POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.

Which episode do you think was the weakest?

The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice
No votes
The Giant Bacteria
No votes
The Wrath of Dark Kat
4%
Destructive Nature
No votes
The Metallikats
No votes
Bride of the Pastmaster
No votes
Night of the Dark Kat
No votes
Chaos in Crystal
No votes
The Ghost Pilot
No votes
Metal Urgency
No votes
The Ci-Kat-A
No votes
Enter the Madkat
No votes
Katastrophe
No votes
Mutation City
No votes
A Bright and Shiny Future
No votes
When Strikes Mutilor
No votes
Razor's Edge
22%
Cry Turmoil
No votes
SWAT Kats Unplugged
No votes
The Deadly Pyramid
No votes
Caverns of Horror
No votes
Volcanus Erupts!
26%
The Origin of Dr. Viper
4%
The Dark Side of the SWAT Kats
No votes
Unlikely Alloys
No votes
The SWAT Kats: A Special Report
44%

Total votes: 27

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:05 am

I chose Kat's Eye News report & Razor's Edge

1. Kat's Eye News report they only show the Swat Kats Amazing Actions they could've at least interview them instead

2. Razor's Edge this episode make me wanna cry I felt bad for Jake(Razor) but this is part of Dark Kat's plan
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:05 am

Prettyshadowj26 wrote:2. Razor's Edge this episode make me wanna cry I felt bad for Jake(Razor) but this is part of Dark Kat's plan

Then the episode had its intended effect, so how does that make it weak?
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Leon Mane
Resident

Postby Leon Mane » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 am

I was aware on both, but I was just giving my reasons for why I saw it as the second weakest episode. Another option could have been to save Chopshop for later, and just have Hard Drive hide inside the first jet's computer until it was safe to leave, zip out by electrical outlet, and then steal the scrambler. Given my need to dust off my writing, I might see about using Chopshop in a chapter, perhaps as Hard Drive's unwitting pawn.

As for his name, either buying from the salvage yard, running one as a base for his namesake's operation, or just a battlefield scrounger getting the good stuff before official cleanup seem like equally viable backgrounds for him... *writes down notes quickly* Overall, it just pains me when a unique character gets turned into the act one warm-up villain and they end up being forgotten with little to no actual impact beyond a single Checkov setup gimmick. Like you said, while never to be seen again after Giant Bacteria, Morbulus was a good potential bad guy, but his real reason to exist was to become the titular monster. He still posed a noticeable threat right up to the end, but more could have been done, maybe as a different monster to be cured, possibly a spider (Drider maybe?), leaving him with yet more eyes and a vendetta against Viper... *writes down more notes*
1 x

MSTRazorFan89
Just Moved In

Postby MSTRazorFan89 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:34 pm

I don't want to put any episode of SWAT Kats down. But let's be honest the weakest one has to be the special News theme episode. We already seen these several times before. Everyone show to some degree has episodes like this one. Most of those in The Simpsons is better than this episode. This episode really doesn't bring anything new or exciting to the table. I could've felt like this episode simply wasn't needed.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Personally I think that one should be off the list; it doesn't seem like anyone likes it, and it isn't even a real episode, nor was it ever intended to be (I think it was basically a promotion for season two that was held back). Its inclusion means most people are going to vote for it. I'd like to know what the people who voted for it would've picked otherwise. I.e., which episode besides that one do they think is the weakest.
0 x

SVMON94
Resident
Flag: Finland

Postby SVMON94 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 am

The weakest episodes in my opinion are Swat Kats Unplugged and Volcanus Erupts. (Not counting the clipshow here) The first just feels it accomplishes nothing,for me it's just them chasing down a random villain and then hard drive gets his ass handed to him with because of oil in his ship's windshield.I just don't get this episode. Volcanus erupts is pretty bland filler like in a super lengthy anime,i mean it would have been intresting if the episode was just the backstory of Dr Viper instead of being two 10-minute stories.
0 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:25 am

As I've said elsewhere, I don't feel Volcanus Erupts! is weak at all. I think people just don't like the story, or the villain. Plus the fact it takes away screentime which could've been used for Dr. Viper's origin story. These things are understandable, but it doesn't change the fact Volcanus Erupts! is a very tightly-plotted little episode that uses its running time well. It has a beginning, middle and end, and no filler; we set up the peril, Volcanus is unleashed, there's a fight, and the plot is resolved. Even if you want to dismiss the episode itself as filler, there's no filler in it, and the only casualty of the extremely short running time is the fact the islander guy disappears halfway through the story and never returns. But this is just evidence that no episode is perfect.

So, while people may not like the story Volcanus Erupts! has to tell, this doesn't make it a weak episode. On the contrary, I've said before I think it's actually the strongest of the two shorts along with Cry Turmoil. Both use their limited runtime wisely. The fact Cry Turmoil turned out as good as it did is a miracle considering Lance Falk had to whittle it down from a full-length episode to a short.

SWAT Kats Unplugged is overall the weakest of the four. It just rushes by really fast and suddenly it's over. Now, you wanna talk about filler, just look at the opening sequence with Chopshop. All he does is take away screentime from the Hard Drive part of the story

Now, you say, that may be unfair, considering other episodes such as The Giant Bacteria, Bride of the Pastmaster and Metal Urgency all begin with the SWAT Kats involved in action sequences unconnected to the main part of the plot. And while this is true, those aren't filler. Consider:

The Giant Bacteria's opening chase scene/air battle serves two purposes, to introduce us to the SWAT Kats and let the audience see them kicking tail before getting to the main story, and introduce the guy who'll get turned into the monster. Being the first episode made - and second aired - The Giant Bacteria had work to do in the setup department that SWAT Kats Unplugged did not, and, unlike Chopshop, Morbulus sticks around and remains part of the story even after he's defeated.

Bride of the Pastmaster's fight against the sea monster is a little closer to filler, but it does at least serve the purpose of having the SWAT Kats be where the story needs them to be when the time vortex opens, and some elements from it (the damage the Turbokat sustains, particularly the spine through the wing) become part of the plot once they get to the Dark Ages i.e. the Turbokat needing repairs and being so low on missiles after fighting the sea monster means they can't immediately rely on it to go up against the mythological monsters, and, although it's a small detail that might go overlooked, T-Bone actually uses the extracted sea monster spine as a weapon in battle. Plus, it makes for a nice bookend when the SWAT Kats are returned to the present and encounter another one of the same sea creatures, even if it sadly ends too abruptly.

And as for Metal Urgency, its opening sequence ends with the Behemoth crash into the storage building, revealing the Macrobots so Hackle can see them on TV, which causes him to leave the room to go call and complain to Puma-Dyne, allowing Mac and Molly to escape while he's gone. In addition, since Mac and Molly know about the Macrobots, too, even though it isn't their initial plan, Mac does eventually get the idea to go steal them once he and Molly lose their bodies. So the opening scene of Hard Drive taking the Behemoth for a joyride, despite not being part of the main story, isn't filler.

And does the Chopshop sequence provide us with? They chase him and defeat him. Nothing he does affects the plot, and he never reappears after being captured. Nothing the SWAT Kats themselves do during or after beating him does, either. In the main part of the story, Dr. Ohm watches the news coverage of it on TV. That's it. While this is similar to Hackle watching the coverage of the Behemoth battle, unlike Hackle, nothing Ohm sees on TV makes him do anything. He'd already finished the weapon scrambler, and was about to call his supervisor about it, something he would've done whether he'd watched the news about Chopshop's capture or not. I suppose you could be generous and say watching the news delayed Ohm long enough that by the time he picked up the phone, Hard Drive zapped in and prevented him from making the call, but that's pretty thin, and Ohm couldn't have been delayed and longer than a moment or two. So, the Chopshop scene is pure filler.

And because of this needless filler, the potentially interesting story involving a device that turns weapons systems off is rushed crazily.

That brings us to The Origin of Dr. Viper. The fourth and final short (I won't discuss Cry Turmoil; so many others have). It's a stronger episode than SWAT Kats Unplugged, but, sadly, as much as I like it, I have to admit it's a weak episode than the other two shorts. Yes, weaker than Volcanus Erupts! There, I said it. As noted, whatever one may think of Volcanus Erupts!, it uses its screentime wisely. And unfortunately, The Origin of Dr. Viper does not. It has filler in it.

What filler you ask? The Reflex Room stuff.

It's only in there to remind the audience that the SWAT Kats exist because Glenn Leopold apparently couldn't think of a better way to integrate them into the plot with the short time allotted. Yes, without those scenes, the main characters wouldn't be in the story until near the end, but this doesn't change the fact it's filler born of Leopold's failure to think of a better way to involve them. There were similar scenes in Volcanus Erupts!, but those introduced things like the Turbokat's heat shields and the rivet gun, both of which figure into the fight with Volcanus later. What does the Reflex Room stuff have to offer to the main story? A setup for a gag involving T-Bone knocking Manx's toupee off. That's about it. And while a funny callback, it isn't plot specific.

But what makes it a better episode than SWAT Kats Unplugged? The fact that the main story doesn't suffer as a result of the filler; the Reflex Room scenes are short and more spaced out, and Leopold wisely allots more time to the story of the Viper Mutagen's creation, making good use of expository dialogue that (mostly) sounds natural in order to explain what it is (things like Manx forgetting about the grant he gave Zyme, and Zyme reminding him, delivering exposition to the audience in the process, feels natural). Leopold thereafter pretty economically tells the story of the mtuagen's attempted theft and Purvis' subsequent death and resurrection as Viper, without any of it feeling too rushed. As with Volcanus Erupts!, though, the short runtime and tight plotting mean that some characters vanish; the episode ends with Zyme still tied up, and Feral and his men still "frozen" out in the hall. Leopold's decision to focus on the gag with the toupee instead of reassuring us that Zyme, Feral and the commandos are okay is what brings the episode down a few notches below Volcanus Erupts!; yes, it, too, had a character who up and disappeared from the story, but unlike Zyme and the Enforcers, the islander was last seen alive and well with Ann and Jonny, so we have no cause to wonder whether he'll be okay. The only issue is why he isn't at the ribbon cutting ceremony at the end. But with Zyme and the Enforcers, while they're not in danger, they're still immobilized and in need of assistance, but the episode just forgets about them.

I mean, yes, obviously, we know the mosquitoes' paralyzing fluid wears off eventually, so the Enforcers will be fine, and we can imagine that if the SWAT Kats untied Manx and Callie they'd untie Zyme, too, so he'll be okay (until The Giant Bacteria, anyway; seriously, guys, bring this poor guy back in Revolution somehow). But knowing it isn't the same as seeing it, so because the episode ends with four people still in need of assistance (if not outright rescue), its ending feels very abrupt, so I have to make an example of it.
0 x

Return to “SK Show Discussion”