Visit to Trembly Bros. Studios

Any fandom news about the SWAT Kats, Kats Eye News wants to know!
Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Re: Visit to Trembly Bros. Studios

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:33 pm

MoDaD wrote:Anyway, one of the things I want to make sure to include is a 30-minute-ish live stream, likely through the YouTube channel. It's probably going to occur toward the end. It'd be nice to have some interaction with fans, but I don't want to oversell this yet in case there are any unforeseen limitations. Something along the lines of reading comments/questions off the YouTube stream, or using Twitter, or maybe even coordinating a call-in using one of my various Google phone numbers might be a possibility.

If you would like to have interactions with fans I guess you should look for a service provider that allows to post comments quite easily.
I remember that it was fun to chat with the other fans while the Periscope footage was streamed from the Anime Matsuri Convention last year, but the thing was that you needed a Twitter account in order to do that. This would be similar on YouTube as you need a Google account in order to post a comment. Don't know if this is a big problem or if everybody has such an account these days anyway. Maybe Twitch.tv could be an alternative as it looks like that you can post comments there without having a user account, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure. I think Picarto.tv also allows to post comments without a user account, but I'm not sure if that would be the right platform since this is a service for artists to stream their drawing sessions. It's probably best to ask Poecat about it in that case since she's got a channel there.

In case that you also want some response from oversea you should keep the time in mind when planning the stream. A short example for Madrid (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden) and lot of other european cities: If you would start the stream at 4pm in Los Angeles it would be 1am in these cities.
1 x

SVMON94
Resident
Flag: Finland

Postby SVMON94 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Mr. Goodkat wrote:
MoDaD wrote:Anyway, one of the things I want to make sure to include is a 30-minute-ish live stream, likely through the YouTube channel. It's probably going to occur toward the end. It'd be nice to have some interaction with fans, but I don't want to oversell this yet in case there are any unforeseen limitations. Something along the lines of reading comments/questions off the YouTube stream, or using Twitter, or maybe even coordinating a call-in using one of my various Google phone numbers might be a possibility.

If you would like to have interactions with fans I guess you should look for a service provider that allows to post comments quite easily.
I remember that it was fun to chat with the other fans while the Periscope footage was streamed from the Anime Matsuri Convention last year, but the thing was that you needed a Twitter account in order to do that. This would be similar on YouTube as you need a Google account in order to post a comment. Don't know if this is a big problem or if everybody has such an account these days anyway. Maybe Twitch.tv could be an alternative as it looks like that you can post comments there without having a user account, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure. I think Picarto.tv also allows to post comments without a user account, but I'm not sure if that would be the right platform since this is a service for artists to stream their drawing sessions. It's probably best to ask Poecat about it in that case since she's got a channel there.

In case that you also want some response from oversea you should keep the time in mind when planning the stream. A short example for Madrid (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden) and lot of other european cities: If you would start the stream at 4pm in Los Angeles it would be 1am in these cities.

Twitch.tv requires an account if you want to post in chats. However you can just login with your facebook account.
1 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Postby MoDaD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:43 pm

This is the general physical setup I'm going for:

setup.jpg

Unfortunately, Tremblay Bros. Studios proper is inaccessible due to a move / renovation that's in-progress, but we've secured a location at a lecture hall / theater (for free, no less, so that's one less item to have to budget).

Still finalizing who will be in attendance. Guarantees are the Tremblays and Lance. Glenn will be unable to attend this time, but I should be able to follow-up with him at a later date. There are rumors about who might also be there - these are unconfirmed, and until they are, I'm not going to say anything until it's 100% certain as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

As a reminder, I'd like to keep everyone's expectations appropriate. Should have better information in the weeks leading up to March 25th.

I'm also trying to arrange a special giveaway item - again, still in the works - we'll see how that goes in the next few days as I try to finalize it.

As always, your input to this thread will help, so any random ideas, questions, etc. feel free to just unload them here.
4 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:40 am

MoDaD wrote:There are rumors about who might also be there - these are unconfirmed, and until they are, I'm not going to say anything until it's 100% certain as I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

Some have asked me to clarify - yes, we're trying to keep the idea in mind with Charlie Adler via Twitter and a few behind-the-scenes contacts/requests, but at this point it's too early to tell and there's been several schedule conflicts.

So, while it would be great if Mr. Adler's willing to participate, it's too early to tell at this point. Everyone is of course welcome to independently send him tweets politely saying he's invited to participate :lol:
6 x

NeeKnight
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Great Britain

Postby NeeKnight » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 pm

I have to confess, I am so please it is you going rather than me MoDaD... As I think like many, I would just be too busy fanboying/fangirling to do the check up. RazEmbarrassed What I will recommend is something often over looked but can be the downfall to many. I respect you enough to know what I am about to say but just so it is said:

§ Triple check your set up and equipment. Don't want to recording to be in full swing only to notice the camera lead wasn't plugged in. RazAfraid
    § Rehearse your arrangement and the questions. Dunno how freeflowing you want it but good to have you plan clear in mind to cut down "erms 'n' errs" RazConfused
    § Do vocal warm ups before recording. RazLaugh
    § Have fun. RazSilly

Like I said, I know you likely knew that but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't say it.
As for questions and suggestions, I would like to know the following:
§ The Original format of the show was mostly self contained episodes. While there are events that have a chronological order to them, most where stand alone and could be viewed in any order. With Revolution, will there be more in the way of continuity in the form of story archs or will it stick to the original format?
§ Something that has always bugged me... We know where they get all their parts, but where do the SWAT Kats get their jet fuel?! TurboKatBounce
§ The landscape has changed in making shows since the original left the airways. Before you had to wait months before any fan feed back would even come close to getting heard but now the internet allows all voices to be heard all at the same time. The question is how do you work with that for the betterment of the show going forward? Has it changed how they work in general? How much do they explore fan works if at all?
§ Will they hire me or use my ideas in the show? RazSilly I got this great set up for MadKat and then there is Mr Taffy oh and GearHead and TboneLaughCait
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 am

NeeKnight wrote:Like I said, I know you likely knew that but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't say it.

That's fine - it never hurts to double check. Like Houston last year, I have redundant things I'll be using. I always toss one or two audio recorders on the table in the event of microphone failure, and my current setup I have lined up is two dedicated HD camcorders, and two DSLRs running video (with a third I'll use for stills). The purpose of the multiple cameras is to give multiple focus depending on who's talking, but in an emergency they also act as redundancies in case there's a failure (they also all independently record audio as well, though not optimally).

I'll be starting the process of cutting together some clips to use as lead-ins to conversations/questions, all based around the ideas everyone's put together in this thread along with a few of my own.

I'll need to do an equipment test in the week(s) leading up for the stream, as that's the only thing that's new to me. Currently exploring using an iPhone app to take advantage of the YouTube channel live event option (and using a cold shoe adapter to put it on top of one of the DSLRs), but not sure if wi-fi will be available, and not sure if it'll work on celluar/data. I'm supposed to have internet access, but I'll probably need to bring along one of my 100 foot (30 meter) Ethernet cables and just do everything off my laptop, which I'll be using on the audio/video system there anyway. I need to dig one of my Chromecast HDMI receivers out, as that will make my job easier on-site.

As for equipment, ordered my TASCAM DR-40 to take advantage of the place's XLR audio mixer, which saves me the trouble (and money) of doing a mutli-mic setup on my own (but I'll bring one along anyway, just in case). I've found a lot of good deals for refurbished equipment on Amazon and B&H lately.

To give some insight, here's a diagram I made that I've shared with the theater/lecture hall technician, and in my back-and-forth all of this is doable. I have to warn you, this all makes it seem more grandiose than it will be - I expect this to be a very low key, low budget, fairly amateur level thing - probably at best on-par with a public access program. Will no doubt be spending a lot of time in editing to make it presentable.

setup-and-questions.png

I have three general objectives:

1. Interview - this is the most broad and general, based on everyone's input and will have video clip lead-ins to assist the potential for entertainment or insight.

2. Episode commentary - Hoping to have most if not all of Lance's episodes get DVD style commentary by those in attendance.

3. Live stream - still narrowing this down - I'm organizing a giveaway, but I don't want to reveal too much about that until the week prior, just in case that falls through, as I'm still trying to pin down a few things for that. I'll know for sure by the 23rd of March (late notice, I know).

4. Tweeting - I know I said three, but there will also be live tweets with photos and maybe videos if the upload is working on-location throughout the day.

And, after looking at that diagram, you may be thinking to yourself, "if he's behind the cameras, who's going to be doing stuff in front of the cameras to provide interaction?" Well, I had that thought myself within five minutes of getting the confirmation from the Tremblays a few weeks ago, so I enlisted the help of someone. I guess I can leave that a surprise.

Dunno how freeflowing you want it but good to have you plan clear in mind to cut down "erms 'n' errs"

Yeah, that's where the editing will (once again) come into play :lol:
3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:51 pm

After some back-and-forth, Charlie Adler won't be able to make it this time, but that's okay. I think this'll allow for us to concentrate on our original goals.

I also think that having a live broadcast is looking less likely, BUT, I'll still get live tweets with photos/videos. If that changes I'll alert everyone via Twitter.

Ordered a backdrop which should make everything more official looking:

backdrop-preview.jpg

Generic enough so it can be used for future purposes.

Finalizing equipment this week - here's a recent test:

And, as a reminder, I won't be seen or recorded much (and possibly not at all) as you will have more interesting, enthusiastic and less mumble-prone people on-camera :lol:

I also just noticed the Nikon was at 30fps and the Canon's were at 60fps - I kind of like the more cinematic feel of 30fps but I'll have to compare them later, or maybe preserve the difference - we'll see.
3 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:25 pm

MoDaD wrote:And, as a reminder, I won't be seen or recorded much (and possibly not at all) as you will have more interesting, enthusiastic and less mumble-prone people on-camera :lol:

Aww... C'mon, we would love to see you too! RazorLoveCait Jokes aside, seing the happy faces of fans while interviewing their beloved celebrities or just enjoying their company is also something that increase the value of these videos for other fans RazorHappyCait (and even if that can be seen less profesional, is also something that from my point of view gives more live to the video).
Do as you feel, but don't forget to enjoy the moment TboneSmile

Anyway, ontopic. I must say that for a test, the image is very clear. The audio is also very nice and clean. Manx Approves. ManxSmile

PD: Now that you mention it... I need a haircut too TboneLaughCait
1 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:05 pm

After working out some details, there will probably be a live event portion. I'm giving everyone here a head start on this as an excuse to test to make sure it's working before I tweet it/share it:

https://swatkats.info/about/event

And, even though this is primarily a test, I'll make sure to still include them in the drawing.

Had a lot of success with YouTube streaming in my office, but I'm uncertain if the stream will go through or not on location. I'll still be shooting redundant multi-camera at the same time, so everything will still be caught on camera regardless, it just might not be live in the event of connectivity issues. I can't get a solid answer on Wi-Fi, and streaming via cell/data isn't reliable.
2 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:11 am

Cool! Done! RazHappy

Just one thing. Filling the drawing and them seeing it online will give some 2 chances of being selected in the drawing. Depending of the method used for the drawing, it will be not fair since someone could win 2 times. (Other thing is that I'm misunderstanding "online" with the youtube viewers and they doesn't count... TboneLaughCait )
0 x

Return to “Kats Eye News”