What if there was a new SWAT Kats-videogame?

This is a place for OOC hypothetical discussions on the show.
Krillos
Resident
Flag: Sweden

What if there was a new SWAT Kats-videogame?

Postby Krillos » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:48 pm

If we look past the first game for SNES and hope one day the Tremblay Bros acquire a videogame license, what sort of genre would you want in a SWAT Kats-game?
1 x

BlackKnife12
Just Moved In
Flag: United States of America

Re: What if there was a new SWAT Kats-videogame?

Postby BlackKnife12 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:41 pm

I would imagine a game that would be a mix between Batman Arkham Knight,and Ace Horizon Assault.
Some of the missions could be in a style of third person,such as fighting a group of thugs or on a boss mission. While the fighter jet missions can be on an expanded map for a boss fight,similar to the earlier Star Fox games.
2 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:26 pm

I would love a RPG like Kingdom Hearts or even an online game with new missions every month or so (maybe like Warframe, which is like a shooter and a RPG mixed and has already missions in earth and air (space))! ᶘ *ᴥ*ᶅ
1 x

Krillos
Resident
Flag: Sweden

Postby Krillos » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:50 pm

I had always dreamt of a radical SK-game since I was young, only to have them somewhat dashed by the SNES-game's mediocry and clunky platforming. Now SK is back in the game again, a new hope for a better game arises.

I have three types of games in mind. I'll start with one I had thought up when I was a lot younger. Just imagine a hybrid game between a beat 'em up-game like TMNT: Turtles in Time

And a shoot 'em up-game like Gradius V and Radiant Silvergun.

Each of the two players gets to choose which of the two SWAT Kats they wish to control, T-Bone or Razor. There will also be secret characters to unlock, like Commander Feral and Felina, if certain requirements are fullfilled. Each playable character has his own strengths and weaknesses. Players guide the Kats through two unique series of levels, one through different locations of MegaKat City in a side-scrolling beat 'em up-format and the other is taken to the skies with the Turbokat in a shoot 'em up-format. Each level has a boss at the end that you need to beat in order to complete it. All characters would be smoothly animated in 2D.

The second type of game I thought of is more of an action platformer. Kinda like the SNES-one but done better. This one will be using the Megaman-formula.

You select a stage that has a boss at the end, you get new weapons and gadgets after beating them and you can exploit the other bosses' weaknesses with these new weaponry. But there will also be a few shoot 'em up levels besides the platforming ones. Gottah have some Turbokat-action as well. This one is also animated in 2D.

The third type of game is pretty much what BlackKnife12 has already mentioned.
BlackKnife12 wrote:I would imagine a game that would be a mix between Batman Arkham Knight,and Ace Horizon Assault.
Some of the missions could be in a style of third person,such as fighting a group of thugs or on a boss mission. While the fighter jet missions can be on an expanded map for a boss fight,similar to the earlier Star Fox games.

The only thing I could add to that is some RPG-elements like leveling up and such. Oh, unlike the other two I mentioned, this one will be fully and wonderfully cel-shaded that is much akin to the original show.
1 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:41 pm

BlackKnife12 wrote:I would imagine a game that would be a mix between Batman Arkham Knight,and Ace Horizon Assault.

When thinking about a SWAT Kats game I always have kind of a similar combination in mind: rocksteady's Batman Arkham games and Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. with the latter being a very action packed flight "simulator".

As I only have played Arkham Asylum so far which doesn't include any races IIRMC, I can't judge how compatible they would really be with SK. But from the gameplay footage I've seen I guess this should also work for SK. Also haven't played Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, but it looks kind of similar to H.A.W.X.

The combat system of Remember Me might also be an interesting reference for a SK game.

If the game wouldn't have its focus on the SWAT Kats themselves I could also think of an GTA-like game, but being less violent of course (see this What-If-thread for a few more details on that crazy thought).

But I assume SK Revolution would have to be really successful and very popular in numerous countries such that someone would be willing to invest the money necessary to develop such a Batman- or GTA-alike game that could compete with these games. ;)
2 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Oh God. No. Not like HAWX. Please God no. The control scheme was horrible.

They'd do better emulating the sort of arcade combat simulator offered by the Project Aces Team at Namco Bandai. Like in AC4, 5, and 6. Not like Assault Horizon which also...ugh.

Suffice it to say, while anything's better than the junky flight mechanics offered up in the SNES title (Seriously, why should I feel relieved to NOT be flying the Turbokat in a SWAT Kats game?), if you're going to go with a preference, Ace Combat has the better model for success.

No comment on the on-foot sections. I leave that to the more action-oriented gamers. Me, I stick with sidescrollers, RPGs, and the occasional platformer.
0 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:24 am

EricoBard wrote:Oh God. No. Not like HAWX. Please God no. The control scheme was horrible.

I think I should add that I played this game on a Windows-PC where you can change the control scheme for mouse/keyboard or gamepad the way you want (at least in the first game, never played H.A.W.X. 2). I don't know if this is also possible for the other platforms. So, if I wasn't satisfied with the control scheme back then when I played it, I just changed it and thus never really had that kind of problem.

Out of sheer curiosity, on which platform did you play it?
0 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:43 pm

xbox 360. And you couldn't change the control scheme there. Beyond that, the gameplay itself felt...unrefined. Dealing with missile lock-on (One beep only? Seriously?), taking down enemy planes, how crashing let you start from perfect health and a full missile reload...

Here, I'll let you watch some Ace Combat 6 for the 360, and you can decide which offers the better gameplay experience.

https://youtu.be/H8rseyOoCcg

Off hand, imagine in a SWAT Kats videogame a scene similar to "Cry Turmoil", only with the SWAT Kats flying the Turbokat allied with the Enforcers in a desperate gamble to flatten the vertigo beam and drop the airship like a sack of potatoes.
0 x

Cannon Dancer
Just Moved In
Flag: Bulgaria

Postby Cannon Dancer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:21 pm

HardDriveIcon HardDriveIcon HardDriveIcon
I think the coming soon under the sun have to be an arcade gun.
Arcade genres were popular when the show began, that is why. The first game is like that also.
If one likes much videogames and has been grown enough in the 90s, still could care about the motorcycle with Razor and T-Bone (look carefully) in 1990 Rally Bike (NES) and the flying machine in 1991 Raiden Trad (Mega Drive II). The graphics are cool enough if one is already used to them. Raiden Trad instead of Raiden, because the original is extremely difficult - in the 90s half of the 1,300,000 city (whoaa, the first season equals 13) could not beat the second boss ("Ruby Heart"), thus came a guy with specific abilities. Like the Tremblays to draw. He also completed a game which took me 20 years, I could not draw a single.
Club Camel (Sahara), 15-20 coin eaters. More cool the so called weak version. More fun to play the flying machine.
turbokatfire turbokatfire turbokatfire
The 1995 official soft represents the genre most people are most capable to bite into. Videogames quickly become impossible for the general population. I needed more than SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron (1995, SNES) and founded the two overmentioned titles - underground soft. DarkKatIcon The SNES reminded me of Desert Demolition (MD2), fun for a while - get bored. How one could suit Fang in Contra - The Hard Corps (MD2) to T-Bone, so Razor also? Only a maniac, for sake do not count. Contra - The Hard Corps contains Dr. Viper, Hard Drive, etc.
Kinda like the SNES-one but done better.
Get bored, found two titles - further long to advanced. The fact that already there was a game drived me.
You select a stage that has a boss at the end, you get new weapons and gadgets after beating them and you can exploit the other bosses' weaknesses with these new weaponry
Similar done in Contra - The Hard Corps.
In nowadays millenia 2D is not popular. Too close will be 2.5D beat 'em up-gameplay. There are sales there, not experts. As an expert I think it is already done at NES and MD2, too close and advanced - maybe not lazy enough. 200% will have a look,
whatever!
But if I ever hear of that. When not enough, it is for sure!
HardDriveIcon turbokatfire HardDriveIcon turbokatfire HardDriveIcon
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:58 pm

How about something using virtual reality? That technology is coming along.

"Check it out, I've got these big paws now!"
"Stop worrying about that and worry about these creeplings!"
1 x

Return to “What If?”