screen caps of my terible fan animation

SWAT Kats related fan art goes here.
Jiesi
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

screen caps of my terible fan animation

Postby Jiesi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:33 pm

As much as I know its not the quality that I want, I'm learning. These are screen caps from what I'm trying to experiment with. Trying different things with drawing on paper vs computer, good programs and bad as well as different tablets. Unfortunately with the program I'm using I cant open and fix zoom or anything on a past project. But I'd like to show progress anyway.
Attachments
tbone sc.png
over citysc.png
fly threw sc.png
time portalsc.png
3 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

MoDaD
Janitor

Re: screen caps of my terible fan animation

Postby MoDaD » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Looks pretty neat so far. Is there a particular technique or application you use to make these?
0 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:17 pm

I just drew them in pen and charcoal or pencil. Then I went into gimp copied the layer and set one to multiply and then colored. I really liked the texture of the old cartoons and thought it was charcoal so that's what I did but now that I'm doing more work on my huion tablet I'm not really getting that effect. Maybe I'll do more like that I don't know... so much paper X_X and thanks. RazorHappyCait
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:26 pm

currently trying to animate Dark Kat and Past Master....Somehow I think Past Master keeps messing up Dark Kat with his layers. Pencil 2d has a mind of its own....I also wonder if anyone ever told the Past master he looks like a deflated pumpkin
Attachments
dksc.png
pmsc.png
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Still better than anything I could do! SinianThisCait
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:25 pm

You show great charactur and expression in your work! and very good at coloring. My coloring stinks with gaps and stuff. But the main pit fall in my animation project is the animation itself, its not smooth yet in most parts. the lines need work and I thought I had something good going on with Dr. Vippers hands only to realize seeing it on a big screen blue is showing threw and then gaps in his scaly skin. Pencil is free which I love and is simple to use but Oh so flawed and at times wants to be the bane of my existance.https://twitter.com/MaJiesi/status/889856514990723073
origonally I wanted it to promote the kickstarter but that ended 2 years ago while I was binge watching Dr Who and thinking the daleks were coming after a weird explosion happend outside my window. and it was going to be just to the main lyrics and have them take off in the jet...Then I wanted more lol. So now its a battle royal for the city, tourest, get your I SURVIED MEGAKAT CITY T-SHIRTS, then Swat Kats show up save the day only to repeat again and have Callie mouth the words I need you.
Lol this guy I met online kinda made fun of me after asking how did I get into animation so I told him and hes like "I want to watch Swat Kats but they're not on anymore so I'll go make my own". TboneLaughCait Lets just take over the show lol. DarkKatIcon
1 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:30 pm

One really cool thing about pencil 2d is that you can change the opacity of the screen to see whats on your desk top. Which hepled me with the running and the enforcer car exploding which may be over kill....but it was fun. the kats running is from the deadly pyramids. I tried to change them to look less business like
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:36 am

So to make the animation, you are tracing over screen capped images taken from the original animation?
0 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:38 am

Only whats complicated and that I can't feel out on my own. Like a creepling crawling down dark kats arm, or a simple martial arts move. those things, I know what they feel like and I can mimic. People running in terror that's really complicated. I have no experience and no help. If I could pull off a complex seen like that I'm quitting my job and work in an awesome studio. which is something I'd like to eventually do since I think they make more money, and I'd be so much happier.
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:25 pm

I'm going to have to give you an Official Warning as tracing and claiming art as your own is against the art forum rules.

I have some friendly advice I hope you consider as I myself am an artist who is still learning and trying to improve.

Jiesi wrote:Only whats complicated and that I can't feel out on my own.

You should know that if you always rely on tracing, you are hindering yourself in learning how to draw more complicated scenes. If you instead use a pose as reference and try to sight draw it, you are learning. Eventually you will be able to know where to place lines with practice.

Jiesi wrote:I have no experience and no help.

It takes time to improve artistic skills. I've seen your art where you haven't traced and I see you have talent. Tracing isn't a quick fix and to be honest I could tell your animation was heavily traced. I even recognize the episodes you traced from.

If you are able to, try taking drawing classes. I see you mentioned elsewhere that you have but failed as you weren't willing to listen to the instructors. You have to learn the basic rules before you can alter them.

Jiesi wrote:If I could pull off a complex seen like that I'm quitting my job and work in an awesome studio. which is something I'd like to eventually do since I think they make more money, and I'd be so much happier.

Animation is a tough job to get as it is highly competitive. You need to go to school to learn and even then many students do not graduate and only a handful of graduates get hired. Getting work as a 2-D animator is even less likely because most traditional animation is done overseas. SWAT Kats was animated overseas. More computer animation is done here in the States. I've heard the pay is good but the environment is stressful. Animators work long hours (50-60 per week) and are pushed to get work done as quick as possible.

Thing is, tracing isn't the way to go to learn how to animate. It can be a useful tool for experienced artists, but I wouldn't recommend it as a learning tool.
3 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Return to “Fan Art”