Succubus! (The Curse of Kataluna) Plot Summary

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Re: Succubus! (The Curse of Kataluna) Plot Summary

Postby AkaneKitty » Sat May 14, 2016 7:19 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:It'd be funny if other characters dismissed it as the result of stress. Not only does he constantly have to deal with the SWAT Kats, but he's running one of the most important organizations in the city, and dealing with a string of gruesome deaths which nobody can provide (as far as he's concerned) satisfactory answers to. It's unsurprising he'd see Katrina as a breath of fresh air in a life that's basically wall-to-wall stress and annoyance 24/7.

That's a good point. The SWAT Kats laughing at him, Callie on his tail about the case (while conveniently giving the SKs a pass about it), the press hounding him about it too plus trying the Enforcers at a normal status could cause anyone to crack, and it's all negative attention. Here comes Katrina who just wants to meet him and is interested him. She's someone who doesn't demand anything from him or belittle him, but makes his life bearable? Even if she was a demon that has got to be a relief for him. Some positive attention for once!

Kooshmeister wrote:Yeah, I confess it isn't fun seeing him behave so stubbornly. He feels like season one Feral. Early season one Feral. And that isn't good.

That could have been tempered if Feral could be seen figuring stuff out and seemingly fighting out of what Katrina has on it only for her to overpower him again.

Kooshmeister wrote:You're welcome, hehe. I aim to have the last bit up soon. :D

Awesome!
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat May 14, 2016 7:50 pm

All good things must come to an end, my friends, and so too must Succubus! So let's continue on with the fourth and final part of my plot summary, if only so everyone can know the thrilling conclusion.

What perilous fate awaits Felina? The trap sprung here sees Otto and Laszlo transform into monstrous gargoyles and attack her. Welp, that explains why the gargoyles and servants were never seen together; they were one and the same! But Felina knows martial arts (kung-fu and karate, specifically)! With a hearty "Hyaaah!", she kicks the transformed Laszlo into the water. Yep, Felina just drop-kicked a gargoyle. But it's two on one, so he's quickly overcome, and the transformed Otto kicks her in the face, knocking her out. Dang.

Are wedding bells and wedded bliss in Feral and Katrina's future? Back at Moorkroft Manor, Feral pops the question. Katrina doesn't seem surprised and says she's flattered. Feral asks if that means she accepts, but before she can answer, Laszlo, back to normal (and presumably having changed into a new set of clothes) comes in and says the eclipse has begun. Katrina tells her anxious boyfriend to hold off on the answer for now, heading for the upstairs observatory where she does all her life-drainin', insisting that he accompany her.

Glenn Leopold wrote:KATRINA
Come, we should go to the observatory and watch the eclipse. I promise you it will be a sight you'll never seen again.

She does everything but go "Mwahahahahaha!" :lol:

Feral doesn't complain. He laughs and goes with her, thinking it's some playful game, but tells her he does hope for an answer soon. In the observatory, Katrina has him sit in a chair facing the window which allows moonlight in, and stands behind him with her hands on his shoulders as the eclipse begins. Otto (also back to normal), Laszlo and a third servant come in to watch with them. Katrina begins to age rapidly once again, but because he's seated with his back to her and (I guess) entranced by the dark beauty of the eclipse, Feral doesn't notice. However, by the time the moon is full eclipsed, he's had his fill of astronomy for the evening and begins understandably becoming impatient, pressing Katrina for an answer, all without turning around to face her. When she won't answer, he notices her (aged) hands are trembling and asks if she's okay, prompting her hands to fly up and grab the sides of his head.

Her fingers grow into claws and meld with Feral's head, and she begins to suck his lifeforce out. The engagement ring drops dramatically from his hand and rolls away. Guess the wedding's off. Otto flicks a switch, causing a secret passage to open, revealing Felina, who's been tied to a chair. Katrina begins gloating evilly about how she's going to suck her uncle dry and be young again blah, blah, blah and Scooby-Dooby-Doo. She transforms ("like Maleficent") into a hideous winged demonic female beast hereafter referred to as simply "the Succubus." But I'll keep calling her Katrina. She begins becoming younger, and on top of that, it's never explicitly spelled out, but considering that she is described as "enjoying the ecstatic surge of energy" and uttering forth "gasping moans," it's plenty obvious that her reactions are intended to be somewhat sexual. Add one more thing to the list of stuff making this one of the more mature episodes.

Felina cries out "Noooo!" and struggles against her bonds, causing the chair to tip over. The SWAT Kat beeper T-Bone gave her earlier slides out of her pocket (didn't these bozos frisk her?), and she uses her shoulder to hit the button, summoning your heroes and mine, the SWAT Kats! T-Bone and Razor do their usual big entrance, crashing through the viewing window on their "Delta-Bak Paks." It's fight time, baby! Because Katrina is focused on draining Feral (as she herself keeps announcing out loud, she only has until the eclipse is over to do this), she sics her fanboy squad--I mean her evil henchmen on them. Otto, Laszlo and the third guy (who never gets a name) turn into their gargoyle forms and fight the vigilantes, who discard the "Bak Paks" and battle them hand to hand.

T-Bone defeats Laszlo and the other guy by dropping a chandelier (in an observatory? Fancy!) on their heads, and cuts Felina free. Razor knocks Otto out of the room through the hole in the wall, but gargoyles can fly, so he quickly returns. However, Razor uses Bolo Missiles to tie Otto's wings up, causing him to fall out (again). Then Katrina's pet ferret transforms into the three-headed monster, and T-Bone, Razor and Felina fight it. It uses its spiked tail to pin them against the wall, but the SWAT Kats launch their Glovatrixes off of their forearms (!!!) at it, causing it to go flying. Its tail follows after it, naturally, the spikes coming lose, freeing our heroic trio. The tri-head crashes through a wall, causing a goodly portion of the observatory roof to come down on top of it, either knocking it out or killing it (either way, it's out of this fight). Forced to abandon draining Feral, Katrina attacks them herself, then absconds with a by now very old and quite unconscious Feral.

Otto recovers (he's tenacious!). Felina yells for them to save her uncle, while she finishes Otto off. She defeats him by knocking the remaining part of the observatory ceiling onto him. Elsewhere, the SWAT Kats pursue Katrina and her captive using the Bak Paks, but she quickly outdistances them, forcing them to double back to where they left the Turbokat. Hopping in, they blast off. They quickly relocate Katrina and Feral, who is so old now as to be close to death. In another few moments, he'll doomed. Using his targeting scope, Sureshot zeroes in on Katrina's hand, and launches "giant boomerangs." They hit her hand, causing her to lose her grip on Feral. On the plus side, severing physical contact prevents her from continuing to drain him. On the negative side, now he's falling towards the ground from a long way up.

The moon begins to peek out from behind the eclipse, but only a sliver. Panicking, Katrina dives down after her plummeting victim, but T-Bone flies the Turbokat past her face, preventing her from nabbing Feral again, and the unconscious Commander continues falling. His descent is finally halted using the Airbag Missile that was employed at the museum earlier. The SWAT Kats battle the succubus in the air as the moon continues showing more and more of itself. Whenever Katrina tries to dive down towards Feral, T-Bone is there to intercept her. Finally she blasts the jet with sizzling red electricity which shorts out the generators, causing T-Bone to fly wildly out of control and hurtle towards the ground. Disaster is averted by the use of emergency backup power. But it seems like it may be too late, as Katrina goes for Feral unimpeded... only for the eclipse to finally end, the SWAT Kats' interference having delayed the demon enough that her time is up. She screams and disintegrates into dust. Back at the mansion, so do the gargoyles.

Cut to the Megakat Memorial Hospital, where a doctor is tending to the drastically aged Feral in an intensive care room. Felina and the SWAT Kats are also present. The doctor isn't sure what, if anything, he can do, but then miraculously Feral's old age reverts and he returns to his usual grouchy self, sitting up. Felina is overjoyed, but her uncle only wants to know one thing: "What are they doing here?" he demands, angrily but weakly, pointing at the SWAT Kats. The relieved Felina squeezes his hand lovingly and T-Bone and Razor swear they won't tell anyone they saved Feral (ha?) as the episode ends.

The End.

Oh, forgot the other unanswered question. Will the waiter get tipped? No, he turned into dust.

So that's Succubus!, ladies and gents! :D
6 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sun May 15, 2016 2:20 pm

A pity that the production of this episode was never finished...

Another thing I've noticed when I continued reading is that Callie is pretty much out of the equation after the attack at the museum which is a bit sad as she was quite involved in the investigation till this point. What did she do after that? Doing some paperwork in the mayor's office? :lol: (Alright, she just survived falling from a roof, but I don't think that would stop her from continuing. :lol:)

As I'm really curious how much of this script actually made it into pre-production, I watched the Jonny Quest Episode (#38 - Eclipse) for which some of this material was recycled by Glenn Leopold. I was hoping to get a at least a notion of how the episode could have been like.

As JQ has a toally different setting it's not really a surprise that it's not that much that went into it, except from the basic plot (a demon draining people's life force) with Katrina's name changed into Elise Linoir. There is also the Mansion with oberservatory and the drained victims are really depicted. Unlike Katrina, Elise can cast a spell on people in order to serve her and she needs a young woman for the ritual as she takes over the youth and appearance of the victim. The male victims are just snacks until the eclipse happens. Furthermore, she is referred to as "the demon" at some points instead of "the succubus".

Prettyshadowj26 wrote:[...] I will love to see Katrina looks like perhaps I could draw a picture of her

I've created some screenshots from that JQ episode showing Elise Linoir in all three forms (young, aged showing her claws and as demon). Maybe they can be used as a reference too (click to enlarge).
EliseLinoir.jpg
5 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sun May 15, 2016 5:30 pm

This is a reeeeally long summary and it makes me tired thinking about trying to cover every little thing I want to comment about so I'm going to do just a broad generalization. Of all the unfinished episodes that were teased about, Curse of Kataluna was the one I wanted to see the most. Now that I've read the summary, I can see why it was held back. Also, I'm glad it was held back. I feel like this story needed to be worked more before it would be ready to be an episode.

Some things I liked, such as an idea with more Feral. Also, I enjoyed the "Radical" conversation between Callie and Jake and to actually see Callie's reaction to one of the over-the-top modifications they do to her car.

But there's so many more things I disliked about this. Granted, this is also a summary, maybe the script turned out better, but the story seems super fanficy to me. Not just all the mass-pairing going on--which is also a bit uncomfortable. But Callie stalking Feral's personal life when A, it's none of her business, B, what exactly happened that made Katrina such a suspicious person in the first place? and C, Callie, it is not your job to police Feral's personal affairs or investigate disappearances. I love you, but why are you in this episode?

As far as Commander Feral, this doesn't feel like his episode. He's the one who's the victim of the villain, but I don't really feel like there's anything that focuses on him as a character that let's the audience get to know him more. He's just in the episode more because he was the focus of the villain this time. That's all. I feel like an opportunity was missed here.

And that weird conversation where Feral accuses Felina of being mad that there's a woman interested in him. What kind of conversation is that to have with your adult niece? It's weird. And then the henchmen just randomly bring a tied up Felina into the room at the end because why? So, so many things happen in this story for no reason.

I think there's a good idea in this lost episode, but probably the reason it hadn't made it to production was because the story still needed to be tweaked. However, it was fun to read something new to ruminate on the what might have been. Thanks for sharing.
4 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun May 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Mr. Goodkat wrote:As JQ has a toally different setting it's not really a surprise that it's not that much that went into it, except from the basic plot (a demon draining people's life force) with Katrina's name changed into Elise Linoir. There is also the Mansion with oberservatory and the drained victims are really depicted. Unlike Katrina, Elise can cast a spell on people in order to serve her and she needs a young woman for the ritual as she takes over the youth and appearance of the victim. The male victims are just snacks until the eclipse happens. Furthermore, she is referred to as "the demon" at some points instead of "the succubus".

I never liked Eclipse much. The main thing I disliked about it was the friction between Elise and her equivalent to Otto and Laszlo, who've been combined into one character (which shows just how condensed and economical Eclipse is compared to Succubus!). I hated that she just straight up kills him out of pique, making him feel ultimately pointless, unlike Otto and Laszlo, whose ability to turn into gargoyles make them threats to the heroes.

Randomly, it just occurred to me that Elise's relationship with her servant in Eclipse is pretty much identical to Marya's relationship with Sandor in the 1936 film Dracula's Daughter, which may have been Glenn Leopold's intention. Except there, it comes to a much different end, with Sandor killing Marya after things fall apart between them, instead of the other way around.

That film also has a lot of other similarities to Succubus!/Eclipse, particularly the fact Marya is pursuing a primary male target, with all other victims of a single gender are simply "snacks," to borrow your terminology. The main differences being Marya doesn't want to kill her target, psychiatrist Jeffrey Garth, and all her "snacks" are women.

Ty-Chou wrote:This is a reeeeally long summary and it makes me tired thinking about trying to cover every little thing I want to comment about so I'm going to do just a broad generalization.

One of the reasons I posted it in parts was to give people a chance to digest everything at what I hoped would be an even pace and post their thoughts about individual scenes as opposed to the full thing, in order to, well, avoid exactly the problem you face here.

Ty-Chou wrote:But there's so many more things I disliked about this. Granted, this is also a summary, maybe the script turned out better, but the story seems super fanficy to me.

I tend to embellish and oversell things a little so it's less of a dry summation. I just tried to make it fun. :lol:

Ty-Chou wrote:Not just all the mass-pairing going on

And we have yet another person who objects to this aspect of the script. :lol:

Ty-Chou wrote:which is also a bit uncomfortable.

Why, exactly...? This is the second time I've seen someone use "uncomfortable" or words to that effect to describe their feelings toward the "date" portion.

Ty-Chou wrote:But Callie stalking Feral's personal life when A, it's none of her business,

I'd say she's pretty shrewd and genre-savvy enough by this point to be immediately suspicious that any new character is potentially trouble, but that's a bit meta. :lol:

Ty-Chou wrote:B, what exactly happened that made Katrina such a suspicious person in the first place?

My best theory is that it's because Katrina basically showed up out of the blue a few months ago and has been throwing her weight around, dazzling Manx with huge donations and pestering him to introduce her to Feral. Manx is blinded by his greed and Feral is blinded by his love, so perhaps Callie feels it's up to her to check the new arrival out.

Ty-Chou wrote:C, Callie, it is not your job to police Feral's personal affairs or investigate disappearances.

Like that's ever stopped her before. Heh. Callie doing things deputy mayors shouldn't normally do is something she did quite frequently in other episodes. To wit: she was at the museum in The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice getting information for Manx's press release, even though that's something for a press liaison; she writes Manx's speeches in The Giant Bacteria and The Ghost Pilot, even though they have people called speech writers specifically employed specifically for exactly what their name implies; and she calls Dr. Sinian, just as she does here, for assistance about the Red Lynx in The Ghost Pilot. She may be addressed as "Deputy Mayor Briggs," but it's always been clear to me that Callie is whatever the writers need her to be in order to ensure she remains involved in the story somehow.

Ty-Chou wrote:I love you, but why are you in this episode?

She's Callie and it's a SWAT Kats episode. :lol:

Ty-Chou wrote:As far as Commander Feral, this doesn't feel like his episode. He's the one who's the victim of the villain, but I don't really feel like there's anything that focuses on him as a character that let's the audience get to know him more. He's just in the episode more because he was the focus of the villain this time. That's all. I feel like an opportunity was missed here.

It may not be "his" episode, but at least something is being done with him besides him shouting all the time. In fact, he barely ever raises his voice in the entire script. We definitely see a softer and more vulnerable side of him here.

Ty-Chou wrote:And that weird conversation where Feral accuses Felina of being mad that there's a woman interested in him. What kind of conversation is that to have with your adult niece? It's weird.

It's worth noting that in single parent families it isn't uncommon for the child - even a grown one - to be hostile towards their parent's boyfriend or girlfriend, viewing them as an intruder. Since Feral and Felina have an almost father/daughter relationship sometimes, despite being uncle and niece, it's conceivable Feral is misinterpreting Felina's objections to Katrina as being along similar lines.

Ty-Chou wrote:And then the henchmen just randomly bring a tied up Felina into the room at the end because why? So, so many things happen in this story for no reason.

Why does Mutilor turn the viewscreen off before the SWAT Kats have fully drowned in When Strikes Mutilor? How is it that nobody at the hospital noticed that the "injured" elderly couple not only weren't injured, but weren't even elderly, in Razor's Edge, when even the most cursory examination of them would reveal the truth? Why does Dr. Greenbox inexplicably do a one-eighty and become a raving screwball in Unlikely Alloys?

Succubus! was written at the same time as them. It was intended to be aired right alongside the other season two episodes, with all the same perils, pitfalls and shortcomings in the plot those had (and as noted they had them by the bushel). Did you expect it to be... better? Why? It is what it is. Despite some darker and more mature elements, it's still, at its heart, a 1994 SWAT Kats episode, and all that that entails, positive and negative.

Ty-Chou wrote:I think there's a good idea in this lost episode, but probably the reason it hadn't made it to production was because the story still needed to be tweaked. However, it was fun to read something new to ruminate on the what might have been. Thanks for sharing.

I'm relatively certain that except for the title and dialogue mentioning succubi, this is pretty much what we would've gotten, and what we were going to get, considering that the actors all recorded their dialogue (Nancy Linari voiced Katrina), meaning it was in production at the time the show got cancelled.
5 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Sun May 15, 2016 11:06 pm

So much stuff I want to comment on and I haven't even gotten to the last part of Koosh's summary...

Ty-Chou wrote:But there's so many more things I disliked about this. Granted, this is also a summary, maybe the script turned out better, but the story seems super fanficy to me. Not just all the mass-pairing going on--which is also a bit uncomfortable. But Callie stalking Feral's personal life when A, it's none of her business, B, what exactly happened that made Katrina such a suspicious person in the first place? and C, Callie, it is not your job to police Feral's personal affairs or investigate disappearances. I love you, but why are you in this episode?

This is why I asked Koosh if there was something about Katrina that put all the she-kats on their guard. I totally get Felina not liking Katrina, she knows her uncle and what would be "off" in a hook up like that. Callie is a headscratcher. Why would she be concerned about Feral's personal affairs anyway?

Unless she was worried that she'd get bumped out of Feral's priorities by Katrina, her being suspicious is kinda annoying. I don't get why'd she'd care. The city's getting what appears to be clean money and things are being built. The only thing she'd possibly have concerns about is the murders but that seems like something she'd keeping jumping on Feral's case about while the SKs would get the benefit of the doubt.

This probably could have been remedied by having her be suspicious of Katrina's money possibly being illegitimate and could bring a scandal to MKC. As it stands, it's just her being annoying nosy to a guy she hasn't been the nicest to.

Ty-Chou wrote:As far as Commander Feral, this doesn't feel like his episode. He's the one who's the victim of the villain, but I don't really feel like there's anything that focuses on him as a character that let's the audience get to know him more. He's just in the episode more because he was the focus of the villain this time. That's all. I feel like an opportunity was missed here.

Agreed. While is cool to see a different side of Feral it did seem like this episode would have placed him back as an early season 1 Feral as Koosh said. We also didn't get to learn any dynamics about the Feral family or knowing more about them, other than finally getting some familial bonds showing up between Feral and Felina.

Kooshmeister wrote:Why, exactly...? This is the second time I've seen someone use "uncomfortable" or words to that effect to describe their feelings toward the "date" portion.

Not Ty, but maybe it's the rushed, crammed nature to one episode making everyone skittish? From what I read it kinda jumps at you, plus it could be just a feeling everyone getting paired just because.
3 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sun May 15, 2016 11:45 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
Why, exactly...? This is the second time I've seen someone use "uncomfortable" or words to that effect to describe their feelings toward the "date" portion.

As I mentioned before, it feels very much like a fanfic. There's something amateurish and forced about it that just makes it feel awkward--makes ME feel awkward even as I was reading the summary. 14-year-olds write relationships like this where everything just suddenly happens at once for no reason.

Ty-Chou wrote:B, what exactly happened that made Katrina such a suspicious person in the first place?

Kooshmeister wrote:My best theory is that it's because Katrina basically showed up out of the blue a few months ago and has been throwing her weight around, dazzling Manx with huge donations and pestering him to introduce her to Feral. Manx is blinded by his greed and Feral is blinded by his love, so perhaps Callie feels it's up to her to check the new arrival out.

But you shouldn't be expected to have a theory for something like this. The story should clearly explain what exactly is the trigger for ALL of Callie's decisions through this entire episode. That's the job of the writer, that's not our job as the audience to come up with the reason.

Ty-Chou wrote:C, Callie, it is not your job to police Feral's personal affairs or investigate disappearances.

Kooshmeister wrote:Like that's ever stopped her before. Heh. Callie doing things deputy mayors shouldn't normally do is something she did quite frequently in other episodes. To wit: she was at the museum in The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice getting information for Manx's press release, even though that's something for a press liaison; she writes Manx's speeches in The Giant Bacteria and The Ghost Pilot, even though they have people called speech writers specifically employed specifically for exactly what their name implies; and she calls Dr. Sinian, just as she does here, for assistance about the Red Lynx in The Ghost Pilot. She may be addressed as "Deputy Mayor Briggs," but it's always been clear to me that Callie is whatever the writers need her to be in order to ensure she remains involved in the story somehow.

But again, then it just feels forced and amateurish if Callie has both superficial reasons for being involved and massively oversteps the bounds of her job. Writing a speech for the mayor isn't as unrealistic as Callie taking it upon herself to investigate a rash of murders/disappearances. If she suspects something, it's her responsibility to give that information to the enforcers/Felina and let them do their jobs so they can save lives.

Ty-Chou wrote:I love you, but why are you in this episode?

Kooshmeister wrote:She's Callie and it's a SWAT Kats episode. :lol:

There are other episodes where Callie is not in them.

Kooshmeister wrote:It may not be "his" episode, but at least something is being done with him besides him shouting all the time. In fact, he barely ever raises his voice in the entire script. We definitely see a softer and more vulnerable side of him here.

And it's unfortunate. It really should have been his episode. As I said, there was a missed opportunity here that could have been taken advantage of and it wasn't.

Kooshmeister wrote:Why does Mutilor turn the viewscreen off before the SWAT Kats have fully drowned in When Strikes Mutilor? How is it that nobody at the hospital noticed that the "injured" elderly couple not only weren't injured, but weren't even elderly, in Razor's Edge, when even the most cursory examination of them would reveal the truth? Why does Dr. Greenbox inexplicably do a one-eighty and become a raving screwball in Unlikely Alloys?

Succubus! was written at the same time as them. It was intended to be aired right alongside the other season two episodes, with all the same perils, pitfalls and shortcomings in the plot those had (and as noted they had them by the bushel). Did you expect it to be... better? Why? It is what it is. Despite some darker and more mature elements, it's still, at its heart, a 1994 SWAT Kats episode, and all that that entails, positive and negative.

Yes, I expect it to be better. Why am I not allowed to expect it to be better? Why can't I expect the writers to learn from past mistakes? Why is lazy writing in one episode automatic permission to be lazy in another? These people are professionals. They are paid to do this. Can't I hold them to a higher standard? Can't I expect them to make the script as flawless as possible before sending it out to have thousands of dollars spent on it for production? And if it falls short, am I not allowed to be disappointed?

Kooshmeister wrote:I'm relatively certain that except for the title and dialogue mentioning succubi, this is pretty much what we would've gotten, and what we were going to get, considering that the actors all recorded their dialogue (Nancy Linari voiced Katrina), meaning it was in production at the time the show got cancelled.

Perhaps it is fortunate that it was never made then. Or, as I mentioned before, perhaps the summary just didn't do the story justice. I am well aware that a summary can never accurately portray the script in full. And a script is no match to the full impact of a finished episode. Maybe if the episode was finished it wouldn't be as awkwardly bad as I'm picturing it in my head. But this summary is all I have to go on, so I gotta go with what I have to work with. :)
2 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Mon May 16, 2016 12:30 am

Kooshmeister wrote:Why does Mutilor turn the viewscreen off before the SWAT Kats have fully drowned in When Strikes Mutilor? How is it that nobody at the hospital noticed that the "injured" elderly couple not only weren't injured, but weren't even elderly, in Razor's Edge, when even the most cursory examination of them would reveal the truth? Why does Dr. Greenbox inexplicably do a one-eighty and become a raving screwball in Unlikely Alloys?

That's a pretty good point-by-point breakdown, and a reminder that one should probably grade these sorts of things on a curve. That's what I kept in the back of my mind as I was reading your summary, as any of the issues I had with this story are present rather frequently throughout the series and aren't unique to Succubus!

Ty-Chou wrote:Yes, I expect it to be better. Why am I not allowed to expect it to be better? Why can't I expect the writers to learn from past mistakes? Why is lazy writing in one episode automatic permission to be lazy in another? These people are professionals. They are paid to do this. Can't I hold them to a higher standard? Can't I expect them to make the script as flawless as possible before sending it out to have thousands of dollars spent on it for production? And if it falls short, am I not allowed to be disappointed?
I also share your frustrations. But, I ultimately have to accept that this show isn't exactly prestige-caliber to begin with, for a lot of the reasons that have been pointed out. I also give the writers a lot of leeway because they were fighting a lot of uphill battles to deliver something that wasn't completely terrible in an environment where they're forced to re-write things that were good and turn them mediocre to appease executives with little-to-no-interest in taking risks or breaking a status quo.

There's nothing wrong with expecting better, but I think a lot of us can temper those expectations by taking a moment to appreciate how much worse it could have been (one need only look at some of the competing shows, some of which were excellent, but many of them were forgettable and not good at all).
4 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Mon May 16, 2016 1:58 am

That poor, unnamed waiter. He didn't get his tip...
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon May 16, 2016 2:02 am

Ty-Chou wrote:But again, then it just feels forced and amateurish if Callie has both superficial reasons for being involved and massively oversteps the bounds of her job. Writing a speech for the mayor isn't as unrealistic as Callie taking it upon herself to investigate a rash of murders/disappearances. If she suspects something, it's her responsibility to give that information to the enforcers/Felina and let them do their jobs so they can save lives.

Callie's always sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong. She wouldn't be able to alert the SWAT Kats to much half the time if she didn't, heh.

She's always taken a very hands-on approach to the day to day running of the city, and cares about it a lot, so this rash of unsolved, gruesome murders would be exceptionally troubling to her. The Enforcers aren't making much headway, clearly, and like any reasonable person, she wants Megakat City's streets made safe for burly construction workers to walk down at night, so what is she, as Deputy Mayor, to do?

I guess she could call the SWAT Kats, but why should she? The SWAT Kats aren't a hammer and not every problem is a nail (thank you, Abraham Maslow). She is on a first-name basis with the curator of the museum, a knowledgeable scientist who has proven helpful to her in the past, so she rings up Dr. Sinian. Then she and Felina go to the museum, and Felina takes what she and Callie learn to her uncle. After the requisite action sequence with a three-headed monster, of course! :lol:

And, heh, after which Callie is no longer involved with the story... which, I'm aware, means she effectively didn't need to be involved at all to begin with, but I never claimed the story was perfect. :lol:

Ty-Chou wrote:There are other episodes where Callie is not in them.

True, but she first appears here alongside Mayor Manx when he plays matchmaker between Feral and Katrina. So it makes sense for her to be present because she and Manx go lots of places together. She also explains to Felina (and the audience) who Katrina is, getting some much-needed exposition out of the way very quickly. I suppose Callie should've exited the story at this point, but I suspect Glenn Leopold found the idea of the contrasting "dates" to be too good to pass up. :lol:

Ty-Chou wrote:And it's unfortunate. It really should have been his episode.

If you want to see it that way, that's fine. I choose to see it as Felina's episode. And that's at least one reason I'm annoyed it never got finished. Succubus! isn't perfect, but it basically did for Felina what am trying (only somewhat successfully) to do with my script, Bad Vibrations; give her what is largely her own adventure. Yeah, the SWAT Kats come in and steal her thunder at the end after she's lured into a stupid trap, but I just accept that that's how the show was and appreciate what comes before it. She's given more to do here than in almost any previous episode she's been in.

Ty-Chou wrote:Yes, I expect it to be better. Why am I not allowed to expect it to be better? Why can't I expect the writers to learn from past mistakes? Why is lazy writing in one episode automatic permission to be lazy in another? These people are professionals. They are paid to do this. Can't I hold them to a higher standard? Can't I expect them to make the script as flawless as possible before sending it out to have thousands of dollars spent on it for production? And if it falls short, am I not allowed to be disappointed?

And you can do all that, I guess. I'm just not sure why. If it were a new episode, sure, I can see having high expectations and being disappointed when it turned out to be the way that it is. But it's from 1994 and it reads like it. To me, this is a good thing, because it has that cheesy 1994 feel to it. What you call "it reads like a fanfic," I call "it reads like a SWAT Kats episode, with all that that entails." Maybe I just have really low standards. :lol:

Ty-Chou wrote:Perhaps it is fortunate that it was never made then.

This is really where you lose me. You can expect the writers to do more. Even accepting SWAT Kats is a silly action show, many episodes of this show are absolutely riddled with aggravating, sometimes even infuriating, mistakes and shortcomings and I wish they were different, but one thing I don't wish is that they'd never been made. Changed? Yes. A lot. But never made? That's a little extreme.

At the end of the day, as you yourself have pointed out, you're basing your opinions on my summary, which is no substitute for the actual script. Therefore I do plan to type up the entire script at some point so everyone can read it. Or, failing that, send a copy of the physical script to Matt and see what he can do with it. I doubt anyone's opinions will change much, but, I think the full script is something everyone deserves to read. Like it or hate it, it's something I feel you've all earned, if only just for sitting through my clunky attempt to summarize it. :lol:
3 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”