Post-Event Thread

Any fandom news about the SWAT Kats, Kats Eye News wants to know!

Were you able to view the Live Stream?

Yes, I watched the whole event
36%
Partially, I only saw part of the event
27%
No, I didn't get to see it at all
36%

Total votes: 22

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Re: Post-Event Thread

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:50 am

Thanks for providing all that footage from yours and Di's visit to Tremblay Bros. Studios and for going through all those efforts and expenses to make this happen, MoDaD. This is probably a kind of fan work which none or just a very few other fandoms have to offer.

From your comments here on MKC and on Twitter it looks like that you had to deal with a lot of technical issues before, during and after the event. It's nice to see that you were able to handle them pretty well.
Was there any footage you would have liked to publish, which didn't make it because of those technical issues?
2 x

MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

Postby MoDaD » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:08 am

Mr. Goodkat wrote:Was there any footage you would have liked to publish, which didn't make it because of those technical issues?

There’s a lot of extra footage, but none of it is really critical or reveals anything of relevance. I'll take another look at some of it, but aside from more B-roll footage, Sage and I talking about the show, and us doing a little reminiscing about the MBI (not things anyone is likely to care about), there's not much else.

A lot of segments that were discarded would’ve benefited from Glenn Leopold’s participation, and I’m still hoping to get him involved at some point. I’m hoping having this series of videos available for reference will help make the case for his involvement later this year. Here’s to hoping.

As for the event itself, it was very challenging to pull off. I spent the entire week leading up to it preparing those video segments as I’d decided at the last minute to try to invest more effort in the live stream as I’d learned how to use OBS. I was up for 48 hours straight the weekend prior getting things ready.

I also packed my car with every tool and piece of equipment I thought I’d need. Two laptops, a monitor, half-a-dozen light stands and tripods, 8 cameras, a dozen SD cards, batteries, lights, mics, recorders, and everything in-between.

Coordinating everyone was also an (worthwhile) effort. Getting 4 different people with 4 different schedules from four different places to appear in the same place at the same time takes a mixture of patience combined with firm but polite coercion. :lol: A big thanks to Sage for making the time with only 30 days notice amid her career switch.

Then there was the process of arranging the SWAT Kats coins as a surprise giveaway, which was something I’d had in the works for over a year, but got sidelined. Luckily, I was able to pick that back up, finish the artwork, and have Kasey at Ranger Industries finalize that into a color enamel filled version and get those struck and finished a mere two days before I had to depart for LA.

My rush order for the laminates (which have since become the unifying visual element) arrived about the same time.

Anyway, I’d been coordinating with a technical contact at the location, but due to a miscommunication, there was not a connection point within 15 feet (4.5 meters) for audio/visual/internet. Nearest Ethernet jack was 60 feet away, and I had to connect to the screen and sound system via Air Play on an Apple TV. Fortunately, I had packed a 100 foot Ethernet cable and I had a MacBook Pro to connect to Air Play, but my sound capture configuration had to be redone. When I first arrived Friday evening around 5:45pm I met with Yvon Tremblay and Sylvie Brousseau (Park La Brea admin) and after exchanging pleasantries this is what I quickly realized, and spent the next 90 minutes doing an initial test setup (Christian Tremblay stopped by to say hello, and I took the opportunity to do a quick iPhone video). I had to leave that inconclusively as I tried to meet Sage at LAX, which wound up being a bit of a disaster, and she had to resort to taking a cab :roll:

The problem with Air Play is there was a bug where the output sound would not be broadcast in the room (it’d work for a few minutes and then stop). I tried numerous configurations with Soundflower and creating hybrid outputs in Audio Midi, all of which worked briefly but seemed to “time out” on-site. I wound up using my backup solution which was to output local audio to a portable speaker I had brought along. Not optimal, but it was the best I could do with the 7pm deadline being quickly reached on Saturday.

The biggest challenge was not having access to the main theater until 5pm on Saturday, with access to an adjacent room at 1pm which was used for the pre-recorded interviews, meaning we had to move all equipment an hour prior to the live stream time. Prior to 1pm, Sage and I spent time going to Griffith Observatory to get some B-Roll footage. Sage’s schedule was tight, otherwise I think it would’ve been neat to spend an extra day around LA, but career comes first ;)

Also, Christian contacted Charlie Adler again on Saturday, and Charlie was able to squeeze us into his schedule and stop by Park La Brea while traveling to another engagement, much to our thanks.

Post production, there were a lot of hurdles. Live stream archive was horribly out of sync and the audio noisy. I wound up replacing it with the audio directly recorded on the TASCAM and had to manually re-sync it. I also took the opportunity to try to edit some relevant footage and cut out some dead areas.

Also had to prioritize the dedicated segment for Christian’s SK Revolution update, which I had recorded the morning of March 26th after I dropped off Sage at LAX.

Anyway, it was the kind of fast-paced, deadline driven, location work I haven’t had the opportunity to do in a few years, and despite a few hiccups it was refreshing to know it could still be done, though without Sage’s on-site assistance it would’ve been a lot more difficult. A big thanks to Yvon and an even bigger thanks to Sylvie who were incredibly helpful with moving equipment and cleanup and obtaining some last-minute resources. Sylvie also handled some on-site catering to make sure everyone was fed.

It was really great to work with the Tremblay Bros., and as always, Television’s Lance Falk was a great sport and was a real highlight of the live stream during his live Unlikely Alloys Commentary and Q&A. Would love to work with all of them again, and possibly include other people as well. I’ll be reaching out to Glenn Leopold soon-ish, and see what his schedule is like.

Mr. Goodkat wrote:Thanks for providing all that footage from yours and Di's visit to Tremblay Bros. Studios and for going through all those efforts and expenses to make this happen, MoDaD. This is probably a kind of fan work which none or just a very few other fandoms have to offer.

Thanks for watching, and also thanks for a lot of the behind-the-scenes support you've provided. Your quick turn around on audio tracks I could use was really helpful, and they really improve the presentation of the finished interviews. Admittedly, after some of the things that happened in 2016 I was feeling pretty demoralized about SWAT Kats, but working on projects like this has really helped to put things back on track.
3 x
Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 am

Technical problems seems to be always there to annoy, but again, you won. I really love the preparation and dedication you put on these events, and having always a plan B to work... It's amazing.

Overall, it was a good event full of everything (revisits, news, fanworks... even prizes!). I hope to assist to one of these next time (and I'm sure there will be an even better next!), now I have the money... I just need the freedom and... the strength to leave my country on my own RazEmbarrassed Anyway, again I'm glad that even with such problems, you manage to succeeded RazorHappyCait
2 x

Return to “Kats Eye News”