POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.

Which episode do you think was the weakest?

The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice
0
No votes
The Giant Bacteria
0
No votes
The Wrath of Dark Kat
1
4%
Destructive Nature
0
No votes
The Metallikats
0
No votes
Bride of the Pastmaster
0
No votes
Night of the Dark Kat
0
No votes
Chaos in Crystal
0
No votes
The Ghost Pilot
0
No votes
Metal Urgency
0
No votes
The Ci-Kat-A
0
No votes
Enter the Madkat
0
No votes
Katastrophe
0
No votes
Mutation City
0
No votes
A Bright and Shiny Future
0
No votes
When Strikes Mutilor
0
No votes
Razor's Edge
6
21%
Cry Turmoil
0
No votes
SWAT Kats Unplugged
1
4%
The Deadly Pyramid
0
No votes
Caverns of Horror
0
No votes
Volcanus Erupts!
7
25%
The Origin of Dr. Viper
1
4%
The Dark Side of the SWAT Kats
0
No votes
Unlikely Alloys
0
No votes
The SWAT Kats: A Special Report
12
43%
 
Total votes: 28

User avatar
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
x 1774
x 1552
Flag: United States of America

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:43 am

NeeKnight wrote:Treason? Did I miss the episode where they made an attempt on the president's life and sold govenment secrets to other unfriendly countries?!!!


Eh, ignore that stuff. Jesse has this... thing about Feral.

Anyway, weakest episode is definitely Volcanus Erupts!, although they've all got their bad points, that one wins just by dint of being one gigantic waste of time. If it isn't the weakest episode overall, then it's definitely the weakest of the four "shorts."

I don't count the Kat's Eye News Special Report because it isn't even an episode, therefore it can't be the strongest or weakest of anything. It simply doesn't count.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

User avatar
YuriHoshimi
Just Moved In
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:52 am

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby YuriHoshimi » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:13 pm

I picked Origin of Dr. Viper, cause I wish the episode could've been longer and more in dept
in Elrod Purvis's past with Dr. Zyme. Plus they goofed with glovatrixes by not givning them the original
ones from Season 1 :P
0 x

User avatar
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
x 1774
x 1552
Flag: United States of America

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:55 am

While we're on that subject, I think all of the "half" episodes are quite weak. Their incredibly short running times mean there's not much time to develop a proper plot.

The Origin of Dr. Viper as you say feels too rushed, and has a weak resolution. Volcanus Erupts! and SWAT Kats Unplugged just feel like "basic" episodes going through the motions. Cry Turmoil is the strongest in terms of story (even if I'm not biggest fan, I can admit that), I think, but again, it's just way too short. I think they should've dumped Volcanus Erupts! and SWAT Kats Unplugged and expanded The Origin of Dr. Viper and Cry Turmoil into full-length episodes. This would've allowed for developing T-Bone and Turmoil's relationship better, as well as giving her an actual backstory of some sort.

I also feel that making The Origin of Dr. Viper entirely a flashback episode without a wraparound story set in the present was a mistake. It feels out of place in season two as a result, and adding a prologue and epilogue was something they could've easily done if it'd been a full episode.

Of the full-length episodes, I actually think two of the most popular, Mutation City and The Deadly Pyramid, are very weak. Both have very good animation and a fun central premise, but their stories don't quite seem like they justify the expensive animation boost (except for maybe Mutation City). They also drastically underuse their main villains. Dr. Viper barely shows up, and it's his only season two episode that isn't a flashback, while the Pastmaster doesn't do anything particularly interesting except for wear a cool crown. Also, his motivation seems weird; prior to realizing Callie looks like Callista, he was sending the mummies to kill Mayor Manx, someone he's never even interacted with.

Why does he want to kill Manx? So he can be mayor? If so, why? His schtick is he wants to return everything to the dark ages, and he doesn't need to be mayor to do that, or even actually do anything to Manx in particular. It's like Glenn Leopold wanted the plot to involve the Pastmaster using Callie as a substitute for Callista, but was just spinning his wheels, story-wise, prior to the scene where her glasses get knocked off, and attempting to kill the Mayor was the best thing he could come up with to have as the Pastmaster's initial plan.

In general, I think this speaks to a problem the writers had with the Pastmaster - namely that they didn't quite seem to know what to do with him half the time, and nowhere is it more apparent than in The Deadly Pyramid. Other strikes against it are the fact the mummies, big though they are, don't have particularly interesting character designs, and "killing" Cybertron. I'm one of the people who liked him, and I disliked the episode's mean-spirited treatment of the brave little robot, and the somewhat bleak and ambiguous ending he gets. It would've been nice if Leopold had let Hackle successfully rebuild him.

As for Mutation City, the mutants are cool, especially Viper's gigantic form at the end, and it has some good story moments, but as I said, Viper's barely in it. Admittedly he only had a couple of scenes in his debut, but they were strong ones and quite memorable, so he left an impression. Here, he pours some pink slime on a frog in a pet store, then pops up briefly to gloat later, and then suddenly is a hundred feet tall... and as awesome as he looks as a giant, he doesn't do anything particularly interesting, besides shoot acid out from under his fingernails (which is more weird than cool), and smack Enforcer Headquarters with his tail a couple of times. Oh, and he gets taken out like a chump. Also, the "T-Bone can't swim" and "T-Bone gets mutated" plot points are poorly developed, and Mutant!T-Bone, like Giant!Viper, doesn't really do much.

I'll say this much, though, at least they endangered the right SWAT Kat this time. I found it a little weird that in The Ci-Kat-A, while T-Bone has the bug phobia, he isn't ever put into any situations wherein he confronts it or even really overcomes it (bar one line at the end as a joke). If Mutation City had followed The Ci-Kat-A's example, it would've introduced the fact T-Bone can't swim... and then never done anything with it, victimizing Razor again instead.
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

User avatar
YuriHoshimi
Just Moved In
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:52 am

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby YuriHoshimi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 pm

I think they should've also have done an origin story on Dark Kat.
I mean, if he evil cause he's possessed? Did he have a previous form?
It would've been nice.
I also think they could've done a movie before
they series got cancelled so it could've had a
"grand finale".
0 x

User avatar
Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 9:33 pm
x 205
x 741
Flag: United States of America

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby Felony » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:Deadly Pyramid [...] while the Pastmaster doesn't do anything particularly interesting except for wear a cool crown. Also, his motivation seems weird; prior to realizing Callie looks like Callista, he was sending the mummies to kill Mayor Manx, someone he's never even interacted with.

Why does he want to kill Manx? So he can be mayor? If so, why? His schtick is he wants to return everything to the dark ages, and he doesn't need to be mayor to do that, or even actually do anything to Manx in particular. It's like Glenn Leopold wanted the plot to involve the Pastmaster using Callie as a substitute for Callista, but was just spinning his wheels, story-wise, prior to the scene where her glasses get knocked off, and attempting to kill the Mayor was the best thing he could come up with to have as the Pastmaster's initial plan.


Perhaps it is his Dark Ages thinking that makes him feel he has to kill off Manx? You know the whole "conquer the city, kill the old king to become the new king" sort of thing. Of course Callie would then be in charge recognized by the citizens but if he marries her, he feels that would justify his ascension to the "throne" (marrying the princess to rightfully become king). LOL I dunno, is what I figured was his messed up logic.
1 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony

User avatar
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
x 1774
x 1552
Flag: United States of America

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:39 pm

I hadn't thought of that. It does make sense. After all, he isn't the first dark age villain to see Manx as a "king" figure.

But I still think The Deadly Pyramid is all sizzle and very little steak...
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

User avatar
T-Bone
Resident
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: MegaKat city
x 15
Flag: Russia

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby T-Bone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:00 pm

I vote for Volcanus Erupts because this is my favorite episode in this show.
0 x
SK fan since 1998.

SwatKats forever!

Razor:Hey,don’t sweat it, I’ll teach you how to swim.
T-Bone:Fish swim,I fly.

User avatar
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
x 1774
x 1552
Flag: United States of America

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:16 pm

T-Bone wrote:I vote for Volcanus Erupts because this is my favorite episode in this show.


You're aware this poll is for the weakest episode, right?
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

User avatar
T-Bone
Resident
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: MegaKat city
x 15
Flag: Russia

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby T-Bone » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
T-Bone wrote:I vote for Volcanus Erupts because this is my favorite episode in this show.


You're aware this poll is for the weakest episode, right?


Oops.Sorry,i made a mistake. I not sleeping yesterday night and after that just thought that "Weakest" it is "Weekly".
0 x
SK fan since 1998.

SwatKats forever!

Razor:Hey,don’t sweat it, I’ll teach you how to swim.
T-Bone:Fish swim,I fly.

User avatar
LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:36 pm
Location: Minnesota
x 84
x 288
Flag: United States of America
Contact:

Re: POLL: Weakest Episode of the Show?

Postby LowdogCraft » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
T-Bone wrote:I vote for Volcanus Erupts because this is my favorite episode in this show.


You're aware this poll is for the weakest episode, right?

I was just about to correct him as well. Basically, what is, in your opinion, the worst SK episode, T-Bone?
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Writer, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
also i'm bi
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."
Icon by @menacing-marshmallow on Tumblr


Return to “SK Show Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests