Does Feral know about how Callie's SWAT Kat communicator?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Does Feral know about how Callie's SWAT Kat communicator?

Postby AkaneKitty » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Recent discussion about Turmoil in the Favorite Female Character thread got my writing juices flowing, so I started plotting out a fic where it would be Feral, instead of T-Bone, who hooks up with Turmoil. A trigger that really pushes Feral over the edge is when he gets (via Turmoil manipulations) Callie's communicator and finds out there was a link between them. Needless to say, Feral is not happy.

But when it comes to the show, did Feral ever find out about the communicator? I know Manx saw it (and used it) because it snatched it out of Callie's hand in an episode. But did anyone else find out about it?

Regarding Ferals feelings about it I think he'd feel betrayed. It's one thing to feel like you're on a even playing ground and just haven't been clicking as it regards to the capture of MKC's rouge gallery, but it's quite another to find out your rivals are getting a leg up and this advantage is never taken into consideration when you get chewed out for failing.

Sure Callie's link to the SKs might give them a small advantage in the scheme of things, but it is an advantage the Enforcers, especially Feral, doesn't have.
2 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Re: Does Feral know about how Callie's SWAT Kat communicator?

Postby EricoBard » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:45 am

To the best of my knowledge, Calico Briggs is never around Commander Feral when she whips out that lovely little triangular communicator. The times she does use it, she is either by herself to begin with, reaches into her purse, or steps out of the room before punching it in. She's used it while Mayor Manx was a room away (When Strikes Mutilor), but never around Feral.

I think this is for two reasons, on her part: To protect them, and also to protect her. Plausible deniability is most definitely something that she, as someone in government, would rely on. So long as nobody knows she's got the SWAT Kats on speed dial, that's one less bargaining chip in hostage negotiations and the like. Plus, folks would stare at it and automatically assume that she knew who they were. Again. Plausible deniability. "No, I don't know how they always show up in the nick of time. I'm glad they do, though."

As for Feral, throughout the show he can be rather dismissive of Miss Briggs. A large part of this is most definitely her unabashed fangirling over the SWAT Kats, who he considers a public menace no better than the crooks that they always stop and truss up for the hoosegow. I think another part of this might be an element of sexism that's underneath a few layers of his brusque attitude. When Deputy Mayor Briggs tells him to do something, it's usually an order he ignores or scoffs at. He may have no great love for Manx, but as a law officer that works under an elected civil government, he at least gives a good "Yes sir" when Manx gets his dander up. And he's not above risking his own neck for the Mayor's.

We see what we want to see, and I believe Feral builds it up in his mind, at least in the show, that Deputy Mayor Briggs is that irritating sort of civil servant that sees him and his organization as ineffectual thugs, and openly praises criminal vigilantes. He's so locked in his mindset that Feral dismisses ideas and possibilities that don't mesh with it. I am not surprised in the least that he never bothered to investigate possible ties between Callie and the SWAT Kats, because it fits his M.O.

Think of it like this: As one of the few individuals who's interacted with Jake Clawson and Chance Furlong during their Enforcer days, and has later had multiple dealings with the SWAT Kats, how is it that he's never put two and two together? It's the same attitudes, mostly the same voices, and they even fly a two-seater jet doing the same things they did that made them such hotshots on the force. The Enforcers may be part police force and part state militia, but Feral is more of a soldier, and less of a detective.

They literally fly right under his nose with him being none the wiser. No, Feral doesn't know about Callie's communicator. After all, sometimes she never even has to use it. They're pretty good at finding trouble on their own most of the time.
1 x

Tarnish
Just Moved In
Flag: Hungary

Postby Tarnish » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:18 am

AkaneKitty wrote:But when it comes to the show, did Feral ever find out about the communicator? I know Manx saw it (and used it) because it snatched it out of Callie's hand in an episode. But did anyone else find out about it?

I believe the episode you are referring to is Mutation City. I'm going by memory here, but in the scene where Manx takes a communicator from Callie, I think it's clearly visible to be a different communicator, one that Feral sometimes uses (like in Volcanus Erupts), probably an Enforcer equipment.
2 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:40 am

Yup. Not the triangular shaped SWAT Kats communicator Callie keeps around. My guess is that that's an Enforcers radio; the SWAT Kats have no difficulty listening in, and broadcasting over, Enforcer radio frequencies. They do it routinely throughout the show, either to poke fun at Feral or to get a better idea of what's happening.

Humorously enough, Callie DOES have her triangular communicator on her in Mutation City; she uses it right before being rescued by Felina to call the SWAT Kats and let them know what's going on, but her purse is nowhere in sight. Apparently her pink sweats have big pockets, or she got very good at hiding that thing. She always did keep the SWAT Kats close to her heart...
4 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:27 am

EricoBard wrote:Apparently her pink sweats have big pockets, or she got very good at hiding that thing. She always did keep the SWAT Kats close to her heart...

That's the best pocket/hiding spot... RazSilly
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:19 pm

EricoBard wrote:Not the triangular shaped SWAT Kats communicator Callie keeps around. My guess is that that's an Enforcers radio; the SWAT Kats have no difficulty listening in, and broadcasting over, Enforcer radio frequencies.

It's definitely an Enforcer communicator:

2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:51 pm

As a last aside, I expect you to send us the link when you finish and upload this. Yaaaay stories.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Anyway, if Feral did know, I doubt he'd sit on it. He'd definitely confront her about it. As it is, he's never indicated he knows about the communicator, or even if Callie is capable of contacting the SWAT Kats at all.
2 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:34 pm

EricoBard wrote:As a last aside, I expect you to send us the link when you finish and upload this. Yaaaay stories.

LOL I do plan to write how they initially meet, and various reactions to it since I'm taking away Turmoils flagship. She and Feral connect in a different way.

Kooshmeister wrote:Anyway, if Feral did know, I doubt he'd sit on it. He'd definitely confront her about it. As it is, he's never indicated he knows about the communicator, or even if Callie is capable of contacting the SWAT Kats at all.

I think Feral would be livid about it, especially if he was getting digs about response times.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:25 pm

AkaneKitty wrote:I think Feral would be livid about it, especially if he was getting digs about response times.

One of my least favorite criticisms about the Enforcers, since it ignores that the SWAT Kats have a distinct advantage over them in Callie often alerting them before the authorities. Which I don't hold against her. I just wish the Enforcers' tardiness - compared to the SWAT Kats, anyway - wasn't held against them the way it is. They get there when they can.

But I don't want this to turn into another "poor Enforcers" thread. TboneLaughCait
2 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”