What if: The Alternate Dimension concept was used AGAIN?

This is a place for OOC hypothetical discussions on the show.
Leon Mane
Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: What if: The Alternate Dimension concept was used AGAIN?

Postby Leon Mane » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:11 am

jesse220 wrote:
Leon Mane wrote:I'm writing a fan fic right now, so I'd like to ask your permission to use that in a later chapter. I don't want to seem like I stole it, and I will give credit.

Go ahead do your thing ;) :D

Thank you. I should have it done in a few weeks. When it'll be posted, however, I don't know. Yet.
0 x

jesse220
Long-Term Resident

Postby jesse220 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Leon Mane wrote:
jesse220 wrote:
Leon Mane wrote:I'm writing a fan fic right now, so I'd like to ask your permission to use that in a later chapter. I don't want to seem like I stole it, and I will give credit.

Go ahead do your thing ;) :D

Thank you. I should have it done in a few weeks. When it'll be posted, however, I don't know. Yet.

Anytime. :) Let us know when your done ;)
0 x

SwatKatsFan1
Resident

Postby SwatKatsFan1 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:22 pm

In my fanfic world, the SWAT Kats end up back in the dimension where their evil counterparts and are surprised to learn how Felina Feral is now Dark Kat's second in command since she's tired of her uncle standing in the way and not letting her do whatever she wants. How would that work, a good enforcer gone bad?
1 x

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:00 am

The good Feline is already a force to be reckoned with. A bad one would be positively terrifying!
1 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Website
My DA Account
Art Commission Info

Leon Mane
Resident

Postby Leon Mane » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Perhaps she's been slowly becoming more violent, but regulations and red tape keep getting in her way, so one day she's caught being rough with a suspect and ends up suspended, and a few words from Dark Kat regarding her wish to do what she wants to criminals and a promise that she is the law in Dark Kat City gets her to turn.
1 x

NightSlayer2
Just Moved In
Flag: Canada

Postby NightSlayer2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:13 pm

I thought of something about that. In a story I'm planning to write soon, I'm making an alternate version of Feral that is a ruthless crime boss.
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:14 pm

What? Feral using the Chin of Power... for evil?! Say it isn't so!
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Swatkatfan21
Long-Term Resident

Postby Swatkatfan21 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:28 am

I gave this some thought awhile back after watching the episode again. My idea was the Dark Swat Kats wanted revenge on their counterparts bad enough to cross dimensions. Naturally their Dark Kat and Callie would join the pair for their pound of flesh.

After the crossing over there would be the classic villains attacking the Dark Swat Kats thinking they are the normal Swat Kats. Cue the meeting of the Dark Kats and the forming of a mega villain alliance.

This is when things get good as both Dark Kats are plotting to betray each other. Let's face it, two megalomaniacs of their level couldn't stomach the idea of sharing the spoils.

The good Callie would be katnapped and replace with her counterpart. With the Dark Swat Kats causing chaos throughout she could push the Mayor to crackdown on our heroes.

As you can guess there would be a epic TurboKat duel above the city, but there could be the chance of a massive free-for-all as tension between the bad guys reaches the breaking point. Dark Kat/Dark Swat Kats vs Swat Kats/Enforcers vs villains.

I can picture Feral holding a Swat Kat in a headlock as he trys to tell him they are on the same side. Or the creeplings just sitting on the sidelines enjoying the brawl.

I think it would end with evil Callie about to hit the Mayor with his prized golf club to escape. Only to be saved by the good Callie with a right hook and clever remark. CalSmile
0 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:21 am

You folks are all thinking too small here.

One of the best things to come out of writing a story in an alternate setting/dropping ahead a century or so into the future is just how NOT limited you are by the constraints of existing canon. You can literally pick and choose what you like and what you don't. You don't necessarily have to make the world grimdark/crapsack/post apocalyptic, but neither do you have to make it bright, bubbly, and oversimplified.

In writing my Starfox Fanfic, I advanced the setting 75 years into the future after Starfox 64/The Lylat Wars, and said that Starfox Assault happened, but Starfox Command DIDN'T. It gave me a chance to expand the Lylat System and explain what the fall of Andross and the rise of the Cornerian military would mean after decades; A setting in which Arwings were seen by those who refused to fall under the banner of Corneria's empire as a symbol of oppression, and there had been a 4 decades long resistance and outright intrastellar civil war before Corneria planted its flag atop the hill of their fallen foes. Then I introduced a new alien threat which turned out to be ancient Lylatians related to the simian species that were 'coming home', and threw it all into chaos again. I made the primary protagonist Fox's granddaughter, I had her brother MIA, Wolf's grandson was her Commanding Officer, and the latest Arwing was capable of completely nullifying gravity and doing a ship to pilot mental link and dropping bombs that created microsingularities. And even though they were struggling to fight a war thrust on them from the new invaders, they still had plenty of moments of happiness, joy, and laughter.

One of the best examples of the 'alternate reality' to come out in the last 15 years was from Justice League, where Superman finally got fed up enough to brain fry Lex Luthor, and he and his team in that world ended up leading a relatively bloodless coup to create stability and peace and order. Of course, then they tried doing the same to the reality of the Justice League in the cartoon show. That was where the trouble started. It not only showed what could have been, but also highlighted what the team might do if they had a truly bad day. Come to think of it, the plotline of Injustice was likely derived a little from this possibility.

So far the ideas presented here all range from Big Ideas, such as the Dark SWAT Kats show up in the good guys' reality to wreak havoc, or Little Changes, such as Dr. Zyme becoming Dr. Viper and Dr. Elrod Purvis being a normal kat. You've come up with alternate backstories for existing characters, such as Hackle being an evil mad scientist bent on conquest as opposed to his more peaceful version we're familiar with, or Mac and Molly Mange NOT leading a life of crime, but instead being former bodyguards.

There are a lot of stories out there who do things like this; They change one little detail, or alter some quality of an existing character's personality that the writer disagreed with so that in a given situation, they react differently and create an alternate outcome and future. These are known as "Fix Fics." There's nothing wrong with these, they can be quite popular, but you know what they say in the world of writing; there are no new ideas, only new combinations. Had a professor in College who loved boiling down movies, stage productions, and everything else into less than 10 stories. That's something that I have to keep track of myself; as much as possible, if such a thing is possible, anything I write these days has to be just a little bit different and beyond what others have tried. I do so hate repeating things, after all.

-----------------------------

Let's take that idea of the Dark SWAT Kats didn't perish, but were thrown into a different reality when that bomb went off still connected to their Turbokat. Why toss them into the same world as their own SWAT Kats? If the SWAT Kats we know are considered the 'middle of the road', hurl them into the opposite extreme; a Megakat City where the Enforcers collapsed, and the SWAT Kats had to take over protecting the city...without the masks.

These two evil SWAT Kats, turned that way out of the bitterness earned from having their lives torn from them, find themselves in a world where as they're flying to try and get their bearings, they are not chased down, but are openly hailed on the radio, albeit with some confusion. They head for their hangar and find that the underground hangar's been converted into a museum. They bail, and going undercover, find that there is no going incognito. Chance Furlong and Jake Clawson are heroes, with Chance and his trusted right hand kat, Felina Feral, serving as the heads of the Enforcers' replacement, the "SWAT Corps", while Jake Clawson is a rich and brilliant engineer who makes all the gear for the SWAT Corps in house and happens to be dating the single most eligible bachelorette, Mayor Briggs. Or Hell, I don't care, switch it around. Offered a vision of the exact extreme, they find they have no reason to be who they were. They want money? They have it. They have power, and prestige as well, and they can go anywhere. There are somber moments as well; learning that Commander Feral died in the final moments of the Enforcers' existence, sacrificing himself to spare the city from Dark Kat's last suicidal attempt to tear the city apart...and that his last words were ones of confession to a revealed Jake and Chance in that reality, telling them that they were the best troopers and pilots he ever had, and that it was his own stubborn pride that wrenched them, and having realized that they kept on fighting in the role of vigilantes, he asks them over the radio to Take Up His Sword, to keep protecting Megakat City. And that that is exactly what the two former vigilantes did with the full support of what was left of the Enforcers, reorganized into the SWAT Corps, and the city government as well.

Throughout, you'd have these two bitter, rather violent and self-serving blokes start to take a hard look at their own lives, and slowly change. They stop insulting and smacking each other so much. They start to take a little bit better care of themselves. Feelings, hopes and dreams that they'd thought long ago buried and forgotten start to resurface. After all, are the SWAT Kats really beyond redemption, or were they twisted that way because of the hand they were dealt? Without a dark overlord influence like Dart Kat around, would they stay as they were, or, by seeing the lives their alternates lead, start to ask themselves; Can't we be better? A dynamic character, one which changes as a story progresses, is always more interesting than a static character, who never changes regardless of what happens.

If you really want to change things up, have the two Dark SWAT Kats be forced to step up to the plate and deliver; their good counterparts in the reality that they found themselves dumped in are threatened, and they move in to save them. Tragically, the good SWAT Kats are slain, and Felina and Callie, the only ones who know the truth, ask the 'dark' duplicates to stay on and fill the shoes of their mirror opposites. "Megakat City needs the SWAT Kats. We need you to stay." And as easy as it would be to just get back in their Dark Turbokat and try to fly off for home or someplace else, the two find that they can't. They don't want to. They've found a place that they could belong, and a place where they can find redemption. You end on a bittersweet note there, with Dark Chance finding himself as the reluctant leader of the city's police force, and Dark Jake taking over as Chief Engineer...possibly helping Callie and Felina through the grief of losing their lovers, and making those first awkward steps into building a relationship of their own.

In that way, you've addressed the alternate reality conundrum, you've created a situation full of dramatic impact and dynamic character growth, and most importantly, you've done so in a way that is so starkly different from all of the other 'Alternate Dimension' Fics out there that it stands the test of time, and leaves behind the other 90 percent of stories to join that rare 10 percent people favorite, bookmark, and recommend to others.

We want to make good stories. Don't be afraid to go a little farther to make that happen.

-Erico
0 x

Cody Furlong
Resident

Postby Cody Furlong » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:44 pm

I would definitely like to see more alternate takes on things. More of the ark Swat kats, and alternate time lines where one villain or another had succeeded in their plans. Or instead of becoming the Swat kats, Chance and Jake had done something different. They were still on the force for instance, or had risen through the ranks to take over command of the Enforcers. or were just normal kats that had never gone into the force to start with.
0 x
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.
- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

Return to “What If?”