What if the SWAT Kats...

This is a place for OOC hypothetical discussions on the show.
TazKat
Long-Term Resident

What if the SWAT Kats...

Postby TazKat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:25 pm

...stopped being friends?

Aside from one of them turning to evil (that's too easy), what personal jab or betrayal would it would take to put their friendship on the breaking point?
0 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Artsite
My Blog
Art Commission Info

MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

Re: What if the SWAT Kats...

Postby MoDaD » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:41 pm

We explored this idea once in the MBI, where T-Bone and Razor broke-up in spectacular fashion on live television (in front of Ann Gora during a Kats-Eye News live segment) during the course of stopping some misc. villains from doing something (who as a result also got away). Jake had grown tired of seeing his life wasted / ruined, being stuck at the salvage yard, long hours, never getting appreciated, citing having only joined the Enforcers to get into an engineering college after he served his time on the force (which he'd said was ruined by Chance's outburst with Feral), and also being denied the opportunity to see the world. Basically, he said he had "burned out" and needed to escape.

It was pretty abrupt and surprising for Chance (and all of Megakat City, particularly the villains who were galvanized by this)- but, long story short, it was ultimately the result of a plot by Dark Kat making use of an experimental mind controlling device (which was still in early development, and hadn't reached its full potential yet) which could enhance underlying sentiments and emotions, removing their inhibition. So, what it really turned out being was that Jake's underlying feelings were heavily exaggerated, but they did exist.
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:13 am

If I understand correctly, what you describe is Jake being forced/manipulated into finally caving under the oppressive station in life he's been shoehorned into. However, in this case, he did not initiate this reaction, thus removing a good portion of responsibility from him. "The devil made me do it" as the saying goes. Where's his agency in the matter?

My challenge is what would cause a breaking point without any help from some kind of external scheme or device? Us humans in RL don't need any help from a special device to have long-established relationships go kaput. We choose on our own how we react.

What kind of decisions, actions, words would make Jake and Chance PERSONALLY have it out for each other? As in "YOU... I REALLY don't like you, keep pushing me."

Like say, small, unaddressed disagreements piling into bigger ones? How money is spent? Too many TVs broken? And oh God forbid, a woman coming between them? Any moment of betrayal or weakness of character, cover-ups and lies? We got a small example of Chance hiding his inability to swim which can be a HUGE liability in a mission. His desire to hide weakness and insecurity becauuuuse... that ONE episode introduced that element then quickly wrapped it up super neat and magical which bugs me.

I'm into this because a trial by fire tests to see what a friendship is really made of. What is the glue holding them together ?
0 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Artsite
My Blog
Art Commission Info

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:03 pm

Well, within those parameters, it's tough to think of a legitimate way that these two would be at odds with one another. They're pretty good friends:

Though...

..there was THAT :lol:
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:37 pm

I truly hope that if they guys break up, it isn't over a she-kat.

Not only is it very cliche but it usually renders the guy who doesn't get the girl to being a third wheel. Do not want, and I say this as someone who writes SK romance fics. And please let it not be over Callie.

Now, this doesn't mean a she-kat can't be part of a breakup, just not the sole reason. In one of my fics Jake and Chance's relationship deteriorates not just because Chance found a girlfriend, but because he wanted to catch up on some life he missed as SK when MKC hadn't been attacked by villains for a long time. Jake wanted to maintain the routines of being a SK despite the lull, like developing new tech and keeping the Turbokat ready for everything. So they get into a tiff.

And to his credit Jake wasn't all that mad that Chance found himself a girlfriend. He was more annoyed that Chance didn't bother asking if his girl had a friend :lol:
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:32 am

I remember seeing a comic by thelastmemory, a member on this forum, about T-Bone and Razor fighting eachother. I can't remember what they were fighting about, if anything. It was an interesting comic, and it made me think of their tolerance levels towards eachother. I mean, in the show, we've seen them tease eachother (such as T-Bone insulting Razor's aim in The Giant Bacteria), though that seems more on the friendly side. It's an interesting topic, to say the least.
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:52 am

MoDaD wrote:
Though...

..there was THAT :lol:

ROFL! He's all GRRRRRRR... (awesome gifs btw, love that bro handshake)

But I wonder though, if Jake is normally shy around the ladies, how come he went all Brave Heart with his "My Queen" and stuff? Did he just feel THAT comfortable in the Middles Ages?

AkaneKitty wrote:I truly hope that if they guys break up, it isn't over a she-kat.

Not only is it very cliche but it usually renders the guy who doesn't get the girl to being a third wheel. Do not want, and I say this as someone who writes SK romance fics. And please let it not be over Callie.

Now, this doesn't mean a she-kat can't be part of a breakup, just not the sole reason. In one of my fics Jake and Chance's relationship deteriorates not just because Chance found a girlfriend, but because he wanted to catch up on some life he missed as SK when MKC hadn't been attacked by villains for a long time. Jake wanted to maintain the routines of being a SK despite the lull, like developing new tech and keeping the Turbokat ready for everything. So they get into a tiff.

I like these points. Sure, I like me some romance but GAG me if it's the typical cliche described. It gets kind of insipid. I also don't like a totally romance-based plot. I like when it's just ONE of the many elements woven into a tapestry of narrative. (Now where is this fic located?)

And them "breaking up." What's funny is that I've heard men say that having to part ways with a really good wingman gives them similar withdrawal symptoms to breaking up with a lady, complete with all the emotional roller coasters (and possible ice cream binges) XD I kid you not, I've had such a friend withdrawal before and I couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with me.

AkaneKitty wrote:...Jake wasn't all that mad that Chance found himself a girlfriend. He was more annoyed that Chance didn't bother asking if his girl had a friend :lol:

Share the wealth, man! :x

razorREO wrote: I'm thinking that while they do have a really great bond, I also know that even the best friendships can fall apart. But the stronger they are, the better the chance of them healing. Of course it isn't always that way. But…You know. It's something to think about.

That would make the friendship all the more valuable because it stood the test like a diamond under pressure. I actually find myself wondering about my friendships in real life. Would we survive a REAL fight with each other? Not that I'm looking for a fight but I do brace myself for the possibility and try to keep focused on what's really important.

At the end of the day, even beyond any romance, my favorite connection in the whole show is T-Bone and Razor. They're just like a good model of what a healthy friendship should look like (peppered with a healthy dose of competition because "iron sharpens iron").

Random silly thought...

What if the Tremblays decided to troll all the ships and have Chance>Callie>Jake>Felina>Chance (what do you even call that? A love... merry-go-round?) only to have NONE of them end up together? Frankly I would laugh SO. HARD.
0 x

My Artsite
My Blog
Art Commission Info

Darker
Resident
Flag: Spain

Postby Darker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:55 pm

TazKat wrote:...stopped being friends?

Aside from one of them turning to evil (that's too easy), what personal jab or betrayal would it would take to put their friendship on the breaking point?

That sounds like a very plausible series two-parter finale. First part, Dark Kat makes them enemies, Second part, they become allies again and kick Dark Kat's tail.
1 x
It feels so good to be bad!
Click above & enjoy

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:16 pm

Darker wrote:
TazKat wrote:...stopped being friends?

That sounds like a very plausible series two-parter finale. First part, Dark Kat makes them enemies, Second part, they become allies again and kick Dark Kat's tail.

I hear that :) My thing is though, what would prompt a breakup without the help of any external force manipulating them? Like having them simply develop and react on their own in that direction.
0 x

My Artsite
My Blog
Art Commission Info

Return to “What If?”