Can we get some more details about SK Revolution at Anime Matsuri?

Any fandom news about the SWAT Kats, Kats Eye News wants to know!
Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Re: Can we get some more details about SK Revolution at Anime Matsuri?

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:15 am

Your report is very interesting to read so far and I'm curious what happened next.

MoDaD wrote:Anyway, this display is very eye-catching, and it's right near the entrance. Everyone coming and going sees this thing.

I guess John Leigh (the organizer of Anime Matsuri) and his staff has to be thanked for assigning Tremblay Bros. Studios such a good strategic position to set up such a display. I think, I remember that Christian said or wrote that John is a big fan of SWAT Kats himself and actually invited them to come. So it's probably not a coincidence that they got such a good spot. ;)

MoDaD wrote:But, I didn't blink an eye, and with no hesitation I tell him we need tables, some kind of barricade, and a visual display setup that can take misc. multimedia input - preferably from a laptop, and some chairs. I tell him how we need things setup to keep the backdrop in place, an area for three people to be in front of it, while still allowing an area for photos and posing in front of the display. [...]

That's sound like you had to improvise in a short amount of time. Is it common on conventions like these that the attendees are already being let in while the exhibitors are still setting up stuff?
Sounds very challenging and stressful to me. :shock:
1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Postby MoDaD » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:19 am

Mr. Goodkat wrote:That sounds like you had to improvise in a short amount of time.

That pretty much sums up the whole weekend, particularly during the Friday evening panel and Saturday morning/afternoon.

Mr. Goodkat wrote:Is it common on conventions like these that the attendees are already being let in while the exhibitors are still setting up stuff?

I suppose it depends on the exhibitor and the time frame. Everything was ready by when it needed to be for scheduled events, but I did get the feeling from the staff that things were cut a little close. Saturday there was further improvisation regarding the autograph signing location, which may have ultimately caused some confusion on the floor but I think worked out for the best in the long term. More on that later.
1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:57 pm

And, at the risk of undercutting my written tale of intrigue, here's a complete directory with just under 1,300 photos. Anyone know if this is a Guitar Hero or Rockband guitar?

Ebony Winter gets her guitar signed by the Tremblay Bros. and Lance Falk, with a bonus T-Bone drawing in permanent marker by Christian Tremblay.
1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:44 pm

One thing I should mention is that while I'm doing all of this I'm also juggling my phone to try to live tweet whenever I get a chance, which is hit-or-miss because my signal strength varies as some of the rooms in the building are like giant Faraday cages, and there's probably a million different signals from the 30,000 people there competing for limited cell tower resources, so it takes over 5 minutes to send a photo tweet sometimes.

Anyway, we arrive in the general assembly, and meet Lance:

It's just a quick introduction/handshake - we've corresponded numerous times over the past decade so we're not complete strangers. I split off and head for the press area and get a decent spot among other photographers.

The opening ceremony was a fairly informal hour-long event where a speaker (don't have her name at the moment) introduces all of the guests, who each get about one minute or so to introduce themselves and talk about who they are and where to find them.

[img]http://megakatcity.com/misc/anime-matsuriOne thing I should mention is that while I'm doing all of this I'm also juggling my phone to try to live tweet whenever I get a chance, which is hit-or-miss because my signal strength varies as some of the rooms in the building are like giant Faraday cages, and there's probably a million different signals from the 30,000 people there competing for limited cell tower resources, so it takes over 5 minutes to send a photo tweet sometimes.

The opening ceremony was a fairly informal hour-long event where a speaker (don't have her name at the moment) introduces all of the guests, who each get about one minute or so to introduce themselves and talk about who they are and where to find them.

I was concentrating on photos too much and neglected to record the audio (which would've been bad if I was trying to cover the entirety of the event), but for SWAT Kats relevant content nothing consequential was missed, just Christian and Lance introducing themselves, mentioning what SWAT Kats was and where to find them at the panel later that night. Like the other guests, they were only on stage for about 30 seconds or so apiece.

And Lance was introduced separately:

The only guests that got more time were toward the end, and understandable as they were the star attraction for the weekend, Morning Musume:

And, that first guy in line I mentioned earlier (I have his name, I swear) gets to deliver his gift to the group:

This room was probably the only time I needed to use a strobe as the room was really dark (which I admittedly didn't use quite 100% correctly - if any of these photos need to be used in an official capacity I'll have to touch them up, particularly for red eye removal).

The audience was really into everything, and despite the room being too large and very awkwardly setup, I could still feel the excitement:

Christian and Yvon both seemed to enjoy themselves, and so did Lance (despite what this picture may suggest):

Image0142-DSC_0088.jpg[/img]

I was concentrating on photos too much and neglected to record the audio (which would've been bad if I was trying to cover the entirety of the event), but for SWAT Kats relevant content nothing consequential was missed, just Christian and Lance introducing themselves, mentioning what SWAT Kats was and where to find them at the panel later that night. Like the other guests, they were only on stage for about 30 seconds or so apiece.

And Lance was introduced separately:

The only guests that got more time were toward the end, and understandable as they were the star attraction for the weekend, Morning Musume:

And, that first guy in line I mentioned earlier (I have his name, I swear) gets to deliver his gift to the group:

This room was probably the only time I needed to use a strobe as the room was really dark (which I admittedly didn't use quite 100% correctly - if any of these photos need to be used in an official capacity I'll have to touch them up, particularly for red eye removal).

The audience was really into everything, and despite the room being too large and very awkwardly setup, I could still feel the excitement:

Christian and Yvon both seemed to enjoy themselves, and so did Lance (despite what this picture may suggest):

3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:17 pm

After the opening ceremony, there's about an hour before the Friday Night panel starts. I sneak in some questions on video (nothing too revealing, will probably add those as bonus/extra content), and I also re-encounter one of the fans I'd interviewed that morning, and get a shot of him with Christian:

Lance is eager to see what's been put on the main floor, so we head back downstairs:

And he's eager to get a photo in front of it with the Tremblays. I could really tell that Lance was really seeing this as some kind of personal homecoming, and even though I would have liked to have met Glenn, I'm really glad that Lance was there.

Anyway, the clock is ticking, and I leave early to get to the room to make sure I'm setup okay. With the aid of the event staff, I directly hookup my TASCAM via an XLR connection to record audio for the Friday night panel (a feat that I was not able to repeat the following day, unfortunately). I also hook-up my MacBook to the projection system and have SWAT Kats episodes queued up for reference - this was incredibly last minute and improvised, and I had to juggle that between tweets and photos and also tossing in stuff off to the side for them to talk about at one point (more on that later).

And Lance, being the true professional he is, shows up early while I'm setting up my equipment. I notice he's sitting in the front row conversing with John Nguyen, their assigned Anime Matsuri Guest Ambassador, and I toss him my SONY recorder. He obliges, and now we get this:

3 x

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:19 pm

I am LOVING that interview with Lance, thank you so much. It's fascinating. I giggled a bit about going head-to-head with the Ninja Turtles. Can you really compare cats to turtles though? :mrgreen:

This is really in-depth. I'd have to come back and look at more~
1 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Artsite
My Blog
Art Commission Info

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:02 pm

And, will resume this story eventually, but in the meantime, here's Christian's episode commentary:

3 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:11 pm

The footage shown in this clip fits quite well to Christian's commentary.
I have to admit that I didn't notice some of the details in that episode before which he's describing.
0 x

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:21 pm

Wow. They changed the quite a bit from the concept to the final product. I expect that because people do that during production. The rough script for the beginning and the concept of the mummies only being about a foot or two taller than a normal citizen.

Regardless this was a great episode the way it came out.

Cheistian's comments were good too. It's like those commentary's that DVD's have the option to do, that I never heard or seen...
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:39 pm

So, the Friday panel starts, and I suppose now is a good time to get some specifics about this question:

Mr. Goodkat wrote:Which job(s) did you have during these two days being at the convention?

I get my audio recorder hooked up to the sound system and also run a backup that I drop on the table. I’m asked if I want to moderate the panel, to which I politely decline for a couple of reasons:

1. My voice is destroyed due to my ongoing illness.
2. I’d be unable to run the cameras.
3. Most importantly, no one cares about me or wants to hear what I have to say (I keep this one to myself, though).

That’s not to say there aren’t moments where I discreetly participated. There was a projector in the room, so I took the liberty of hooking up my MacBook and queued up SWAT Kats episodes to run in the background, and when one in particular was mentioned (notably when Lance spoke) I brought those up for the audience to see.

Due to Glenn’s absence, he was unable to represent a key piece of trivia that was very relevant, so I whispered in Lance’s ear about the Curse of Kataluna / Eclipse connection regarding repurposed scripts:

I also kept the time and provided them countdowns.

While doing that, I also ran the cameras and took photos with the telephoto lens. You probably saw me moving back-and-forth on the periscope footage at various points:

And, here’s the photo that corresponded with that:

I’m kind of glossing over the Friday panel a little as I’ll have a video dedicated solely to this eventually (and most of you already viewed the periscope – special thanks to Mr. Goodkat for ripping that for me – I may have to rely on some of Katrina’s footage for audience reactions as my GoPro angle was rushed and is kind of worthless).
2 x

Return to “Kats Eye News”