Seriously, why no footwear, SWAT Kats?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Agracite
Just Moved In
Flag: United States of America

Re: Seriously, why no footwear, SWAT Kats?

Postby Agracite » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks for the info MoDaD and Casandro, I want to try making gifs of my own for editing as I've been using ones mostly from the SWAT Kats Encyclopedia.
0 x
"My momma musta put agracite in my cereal when I was a kitten."

https://agraciteinmycereal.tumblr.com/

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Getting back on topic, have any of the members who know the Tremblays asked them about this yet?
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:12 am

marklungo wrote:Getting back on topic, have any of the members who know the Tremblays asked them about this yet?

I don't remember any question like that in previous interviews so, I think not at the moment. But indeed, it is a good and funny question for another event :3
1 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:05 am

From a developmental point of view, I feel that (and this is just my theory) Razor and T-Bone were designed first, then the show became more developed, then the look of the supporting cast became more developed and their designs were all finalized as well as the style of the rest of the show. But when that was done, they didn't go back and update T-Bone and Razor's designs to fit with everything else. They just let them stay as they were originally drawn, bare feet and all. (Honestly, I like the look of their claws better than boots.)

Head canon-wise, if I were to ever address it in a fanfic is that they originally tried footwear, but they have been in so many different settings with varying terrain, they found they can move faster and get better traction with relying on their paw pads and their claws. I would have put them in a scene where they have to trudge through water somewhere and their boots just get soaked and ruined. So they ditch them and find they like running claws out much better.

Though possibly some of those episodes where they're running around near lava, they might have wished they had footwear.
Last edited by Ty-Chou on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:40 am

Mmm I think on an alien kat planet they'd probably still have the paw pads but with the style of fashion invented shoes, Maybe started with heels but really no need for them.
Personally I would be running around barefoot too if I could. Feet have/use more muscle then what people think, from my tae kwon do experience, needing to pivot support and balance on one foot or pushing off, I feel that shoes take away a bit in someway...its hard to describe. But I can walk miles, or hike with flipflops as long as its thick to absorb impact. my mom gets so mad cuz theres no support lol.

But forget about the shoes, why No pants Dr Viper and scardy kat? Ok so he wakes up in a morgue and I can understand if he was about to be prepped for autopsy and all he can get is a lab coat but go to the tailor and get some pants made. and I know Scardy kat is a cartoon in a cartoon but it would be like if Shaggy was running around nude in scooby do and he was just like a ken doll
1 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:58 am

Jiesi wrote:
But forget about the shoes, why No pants Dr Viper and scardy kat? Ok so he wakes up in a morgue and I can understand if he was about to be prepped for autopsy and all he can get is a lab coat but go to the tailor and get some pants made.

Because he's a snake now and snakes have internal naughty bits so he can do the No Pants Dance all he wants. Though it would be funny if we got a scene where characters see Dr. Viper for the first time and and they're like "AH!" *hurry to shield eyes* *Realizes there's nothing to see* "Oh, okay then, I guess." *keeps glancing back anyway*

Dr. Viper: "Do you mind?"
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:26 pm

I don't know, I'm not a guy but if I was and had a reptilian transformation, I think I'd still want pants. Especially in front of children and old people. They have NO Filter! And its so hard not to laugh at something a kid randomly comes out with. The teacher I work with died laughing, thank god the book she was reading was jumbo so she could hide behind it lol. She was reading about mommy and baby animals, and when she got to the cow he just had to use a different, more childish term instead of utter. I love the randomness lol
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Once again, the fans are putting more thought into this show than the creators did. RazLaugh

Ty-Chou wrote:From a developmental point of view, I feel that (and this is just my theory) Razor and T-Bone were designed first, then the show became more developed, then the look of the supporting cast became more developed and their designs were all finalized as well as the style of the rest of the show. But when that was done, they didn't go back and update T-Bone and Razor's designs to fit with everything else. They just let them stay as they were originally drawn, bare feet and all. (Honestly, I like the look of their claws better than boots.)

A plausible theory, borne out by a picture in the art book that shows an early version of Mayor Manx wearing spats but no shoes.

Ty-Chou wrote:Head canon-wise, if I were to ever address it in a fanfic is that they originally tried footwear, but they have been in so many different settings with varying terrain, they found they can move faster and get better traction with relying on their paw pads and their claws. I would have put them in a scene where they have to trudge through water somewhere and their boots just get soaked and ruined. So they ditch them and find they like running claws out much better.

Sounds good to me.

Ty-Chou wrote:Though possibly some of those episodes where they're running around near lava, they might have wished they had footwear.

Actually, a lot of stories (incorrectly) assume that lava can't hurt you unless it actually touches you. This misconception is so widespread that TV Tropes has an extensive page about it, Convection Schmonvection, which has dozens of examples. In fact, there were so many examples for anime and manga, video games and western animation that they all got their own pages! And yes, the western animation page includes SWAT Kats.
Last edited by marklungo on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:12 pm

marklungo wrote:Once again, the fans are putting more thought into this show than the creators did. RazLaugh

Yeah but its so hard not to think about things. A Hypothetical planet of kats I'd love to be on the next space ship to that one....maybe....If I wouldn't get myself into to much truble SO FLUFFY! What petting is unusual behavior? Uh My planets its a custom.... maybe I should just get another pet
1 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”