Talking about Swat Kats in a convention

Any fandom news about the SWAT Kats, Kats Eye News wants to know!
SVMON94
Resident
Flag: Finland

Talking about Swat Kats in a convention

Postby SVMON94 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Since the deadline for me is in like 2 months i tought now is the appopriate time to put up a thread. I will try to explain this as detailed as possible so you understand what i'm doing here. THE THING ITSELF:The idea is that i'm doing a presentation about swat kats from my personal viewpoint to an convention audience who probably haven't seen/don't know much about the show. I have about 45-60 minutes in my programme slot. I will do this in FInnish (sadly) because there is no actual demand for English programme in the con (Or atleast this is what the staff told me) What i've got planned is something along these lines:
-Beginning speech of some sort
-Providing the basic information like who made the show etc (Keeping this section short as possible)
-Explaining the premise and the backstory of the show
-The section where i will discuss the characters. With the villains i decided to talk about every villain who has more than one episode,with the exeption of Turmoil. Some side characters will be mentioned quickly. Main point is going over who the important characters are and what they do
-Explain the Turbokat itself and some of it's features,after all the jet is an importan part of the show.
-Showing a video clip compilation. Around 5 minutes because i'm limited to less than an hour. Will take suggestions about what clips to include.
-Little section about the in-show universe (In asking questions format,example how does this thing work etc)
-Explaining the show's tone and themes. Maybe compare to other stuff that aired from the same tv channel as swat kats. Something about how it was kinda ahead it's time
-MAYBE something about the kickstarter sequel but not much because i believe there's not much to discuss and i think the tremblays and lance have said everything important for the time being. RazorHappyCait Maybe something like "What could a reboot of this show could bring to the table"
-Merchandise section. Will go over the action figures and the SNES game. I'm going to need a photo of the razor and t-bone figures from somewhere.
-Something about the fanbase,will probably just describe very shortly like "The fandom nowadays has varying levels of activity"
-Quick ending speech/thank you section and whatnot.

THE CONVENTION AND WHEN IT WILL TAKE PLACE:Convention is called Popcult Helsinki. It's a general pop culture convention. Also has cosplay. (Will go as Callie myself) it will take place in Marina Congress Center in Helsinki at 6.–7.5.2017 It's entirely hobby based. (So not like some business based american cons) The program hosts such as myself are all voluntary people talking about things they are intrested in. In finnish cons if you host a program you get free entrance to the con usually.

I will try to get a friend to record this entire thing if possible. If i can get a recording,i will attempt to translate it to english. RazEmbarrassed The presentation name translated is Swat kats-amazing fighter pilots BUT the word amazing is a cat pun in finnish. Will use openoffice.org impress for the slideshow and sony vegas for video editing.

EVERYTHING ELSE:Any comments on what i should talk about or any tips are appriciated! (If needed i have a discord and a skype)
I hope i detailed this well enough.
5 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Re: Talking about Swat Kats in a convention

Postby Cait » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:43 am

Seems good! SinianThisCait

For the video compilation, you could use that original series intro video (ask Jacob1290, maybe he allows you to use his awesome remastered version RazHappy ) and after that, you could continue with some random action clips, gags or panoramas. I'm sure those will attract the attention of many. If there are problems with the english dub, you could add finish subtitles to the video too.

Also, I'm agree with you about showing info about the kickstarter and Revolution. Maybe it's good to tell them it's there and let them search all the info so the panel doesn't look like an advertisment about the new season.

Also, why not tell them about swatkats.info or even megakatcity.com? If MoDaD agrees, of course.

SVMON94 wrote:-Merchandise section. Will go over the action figures and the SNES game. I'm going to need a photo of the razor and t-bone figures from somewhere.

There you got!
Also, Viper and Dark Kat here
1 x

SVMON94
Resident

Postby SVMON94 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:30 am

Showing english clips isn't a problem. I mentioned it because i will host this in Finnish. Since they didn't let me do it in english. Would have been convinient for showing the thing online (Once again if i can get this thing recorded)
Last edited by SVMON94 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:47 pm

These topics sound good to me as well.

I only have some general tips that come into my mind with some of them may being truisms or arguable:
  • Only put as much content into your speech such that you can still talk in a normal speed and are not overwhelming your audience with too much information.
  • Reserve some time for questions and answers.
  • The 45-60 minutes can be over quite fast when you're actually talking, so think about what are the really important items for each topic and do one or more test runs upfront if you're not used to do such a talk in order to get a feeling for it.
  • Try to put the most important topics into the first half since some people in the audience can concentrate for just a very limited amount of time.
  • Try to keep the speech interesting the whole time nonetheless.
  • When being nervous imagine the audience to be naked (that's probably one of the most stupid advise you can get TboneLaughCait).

Concerning merchandise, there is also a page in the Kickstarter-Book displaying most of the stuff which had been produced back then.
Maybe you'd also like to check out the SK panel at the Anime Matsuri Convention to get some further background information from it. There are more videos uploaded to the swatkats.info channel and also interviews linked from other channels which might also contain some interesting information for you. Betaruga's video containing her summary of the show might also be helpful to watch.
As Cait already suggested I would also mention swatkats.info in your speech as in my opinion this is a good place for people to start to get more information and further links.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:56 am

You could discuss The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice's long-absent title card and the cut (then restored) scene from The Giant Bacteria, as well as what we know of the unfinished episodes, especially Succubus!

Regarding The Giant Bacteria's missing and then restored scene, I did a video about it (which I wish I still had on my computer, as I'd love for it to go up on the Encyclopedia):

https://youtu.be/Z1p7OEklwOE

Assuming, of course, any of that stuff is interesting to non-fans. :lol:
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:19 am

Kooshmeister wrote:Regarding The Giant Bacteria's missing and then restored scene, I did a video about it (which I wish I still had on my computer, as I'd love for it to go up on the Encyclopedia):

But it's still possible to do that even without having the original file on your computer. HardDriveIcon
I've uploaded both of your videos ("Bacteria Monster Eats a Cow and Farmer" and "The Farmer: An Examination of a Deleted Scene") to the encyclopedia's media library. From there you can integrate them into an article if you like.

@SVMON94: I hope it's okay that we've got a bit off-topic here for a moment. Sorry about that. ;)
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:26 am

Mr. Goodkat wrote:I've uploaded both of your videos ("Bacteria Monster Eats a Cow and Farmer" and "The Farmer: An Examination of a Deleted Scene") to the encyclopedia's media library. From there you can integrate them into an article if you like.

Don't forget "Madkat Eats Razor." https://youtu.be/KHxTTFF23K0

I mean, assuming it's worth uploading. :lol:

Madkat wrote:Mmm, taaaaaaaaaaaasty.

RazorAnnoyedCait
0 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:59 am

Kooshmeister wrote:Don't forget "Madkat Eats Razor." https://youtu.be/KHxTTFF23K0

Done.
Kooshmeister wrote:I mean, assuming it's worth uploading. :lol:

I guess that depends on how you gonna integrate it into the encyclopedia.
1 x

SVMON94
Resident

Postby SVMON94 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:05 am

Kooshmeister wrote:You could discuss The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice's long-absent title card and the cut (then restored) scene from The Giant Bacteria, as well as what we know of the unfinished episodes, especially Succubus!

Regarding The Giant Bacteria's missing and then restored scene, I did a video about it (which I wish I still had on my computer, as I'd love for it to go up on the Encyclopedia):

Assuming, of course, any of that stuff is interesting to non-fans. :lol:

Actually talking about the succubus episode was one of the first things i decided i want to do. I think it's a very intresting script. Gotta see at wich point would be appopriate for mentioning it. Maybe after introdoucing the character cast and story?
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Mr. Goodkat wrote:I guess that depends on how you gonna integrate it into the encyclopedia.

I guess both it and the bacteria monster eating the cow and farmer clip would go under their respective episodes.

SVMON94 wrote:Actually talking about the succubus episode was one of the first things i decided i want to do. I think it's a very intresting script. Gotta see at wich point would be appopriate for mentioning it. Maybe after introdoucing the character cast and story?

Sure, sounds good. RazorHappyCait
0 x

Return to “Kats Eye News”