SWAT Kats Action Figures

This is a place for OOC hypothetical discussions on the show.
Cody Furlong
Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: SWAT Kats Action Figures

Postby Cody Furlong » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:57 pm

I'd like to see high quality ones, with switchable parts. Different heads with different expressions on them, and different clothing options and such.
2 x
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:51 pm

First, let me vent a little. SWAT Kats was a show that deserved an extensive, first-class toy line. However, the Remco figures we actually got are, let's just say, problematic. The sculpts... well, I've seen worse. They're bulky and graceless, but just barely passable if you're not familiar with the cartoon. However, if you are, you'll soon realize that they're off model. Why do burly T-Bone and wiry Razor have the same body build? Whose idea was it to make Dark Kat a cyborg when the series never even hinted at it? Where's Dr. Viper's lab coat? Why are the accessories so minimal? Why don't the packages have those cool file cards that lines like G.I. Joe and TMNT had? Maybe it's just as well that Remco, a small company that was on its last legs by the time it got the SWAT Kats license, never made the rest of the line. (Seriously, the unreleased Metallikats prototypes look even worse.)

Anyway, I'd love to see improved SWAT Kats figures. If Revolution gets made and takes off, that'll make the process easier (yet another reason to hope it succeeds). However, it could be done even without the new show, with the toys marketed toward adult fans and collectors instead of kids, probably as internet exclusives. The biggest problem would be: is the fan base big enough to make the line profitable? We SWAT Kats fans are a devoted lot, but there aren't nearly as many of us as there are fans of He-Man or G.I. Joe, both of which have survived by taking the internet route. (Of course, these properties have two advantages over SWAT Kats: they have significant name recognition, and they're owned by the two biggest toy companies on the planet, which have a vested interest in keeping them alive.) The fact that a new toy line has been announced for Bucky O'Hare, another furry franchise with a cult following, is very encouraging; let's hope it does well.
Last edited by marklungo on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Swatkatfan21
Resident

Postby Swatkatfan21 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:05 am

Krillos wrote:Oh, I'm all up for that! And I agree, some older toys looks a bit odd. Especially with Dark Kat, that one looks nothing like the original. lol
When I was younger, I hoped they would make a toy version of Viper-zilla from the episode Mutation City. But alas, that was never meant to be.

I certainly hope the Tremblays would also make some awesome statuettes of the SK-characters. Especially any sexy ones like these ones of Callie here, made by Celso Ryuji:

...Dayum, I would pay top dollars for these.

Put me down for one of these! I would give my left arm for a series of this quality of statues. Not sure which I would want more powered up Hard Drive or action pose Razor.

I'm sure we can all agree that the action figures released back in the day should have never seen the light of day.
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:00 am

I'd prefer one like that with Felina. Callie doesn't do much for me. TboneLaughCait
3 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Kanogetz
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Republic of Serbia

Postby Kanogetz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:20 am

LOL I like the original SK 90's figs, even thought they are far from accurate. But they tried, love super buffed Razor with random claw marks and cloth tears. xD

If we get a new line of SK action figures, of course they should try to keep the toys accurate to the show as much as possible and it would be awesome to have them poseable with additional hands, heads and weapon accessories. Gimmicks like spring loaded missiles, wind-up functions, flexible parts are a must! xD
Thundercats 2011 figures come into mind, I have recently bought myself a 6" Lion-O figure and I was surprised! Lots of points of articulation, you can place him in any pose you want and it looks awesome. It would be nice to get something similar to that. RazorHappyCait
0 x
slothful artist / dynamic gamer / mechanized bum.
http://kanogetz.deviantart.com/
http://stungunwolf.tumblr.com/

SVMON94
Resident
Flag: Finland

Postby SVMON94 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:14 am

Spring loaded missiles are the best action figure gimmick ever. I imagine if a turbokat toy was released in the 90's it would have a big text in the packaging that would say something like "TUBULAR MISSILE LAUNCHING ACTION" I would be fine with both action figures and statuettes. Specially a Callie figure. Vehicle toys would be neat too like a turbokat toy big enough to fit the figures inside the cockpit. and of course equipped with the previously mentioned spring loaded missiles. and maybe a deployable cyclotron. Also,Were there any actual toy/game TV commercials for swat kats back when the show was airing or just show promos?
2 x
I ship felina x callie with a burning passion.

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Since 3D printing is advancing, I would suggest making 3D printable ones. This would allow for more customization, as well as keep the franchise in line with the times (there is a heavy sci-fi element in the show, after all). :)
4 x

Return to “What If?”