SWAT Kats Variety Ad

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

SWAT Kats Variety Ad

Postby MoDaD » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:37 pm

Commonly known for several decades now as the "poster," this has been sitting in a tube on my office desk (along with other unopened stuff) for months now. For many of us it's been a bit of a mystery as to what this was, so hopefully we have some new details:

poster-002.jpg

poster-003.jpg

poster-004.jpg

This was from the Thursday, September 22, 1994 edition of Daily Variety, a trade publication magazine. It's one side of a spread, with an ad for Fox Kids Club adjacent, and articles on the reverse side.

Now, before anyone asks, this is already destined for Kristen Sharpe's personal collection of SWAT Kats stuff, as she's the closest equivalent we have to a museum curator :lol: And, it'll just get lost and inadvertently destroyed if it stays in my possession.
7 x

NeeKnight
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Great Britain

Re: SWAT Kats Variety Ad

Postby NeeKnight » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:20 pm

:lol: Know the feeling, MoDaD. Manys the time I've been handed something wonderful and fantastic and the first thought is "Please get it away from me before I damage it" XD
Least now with a closer eye on it, maybe we can find out the secrets coded into the piece like the SWAT Kat Code where it might lead us to the ultimate secret of the code or the location of the lost episodes! <_< What? It could happen. If The Last Supper had bonus extra features way back when it was paint, we should be able to find one thing of note in something made in 1994. ^^
3 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:28 pm

Hmm. The style is somewhat reminiscent of the cover art on the SNES game. Wonder if that's coincidental?
Attachments
212250-swat-kats-the-radical-squadron-snes-front-cover.jpg
2 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:34 am

Awesome find! Is there SWAT Kats specific information in those articles? I tried reading it, but I can barely see what it is written (as far as I saw, the info is about cartoons in general). Maybe you could make a summary of it, or is that asking too much? :lol:

Mikazo wrote:Hmm. The style is somewhat reminiscent of the cover art on the SNES game. Wonder if that's coincidental?

Yep, the art style is the same, but I don't think it is a coincidence. That is probably the art style used for almost all the advertisement and OMG how awesome it looks! ᶘ *ᴥ*ᶅ
2 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:18 am

I'm also pretty sure that this isn't a coincidence.

Just take a look at the cover art of the DVD box,

the merchandise shown at the end of the Kickstarter art book (click here for a larger display of the image)

and the banner showing some of the SK characters

Also the Hanna-Barbera-Logos at the start (T-Bone) and the end (Razor) of each episode are drawn in a similar fashion.

I think this was the official style for all kinds of printed media concerning SK back then.
If there would have been an official comic I wonder if it would have also looked like this.
1 x

Jacob1290
Raccoon with a pen

Postby Jacob1290 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 am

Mr. Goodkat wrote:I'm also pretty sure that this isn't a coincidence.

Just take a look at the cover art of the DVD box,

the merchandise shown at the end of the Kickstarter art book (click here for a larger display of the image)

and the banner showing some of the SK characters

Also the Hanna-Barbera-Logos at the start (T-Bone) and the end (Razor) of each episode are drawn in a similar fashion.

I think this was the official style for all kinds of printed media concerning SK back then.
If there would have been an official comic I wonder if it would have also looked like this.

Unless the comic were to come first. I don't think so. if it came after the show it would look like the show.
There was a comic series that tied into The New Batman Adventures. and it actually lasted longer than the actual show.
Batman_Gotham_Adventures_Vol_1_1.jpg

Batman_Gotham_Adventures_Vol_1_60.jpg

it lasted a little past 2001 long past the actual series and had more Issues/epsiodes than the actual series
but you can see the art style is closer to the show as opposed to it looking more like the comics.
1 x
If there's a will, There's a way. #LoveWins
I got myself a medal of honor just by sitting in the dark drawing
Website HERE >> http://swatkats.net/ <<
ImageImage

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Cait wrote:Is there SWAT Kats specific information in those articles? I tried reading it, but I can barely see what it is written (as far as I saw, the info is about cartoons in general). Maybe you could make a summary of it, or is that asking too much? :lol:

I might run it through an OCR to extract the text from the image tomorrow (unless someone beats me to it). But, here's a larger resolution version that's readable in the meantime:

variety-larger.jpg

I don't think there's anything SWAT Kats related.
1 x

Katney
Resident

Postby Katney » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:31 pm

The ad basically shares the same style and pose for the official poster, which I still have. :3 I just wish I had bought extra and took better care of this one...

1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Katney wrote:Image

That's the elusive poster that Christian Tremblay said he was looking for - apparently it's the one piece of merchandise they never got a hold of :lol:
0 x

Katney
Resident

Postby Katney » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:29 pm

MoDaD wrote:That's the elusive poster that Christian Tremblay said he was looking for - apparently it's the one piece of merchandise they never got a hold of :lol:

Yeah, I remember he was offering a T-Bone cel in trade for one years back, but I didn't wanna part with it. Still don't. :twisted: Nyah-nyah ^^ ::taunting with love ^^::
1 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”