Monthly Art Challenge

SWAT Kats related fan art goes here.

Should the MSKAC be brought back?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm an artist and I want to try this!
100%
I'm an artist and I think this is a bad idea.
No votes

Total votes: 6

MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

Monthly Art Challenge

Postby MoDaD » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Some time ago there was an activity called The Monthly SWAT Kats Art Challenge which was originally run by Strike and later picked up by Klawz if my memory is correct, where artists would come up with works in response to the parameters of a challenge and people would vote for whichever they either liked the best or thought best fit the challenge. One example of a challenge was something along the lines of "draw an unlikely character pairing" and this was one particular response from Kris.

After the success of the Art Exchange I was wondering if you thought there would be an interest in a renewal of The Monthly SWAT Kats Art Challenge, coordinated via the MegakatCity.com forum, but also promoted at various locations like SWAT Kats Fanatics on deviantArt and of course the successful SWAT Kats Hangar on Tumblr run by Betaruga.

The rules would generally be the same, where each artist can submit an entry for the challenge at whatever effort level they would like (sketch, inked, colored, finished, whatever they feel like or have time for) and at the end of the month have a poll to determine who "won." The winner then gets to pick the topic for the next challenge. I believe the only caveat was that an artist couldn't win consecutively, but if they still wanted to participate for that month they could.

Artist submissions would be in responses to the parent topic at no set date other than before the polling deadline. No secrecy needed and no sign up lists to adhere to. If one finished early they could post it as soon as they like.

So, do you think this is an idea worth trying?
1 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Re: Monthly Art Challenge

Postby LowdogCraft » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:23 pm

I think this is a wonderful idea! It'll allow me to practice drawing some characters I never really draw. Plus it'll give me something to do over the weekend other than D&D. XD
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:33 am

Allow me to give a bit of history here (and links) of the Monthy SWAT Kats Art Challenge. I'll keep it brief.

- The MSKAC was started in 1998 by Strike and ran through most of 1999 (and an unsuccessful restart in 2000). Participation died and for a couple years it wasn't held. (http://mskac.fortunecity.ws)

- In 2001 it was revived in the form of a yahoo group ran by Klawz, Strike and myself (I was known as Annu-Chan back in the day). (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MSKAC/info)

- Klawz added Kris and Sage as mods in 2003 to help run it. (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MSK ... ssages/155) After awhile participation ceased and we closed it in 2004.

- A couple years later Kris, Sage and I tried bringing it back again through livejournal but there wasn't much interest and that one ended too. (No link available.)

- Aero and I tried a similar concept here at Megakat City (without the voting part) but participation once again ended after awhile. (Check earlier threads in the art section of this forum.). People get all excited about a MSKAC, participate, then lose interest after a few months or so. Perhaps with renewed interest and the series seeing at least a couple minutes worth of new animation, fans will be up for a full on official MSKAC again and keep the fun going awhile.

The rules were simple. Draw your interpretation of the challenge presented and submit it by the deadline. The entries would be voted on by members and the winner chose the next month's challenge topic. The original rules can be found here: http://mskac.fortunecity.ws/needto.html We pretty much stuck with these in the yahoo group but instead of emailing votes we used the polls feature of yahoo groups.

If this was tried here as a regular official thing, I strongly suggest it stay here for easier organization, to avoid confusion and avoid entries being missed. Promoting would be cool from dA (if they want) and the tumblr (if she wants) for announcement of the new challenge and reminders, but entries should all be posted at Megakat City forum. Plus the polls we have here would be the best way to hold voting as they worked well for us in the yahoo group.

I myself would be interested in its revival.
3 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Donny Huang
Resident
Flag: Taiwan

Postby Donny Huang » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:54 am

Wow, You guys so brilliant
I always envy someone who has great aptitude in painting
I hope you could show your works after finish it !
0 x
I'm a SK fan since 1997

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:02 am

Felony wrote:Allow me to give a bit of history here (and links) of the Monthy SWAT Kats Art Challenge. I'll keep it brief.

The event has certainly had its ups and downs over the years. I'd imagine that a new attempt could be positioned as more of a "let's try this once and see if we like it" kind of thing with no presumptions of long-term commitment, and just take it challenge-by-challenge?

With that in mind, I think it might be appropriate to base the challenges numerically, instead of naming or coordinating strictly by month (though allowing a month's time to complete the challenge). Similar to how certain types of modern day prize fighting have their events, so something along the lines of ART CHALLENGE ONE, 30 days to do art, 3 days to vote, then announce who "won," see how everyone feels at the end of that, allow time to reorganize, let the winner think out the next challenge, and then at an appropriate time announce ART CHALLENGE TWO, so as not to feel rushed by the month itself, particularly as it may be convenient to allow for full weekends to finish art that may not easily correspond with a particular month (something I deliberately allowed for with the due date of the Art Exchange).
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:33 am

As this is going for artists and they are the ones who are going to give life to the contest I suggest that if there are enough people interested in participate, talk with all of them and set in group things like the time limit, time betwen challenges and others so they all are comfortable with it. That will ensure more participations per challenge to begin with. Anyway, MoDaD's idea is not bad at all and since there's no need for applies before hand, I think it's perfect (in any case, artists are the ones who need to see if it is or not xD).
1 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:25 pm

MoDaD wrote:The event has certainly had its ups and downs over the years. I'd imagine that a new attempt could be positioned as more of a "let's try this once and see if we like it" kind of thing with no presumptions of long-term commitment, and just take it challenge-by-challenge?

With that in mind, I think it might be appropriate to base the challenges numerically, instead of naming or coordinating strictly by month (though allowing a month's time to complete the challenge). Similar to how certain types of modern day prize fighting have their events, so something along the lines of ART CHALLENGE ONE, 30 days to do art, 3 days to vote, then announce who "won," see how everyone feels at the end of that, allow time to reorganize, let the winner think out the next challenge, and then at an appropriate time announce ART CHALLENGE TWO, so as not to feel rushed by the month itself, particularly as it may be convenient to allow for full weekends to finish art that may not easily correspond with a particular month (something I deliberately allowed for with the due date of the Art Exchange).

Like this fandom, it had its ups and downs. Activity has always come and gone and come again. The only reason it is sort of steady now is because of the Tremblays' interest in renewing the show (and doing something about it).

I think the extended time would work better. Three weeks sometimes wasn't enough and artists felt rushed. I like the idea of extended "time off" between challenges as well. I feel that many artists would get a bit of burnout with having so many back to back bam bam bam. Sure people were not expected to do every challenge, but if they all were good challenges, sometimes had to pick and choose. Numbering them instead of strect month by month sounds good to me. I suggest adding perhaps a week after voting is complete before the next challenge is announced? Or five days maybe?

Cait wrote:As this is going for artists and they are the ones who are going to give life to the contest I suggest that if there are enough people interested in participate, talk with all of them and set in group things like the time limit, time betwen challenges and others so they all are comfortable with it. That will ensure more participations per challenge to begin with.

I believe that's what this thread is for, Cait. ^_^ I'd like to hear more from the artists here. So far I feel what MoDaD has proposed sounds reasonable.
1 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:00 am

Monthly art challenge sound like fun ^^
0 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:21 am

Seems like there are only 3 individuals actually interested (me being one of those in the poll). I worry it would end up like the last time... Where theres not enough participation.

I could make a post on FA to see if there would be individuals wanting to possibly join the forums and participate in the SK art challenges. Posting the rules and stipulations as well. Which let me know if you guys want me to do that.

A question. Are SK OCs able to be drawn for these challenges? Or is it strictly cannon show characters?
0 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:00 pm

I wish I could say yes or no, but I'm completely burnt out right now and just trying to finish all the other Swat Kats stuff I'm set on making for now. I cant really take the idea of piling on something else right now.
1 x

Return to “Fan Art”