Megakat City is Atlanta, GA

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Tarnish
Just Moved In
Flag: Hungary

Re: Megakat City is Atlanta, GA

Postby Tarnish » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 am

I think Megakat City is a "fictional representation of" whatever they wanted to include in the given episode.

I'm not American, but I have a feeling there are no Inca pyramids near to Atlanta (as there was in 'The Deadly Pyramid').

When you think about it, the 'dark ages' is a period they talk about in connection to Europe/Western Europe, while (as far as I know), America wasn't even discovered by europeans until the end of the 15th century...so if we say the SWAT Kats is set in the late 20th century, how could have the Pastmaster been locked up for 800 years in the dark ages, when there wasn't even europeans in America during the dark ages?

(I might be very wrong about this as history was never my strong point, so feel free to correct me if I said something stupid.)

Also, Alkatraz (an obvious play on Alcatraz) is seemingly pretty close to Megakat City (at least it's implied since after the escape of Mac and Molly, their bodies washed up at Professor Hackle's lab, which is shown to be not far outside of the city), while the real life Alcatraz is located in San Francisco, on the other side of the continent, very far from New York (of which Megakat city is visually based on).

So it seems to me the writers weren't bothered to stay true to any real life city, and why should they? It's fiction. They took inspiration from a lot of different things that they thought would fit for the story. Saying "Megakat Airport is the busiest airport in the world" probably just sounded cool and let the viewer know that Megakat City is not just some small, irrelevant city.
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm

You mean Georgia doesn't have a rich history of giant cyclopes? TboneLaughCait
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:You mean Georgia doesn't have a rich history of giant cyclopes? TboneLaughCait

Not unless you count the one from O Brother, Where Art Thou? :D Though, I don't recall if Georgia is specifically cited as the locale...
2 x

GeminiGenie
Just Moved In

Postby GeminiGenie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:47 pm

As a Georgia native I think it would be pretty neat if Megakat City was based off Atlanta, though it's blatantly obvious it's not based off any particular geographical region. Imagine Jake and Chance with a southern drawl? Eating at Waffle House late at night after one too many cans of milk. XD I love it! I gotta draw it now! TboneLaughCait
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Only one guy had a Southern accent I can recall. TboneLaughCait

1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:Only one guy had a Southern accent I can recall. TboneLaughCait

I agree with you
0 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”