SWAT Kats Nova Squadron issue #2

SWAT Kats related fan art goes here.
Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: United States of America

SWAT Kats Nova Squadron issue #2

Postby Felony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:50 am

Hey all! Poecat and I know that it has been a long time, but there are some new pages coming and we will update on Mondays! So we hope you enjoy!

Go here for page 1 of issue 2!

Go here to start from the beginning!

3 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Re: SWAT Kats Nova Squadron issue #2

Postby Poecat » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:18 pm

BAM! You got here before me to post this.... you are on the ball woman!
0 x

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident

Postby thelastmemory » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Yay! Finally! Going to read right now
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Poecat wrote:BAM! You got here before me to post this.... you are on the ball woman!

Mwhahaha! Tho you beat me elsewhere. XD
0 x
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:21 pm

1 x
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:39 pm

I love Nova Squadron as well, and I was kinda sad when Razor just... Stopped being a SWAT Kat. It would have been interesting if he still was one, but I guess after Chance died, he lost his strength to keep going. D;
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:35 am

Got a couple questions :)

Why isn't Razor remaining a SWAT Kat by remaining their tech, systems and repair guy? Also, how are they a "squadron" with a single two person jet when there are so many members, and without functional flight suits...? I don't get the premise. I also don't get why so many of the members are either teen/ish ages, or why there aren't members who are, say, already professional or "underground" fighters, or people with mercenary/agent backgrounds or up and coming technical genius quality, etc? The cast, especially with the sword bit, I just have a pretty hard time grasping the logistics? Feel free to disregard my confusion :) I know in the end it's just a fun and ambitious fan project on your part.
0 x
"So you SWAT Kats were telling the truth!"
"Duh, Commander!"

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:00 pm

Betaruga wrote:Also, how are they a "squadron" with a single two person jet when there are so many members, and without functional flight suits...?

While the creators of the fan comic will have to supply answers to your other inquiries (as I can't myself), I think it's fair to point out that the title of the show (which the comic is heavily inspired by) is SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.

Historically, a squadron was a smaller cavalry portion of the larger ground-based fighting force, and by definition is made up of two or more troops. In modern day colloquial terms, with the advent of aircraft replacing horses as the specialized troop's vehicles, squadron typically refers to two or more units of an aircraft and it's personnel (though it can also apply to tank units, reconnaissance units, and a variety of other things).

However, the term squad, which is derived from squadron, can be interchangeable depending on which country's military you're referring to, and at what point in history you're referring to. In casual speech, there's nothing inherently wrong with referring to a specialized force of two or more as a squadron, though I suppose one could argue there are more precise terms (in the U.S. Army for instance a squad is the smallest group of soldiers in the military organization for that branch - also known as a crew depending on what job they're doing).

But, in keeping with the spirit of the show, and the more casual nature a group of vigilantes such as those depicted in the comic appear to have, the term squadron isn't inappropriate.

I think a better question to ask is why is it called Nova Squadron. I have my own theory about that, and at the risk of being wrong, I'll go ahead and share.

A Nova is a star's explosion which occurs after it has reached the end of a long, productive life. When a star explodes, it produces all the elements/matter for the creation of new stars, planets and other things in the known physical universe. Without novas, everything would stop after the first star died. I think it's a rather appropriate phoenix-like analogy for what's happened in the comic, where the original SWAT Kats are the star that has lived and died in a spectacular explosive fashion, and in their wake new stars (Nova Squadron) can take shape.
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Cool, that totally answers my confusion on the squadron bit :) Thanks!
0 x
"So you SWAT Kats were telling the truth!"
"Duh, Commander!"

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:55 am

I totally don't mind answering some questions unless it becomes too much of a spoiler. I'm sure Poecat is too.

razorREO wrote:I've loved every bit of Nova Squadron so far and I've read part one all the way through more than once. :) Though it just kinda puts a hollow space in my heart to know that T-Bone got killed off early on. What made you two decide on that? Just wondering if it was necessary to the plot or...? *goes through the fourth wall and hugs Chance to make sure he stays alive*

There is a good reason for that one. It wasn't that we didn't like him or anything like that (as I remember one of the fandom's fic quirks was a lot of people always offed Chance or he always got his butt kicked lol). Just with how our script is set up, he was the better of the two to perish.

LowdogCraft wrote:I love Nova Squadron as well, and I was kinda sad when Razor just... Stopped being a SWAT Kat. It would have been interesting if he still was one, but I guess after Chance died, he lost his strength to keep going. D;

Jake is still a SWAT Kat, he just can't handle being out in the field due to injuries. He pushed himself to take on what he could but he knows it'll come to a point where mistakes will be made.

Betaruga wrote:Got a couple questions :)

Why isn't Razor remaining a SWAT Kat by remaining their tech, systems and repair guy?

We never said he wasn't, or least we didn't realize it may come across that way. Razor will still be there to not just guide the new group but to help with the equipment, the jet, etc. and show the others the basics. He'll be involved in their training as well.

Betaruga wrote:Also, how are they a "squadron" with a single two person jet when there are so many members, and without functional flight suits...?

Two reasons. One is to fit along with the show's titling. The second as MoDaD said, a squadron implies two or more individuals or troops. He is spot on with his answer. Also in regards to Nova, we tossed around several names before choosing Nova Squadron. Nova is from the Latin word novus meaning "new". It wasn't quite as deep as MoDaD's explanation but I really like the comparison. <3

Betaruga wrote: I don't get the premise. I also don't get why so many of the members are either teen/ish ages, or why there aren't members who are, say, already professional or "underground" fighters, or people with mercenary/agent backgrounds or up and coming technical genius quality, etc? The cast, especially with the sword bit, I just have a pretty hard time grasping the logistics? Feel free to disregard my confusion :) I know in the end it's just a fun and ambitious fan project on your part.

The premise is basically "what would become of Megakat City when the SWAT Kats are unable to protect it any longer?" It's akin to say Batman Beyond where Bruce wasn't able to protect Gotham as Batman (tho Jake isn't as ancient XD nor as bitter/grouchy though he'll have his moments).

As to their ages, only one of the new SKs is a teenager, Aero who is 19. The rest are on average in their mid 20s though Gaze herself is early 30s. The reason we went with this age group is they would need to have the vigor of youth to handle the strain vigilante work would put on one's body. Plus they would be putting in many years of this. Poecat and I figured that Razor and T-Bone were most likely in their mid to late 20s themselves when they started flying the skies as the SWAT Kats.

One doesn't have to be a professional fighter to be a SWAT Kat, though some have been trained. Aero and Crimson are both Enforcers and most likely received hand to hand combat training through the academy. They also would have some knowledge that while not "agents", are of law enforcement. Gaze is proficient in kung fu as it was something she learned early on as her parents were concerned for her safety given all that happens in Megakat. Apex was about one or two years in her own personal training. I'd say Tack and Wildstorm are more educated in street fighting. Klystron is the only one of the team who has had zero experience/training in how to fight, but he is that up and coming technical genius quality. Also more than likely, any of those who aren't pilots who wish to train will be trained in how to fly.

We wanted a diverse group of kats who had unique skills but didn't want to fall into the usual tropes. Granted we still have some like the hacker and the kung fu expert/ninja and the tom boy but we feel they are different enough in other ways. It took us about a year in planning this thing, and the only reason it wasn't longer was because we had already tried most of these characters out in the SWAT Kats' universe through group RPGS years prior.

LOL I hope that helped, and Poecat feel free to give your take on things or what not.
0 x
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Return to “Fan Art”