Original Episode Production Order

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Original Episode Production Order

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:57 am

As we all know, The Giant Bacteria was the episode made first, but aired second; but apparently most of the episodes aired out of production order. Here, based on their production codes (the ones I've been able to figure out), are the episodes in the "real" order as opposed to airdate order.

9301 - The Giant Bacteria
9302 - The Metallikats
9303 - The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice
9304 - Destructive Nature
9305 - The Wrath of Dark Kat
9306 - Bride of the Pastmaster
9309 - Chaos in Crystal
9310 - The Ci-Kat-A
9311 - Enter the Madkat
9312 - Metal Urgency - Uncertain; Lance Falk refers to it as "Show 11" in his unused Blowout! script, but identifies it as the twelfth episode when referencing it in his Cold War premise, wherein he also identifies Enter the Madkat as the eleventh episode - until I can confirm via model sheets or something else, I'm listing them this way and considering "Show 11" a mistake.
9313 - Katastrophe - I admittedly have no real confirmation of this, but its production number is based on the fact the original version, Blowout!, was listed as 9313 in Falk's script.

This means only Destructive Nature, Bride of the Pastmaster and Katastrophe are in the same place in both production order and airdate. The Wrath of Dark Kat's position as the fifth episode made is strange considering it means they waited until what was (for them) episode five to bother delving into the SWAT Kats' backstory and introduce their arch-enemy. I only have Night of the Dark Kat and The Ghost Pilot's production numbers left to determine; I'm unsure if Night of the Dark Kat is episode seven (making it the fourth episode to air in the same order it was produced), with The Ghost Pilot being episode eight, or if it's the other way around.

Onto season two; less production materials exist for this season on an individual episode-by-episode basis, but here's what I've been able to determine:

9401 - A Bright and Shiny Future - Unconfirmed; I only know I heard somewhere it was actually the first episode of season two made, due to the fact Felina gets a better introduction than she does in Mutation City.
9402 - Mutation City
9405 - The Deadly Pyramid
9409 - Succubus! - Interesting that its production number, from the script, places it at the ninth season two episode, even though it was never finished.

Anyone else able to figure out the others? Glenn Leopold mentions When Strikes Mutilor in the Succubus! script (when introducing the Thunder Truck), but only calls it "the '94 episode 'Mutilor,'" and doesn't identify it by its production number the way Falk often does in his scripts and summaries.
Last edited by Kooshmeister on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Re: Original Episode Production Order

Postby Jiesi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 pm

It would be interesting if the calendar in there shop goes along with the order
1 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:02 am

Jiesi wrote:It would be interesting if the calendar in there shop goes along with the order

"It's always July" And since there were time they had to repair (or construct a new) Turbokat, it's imposible both seasons happened in just a month.
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:42 am

Metal Urgency occurring between Enter the Madkat and Katastrophe is kind of preferable, considering that it means they have the second (?) Turbokat a little while longer before Dark Kat shoots it down. I doubt, though, that the episodes were really written with any real chronological order in mind, considering Succubus! was 9409, and yet we hear not a whisper about the "SWAT Kat beeper" T-Bone gave her in the following episodes (that we know of; come on, someone get the scripts for Doctors of Doom and Turmoil II!).
2 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:18 am

Cait wrote:
Jiesi wrote:It would be interesting if the calendar in there shop goes along with the order

"It's always July" And since there were time they had to repair (or construct a new) Turbokat, it's imposible both seasons happened in just a month.

Maybe Jake and Chance don't bother to change the calendar? The show's production crew certainly didn't. TboneLaughCait
2 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:31 am

At this time I think it would be prudent if we could try and acquire more behind-the-scenes stuff, particularly scripts. Perhaps someone can ask Lance Falk if he still has the scripts for the episodes he's got, and whether the Tremblays possess any scripts besides Succubus! which they could provide. I am convinced these would be a wealth of information for the fandom, the Encyclopedia in particular; after all, much has been learned from what little behind-the-scenes material has been made available. As it is, I'd like to have at least one script for an episode that was actually finished, as opposed to one for an episode that was never finished, and one for an episode that was nixed in favor of another.

Incidentally, as I've said elsewhere, although Katastrophe was in many ways an improvement, Blowout! was very ambitious; has Falk ever discussed why Hanna-Barbera rejected his script? And although some of his ideas did get used in the final product, even if reshuffled somewhat, it seems like Glenn Leopold axed pretty much everything in it that would've really made it stand out from the herd, so to speak (things like the amusement park hideout and the "Fear Train"). Did Leopold ditch these concepts himself, or was he told to by Davis Doi, Robert Alvarez and/or Buzz Potamkin? The former would indicate Leopold just didn't care for them personally; the former would suggest they'd been the reason Falk's script was rejected.

It is interesting, though, that he got as far as he did with it before it got turned down; unless he just didn't say what was going to be in it, which is unlikely, then when he pitched the idea, Doi, Potamkin and the rest had to okayed really off-the-wall stuff like the Fear Train. It's possible that they liked the idea(s) when Falk pitched them, but found their execution in the completed script underwhelming.

Also, was Blowout! rejected in favor of Katastrophe, or did Leopold's script replace it (i.e. were they written around the same time or not)? I think Katastrophe replaced Blowout!, since Blowout!'s script seems intended to have been turned in an episode - after all, it has a production code and everything, something it'd lack if it'd merely been a premise or treatment like Blackout and Cold War.
4 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:24 am

marklungo wrote:
Cait wrote:

Maybe Jake and Chance don't bother to change the calendar? The show's production crew certainly didn't. TboneLaughCait

Yeah thats true, I think I just took down May 2015 calendar a few months ago.

I find it really hard to believe that they only have one jet. That would be so terrible is Callie called and they were having problems starting the jet and needed a part. I got stuck in an air port once waiting over 4 hrs the jet just needed a part. Callie would end up having to count on the enforcers then. I know Razor asks for a jet. Maybe he just wants a shiny new toy. If I could get away with asking for one instead of building it I would lol.

As for the calendar, It would be crazy if Megakatcity was under attack like that on a daily basis, but I do for some reason find it funny that they took the time to X off the days. Love the attention to detail. Also did anyone ever notice that their couch has cat ears? I just noticed it when they were having that mongo pepper eating contest
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:19 am

Omg it's not always Juily lol. just happened to watch Unplugged and the calendar is blank. I wonder what happened.
Attachments
Not july.png
3 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Jiesi wrote:Omg it's not always Juily lol. just happened to watch Unplugged and the calendar is blank. I wonder what happened.

Would say that's another "production error", a detail that passed unnoticed like Pastmaster's tail in some shots of The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice, Callie's tail color or whole Jake's abdomen in a shot in Unlikely Alloys. The whole theme about the calendar has been already discussed a few times and apparently it always says "july" and/or has that sexy kat image on it TboneLaughCait
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Jiesi wrote:I find it really hard to believe that they only have one jet.

If they have multiple Turbokats, T-Bone wouldn't be so broken up about losing one in Katastrophe, or frequently refuse to bail out; they also wouldn't need Manx to pay (twice!) for either substantial repairs or complete replacements.
2 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”