SWAT Kats Fan/Creator Relations

This is a place for OOC hypothetical discussions on the show.
marklungo
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

SWAT Kats Fan/Creator Relations

Postby marklungo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:19 am

In the thread on LGBT Characters in SWAT Kats, Erico Bard made a point that I found so interesting that I decided it deserves its own thread. To wit:

These characters belong to the Tremblays, Lance Falk, and the other series writers. Any changes or additions are solely their responsibility.

People can and do change over time, but we need to be careful not to shift them too dramatically, because they're not OUR characters. They were made by someone else, and it's their vision. If they want to change it, fine. It's not our place to say.

As both a fan and an aspiring creator, I can see both sides of this issue.

On the one hand, Erico is right. The Tremblays are the creators and owners of SWAT Kats, not us. They should strive to make the best show possible (they do), and be nice to the fans (they are), and you could argue that they really don't owe us anything else. By the same token, we should strive to have a good rapport with the Tremblays and their collaborators (which we do) and not be too pushy or demanding in our dealings with them (which we aren't, AFAIK). Fortunately, the relationship has been characterized by mutual respect.

So where does that leave us when we have suggestions for Revolution? And what if those suggestions are potentially controversial, such as the idea of an LGBT character in what is essentially a kids' show? (As much as many of us [including me] would love to see this happen, we have to be aware that it's a long shot.) Ideally, the process would go like this:

1. The fans make their suggestion respectfully.
2. The Tremblays seriously consider the suggestion, then make their decision.
3. If they decide in our favor, hooray! Everybody's happy!
4. If they decide against us, they explain why in full.
5. If we agree that they had good reasons for deciding against us, everybody moves on.
6. If we think they didn't have good reasons, the discussion continues--respectfully--until everyone is satisfied.

Comments, anyone?
6 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Re: SWAT Kats Fan/Creator Relations

Postby Mikazo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Just some idle speculation here - If I were the Tremblays (well, one of them anyway. I couldn't be both of them!) I would be asking myself what level of interaction with the fans is sufficient.

We live in a different era now from when the show first aired. In the past I never would have dreamed that I could have a dialogue with the creator of what I was watching. Nowadays we are plugged into social media and it is more and more common for content creators to have some level of interaction with their fans.

As an example, a few years ago I made a fan video where I covered a tune from an old video game soundtrack on the drumset. I was able to find the original composer of the tune and share it with him (he responded), and later a company that was making a reboot of the game shared it on their social media page with their fans. We are in a time now where this sort of thing is possible.

The problem that I would see is that while it is awesome any time a content creator can have a relationship with their fans, things can become very mired down if you have too much fan input. Most fans want something different out of the show, and it is impossible to do what everyone wants. Let's say too for instance that fans are divided on how the show should handle a particular situation. If you go with one direction you could let down half of your fanbase, and going in the other direction could let down the other half. You may also have a situation where you have an overabundance of ideas, and you have to pick which ones really stand out that you want to go with above all the others.

This could pose a unique challenge for the creators, one that I am not sure they have really faced before. Or maybe they have? I have never personally been in that world before so I can't say. :)
5 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Just spoke with Christian. He says they'd like to have a process for incorporating fan ideas into a new series, but that it needs to first be a clearly defined process, either some kind of contest or submission/review, where specific individuals (and not just group ideas) need to be cited. The people these ideas came from would then need to follow the proper release/disclosure process to keep all legal T's crossed and I's dotted. He seemed very open to the idea, but it's also too early to start doing anything related to that.

So, in the meantime, I suppose you can have your ideas at the ready (or post them here so they're publicly time stamped for your own credit purposes :lol: ) and when the time is right, let the competing ideas loose and see what rises to the top.
6 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Felix Kayne
Long-Term Resident

Postby Felix Kayne » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:12 pm

I've had ideas before with the Swat Kats recently. I remember posting on Tumblr a while ago about an episode focused around Razor and his martial arts skills, maybe a two parter for that.

Another idea I had more recently about maybe Chance finds out about street racing and deciding to give it a try, for one reason or another. That idea is... sketchy and I'm still sitting on it, but it's something to start with.
4 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:08 pm

marklungo wrote:Ideally, the process would go like this:

1. The fans make their suggestion respectfully.
2. The Tremblays seriously consider the suggestion, then make their decision.
3. If they decide in our favor, hooray! Everybody's happy!
4. If they decide against us, they explain why in full.
5. If we agree that they had good reasons for deciding against us, everybody moves on.
6. If we think they didn't have good reasons, the discussion continues--respectfully--until everyone is satisfied.

Comments, anyone?

Sounds like a good idea to me. SinianThisCait
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:45 pm

MoDaD wrote:Just spoke with Christian. He says they'd like to have a process for incorporating fan ideas into a new series.....

Wow, that's very cool of them and I like the idea of a submission process.

I do have an idea for an episode, if they ever do decide to do a contest submission sort of thing. Muahaha! ::finger steeple:: ViperLaughCait
4 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm full of ideas of episodes. ViperSMile
4 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:53 pm

I have great ideas too! (But they would probably cringe. :oops:)
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:40 am

I myself have a villain idea I hope the Tremblays would like. And thanks for the feedback, everyone!
2 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Rusakov
Long-Term Resident

Postby Rusakov » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:29 am

I'm always wary of doing stuff like that to people who originally made it.

Though that might be due to the fact that I feel like I'm just an annoying person. :|
1 x

Return to “What If?”