LGBT characters in Swat Kats

This is a place for OOC hypothetical discussions on the show.
WooldoorSockbat
Just Moved In
Flag: United States of America

LGBT characters in Swat Kats

Postby WooldoorSockbat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:43 am

Guys,

how would you feel about the idea of starting a petition to include LGBT characters and representation into the new show? Wouldn't that be amazing? :) I don't know about you, but I always kind of pictured Jake as more bi than straight and the chemistry he has with Chance is apparent. How would you feel if their bromance gradualy turned into something more?
2 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Re: LGBT characters in Swat Kats

Postby MoDaD » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:37 pm

I never really saw it, personally. Both characters always had that "brothers" motif, one that Lance Falk really emphasized at the Houston convention, along with a lot of well established female interests from both. That's always how I've viewed them canonoically, but everyone is of course welcome to their own interpretations. If that avenue was explored it could have a large impact on the show dynamic, one I'm not sure the creators would be able to factor in - but who knows. You could always ask them what they think. If new characters are going to be introduced then there's potential, but regarding already established characters this seems like a bit of a long shot, particularly if they weren't already explicitly identified as such.

Also, welcome to the forums :)
8 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:40 pm

If they're anything, they're bisexual, considering they're both clearly interested in Callie, heh.

Gay characters would be fine by me, but a problem is it'd raise hackles with many people who can't see homosexuality in anything but purely sexual terms.
4 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Jacob1290
Raccoon with a pen

Postby Jacob1290 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:30 pm

WooldoorSockbat wrote:Guys,

how would you feel about the idea of starting a petition to include LGBT characters and representation into the new show? Wouldn't that be amazing? :) I don't know about you, but I always kind of pictured Jake as more bi than straight and the chemistry he has with Chance is apparent. How would you feel if their bromance gradualy turned into something more?

There's a LGBT character in my SWAT Kats Web Comic *cough cough* ....shameless promotion....
0 x
If there's a will, There's a way. #LoveWins
I got myself a medal of honor just by sitting in the dark drawing
Website HERE >> http://swatkats.net/ <<
ImageImage

Jacob1290
Raccoon with a pen

Postby Jacob1290 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Oh and welcome to megakatcity!
0 x
ImageImage

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:10 pm

If you want to start a petition, by all means go ahead. There are lots of places online for making them. Or maybe as MoDaD suggested ask them about it. Never know, the Tremblay Bros. and/or writers might include a new character that is either lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender in the continuing series.

MoDaD's said pretty much what I think on the matter of Jake 'n Chance as more than friends. ^_^

Kooshmeister wrote:Gay characters would be fine by me, but a problem is it'd raise hackles with many people who can't see homosexuality in anything but purely sexual terms.

Ah that's a trend that American television is slowly being more open to the idea with animated series geared for kids like Shezow (an Australian animated toon aired in US on the Hub) and Steven Universe. Shezow is about a boy who inherits his aunt's ring that gives him superpowers, but as it was meant for only girls to wear, his appearance has his looking like a girl as Shezow. Steven Universe has two female characters who are very much in love with one another and have been affectionate, as well as another female character who was in love with another female. Granted it's been said that the Gems were to be genderless but they appear as female, are voiced by female actors and refer to one another as "her" and "she" so yeah. XD
8 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:59 am

I love and respect you guys so much but that's one ship I won't be able to board with you... :cry:

I thought long and hard about if I should say anything in this thread because I am painfully aware of the storm I just may be strolling into.

If the elements Jacob and others are suggesting feature prominently in Swat Kats Revolution, it would grieve me immensely because that means I cannot watch the show or share it with the kids after all this time of waiting for it to come out. I just don't think it's right to have children watch things like this. They are innocent and their identities are still forming. I say this after studying psychology, marriage and family along with my continual observations and experiences. It is a complete disregard for what is good for a child, what's happening in reality and it creates in me a sense of sadness and outrage.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter and Jacob, I don't know you very well and I am aware of your position, at least from what I see of your signature and posts. We can express whatever we want in our fan work, but please be aware that this is a very serious social issue that affects everyone. This is a highly divisive matter and I do not think it belongs in a show for kids. Keep it fun, artistic and just good action and storytelling we can ALL enjoy just like the spirit of the old series.

I will respect the Tremblays' artistic vision and I pray for their creative favor.

I want to thank you guys for allowing me to express my thoughts and feelings, even though I am coming from a completely different paradigm.
3 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Artsite
My Blog
Art Commission Info

Jacob1290
Raccoon with a pen

Postby Jacob1290 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:15 am

TazKat wrote:I love and respect you guys so much but that's one ship I won't be able to board with you... :cry:

I thought long and hard about if I should say anything in this thread because I am painfully aware of the storm I just may be strolling into.

If the elements Jacob and others are suggesting feature prominently in Swat Kats Revolution, it would grieve me immensely because that means I cannot watch the show or share it with the kids after all this time of waiting for it to come out. I just don't think it's right to have children watch things like this. They are innocent and their identities are still forming. I say this after studying psychology, marriage and family along with my continual observations and experiences. It is a complete disregard for what is good for a child, what's happening in reality and it creates in me a sense of sadness and outrage.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter and Jacob, I don't know you very well and I am aware of your position, at least from what I see of your signature and posts. We can express whatever we want in our fan work, but please be aware that this is a very serious social issue that affects everyone. This is a highly divisive matter and I do not think it belongs in a show for kids. Keep it fun, artistic and just good action and storytelling we can ALL enjoy just like the spirit of the old series.

I will respect the Tremblays' artistic vision and I pray for their creative favor.

I want to thank you guys for allowing me to express my thoughts and feelings, even though I am coming from a completely different paradigm.

I have NO intention on making chance and jake a couple. I agree that it would kinda ruin the brother like friendship they have.
I'm doing this story for my comic because I myself am apart of the LGBT Community, I understand where you're coming from but I am going to politely deny your request and continue with my plans on including the theme, I won't preach about how they deserve rights or anything like that, I'm just gonna put a character in a relationship and they person they're dating isn't even pre-existing it's someone I made for the comic. so really only one character is getting this kind of change to them
2 x
ImageImage

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:45 pm

TazKat wrote:I thought long and hard about if I should say anything in this thread because I am painfully aware of the storm I just may be strolling into.
I don't think there's any storm to be strolled into, and I appreciate your candor.

There are a number of people who share your perspective, and issues concerning orientation, relationships and how those relate to children, and specifically children's entertainment, are still ongoing points of discussion in American society. What is "normal" (and in this instance, I'm referring to an entertainment status quo) is far different from what many of us saw depicted as normal when we were children. I understand how jarring a lot of that can seem, particularly if there are elements that appear to be contrary to one's own beliefs.

But, with that in mind, these are concepts that are no longer outliers or fringe topics, and have become a mainstay of not only popular culture but also American society.

My argument isn't that you should be forced to accept anything you don't believe in, far from it.

But, I would pose to you that the ultimate point of including this kind of subject matter isn't so much to show something as "right" or "better" or to "erode one's values," but to simply show that people are different, that those differences exist, and that those differences need not interfere with our ability to work together, achieve common goals, and live in peace.

I think many of us could agree that we are all individually responsible for the values, world view and other items you impart to your children, especially regarding particular instances of entertainment that go contrary to those values.

But, it is also important to consider that children grow up, they interact with the world independent of their parents, and that simply choosing to ignore those who are different can put them at a disadvantage on multiple levels. I think it's important to note that tolerance does not equate to acceptance - we need not like something or agree with it - but we should be able to live with it.

Children, whether their parents be for or against the topic at hand, will (and are) living in a world not absent of these differences, and to not acknowledge that risks putting them at a great disservice.

I hope that my response doesn't come across as condescending, and I also hope that you will continue to be a member of our community :D
5 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:37 pm

I can understand both parts, and I won't be able to say it better than MoDaD.

If it's true that childrens are more receptive to what they see and more likely to misunderstand it, they will learn there is something more.

There are also levels with this. Some children films/animations contain characters with peculiar personalities regarding LGBT. We can see from just a guy all in pink clothes and a fur jacket with that funny script mostly seen in comedies, to that gay that you can't even difference from a straight. What I mean with this is that some of these levels are suitable for kids to not misunderstand and just learn. If the Tremblays introduce a character withing the right levels, I will not see it wrong at all, on the contrary, I would find it interesting and funny.

But as anyone else, that's my opinion and point of view. I still respect everyone's as I always do.
4 x

Return to “What If?”