The Shop Keeper

Talk about the most awesome show in the world, SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.
Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: United States of America

The Shop Keeper

Postby Ty-Chou » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:42 am

Can we talk about this guy for a moment and the vast possibilities?

Exactly where and how did he get that Madkat jack in the box? What ELSE could he possibly have in the store and how many fanfics could you write about every other character in this universe walking into that store and purchasing something they're going to regret? (or not regret?)

What if there really is no store? What if it only appears when you're looking for something specific? What if the shopkeeper himself is more than he seems?

PS. He also has pretty eyes
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Re: The Shop Keeper

Postby Mikazo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:31 am

I am thinking about a Simpsons episode where the family bought a wish-granting monkey's paw from a mysterious peddler. When they took a second glance at the peddler, she had mysteriously vanished. That is, until they looked a little farther over and there she was. :)
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:00 am

Katzmer (assuming that's his name, as the antique shop was called Katzmer's Curios and he seems to be the proprietor) is probably an allusion to the character Mr. Wing/"Grandfather," from the movie Gremlins, who also runs an antique store in Chinatown that has a similar sort of foreboding mysticism surrounding it (the antique store that Randall Peltzer, the father character, purchases the seemingly harmless Mogwai from).

Anyway, judging by his knowledge of the Kat-in-the-box's history, Madkat and the methods with which to defeat him, I'd say that Katzmer is more than just a passive shopkeep. I'd be willing to bet he actively seeks items for their mystical histories, hoarding them for his collection.

And for fun here's a quick panorama photo merge showing the shop (click to enlarge):

Story-wise he has a lot of potential, and offers a less "legitimate" source for plots, compared to Dr. Abby Sinian who's the usual resident expert on the supernatural. If anything, Katzmer being characterized as having some level of malice would help to contrast him. Perhaps he hoards these items for some nefarious purpose, though there's nothing in Enter the Madkat that would seem to suggest this (he does go to the Enforcers and provides the SWAT Kats with key information, but maybe that was just because he felt slighted that Ringtail assaulted him/stole from him).
0 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:41 am

I always thought there was something creepy about the guy.... so yes, I think there is more to him. He has the potential to cause more havoc. I see all sorts of artifacts that could become a fun villain.... like to the right, on the wall is sort of a crows mask.... the villain could put it on and become "The Vulture" ... MUAHA! ::shrugs::

Does anyone else notice that the Asian battle suit (Or is that an iron maiden?) appears to have a human nose?
0 x

jesse220
Long-Term Resident

Postby jesse220 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:50 pm

He might have possessed dolls and dummies (like Slappy from goosebumps) locked up in the basement somewhere so nobody could find it. Other wise they would come to life and reek havoc all over town. Or he might have some other evil object like you see from the Friday the 13th tv show.
0 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:42 am

I especially see an episode where Callie goes into the shop and finds maybe a piece of jewelry that catches her eye and it ends up possessing her or something. It would be interesting to see the Swat Kats try to rescue her from an inner demon instead of an outter monster.

But really, it's possible there are still several other villains in this store just waiting to be discovered. The possibilities are endless!
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:43 pm

I would have liked to have seen this character more as well. Did he get the Madkat box back or did the Enforcers keep it? I imagine there are other artifacts there which may hold trapped beings or spirits. Judging by the fact he worked so hard to speak with the Enforcers and warn them and the SWAT Kats, I felt he leaned more towards good, or could even be neutral. He told Lenny Ringtail that the kat-in-the-box was not for sale, and I imagine there are many items there which he's keeping to stay out of the wrong hands (or any hands period). The possibilities are endless on what sort of things are kept in here and would make for good background stories or starting places for various types of baddies.
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Return to “SK Show Discussion”