Succubus! (The Curse of Kataluna) Plot Summary

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
marklungo
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Re: Succubus! (The Curse of Kataluna) Plot Summary

Postby marklungo » Thu May 12, 2016 8:23 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:Mark Lungo was kind enough to send me a copy of Glenn Leopold's script for Succubus!, a.k.a. "The Curse of Kataluna" (a name never mentioned once in the story). From what Mark tells me, the title was deemed too sexually suggestive,

I admit this is just speculation on my part.

Kooshmeister wrote:and by the time Hanna-Barbera had actually moved on to production of the episode, shortly before the series' cancellation, one assumes, the title would've been changed. As well as a lot of the dialogue, since the word succubus is mentioned a lot, and the villain's monster form is even called the Succubus.

Actually, I wonder if the version of the script I have is a final draft, and how much of the dialogue was changed by the time it was recorded.
2 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu May 12, 2016 9:12 pm

AkaneKitty wrote:Should I ask just what Katrina did to him? No? :oops: I'm a writer okay? I need answers! :lol:

It's never really said, not then, anyway. Felina neither notices nor comments on his appearance until he's aged slightly more by the next time we see him. Which is after his (sadly offscreen) lunch date with Katrina. Which is odd. If his appearance in the first office scene is the result of his date with Katrina at the philharmonic, i.e., the obvious implication being that she siphoned a teensy bit of his lifeforce from him, why does she suddenly begin aging so drastically during the drive back home? Especially since this is presumably not long after she drained Geno (the dockworker). Questions the script refuses to answer clearly, aside from a few lines about how draining regular victims (i.e. guys not head over heels in love with her) only restores her beauty for a brief amount of time.

AkaneKitty wrote:Interesting. Angry since he's under Katrina's influence or because Felina struck out on her own without backup?

A combination, I'd say, plus understandable indignation that his niece went to his girlfriend's house and questioned her employees. In his mind, Felina is sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong.

It's worth noting that she did radio for backup, complete with her name, rank and location as well as a good description of the situation, but between then and when she and T-Bone leave Skycor, no other Enforcers arrive, and the fight is a few pages long, too. Must've been a busy night for the Enforcers for backup to have taken so long.

AkaneKitty wrote:But good they gave him that line though. :D

I agree. It's nice seeing Feral being witty and having a bit of snark.

AkaneKitty wrote:No one believes in operation security anymore.

"It's just some creepy Austrian guy in a trenchcoat with a weird furry thing. No funny business here. Let 'im through, Dale."

AkaneKitty wrote:So how and why did Katrina latch on to Feral for this? Is he special in some way?

By and large, no, except that Geno is described as the largest of the dockworkers at the beginning, and the Skycor foreman is said to be "burly." Also, Ann Gora's report explicitly says the five missing/later dead guys who preceded them were all "large." Which means Katrina's taste (literal and figurative) in men runs towards the muscly, brawny type, and few guys in Megakat City can outdo Feral in this department. In her initial meeting with him, she tells him she's wanted to him for a while, so I imagine she saw him in pictures or on TV or something and thought, "Oooh, Mama wants a piece of that!"

After all, she may be a soul-sucking demonic beast from the great beyond... but she's still a red-blooded heterosexual female, and it's obvious she's got a type. ;)

MoDaD wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but this episode (in its current state as you describe it) seems to have the least amount of onscreen SWAT Kats presence so far, and a lot of onscreen time for Felina Feral and Callie Briggs. Is that accurate, or is it just the way you've written the summary?

They're in it a little more than I've described, but, by and large, yes, Felina and Callie get the most screentime from what I can tell. I was initially surprised when first thumbing through it that it's actually several pages in before the SWAT Kats appear (their first scene is the one involving them trying to repair Callie's car). They aren't exactly sidelined, but, until the final battle at the end, the story is very much about Feral, Katrina, Felina and Callie and their lives. All other characters, even the SWAT Kats, are subordinate to this plotline. It's very much the story of these four characters.

MoDaD wrote:As it's written, this may have been my favorite episode

I'm inclined to agree. Initially, I wasn't much interested in it, but Mark really sold me on it and the more I found myself enjoying it the more I read of it when I finally got it, the more annoyed I became that the show was cancelled before it got finished.

MoDaD wrote:But, I can see an executive scratching his chin and saying "this is too convoluted, make it more about the SWAT Kats and stop focusing on these other characters. Why can't the succubus just be after T-Bone/Razor instead of Feral?"

But apparently this didn't happen, thank goodness, and what I'm reading is, besides the title, what was the final approved script; it's possible Glenn Leopold focused it so much on someone besides T-Bone and Razor as a way of making up for Lance Falk's original idea(s) for Cry Turmoil being torpedoed.

MoDaD wrote:I'm wondering if my thoughts are why it was slated for one of "last" spots late in the season, as if they were anticipating only two seasons and wanted to end on something really strong (something other shows have done). Or, am I way off base?

Maybe, I dunno. We'd need to ask Glenn Leopold. Interestingly, its episode code lists it as 94009. Which would appear to mean it was originally intended as the second season's ninth episode. Which, admittedly, doesn't mean anything; episodes are aired out of production order all the time. If I had to guess, the title change and requests that Leopold change the dialogue to remove mention of succubi may have held it back, and it was only approved after the ninth episode slot had been filled by The Dark Side of the SWAT Kats, forcing Succubus! (rechristened The Curse of Kataluna) to come presumably after Unlikely Alloys as the season's eleventh episode, or possibly even the season finale. And while I think Unlikely Alloys, despite not being intended as such, is in many ways a strong finisher and a good story for the show to have gone out on, The Curse of Kataluna, if only the title and some dialogue was changed and nothing else, would've been an even better episode.

I do wonder if they could've gotten away with it, though; since the original title includes the exclamation point I keep giving it, if nothing else, calling it Succubus! would mean poor Volcanus Erupts! wouldn't be alone anymore. :lol:

AkaneKitty wrote:(though I would have tweaked the story a bit as it relates to Feral's "betrayal").

Me too.
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Fri May 13, 2016 11:26 am

Kooshmeister wrote:It's never really said, not then, anyway. Felina neither notices nor comments on his appearance until he's aged slightly more by the next time we see him. Which is after his (sadly offscreen) lunch date with Katrina. Which is odd. If his appearance in the first office scene is the result of his date with Katrina at the philharmonic, i.e., the obvious implication being that she siphoned a teensy bit of his lifeforce from him, why does she suddenly begin aging so drastically during the drive back home? Especially since this is presumably not long after she drained Geno (the dockworker). Questions the script refuses to answer clearly, aside from a few lines about how draining regular victims (i.e. guys not head over heels in love with her) only restores her beauty for a brief amount of time.

Huh. Maybe the date at the harmonic was test to see if he can be used for the eclipse coming up since he's the type she likes. But she didn't take enough of Feral's life force during the test which makes her age rapidly?

Kooshmeister wrote:It's worth noting that she did radio for backup, complete with her name, rank and location as well as a good description of the situation, but between then and when she and T-Bone leave Skycor, no other Enforcers arrive, and the fight is a few pages long, too. Must've been a busy night for the Enforcers for backup to have taken so long.

Argh! That universe trope again of making the Enforcers look silly, even though that would never happen!

An officer in distress type of call brings out all forms of backup in the real life. There is no way this would get ignored, even if it is a busy night in MKC, especially since Felina is Feral's niece! Feral would immediately get a call about his officers in trouble, again, since it's Felina. And even though Feral's smitten with Katrina, I don't he would ignore a call for help from his niece at this particular point.

The at large Enforcers didn't need to be brought down so Felina looks hyper competent, nor to make T-Bone a hero. Felina could simply make the call for help only to realize that her radio's bused, and then T-Bone swoops in.

Kooshmeister wrote:I agree. It's nice seeing Feral being witty and having a bit of snark.

I would love to see more of snarky Feral. At this point of the series, he's earned the right to start snarking.

Kooshmeister wrote:After all, she may be a soul-sucking demonic beast from the great beyond... but she's still a red-blooded heterosexual female, and it's obvious she's got a type. ;)

Heh. Feral needs love too. I kinda like that because not everyone is going to fall for a SWAT Kat, nor Callie. I'm sure Feral and Felina have some admirers.

Kooshmeister wrote:
AkaneKitty wrote:(though I would have tweaked the story a bit as it relates to Feral's "betrayal").

Me too.

Yeah no way Feral comes back to the light just because the SKs are winning. Nope, nope, nope. And that would have damaged Feral's character instead of enhancing and adding to it.
2 x

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:44 pm

AkaneKitty wrote:
Kooshmeister wrote:It's never really said, not then, anyway. Felina neither notices nor comments on his appearance until he's aged slightly more by the next time we see him. Which is after his (sadly offscreen) lunch date with Katrina. Which is odd. If his appearance in the first office scene is the result of his date with Katrina at the philharmonic, i.e., the obvious implication being that she siphoned a teensy bit of his lifeforce from him, why does she suddenly begin aging so drastically during the drive back home? Especially since this is presumably not long after she drained Geno (the dockworker). Questions the script refuses to answer clearly, aside from a few lines about how draining regular victims (i.e. guys not head over heels in love with her) only restores her beauty for a brief amount of time.

Huh. Maybe the date at the harmonic was test to see if he can be used for the eclipse coming up since he's the type she likes. But she didn't take enough of Feral's life force during the test which makes her age rapidly?

Kooshmeister wrote:It's worth noting that she did radio for backup, complete with her name, rank and location as well as a good description of the situation, but between then and when she and T-Bone leave Skycor, no other Enforcers arrive, and the fight is a few pages long, too. Must've been a busy night for the Enforcers for backup to have taken so long.

Argh! That universe trope again of making the Enforcers look silly, even though that would never happen!

An officer in distress type of call brings out all forms of backup in the real life. There is no way this would get ignored, even if it is a busy night in MKC, especially since Felina is Feral's niece! Feral would immediately get a call about his officers in trouble, again, since it's Felina. And even though Feral's smitten with Katrina, I don't he would ignore a call for help from his niece at this particular point.

The at large Enforcers didn't need to be brought down so Felina looks hyper competent, nor to make T-Bone a hero. Felina could simply make the call for help only to realize that her radio's bused, and then T-Bone swoops in.

Kooshmeister wrote:I agree. It's nice seeing Feral being witty and having a bit of snark.

I would love to see more of snarky Feral. At this point of the series, he's earned the right to start snarking.

Kooshmeister wrote:After all, she may be a soul-sucking demonic beast from the great beyond... but she's still a red-blooded heterosexual female, and it's obvious she's got a type. ;)

Heh. Feral needs love too. I kinda like that because not everyone is going to fall for a SWAT Kat, nor Callie. I'm sure Feral and Felina have some admirers.

Kooshmeister wrote:

Me too.

Yeah no way Feral comes back to the light just because the SKs are winning. Nope, nope, nope. And that would have damaged Feral's character instead of enhancing and adding to it.

Too shae Too shae Commander Feral will never like the Swat Kats no matter how times they save the city BTW I will love to see Katrina looks like perhaps I could draw a picture of her
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri May 13, 2016 6:03 pm

AkaneKitty wrote:Huh. Maybe the date at the harmonic was test to see if he can be used for the eclipse coming up since he's the type she likes. But she didn't take enough of Feral's life force during the test which makes her age rapidly?

That makes sense.

AkaneKitty wrote:Felina could simply make the call for help only to realize that her radio's bused, and then T-Bone swoops in.

Unfortunately, this would create a problem. If the radio is busted, Felina can't call out, and so her backup request wouldn't be heard on the Enforcer band, which T-Bone is listening to, and consequently he wouldn't know she was in trouble, so he wouldn't have any reason to be anywhere near Skycor Towers and do any swooping.

AkaneKitty wrote:I'm sure Feral and Felina have some admirers.

Yes, and I'm one of them. :D

Prettyshadowj26 wrote:Too shae Too shae Commander Feral will never like the Swat Kats no matter how times they save the city

True, I guess, but what does this have to do with the current topic?

Prettyshadowj26 wrote:BTW I will love to see Katrina looks like perhaps I could draw a picture of her

Go for it. I can flip through the script and find all times any part of her is described, so you can have some idea of hair color, etc.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri May 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Onward!

Before the three she-kats get turned into street pizza, Razor launches an "Airbag Missile" to save them. This resembles a regular missile and is aimed at the ground underneath falling people. Upon impact, it blows up revealing an expanding air cushion which catches the trio and breaks their fall. Now that they've seen to that, T-Bone flies around to the other side of the building, where the tri-head fell off, so they can deal with the beastie, but it's gone. There's a big mess where it landed, but they only find the discarded Mega-Octopus Missile. They don't notice Katrina's limo speeding off. Inside, Katrina has her pet ferret in her lap and chides it for failing her, revealing that it is the three-headed monster! Behind the wheel, Otto warns her that Felina "knows too much," but Katrina dismisses it for now, since by tomorrow night it won't matter anymore what Felina can or can't prove.

At Enforcer Headquarters the next day, an irked Felina has just finished telling her uncle about Dr. Sinian's theory. Feral, visibly having aged enough now that his niece can't ignore it, has added a new item to his ordinarily spartan desktop: a framed glamor photo of Katrina. Feral chides her for coming to him with such nonsense. Indicating the photo, which he can't stop fawning over like a little lovestruck boy, he asks her, "Is that the face of a succubus?" Evidently he wasn't paying attention to the "she disguises herself as a hot babe" part. Felina becomes angry. She tries to insist that the monster attack meant Katrina was having them spied on and tried to have them silenced, but Feral, also becoming angry, suggests she "take some time off." Ouch.

Felina gives up her uncle as hopeless at this point and resolves to go pester Katrina, but makes the mistake of announcing it out loud, causing Feral to jump up and forbid it. The Ferals argue. Niece points out that he's aged at least ten years since meeting Katrina, while uncle brushes off her concerns, insisting he's never felt more alive. And then Feral drops a bombshell. A big one. Responding to Felina's plea that he at least have Katrina brought in for interrogation, he says he does into to question her. "And the question I intend to ask is a more important one," he says, producing a diamond engagement ring, to Felina's horror. Yep, Feral's going to pop the question, folks. Katrina has invited him out to Moorkroft Manor for a romantic dinner and he intends to ask Ms. Katrina Moorkroft to be Mrs. Katrina Feral. Felina simply says she has heard love is blind... but she just hopes that, for her uncle's sake, she hopes it isn't fatal, but Feral isn't paying attention anymore, having gone back to fawning over the photo.

Cut to that night. Feral and Katrina eat a lavish fish dinner in the dining room of Moorkroft Manor. Feral is wearing a tux, and Katrina has an elegant gown. They're waited on hand and foot by servants. Outside, Felina is spying on them through a window using binoculars. Evidently she's been there a while, because nothing sinister has happened and she's beginning to grow impatient and upset with herself. Wondering whether she's wrong about Katrina, her mind turns to wondering, with annoyance, what she's going to wear to the wedding, when she suddenly notices Otto and Laszlo driving away from the mansion with their headlights off. Suspicious, she tries to decide: stay and continue spying on her uncle's date, or follow the flunkeys? She opts for the latter, and follows them with her lights off, too.

She tails them to Megakat Marsh, and hides in some bushes and watches them. And then we get something I swear I never thought I'd see in a SWAT Kats episode. We've seen dead bodies in the show before. But we've never seen what happens here. Otto and Laszlo go open the trunk... and take out a shrouded form with a familiar-looking booted foot sticking out. It's the dead Skycor Towers construction foreman. Yes, the villain's henchmen are doing a gangland-style body dump in the swamp. In SWAT Kats. Realizing she was right about Katrina after all, Felina leaps out and holds Otto and Laszlo at gunpoint and demands their immediate surrender. They're startled, but recover... and grin evilly. Laszlo reveals Katrina suspected Felina would be watching the house, and had them go out to dispose of the foreman's body to see if she could be drawn out! Aaahhhhh!

"IT'S A TR--

No, no, wait, that's too easy. Hmm...

"IT'S A TRAP!"

Yeah, Princess Leia did it before Admiral Ackbar!

What perilous fate awaits Felina? How will her uncle's date go? Are wedding bells and wedded bliss in his and Katrina's future? Will the waiter get tipped? For these answers and more, stay tuned for what I hope will be the fourth and final part! :D
3 x

Krillos
Resident
Flag: Sweden

Postby Krillos » Sat May 14, 2016 5:26 am

Wow. Reading through this script makes me feel like watching an actual episode that never came to be. Thank you for sharing this, Koosh.

It does raises several concerns that makes me both unhappy yet grateful at the same time that this episode never got made. I'll share 'em with ya.

I'm sad I did not see this because:

• This would mark as yet another episode where the Swat Kats fought against a supernatural enemy and this time a frickin' she-demon. As a lover of monsters, I would've loved to see it. It would've strengthened my hopes in seeing werewolves in future episode had the show not been cancelled.
• This would be yet another ballsy episode where the poor victims got done in by the most horrifying way and judging from the script, this episode got some serious balls with their killings than The Giant Bacteria-episode.
• This episode granted more screentime for Felina, perhaps even more so than in the episode The Cavern of Horrors. And being a fan of ever-awesome Felina, I cursed the very heavens for not being able to see it!
• Mook would have done another excellent job in animating that episode.

I'm grateful this wasn't made because:
• I'm not comfortable with the idea of heavy shipping between Jake/Callie and Chance/Felina in one and the same episode. Though I'm not against romance entirely as long they serve a plot well, I often seen Jake and Chance as heroes in old spaghetti western who follows the philosophy "the good guy never gets the girl." That and I'm not a fan of heroes falling for girls who are the "obvious choices" for them.
• I don't think I can stomach it to see Feral to be reduced in such pathetic state. Sure, it is to prove that no matter how strong minded Feral is, he is still a mortal who can fall to the dark manipulation of a demon.
Last edited by Krillos on Sat May 14, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat May 14, 2016 6:39 am

Krillos wrote:I'm not comfortable with the idea of heavy shipping between Jake/Callie and Chance/Felina in one and the same episode.

You and quite a few others. :lol:

I'm not sure why. Yes, you did just explain why, but nevertheless I'm surprised. I (mistakenly?) assumed many people would be tickled about the whole "Jake goes with Callie to a classical music performance while T-Bone and Felina fight monsters" portion. Instead, it's so far proving pretty consistently to be the main issue people have with the script. I, personally, enjoyed those parts. And this is coming from someone who prefers the idea of Chance/Callie, Felina/Jake most days! :lol:

But, if I may, it's worth noting that neither of the "dates" is actually a date. I'm pretty sure Callie would've taken either Chance or Jake, and picked Jake to invite simply because he said he liked classical music, and that she's only bringing anyone, period, so she'll look a little less suspicious while spying on Katrina. The way the scene plays out, she asks what they know about the Moorkroft Philharmonic; Chance responds with something like "Isn't that where they play that boring classical music?", prompting Jake to interject and say he doesn't find it boring. Only then does Callie bring up the whole "I need a date" angle. And while they're there, Jake only has eyes (ears?) for the orchestra, having meant what he said about liking the music style.

Meanwhile, T-Bone does keep referring to his, um, outing with Felina as a date but he comes off as meaning it in a very sarcastic sense. Because, well, he's T-Bone and he and serious haven't really spoken much lately. :lol:

As it is, both SWAT Kats make it plain they're they view the "dates" through the lens of their usual competitive nature; they view it as an opportunity to outperform one another. After Callie invites Jake, he rubs it in Chance's face ("Jealous?"). Even though he genuinely enjoys the orchestral performance, after returning to the garage, the main thing on his mind is that he had a fun night out while Chance had to stay home and work on the jet. But when he finds out his friend went and had an exciting adventure with Felina, his ego takes what is intended to be a humorous blow as he finds Chance basically one-upped him.

So, anyway, the way I see it, it isn't so much shipping as it is merely Chance and Jake's typically competitive nature playing out in a manner intended to run parallel to the main plot. I.e., since the story is about Feral dating and eventually wanting to marry Katrina Moorkroft, Chance and Jake's efforts to outdo each other this time is done in the manner of who can have the most fun night out with an attractive she-kat. And what shipping there is is merely carrying on in the grand tradition of "both SWAT Kats kinda have a thing for Callie" and jostle for her attention, so it isn't like Glenn Leopold is pulling any of this from nowhere. I mean, nobody seems to have a problem with the fact Callie obviously prefers Jake in The Giant Bacteria (and Chance's even more obvious jealousy), or with Razor's infatuation with Callista in Bride of the Pastmaster (where T-Bone also gets visibly jealous).

Of course, it's a little juvenile of our heroes, I'll admit, especially since Chance's gloating is strange, as though he doesn't care that he and Felina actually completely failed at what they were trying to do. It makes him seem slightly callous, like he doesn't care much about the kidnapped foreman. It also runs the risk of reducing Callie and Felina to being merely pawns in the SWAT Kats' latest attempt at outdoing one another; something avoided, thankfully, because it's the B-plot and the A-plot is all about Callie and Felina being strong and taking charge of the situation as opposed to relying on others, proving that they're worthy characters in their own right and not just bit players. But of course in the end, only the SWAT Kats themselves can save the day, but that's simply because, well, this is SWAT Kats, so in pretty much any episode besides The Ghost Pilot, this is unavoidable. :lol:
5 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Sat May 14, 2016 11:33 am

So much stuff to comment on! Ah!

Kooshmeister wrote:At Enforcer Headquarters the next day, an irked Felina has just finished telling her uncle about Dr. Sinian's theory. Feral, visibly having aged enough now that his niece can't ignore it, has added a new item to his ordinarily spartan desktop: a framed glamor photo of Katrina. Feral chides her for coming to him with such nonsense. Indicating the photo, which he can't stop fawning over like a little lovestruck boy, he asks her, "Is that the face of a succubus?" Evidently he wasn't paying attention to the "she disguises herself as a hot babe" part. Felina becomes angry. She tries to insist that the monster attack meant Katrina was having them spied on and tried to have them silenced, but Feral, also becoming angry, suggests she "take some time off." Ouch.

The glamour shot photo :lol: This guy is smitten! :lol: Would anyone else notice Feral's aging besides Felina? And ouch indeed.

But this is sliding from fun with Feral to cringing. I'm not looking forward to the aftermath of this.

Kooshmeister wrote:And then Feral drops a bombshell. A big one. Responding to Felina's plea that he at least have Katrina brought in for interrogation, he says he does into to question her. "And the question I intend to ask is a more important one," he says, producing a diamond engagement ring, to Felina's horror. Yep, Feral's going to pop the question, folks. Katrina has invited him out to Moorkroft Manor for a romantic dinner and he intends to ask Ms. Katrina Moorkroft to be Mrs. Katrina Feral. Felina simply says she has heard love is blind... but she just hopes that, for her uncle's sake, she hopes it isn't fatal, but Feral isn't paying attention anymore, having gone back to fawning over the photo.

Wow! Moving a tad fast there, aren't you Feral? Where and when did you get the ring? Did you have it laying around?

Just how much time has passed in this episode? Half a week? I wonder how Feral's brother would react to this?

Kooshmeister wrote:Cut to that night. Feral and Katrina eat a lavish fish dinner in the dining room of Moorkroft Manor. Feral is wearing a tux, and Katrina has an elegant gown. Wondering whether she's wrong about Katrina, her mind turns to wondering, with annoyance, what she's going to wear to the wedding

Heh. Poor Felina. I can just see her thinking "I hate her but I'll squeeze into an ugly dress for uncle's sake". And again, I wonder about the other Feral family reactions.

Kooshmeister wrote:She tails them to Megakat Marsh, and hides in some bushes and watches them. And then we get something I swear I never thought I'd see in a SWAT Kats episode. We've seen dead bodies in the show before. But we've never seen what happens here. Otto and Laszlo go open the trunk... and take out a shrouded form with a familiar-looking booted foot sticking out. It's the dead Skycor Towers construction foreman. Yes, the villain's henchmen are doing a gangland-style body dump in the swamp. In SWAT Kats. Realizing she was right about Katrina after all, Felina leaps out and holds Otto and Laszlo at gunpoint and demands their immediate surrender. They're startled, but recover... and grin evilly. Laszlo reveals Katrina suspected Felina would be watching the house, and had them go out to dispose of the foreman's body to see if she could be drawn out! Aaahhhhh!

Ooo...Bold, creepy and graphic! I wonder if they were trying to shift the focus of the series a bit.

And Koosh, I love you for this. Great job!

Krillos wrote:
I'm sad I did not see this because:

• This episode granted more screentime for Felina, perhaps even more so than in the episode The Cavern of Horrors. And being a fan of ever-awesome Felina, I cursed the very heavens for not being able to see it!

Yes! I like how Felina is taking charge and investigating even though there could be severe consequences for her. I hope this emphasis that is for her Uncle's welfare and not just because she dislike Katrina.

Krillos wrote:I'm grateful this wasn't made because:
• I'm not comfortable with the idea of heavy shipping between Jake/Callie and Chance/Felina in one and the same episode. Though I'm not against romance entirely as long they serve a plot well, I often seen Jake and Chance as heroes in old spaghetti western who follows the philosophy "the good guy never gets the girl." That and I'm not a fan of heroes falling for girls who are the "obvious choices" for them.

Yeah. I don't mind romance. I write it after all. And I agree with you about "obvious choices". I wouldn't want Felina and T-Bone together just because Jake and Callie got together. That would be pairing up just because, and not because there was a connection or spark. I also wouldn't, as Koosh alluded to, like the see Callie and Felina used in games of oneupmanship even though it fits with the Sk's character thus far.

The writer's would have to be careful here, because any moves could break bases and harm the fandom. No fan wants to be on the side where their preferred couple looks like they're getting shortchanged in content because the writers have a favorite or obvious choice. I've been on both sides in another fandom. It sucks. And I'm already sorta there here with Feral.

Krillos wrote: I don't think I can stomach it to see Feral to be reduced in such pathetic state. Sure, it is to prove that no matter how strong minded Feral is, he is still a mortal who can fall to the dark manipulation of a demon.

This too. I was really digging the beginning of this. It shows a side of Feral we don't see. But now I'm already dreading the outcome. I really don't want to see jabs from the SKs to Feral because Feral hasn't engaged them at all in this episode (I think?) to warrant any kind of a jab.

Any jabs would just, to me at least, seem mean spirited, because Feral is at a very low point at the end. I get that we're (the viewers) are expected to probably like something like this but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Especially if it seems the other pairings would seem to get a kickoff from this.
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat May 14, 2016 6:46 pm

AkaneKitty wrote:Would anyone else notice Feral's aging besides Felina?

It'd be funny if other characters dismissed it as the result of stress. Not only does he constantly have to deal with the SWAT Kats, but he's running one of the most important organizations in the city, and dealing with a string of gruesome deaths which nobody can provide (as far as he's concerned) satisfactory answers to. It's unsurprising he'd see Katrina as a breath of fresh air in a life that's basically wall-to-wall stress and annoyance 24/7.

AkaneKitty wrote:But this is sliding from fun with Feral to cringing. I'm not looking forward to the aftermath of this.

Yeah, I confess it isn't fun seeing him behave so stubbornly. He feels like season one Feral. Early season one Feral. And that isn't good.

AkaneKitty wrote:Wow! Moving a tad fast there, aren't you Feral? Where and when did you get the ring? Did you have it laying around?

Alas, apart from at least a single night having passed, and the fact the eclipse is taking place later the day Feral reveals his plans to Felina, the script is a little unclear about how much time has passed since Feral met Katrina.

AkaneKitty wrote:I wonder how Feral's brother would react to this?

"Who are you and what have you done with my real brother?"

AkaneKitty wrote:And Koosh, I love you for this. Great job!

You're welcome, hehe. I aim to have the last bit up soon. :D
3 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”