T-Bone to show up, because the whole reason he shows up at Skycor Towers at all is because he heard Felina's backup request on the radio (he was tuned in to the Enforcer band).
    1 x
    R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Jiesi
    Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:11 am

An 11 min episode is like those 100calorie snack bags. It's ok but doesn't really fix your craving.
    3 x
    Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

Prettyshadowj26
    Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 am

AkaneKitty wrote:I was thinking up another topic when I realized I hadn't fleshed out some of my thoughts.

*While I would appreciate the episode I know I would have been resentful of the fact that it was less about Feral and his family and more about potential pairings.
      Nothing new was learned about Feral. Due to Kataluna's manipulations, we don't even know if she's his type! We don't get any info about how Feral's brother would react to this, and nothing much about the bond Feral and Felina share.

And while the romance author in me likes the implications of possible pairings I have to side eye looking woobieish again by being left out of all that. Especially since Felina would look to get a pairing, leap frogging over Feral whose been there since day one. Feral gets left out of the romance ships, making it yet another thing that doesn't work for him or it works against him. He can't get anything going against the SWAT Kats, yet he can't have a relationship either? If anything you'd expect Feral to have relationships, even if they were failed ones due to being "married" to the job.

A quick fix to this point would be Felina mentioning various family member reactions to Feral dating Kataluna. It would have the easiest way to see if Feral's parents/Felina's grandparents were still around and how the relationships in the family are. Plus, maybe even had someone Feral would have taken to the opera, if not for Kataluna's manipulations, make an appearance.

*Felina's agency taken away only to bolster the need for the SWAT Kats.
      The SWAT Kats shouldn't have been needed much in this episode. They shouldn't have been fighting Kataluna AND that other monster.
      Felina should have been taking charge. She's the one who could lose her uncle, so she should have been investigating and getting herself out of tight scrapes. And at the climax, she should have been kicking Kataluna's tail.

The SWAT Kats didn't have to be the focus. They could be in the episode, but not the focus. Especially when they had to force an Enforcer nonresponse to Felina's mayday just so T-Bone could save the day. Felina being a ranked officer, along with being Feral's niece would have got a response. Universe trope back into play.

Also, Felina had better gave that communicator back to T-Bone once the threat to Feral was over. I would not accept her keeping it, only to lead to the inevitable episode where Feral finds out about and is shouted down and being made to look like a bad guy when he would have every right to feel hurt and betrayed. Felina being in direct communication with the SWAT Kats betrays Feral and her fellow Enforcers, and is something that shouldn't be given lip service. If she was going to take it, then it's something that would need its own episode to handle the fallout.

Actually I think Felina should keep the Communicator beeper and hide it too just in case Feral & his Enforcers Failed to stop the bad guys you know how stubborn Feral is and beside she the second supporter of the Swat kats
      1 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”