What if Chance and Jake aren't the SWAT Kats anymore?

This is a place for OOC hypothetical discussions on the show.

Do you think the fans would accept that Chance and Jake don't act as T-Bone and Razor anymore?

Yes, I'm excited about this different approach!
50%
Maybe, I'm a little hesitant. I'll have to see it first.
30%
No! This news shatters my whole world.
20%

Total votes: 10

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

What if Chance and Jake aren't the SWAT Kats anymore?

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:34 am

Alright, time for some wild speculations...
This is a thought that I've had in my mind since I saw Barry Gordon's video message on Kickstarter which now got even more fueled by the Kickstarter Update No. 32.

Assuming that some years have passed between The Radical Squadron and Revolution then Chance and Jake have aged, naturally (like their voice actors did).
So, what if they've found two guys having a similar physical appearance, trained them to take over their alter egos T-Bone and Razor and now act as mentors from the background.

I don't think the voice actors of The Radical Squadron who are still with us can really hide their age (although it's technically possible to make a voice sound younger).
So this scenario might make sense if Charlie Adler and Barry Gordon are going to participate in the new series.

But what exactly fueled my thought?
Well, let's take a look at the second paragraph shown in the image of the update:
Where are THE SWAT KATS? They used to be state of the art, but now the TURBOKAT is falling apart [...]
T-BONE is a great pilot and RAZOR a fantastic(?) [...]
watch helplessly as time and [...]
back to the hangar [...]

As the Turbokat is falling apart this sounds like that quite some time has passed and the SWAT Kats have either retired or have been kept from flying for some reason.

Now let's take a look at the first paragraph:
Chance wants to know how he got into the hangar [...]
"Bypassed it. Strictly old school," he explains, [...]
who we learn is a no rules troublemaker, who trained(?) [...]
about computers at MEGAKAT REFORM SCHOOL and he
doesn't like the Enforcers, or what's happened to
Megakat City.

This sounds like a description for a new character to me who broke into the SWAT Kats hangar and confronts Chance or is confronted by him. The guy seems to have advanced technological knowledge (bypassing locks, knows well about computers). Furthermore he is a no rules troublemaker who has been at the Megakat Reform School and has no respect of the Enforcers.
Sounds like a potential candidate for a new SWAT Kat to me.

Assuming that I'm right with this speculation, do you think the fans of The Radical Squadron would accept that Chance and Jake don't act as T-Bone and Razor anymore?
How would you feel about it?
Last edited by MoDaD on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added a poll.
3 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Re: What if Chance and Jake aren't the SWAT Kats anymore?

Postby Poecat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:00 pm

All what you said Mr. Goodkat... That's the feeling that I'm getting from this teaser, As well. And honestly I am ok with the introduction of a new character and .. "Gasp" .. Chance and Jake not being the main SKs anymore :3
2 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:43 pm

I think it would defeat the premise, honestly. SWAT Kats is their story. I don't think the Revolution is about outting Chance and Jake as the SWAT Kats, too old and feeble to take on the mantle anymore. It's their show, and we're seeing these redesign concepts of T-Bone and Razor as fit and young, and happenin' SWAT Kats. So what, they pull out all this promo material and when we get to see the series, they're like "JUST KIDDING, we're scrapping the original characters, they're old now. HERE'S THE NEW CAST"...? I doubt it ;)

Also, we've seen the Turbokat in ruins before, ain't anything new :) Also, hate to burst people's bubbles, but, while the VAs promoted and supported the kickstarter during the campaign... it's not like any of them have signed a contract that guarantees they'd reprise their voice acting roles. I think that was a leap made by fans.
2 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:32 pm

Mr. Goodkat wrote:How would you feel about it?

It's a useful narrative approach, and it's also a tact that countless fan fiction writers and even fan comic artists have taken. Batman Beyond (a.k.a. Batman of the Future for some outside the USA) was built around this kind of premise, and I've considered it a solid addition to the DC-Animated Universe of Bruce Timm's (and it's also one of my favorite shows - one of the last I can recall viewing that was still traditionally animated instead of computer colored). But, it's also pretty divisive among fans. Some people really don't like the new character lead of Batman (Terry McGinnis), often times expressing he's not worthy of the position from both an in-universe and fourth-wall perspective. While I can agree with that to a certain extent, I also acknowledge it's a part of the story and a character development point that's revisited and addressed, and ultimately (even though we had to wait until near the end of Justice League Unlimited to get the closing chapter of that story-line) resolved.

Let's look at one of the definitions of Revolution:

a sudden, complete or marked change in something

I think we should be ready to accept the fact that this is going to be different. From a narrative standpoint, a time jump is useful for acknowledging it's been over 20 years since the last episode, and the "passing of the torch" concept can help to introduce new characters to a new audience in a new time (useful for exposition purposes) while being true to and preserving the characters we know.

This is a recurring theme in a lot of pop culture as of late (movies and TV shows in particular). Some have done it exceptionally well, others so-so, and a few have kind of destroyed their own franchise.

There are already 400% more original people involved in this than I thought would ever have been possible, so it's already exceeded any expectations I had by light years.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed, because this type of narrative may allow for a female lead in a genre that could always benefit from more inclusiveness. But, maybe that's too much to hope for.
1 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:38 pm

Betaruga wrote:It's their show, and we're seeing these redesign concepts of T-Bone and Razor as fit and young, and happenin' SWAT Kats.

True, these are concepts of T-Bone and Razor, but that doesn't prove that the two guys you see there are actually Chance and Jake...
That's one of the benefits having an alter ego. It can be inherited. ;)

Betaruga wrote:Also, hate to burst people's bubbles, but, while the VAs promoted and supported the kickstarter during the campaign... it's not like any of them have signed a contract that guarantees they'd reprise their voice acting roles. I think that was a leap made by fans.

As this is a speculation, I've got no problem if others burst or try to burst my thought bubbles. ;)
Just to avoid misunderstandings: I didn't say that the old VA will definetely participate in the new show. I just wanted to say that this scenario might be a possibility in case that (some of) the old VA are going to participate in the new show. But this might also be a scenario if they don't.

These are some very interesting reactions and I'm a bit surprised about the votes so far. I'm curious if the opinion ratio is going to stay that way.
@MoDaD: Nice idea to add a poll to this thread.
1 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:09 pm

This is killing me! Jake and Chance being no more T-Bone and Razor? What is this, Nova Squadron!? (Sorry for the joke, Poecat xD)
Nah, I can't imagine that hap... *Suddenly remembers They That Walk in Darkness* Ok, I can!!! But anyway, we need more Jake and Chance action, right? RIGHT!?!? And as Betaruga said:
Betaruga wrote:It's their show, and we're seeing these redesign concepts of T-Bone and Razor as fit and young, and happenin' SWAT Kats. So what, they pull out all this promo material and when we get to see the series, they're like "JUST KIDDING, we're scrapping the original characters, they're old now. HERE'S THE NEW CAST"...? I doubt it ;)

Aside of that, some new characters or even a new cast won't be bad if they keep some old characters like Feral, Callie, Felina... and obviously Chance and Jake. If they have a good plot in the new series and have some action time to time, I'll be happy with it :3 (As well as crying in myself <T_T>).
3 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:27 pm

Cait wrote:This is killing me! Jake and Chance being no more T-Bone and Razor? What is this, Nova Squadron!? (Sorry for the joke, Poecat xD)

Haha! No problem ;3
3 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:23 pm

I think it would be kinda jumping the gun to pull the "pass the torch" storyline now, when we barely scratched the surface of Chance and Jake already.

LOL!! Mr. Goodkat, the SWAT Kats in the promo are obviously Chance and Jake in disguise... ;) This is just me, but for the life of me, I dont see why, from a marketing standpoint, they'd want to break in the series with some "new" SWAT Kats who otherwise look exactly like Chance and Jake... or why they've said in interviews that they're going to spend time fleshing out their personalities and back stories if the series isn't even about them anymore.
1 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:09 am

Betaruga wrote:LOL!! Mr. Goodkat, the SWAT Kats in the promo are obviously Chance and Jake in disguise... ;) This is just me, but for the life of me, I dont see why, from an marketing standpoint, they'd want to break in the series with some "new" SWAT Kats who otherwise look exactly like Chance and Jake...

When looking at this from the view of potential new fans (today's teenagers who are going to be main audience), would it really matter to them that the SWAT Kats are still Chance and Jake?
Most of them probably don't even know about SWAT Kats yet. So I don't think it would make much of a difference from an economic/marketing standpoint. From an economic/marketing standpoint we (the old fans) aren't that important as consumers for the show to be successful. It probably doesn't matter what changes will be made as long as it's okay for the main audience (although I'm sure that we and our opinions will be important to the Tremblay Brothers further on).
Betaruga wrote:or why they've said in interviews that they're going to spend time fleshing out their personalities and back stories if the series isn't even about them anymore.

I don't see this in contradiction with Christian Tremblay's remark about fleshing out their personalities. IIRC, he never talked about Chance and Jake in the interviews (at least he didn't mention their names, did he?). He always talked about the SWAT Kats, T-Bone and Razor.
So if they going to flesh out the SWAT Kats personalities, does it necessarily have to be the ones of Chance and Jake?
Besides, they still can flesh out Chance's and Jake's personalities even if they aren't acting as the SWAT Kats anymore.

Fortunately, this is just a What if-thread, a hypothetical discussion, nothing more and nothing less. So it's not like I'm saying: "This is going to happen!" or "I want to have it that way!".

As some of the questions I've formulated for the Anime Matsuri Convention concern this topic, I really hope that the person who is going to visit it will be so kind and has the chance to ask them. I'm very curious about the answers.
1 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Of course the Tremblays talk about Chance and Jake :-) check out their reddit ama sometime.

Good point about teenagers, and you're right, of course this is a purely hypothetical topic, but when framed as a "is this what will happen?" inquiry for the series continuation, along with a poll, the topic seems to invite more discussion or disagreement than if left as a more fanciful what-if, at least to me :-)
1 x

Return to “What If?”