How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:24 am
x 106
x 232
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby Mikazo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 am

Kooshmeister wrote:The thing with him, and why I guess I owe an apology to Ocelot, is I always found his the cruelest of the deaths in the show and it's been a sore spot with me for years. As noted elsewhere, if The Giant Bacteria had been his only appearance, I wouldn't really care, but he got so much character development in The Origin of Dr. Viper that watching that episode is often a little bittersweet for me, knowing that no matter what he does, a grisly demise is in his future.


Maybe he's the textbook definition of a cinnamon roll? I can see your point and you could certainly make a case for bringing him back (however you'd want to do it!) At the very least if they don't want to include him in the new show, they could at least say that he survived and, after having cashed out his pension and winning a lawsuit against the labs, he is now living it up on a tropical island drinking cocktails out of coconut shells.

Or maybe he just decides to change careers after that ordeal, and ends up living in some remote area working on hydroponics and the development of lab-grown tuna.
2 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:07 pm
x 68
x 135
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby AkaneKitty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:11 am

Another thing I want explanation for is the latent current of hostility between Callie and Feral. Because it makes no sense, even if it was due Feral’s supposed failures. Callie wi exude the SWAT Kats but put the hammer down on Feral, who can’t act outside the law without that being a problem. And since she did this from the start it wasn’t as if Feral’s failures caused her to change her mind.

If headcannoned this hostility between them as a result of them breaking up badly over opinions about the SWAT Kats. This gives another layer to why Feral can’t stand the SWAT Kats (not the only explanation) and explains the bad blood between them.
1 x

User avatar
marklungo
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:20 am
Location: Berea, Ohio
x 1287
x 421
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby marklungo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Mikazo wrote:Maybe he's the textbook definition of a cinnamon roll? I can see your point and you could certainly make a case for bringing him back (however you'd want to do it!) At the very least if they don't want to include him in the new show, they could at least say that he survived and, after having cashed out his pension and winning a lawsuit against the labs, he is now living it up on a tropical island drinking cocktails out of coconut shells.

Or maybe he just decides to change careers after that ordeal, and ends up living in some remote area working on hydroponics and the development of lab-grown tuna.


Considering how many villains came back from the dead on SWAT Kats, I see no reason why one of the good guys can't do so as well.
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:24 am
x 106
x 232
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby Mikazo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:46 pm

marklungo wrote:Considering how many villains came back from the dead on SWAT Kats, I see no reason why one of the good guys can't do so as well.


He could be raised from the dead and become Zombie Zyme.

Well, maybe not.
2 x

Leon Mane
Resident
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:55 pm
x 3
x 61
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby Leon Mane » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:27 pm

Thing with villains is: they have ways to avoid being killed, usually. Dr. Viper can (likely) regenerate, the Metallikats are remarkably durable and have Hackle to rebuild them, Pastmaster is a lich with time magic, and Dark Kat has fail-safes for his fail-safes so killing him is more a matter of having him held in place and confirmed to be him before using a lot of fire, lasers, and maybe a few gallons chlorine tri-flouride for good measure.

A few new character types I'd like to see, support for the SKs. Like someone to cover the shop while they're out, maybe someone who acts as mission control, and possibly a dedicated weapon builder, if not an outright weapon designer (Maybe have Hackle secretly supply them with non-lethal munitions?). Maybe make a few non-generic Enforcers, if just to have faces and voices to separate them? Same goes for scientists. Save a few specific unique characters just to avoid some random person handing over the new Substance-X to stop the new bad guy, if for nothing else, or being attacked and/or forced to make it for the bad guy.

Steel is kind of an odd case for me. Yes, he's a vain glory hound, and he doesn't understand what being a leader means, but he got up the ranks somehow. Could be favors, could be kissing up to the right posterior, could be he did his job, but he was never on the front lines to deal with danger, but the point is, he got there, and he's a bureaucrat (I hate spelling that word, and my spell-check apparently feels the same, because it never helps me!). He's more concerned with looking like he's doing a good job than actually doing a good job. He's meant to be a foil to someone like the heroes. Instead of being at least somewhat useful, he just wants to be a figurehead, but with authority so he can feel important. He wants to be in charge, but he isn't ready because he doesn't know what that really means. Contrast Feral, a seasoned veteran soldier that knows how to be in command, someone that knows that decisions have consequences, and that he has to deal with them. Contrast the SWAT Kats, who actually get the job done instead of sitting around and hoping things just get resolved without their intervention. Contrast Callie, who has a position of power, but does something with it, and something useful at that.

I know one thing that'd be pretty nice. Some slice-of-life episodes once in a while. An episode with Feral stopping regular criminals, maybe a couple of bank robbers get caught by the Enforcers, and Feral grabs one that runs off. Show a normal day where he proves why he earned the Big Chair behind the Big Desk. An episode with Callie curtailing a few bad ideas from Manx with a few clever words, making sure things are running smoothly, possibly planning on one day running for office after Manx finally makes a mistake that gives her a reason to suggest retirement. Jake and Chance working on a few cars, then doing maintenance on their SK gear, talking about their civilian lives in more detail. Maybe even a few days where the villains are just going about their normal routine. Viper out gathering plant samples to get certain substances from them, Dark Kat listening to classical music while designing a new weapon, admonishing his Creeplings for being foolish, maybe the Metallikats being repaired, remembering being flesh and blood, running their old mob and having good times together (Maybe dancing while the crew loots a fancy restaurant, and Mac compliments Molly's eyes, and she talks about how he's 'such a gentleman' for planning a date during a job) while Hackle listens from nearby, smiling like a proud father. Great places for character development.
1 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:24 am
x 106
x 232
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby Mikazo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:56 pm

How about modifying Dr. Viper's character design?

Viper has a very ungainly-looking body shape, with a huge fat tail and tiny spindly legs. Of course there's nothing inherently wrong with this, and his current design very well could just add to his own uniqueness. But one possibility to consider is to give him more human-like (kat-like?) proportions, and maybe make him taller and more physically imposing. The intent here isn't to body shame of course, but to make him more intimidating.

For a point of comparison, think of the Lizard character in the Spiderman comics. Viper and the Lizard are a lot alike, being scientists that turn into reptile creatures. But in spite of his reptilian features, the Lizard is still built very much like a physically strong human.

Image
0 x

User avatar
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 1330
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA
x 1699
x 1495
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:46 am

I see comparisons between Viper and the Lizard often, but pretty much all they have in common is surface level aesthetics like "they're reptilian guys in lab coats," and even then, Viper still has a kat head, whereas the Lizard (outside of The Amazing Spider-Man) doesn't have a human head.

I'm not sure Viper needs to be physically intimidating; he rarely directly engages anyone in a fight, preferring to use his monsters. He isn't supposed to be intimidating, anyway, he's supposed to be creepy; look at his model sheets, despite being a mix of kat and snake, the dude's basically patterned after a sewer rat. The reason Viper has such tiny legs is because he isn't part lizard, he's part snake, so his legs have atrophied to the point where they're almost vestigial as a result; all his physical power is in his tail, which at one point he used to knock down frickin' Dark Kat.

Another bonus of his character design is that his small size and stick-thin build leads people to underestimate him or consider him someone they can get one over on (the Pastmaster is similar in this regard). Morbulus wasn't intimidated by him, and look what happened to him. And Razor thought he could take him, but Viper turned out to be a pretty tough scrapper and he pretty much kicked Razor's behind without needing to be big and buff like the Lizard.

Let Dark Kat and other villains be the big, physically intimidating guys, and keep Viper a creepy, slinky, monster-making creature of the shadows.
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 1:24 am
x 106
x 232
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby Mikazo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:Let Dark Kat and other villains be the big, physically intimidating guys, and keep Viper a creepy, slinky, monster-making creature of the shadows.


Yeah, those are some good points.
2 x

User avatar
marklungo
Fandom Veteran
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:20 am
Location: Berea, Ohio
x 1287
x 421
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby marklungo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Leon Mane wrote:Thing with villains is: they have ways to avoid being killed, usually. Dr. Viper can (likely) regenerate, the Metallikats are remarkably durable and have Hackle to rebuild them, Pastmaster is a lich with time magic, and Dark Kat has fail-safes for his fail-safes so killing him is more a matter of having him held in place and confirmed to be him before using a lot of fire, lasers, and maybe a few gallons chlorine tri-flouride for good measure.


All good points, but in fiction there are countless ways to bring a dead character back to life if the creators and/or fans want it to happen, whether the character has powers or tech to protect them or not. And remember, we never actually saw Zyme's body...

The rest of your post is interesting too. I don't know if the original series would have risked a slice of life episode, if only because the creators saw it as a slam-bang adventure show for ten-year-olds. Sure, there could be slice of life moments, but in the end the stories were expected to deliver fight scenes, chase scenes, explosions, and the like on a regular basis. Maybe Revolution will be different if/when it gets made.
Last edited by marklungo on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Echo
Resident
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:05 pm
x 15
x 74
Flag: United States of America

Re: How closely should a rebooted Swat Kats follow the original story?

Postby Echo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:37 pm

I hope to see more contests between the guys, like more workout challenges and eating challenges. XD
0 x


Return to “SK Show Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest