learning to draw

SWAT Kats related fan art goes here.
Jiesi
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

learning to draw

Postby Jiesi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:02 pm

So since we have an awesome contest going on with a great prize that you'd have to be mad to not want, but might not be an artist, I decided up put up a little tutorial. It's not the way I approach drawing but this is sorta the way my schools have been trying to force me to work and I fail cuz I'm a stubborn moose...
Well anyway you need references, those help along with some sort of idea. Keep it loose with a stick figure. Anybody can do a stick figure. They're not really loading in the order that I want so you'll get the after before the before....attest it didn't get complicated yet
Attachments
Turmoil-035st1.jpg
Turmoil-035.jpg
swat_kats_3st1.jpg
swat_kats_3.jpg
2 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Re: learning to draw

Postby Jiesi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Of coarse you need more then just a sticks, so to make it easy and break down the shape you use your basic shapes, cone circle, oval, rectangle ect.
Attachments
Turmoil-035st2.jpg
Turmoil-035.jpg
swat_kats_3st2.jpg
swat_kats_3.jpg
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:12 pm

Now that it looks a little more like something, this can help you with the contour drawing. You can start with broad lines and then and more detail and stuff. I just did lines just to make it less overwhelming. take your time when you get there you get there and then you can ink what you want and erase the rest and then color and have fun.
Attachments
Turmoil-035st3.jpg
Turmoil-035.jpg
swat_kats_3st3.jpg
swat_kats_3.jpg
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Now faces may be a little more complicate or something or intimidating but you can still do it with some of the above guide lines but I'll go over it again cuz its a face and faces can be weird I guess. but like before you break it up into simple shapes.
Attachments
the-deadly-pyramid-358.jpg
gropst1.jpg
commanderst1.jpg
commander.jpg
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Oh I just realized why faces are weird and complicated, you need to figure out what perspective you want...maybe I'll cover that latter.... but you figure out what you want for the perspective, which way you want them looking . You do the vertical line going down between the eyes. keep in mind the head is round so make the lines curved unless its a straight on shot.... I feel like I should describe it better but I did have a teacher say art cant be taught but it can be shown so hopefully you'll still get the idea
you also want to make horizontal lines to get an idea of where you want the eyes and mouth...I would say nose to but doing it like this I just left it out.
Attachments
gropst2.jpg
commanderst2.jpg
commander.jpg
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:27 pm

And now you go back to the contour drawing and slowly build up detail just like before. Any questions? Did this help?
Attachments
gropst3.jpg
commanderst3.jpg
commander.jpg
2 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm

I think it is a good start point.

In my case, I'm just too lazy to use stick figures and I just jump to a first sketch. But I DID try this a few times and it did help a lot. You can say that following these steps helps you see bit by bit how the drawing is going to end and allows you to fix any problems with body poses and angles (something you won't be able to do properly if you jump to the final step like me RazEmbarrassed ).

Anyway, one gold tip for drawing is to search first for plenty of references (for the pose and the character itself). Don't stick just with the first one you see. As drawing is a visual art, it'll be easier for you to imagine your drawing if you take a look to multiple references. Choose the ones you see are more close to your liking and don't take just one since there may be useful details on one that the others don't have and vice versa.

And finally, drawing is all about practicing. Don't expect your first drawing to be a masterpiece. You will improve as you draw and try new things while finding your style. So don't stop that hand! SinianThisCait
3 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Yeah I'm the same way, plus I don't look at things like that. I've tried to do it my schools way and it just looked worse. Maybe something similar if I was doing it straight out of my head but I usually jump right in and ask questions later. I failed 3 classes going for my masters in fine art just because I cant conform.
2 x

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:24 pm

I've to draw something like that but I stopped drawing I'm not good like the rest but that advice will help me
0 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:20 pm

As someone who is self taught, I can very much understand that everyone learns in a different way and just because someone learned how to draw one way, doesn't mean you can't learn another way. Our brains all work differently, we all learn differently. Part of the journey of honing your talent is to know how you learn and play to your strengths.

And just because your teachers told you to do it one way, it doesn't mean you always have to do it that way. Your teachers have to wrangle a whole gaggle of students who are on all different levels with their art talent. They are teaching you the basics that work for a wide range of people. Everyone can draw a stick figure, everyone can add shapes to stick figures. After that, if your brain needs you to veer off on your own path to wrap its head around the pose you're trying to make, go for it.

As Cait said, practice is the most important part. Practice, practice, practice. Everything else will figure itself out on the way. Don't worry if you draw differently than other artists. Likewise, be open to trying new ways of drawing. It can only increase your level of experience.
2 x

Return to “Fan Art”