Can we get some more details about SK Revolution at Anime Matsuri?

Any fandom news about the SWAT Kats, Kats Eye News wants to know!
Pokygirl2001
Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: Can we get some more details about SK Revolution at Anime Matsuri?

Postby Pokygirl2001 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:55 pm

AkaneKitty wrote:Was it discussed how Feral's character would be treated? Like will he be a non villianious antagonist or a villian? Or will Feral be there at all?

I have no preference either way (though I lean toward Feral being a NVA). I just don't want him to be trounced so others look cool.

However they deal with Feral, the SWAT Kats NEED some sort of antagonist. I feel that if Felina were to be the Commander (Commandress?) the antagonism against the Enforcers would be lost and I will miss that.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:46 am

Welp, I now have what amounts to an official apology from Christian Tremblay for killing Dr. Zyme off. :lol:
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:43 pm

I'm going to save for what happened Friday night after the panel for the last part of this thread. So, skipping ahead to Saturday morning, I get up early, arrive on the floor again, talk with Lance and arrange some on-site things as he'll be there a few hours earlier than the Tremblays. When I arrive I have to help troubleshoot the projection system with some of the staff, and once that's resolved I soon discover that no one had any media to show. Fortunately, I always have a copy of SWAT Kats somewhere in reach, and I transferred some of my rips to a laptop and set a playlist to loop. I wish I'd known in advance about the lack of supplementary presentation items, because IMC-style presentations are a specialty of mine and I could've put something adequate together for both the booth and the panels if I'd had more notice (but, this is ultimately my fault as that would've required a month or two of pre-planning).

So, I wrap that up, have the tables, and Lance arrives as that's where we said we'd meet up. He's still amazed at the setup, especially now that is has a running visual element, and I tell him I'm going to take some B-Roll, which wound up in one of the first videos I put together sped up - here it is at natural speed:

So, after I do that and take some more photos, we start to head out, but we don't make it more than two steps and people start to line up (keep in mind the booth is at the entrance and very eye-catching) and they have lots of questions and they want to talk. I answer some of them, but I get to give Lance Falk an impromtu introduction and pass them off to him (and he's more than adaquate at this - Lance has a real natural talent for speaking - I'd like to encourage him to start a podcast). I wasn't ready for this, but I bring up my Nikon and start recording, knowing full well the ambient noise is going to almost drown anything out, but I try anyway (and it's the reason I have the camera jammed up so close to Lance). He tells a little anecdote about one of the rumors the series was cancelled:

If anyone can transcribe Lance's story or sum it up it'd save me some time :lol: My apologies for the bad audio quality as that was really last-second.

I had the media room set aside to do a private one-on-one interview with Lance and to do some episode commentary, and he was really eager to go do it. But (and some of you may be unhappy with me for doing this) I insisted that Lance remain at the booth, because it was really important to have someone there and I also didn't want to deny people their opportunity to meet Lance. This costs me the opportunity to do the formal sit-down interview Q/A I had planned, but I think the end result and greater good was better served.

So, I got Lance setup at the table, provided him some autograph supplies (which I obtained some from John Leigh early) and started the process of treating the booth as an event. This ultimately worked out, though, because I told Lance that an informal live commentary in this setting would actually be thematically appropriate, and even though it took a little encouraging on my part, he did it and I personally thought it was the high point of the weekend.

And yes, I'm still running behind on that. I had to prioritize a different video that I'm still wrapping up which should be available tomorrow or the day after.
3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:10 pm

And, once again interrupting my narrative, here's a special message that's pertinent to all of this:

2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:56 am

Christian and Yvon arrive toward the end of Lance's commentary, and there's actually a moment that I'll probably include where Lance answers the phone mid-commentary, which I kind of like and maybe I won't edit it out. I'll have to see how that goes. Now everyone's together and there's a lot more people interacting with them. This was the time that Christian game his live commentary for The Deadly Pyramid which all of you have probably already seen.

I had to be creative with my edits on that as there were frequent breaks and pauses to allow for autograph signings:

And there were also several points I scribbled down some talking points/questions to help things along. I'm actually surprised I was able to get what I did considering how busy things got.

Anyway, 3:00 quickly approached, which meant the SWAT Kats Revolution Panel was about to start. I departed early and tried to get setup - I was unable to hookup the TASCAM to the audio system this time, so I attached the boom mic on the ground in front of the audience and hoped for the best while dropping my backup recorder on the table. It's always a good idea to have a backup, and I wound up using the audio which wound up being slightly better, though I'm still a bit disappointed by the quality.

The room was probably too big, and I think there may have been some confusion about the location and time, because several of the most interested fans later mentioned (a bit sadly) during the later autograph signing that they missed it, and I had to reassure them that it was captured and would be freely available online (so hopefully they found the YouTube channel by now).

I don't have much to add about the panel itself, other than I set up a primary Nikon:

...and took stills with the telephoto throughout it while trying to live tweet some stuff (which failed as several of them didn't get out - I think only one did). Toward the end I used my second tripod and switched to video and tried to capture the audience during the Q/A for some poor quality A-B camera work. The lens weighs a lot and the tripod I was using wasn't meant for video, so there wound up being some shakiness along with other amateurish issues.

The Tremblays and Lance spent a decent amount of time talking with fans after the panel ended:

Someone brought a large piece of artwork in (which was followed-up by the artist on Twitter at some point):

They didn't stay too long though, as the scheduled autograph signing event was quickly approaching, and I had to pack up my equipment and drag it down three floors to get back to the booth.

And, as several have asked, those displays that say "official Tremblay Bros. Equipment," no, those were not provided to me. I had to quickly design those based on pathed-out extractions I made from some of the kickstarter graphics and had them made prior to my departure. It was originally part of my apprehension at being bothered by any event staff (which I've explained in detail how that did not happen at all during the course of this event) and me wanting to have all my bases covered to look like I belonged there. A handful of you received some of these :lol:

And, my apologies for running so behind with everything. I've already explained to some of you in private about my IRL distractions over the past few weeks that stem from those work-related issues I alluded to at the start of this thread. As always, you patience is greatly appreciated.
3 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:42 am

Even improvising, I think you did a great job there, you though for a lot of things beforehand that other would had missed in your position and helped you a lot. Come on, you did a better job than a lot of other official recorders out there! :lol:
1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Apparently Lance and I arrived at this idea independently as we both asked John Leigh seperately if we could do the autograph signing at the booth instead of the generic area in the back, which I think turned out great despite some last-minute logistical hurdles invovling line forming and direction, but it worked out fine thanks to the helpful staff and very cooperative fans. There isn't much I can add to what's already been shown here:

The mood was very uplifting, everyone seemed excited and the Tremblays and Lance easily signed over a hundred posters. The box was pretty much empty, so those of you that got one are pretty lucky to have received one :)

During this I spent my time juggling between running video from different perspectives and taking lots of photos, while also live tweeting photos AND in the background I was unboxing and assembling lanyards and badges as the three of them couldn't leave the table. A lot of people signed up for the drawing to win an exclusive animation cel:

It was all very surreal. From my perspective, SWAT Kats has always been this kind of background, private, low key hobby that I've shared with a handful of people who I consider friends. To see it in such a public and populated venue and being surrounded by fans who you could tell loved the show, well, it was an experience I have a hard time articulating.

Anyway, the autographs flew by, and before I knew it two hours had passed and they were closing the floor at 7pm, which I know was probably to the disappointment of several who were at the back of the line. It could've easily gone on for another hour. As things wound down, I made sure to get them to do a thank you segment for John Leigh, and also recorded the drawing - unfortunately the person who won didn't answer their phone so a lot of the appeal was lost because of that, but I'll post that video eventually.

I also noticed Lance was hurriedly getting out of his seat - he was heading to the T-Shirt area to get whatever was left. As he did that, I shoved $100 in his hand and told him to get me whatever was left as I had to stay at the booth to wrap up some things. Lance obliged and got me some T-Shirts, of which some of you have in your possession (and, before anyone asks, I have to apologize, I'm all out of T-Shirts - they've been distributed to certain fans already).

With Katrina's hospital stay the three of them needed to depart, and we said out brief goodbyes, but not before Christian insisted that he get me a signed poster. I didn't really want one for myself, as I said I'd prefer to have some to give to people online, to which they agreed and despite having already done so for hours they gave me a handful of signed posters. If you did not receive a signed poster, my apologies, these were in short supply. I was able to get extra unsigned versions - but as of today I think I only have one poster (unsigned) left. I also made sure to grab a handful of extra lanyards and badges, too.

With that done, I departed the convention center and walked back to my hotel room at about 8pm local time. It was then I realized I hadn't eaten anything all day - as soon as I had woken up that Saturday morning it was non-stop. I got to my room and started the immediate backup/transfer of all my footage to my laptop. Despite a city full of food choices, I opted for the bar/restaurant in the hotel lobby:

Turkey burger and fries - it was okay.

After I ate I returned to my room and started reviewing and organizing things. The internet was not working, so what I could do was limited. I was exhausted, but as 11:30 rolled around, I realized my entire schedule had been SWAT Kats for 48 hours. I hadn't really done anything "for fun" at the convention. So, against my better judgement, I decided to exercise that press pass one last time to cover the Anime Stand-up Comedy for Big Kids at midnight, which I got lots of photos and full audio for. When I get extra time I'll have to put something together for that.

Next up, my last morning in Houston where I learn an important lesson in the physics of luggage and how difficult it can be to get a cardboard box.
4 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:08 pm

MoDaD wrote: as 11:30 rolled around, I realized my entire schedule had been SWAT Kats for 48 hours. I hadn't really done anything "for fun" at the convention.

LOL THIS is how I always feel when doing conventions. When selling at a table as a vendor/artist, you get stuck behind a table for most of the day. Thankfully my husband comes with me and is very sweet, making sure I'm fed, taking over when I need a bathroom break or just a break in general to look around (usually to get something for our kiddo if he isn't with us), helping to promote my work, assisting with money, etc. Even when Poecat and I were doing them together with our husbands, we really couldn't stray from the table to do things like go to panels and speak with the guests (though exceptions were made for ones we were excited about like Jim Cummings) for too long. There might be questions our husbands (as good a salesmen as they are) couldn't answer or folks wanting a commission or wanting a signature on a comic or artwork. Afterparties were a no go as well as there were commissions to do (or "homework" as Poecat calls it XD) for people to pick up the next day. When you work a convention, it's work. I've always treated it like a business because once you start selling your artwork, it's no longer just a hobby. I do enjoy talking with people who come by, whether they buy something or not, and love getting pics of the awesome cosplayers when they come by. I feel at home with my people XD at cons discussing things most of my friends offline could give two pewps about.

I'm glad you decided to go participate in something besides SWAT Kats at that con and seriously, I can't say this enough how much this little obscure fandom of ours appreciates your non-stop SWAT Kats assistance that weekend. Seriously, if I was there, I would gladly have assisted you with whatever I could (as long as it didn't involve driving lulz). Even behind the scenes working, the whole event is enjoyable provided the staff do a good job. I've been to both wonderfully run and not so well run cons, so Anime Matsuri sounds like it was one of the good ones.

Also lulz "Burger Theory" sounds like an RPG term. XD

Burger Theory: When characters go to a place to eat, it is assumed the food is ordered, arrives, and is eaten without having to describe such actions occurring in detail.
2 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:27 pm

I pack up as many items as I can, and I take special care to hang up several of the souvenir items in a bag on the handle of my hotel room door to help ensure I don't forget them. I check on the backups to my laptop, and keep the files on their original media, AND as a final precaution I transfer everything to a 64GB USB drive that I put in my wallet. I would've also wanted to offsite/cloud backup things, too, but the intermittent internet connection wasn't going to make that possible. Is it odd to think that the first concern I had involving a plane crash was that all that footage would've been lost? :lol: In hindsight I really should've put that in the mail.

I get to sleep around 2:00am, and wake up about 7 hours later. My flight is scheduled to leave at 2:00pm local time, so I have at least a solid 2 hours to kill, so I decide to stop by the convention center one last time. I have to abandon a lot of unnecessary items and extra clothing to make room for the additional things I'm bringing back - a small sacrifice :lol: Though I still have to figure out a way to transport the posters I've collected as they're gently rolled in a plastic bag - in that current state there's no way they're surviving air travel with multiple layovers. My instincts tell me to go back to the convention center (plus I want to check the booth one last time and collect additional B-Roll footage just in case - I also need to buy some thank you items for a few personal friends).

I check out of the hotel and take an Uber to get there (I should mention that I've been routinely taking Uber and cabs unless otherwise stated - Uber was more affordable, but there's a certain intensity and purpose in the way a cab is driven, which will serve me later...).
3 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:59 am

MoDaD wrote:Is it odd to think that the first concern I had involving a plane crash was that all that footage would've been lost? :lol: In hindsight I really should've put that in the mail.

I think it's a bit odd, but it shows how much of a die-hard SK fan you seem to be. :lol:

MoDaD wrote:I have to abandon a lot of unnecessary items and extra clothing to make room for the additional things I'm bringing back - a small sacrifice :lol:

I think that reinforces what I just wrote and I'm actually a bit surprised that you needed to abandon some of your other stuff in order to bring everything you've got from the convention back home. :shock:

MoDaD wrote:I check out of the hotel and take an Uber to get there (I should mention that I've been routinely taking Uber and cabs unless otherwise stated - Uber was more affordable, but there's a certain intensity and purpose in the way a cab is driven, which will serve me later...).

As I haven't been in the US yet I had to check what an Uber is in that context. According to my quick research it's a smart-phone-based car service competing with the classic taxi services. I just note this for other readers who might also be wondering what an Uber is. ;)
0 x

Return to “Kats Eye News”