What if cats and dogs shared the planet?

This is a place for OOC hypothetical discussions on the show.
Krillos
Resident
Flag: Sweden

What if cats and dogs shared the planet?

Postby Krillos » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:35 am

Hello, fellow SK-fans! I'm bringing to you a subject that I have been fascinated for a long while; What if the cats and dogs shared the planet?

The answer lies in the classical line spoken by Peter Venkman in the first Ghostbusters-movie: "Mass hysteria!"

But seriously, there is so much we do not know about the world of SWAT Kats. For all we know, the Kats might not be the only ones ruling the planet. What if there is another ruling species sharing the planet? And what if that race is the feline's eternal rival, the canine?

Now, I am aware that cats are pretty much the central species of the franchise and there are no evidence of another sentient species besides Kats, but after re-watching the series again and have done a little research, I can honestly say that there is a possibility to include a second race in the Swat Kats-world. I took notice that, besides a few tidbits of things we’ve learned here and there in the show, there is practically no lore behind the world of the Swat Kats. This fact leaves open to new possibilities.

I found three inquiries that could be developed further upon;
• What was the MegaWars about, more specifically the 1st one? Why did they start and how did they ended?
• What is the history of the Kat civilization?
• How many major continents does it exist on the planet?

With enough research and development upon these three, I’m certain it would create the very possibility we needed to include the dog race's existence into the show one way or the other.

I've shared these findings with Christian Tremblay in a rather lengthy letter. I want to keep this matter of things private between us but suffice to say, his response was positively satisfying.

I think it would be very interesting if dog characters were included in the show. It would show more variety in characters, challenge and relationship with the other. I'm always fascinated by the classic cat-dog relationship as seen in the past and this show could bring a new light to it if done right.

However, this is only a matter of personal opinion and even if the dogs were ultimately not featured in the new revival, I still love and respect Swat Kats as it is.

But it would be radically interesting nonetheless! What do you guys think?
0 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Re: What if cats and dogs shared the planet?

Postby Poecat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:56 pm

In my opinion, I would prefer that the whole SK world would stay to just all kats. There has been a lot of debate in the past about if there were other animal species in the SK planet. I don't know. To me... the dog and cat thing has been done.

The cartoon that I first thought of with Dogs in a city.... which had cats in the show at times, was Dog City.

But, this is a what if..... If there were dogs on this planet too. I could see that perhaps they live in another city. And they perhaps don't get along with the kats in Megakat City.
0 x

Krillos
Resident

Postby Krillos » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Poecat wrote:In my opinion, I would prefer that the whole SK world would stay to just all kats. There has been a lot of debate in the past about if there were other animal species in the SK planet. I don't know. To me... the dog and cat thing has been done.

The cartoon that I first thought of with Dogs in a city.... which had cats in the show at times, was Dog City.

But, this is a what if..... If there were dogs on this planet too. I could see that perhaps they live in another city. And they perhaps don't get along with the kats in Megakat City.

I agree that it is an often used concept in many shows and it has been done indeed but like I said before, it is a classic scenario. To be honest, having just one species and no other variety (unless you count the monsters of the week) can be little boring, don't you think? Of course, having the same thing is not a bad thing either, especially when you're a fan to the show. It would just be nice to see something new, you know?

I also share your insight regarding the uneasy relation between the dogs and the kats. In fact, I made a small speculation on a possible lore between the two races and the explanation for the dogs' absence in the show.

Since ancient times, the Kats and the Dögs (for the radical racial naming purposes, I've put an metal umlaut in the O) have always been at odds with the each other. Some ancient texts has even hinted that the former Kat kingdom Megalith City was felled during the invasion by the mighty viking Dögs, which caused both the monarchical lineage and the knowledge of magic become lost over time. When they reached the age of technology, the Kats and Dögs have yet to find a common ground with each other and it finally escalated to a great war. Thus began MegaWar 1, which is historically the longest and biggest war both races has ever had (more so than MegaWar 2, which was a war between the Kats themselves). It has been going on for decades until the leaders called it off, realizing that their continuous fighting lacks a noble cause and might lead a global ruination of their planet. With too much bad blood between them, the leaders decided to sign a treaty of isolation and globally isolate the nations of Kats and Dögs from each other, forbidding any contact of any kind till one of the many conditions in the treaty has been broken. Once the forbidden borders have been erected, they have ceased all contact and has not heard from each other since.
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:25 pm

I always thought it would have been great if SWAT Kats had taken place on a multi-species world a la Tale Spin or Zootopia, but it was not to be.
0 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Krillos wrote:I agree that it is an often used concept in many shows and it has been done indeed but like I said before, it is a classic scenario. To be honest, having just one species and no other variety (unless you count the monsters of the week) can be little boring, don't you think? Of course, having the same thing is not a bad thing either, especially when you're a fan to the show. It would just be nice to see something new, you know?

Naahh, Having one species shouldn’t be too boring. Maybe if there was more use of cheetahs, lions, lynx, etc ^_^ I’m kinda partial to cats though >_> LOL

Krillos wrote:I also share your insight regarding the uneasy relation between the dogs and the kats. In fact, I made a small speculation on a possible lore between the two races and the explanation for the dogs' absence in the show.

But ok, … the possible lore you got here. Sure! That could work and would show some interesting conflict if one species snuck across the others border.

You got my mind thinking on this what if there were Dögs and Kats on the planet. But what if there was another planet that was just Dögs . And there is this planet of just Kats. What if the Dögs needed a new planet to live on and thus traveled to the Kat world….. and wow, I think I just made it complicated. LOL. Scratch that XD
1 x

Krillos
Resident

Postby Krillos » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:48 pm

marklungo wrote:I always thought it would have been great if SWAT Kats had taken place on a multi-species world a la Tale Spin or Zootopia, but it was not to be.

Not unless the Tremblays has a surprise for us with the revival. Who knows, maybe it could still happen~ ;)
1 x

Krillos
Resident

Postby Krillos » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Poecat wrote:Naahh, Having one species shouldn’t be too boring. Maybe if there was more use of cheetahs, lions, lynx, etc ^_^ I’m kinda partial to cats though >_> LOL

Pff, I see. Well, that certainly explains it. LOL Though I get a doubtful feeling we will ever see big cat types in the show, I do hope we would get to see other ones with different spots variations or full jet black body color. Or heck, a sphynx cat.

Poecat wrote:But ok, … the possible lore you got here. Sure! That could work and would show some interesting conflict if one species snuck across the others border.

Yeah! I even thought up a small summary of a made-up episode based on what you just said!

"While testing out the capabilities of a new prototype engine for the Turbokat Mk 2, T-Bone and Razor underestimated its power which caused them to fly out of control in high velocity. By the time they managed to shutdown the engine, they flew to the other side of the planet, unintentionally fly past the forbidden borders and reached the center of the capital city of the Dögs (let's call it “OmniDög City”). Knowing that they might risk a violation to the treaty between the two races, the Swat Kats must do everything in their power to get back to the Kat civilization without causing an international incident. They must keep their feline identities hidden from the canine population at all costs, including the city’s own team of crime fighters and villains."
1 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Krillos wrote:Yeah! I even thought up a small summary of a made-up episode based on what you just said!

"While testing out the capabilities of a new prototype engine for the Turbokat Mk 2, T-Bone and Razor underestimated its power which caused them to fly out of control in high velocity. By the time they managed to shutdown the engine, they flew to the other side of the planet, unintentionally fly past the forbidden borders and reached the center of the capital city of the Dögs (let's call it “OmniDög City”). Knowing that they might risk a violation to the treaty between the two races, the Swat Kats must do everything in their power to get back to the Kat civilization without causing an international incident. They must keep their feline identities hidden from the canine population at all costs, including the city’s own team of crime fighters and villains."

That's a good summary and it caught my attention. Have you ever thought about writing it up in a fanfic? :3
1 x

Krillos
Resident

Postby Krillos » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Poecat wrote:That's a good summary and it caught my attention. Have you ever thought about writing it up in a fanfic? :3

Alas, no. I'm more of a dreamer than a writer. LOL But yeah, glad you like it.
0 x

Krillos
Resident

Postby Krillos » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Now is time to discuss a bit about the strengths and weaknesses between the two races.

Mirroring the dogs in real life, the Dögs ought to be physically stronger and tad bigger than the Kats. Their sense of smell is hundred times more sensitive than a Kat's, which they often use for identification on other people. However, the Kats have more agile bodies with great balance. They even possess a greater eyesight.

As for their level of technological advancement, I believe the Dögs are on par with the Kats'. Their military power, however, is a lot more disciplined and possess more bulkier designs of their vechiles and jets. I would also imagine they even possess flying aircraft carriers that houses a number of fighter jets (which I bet the Enforcers also has it too, now their advancement of technology have upped in the revival).
0 x

Return to “What If?”