Bad Vibrations

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Bad Vibrations

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:26 am

My apologies for (again) writing in screenplay format, but, eh, I find it comfortable to plot out a story with.

It may be unwise of me to begin a new story with both versions of The End of the SWAT Kats! and the novelizations of The Giant Bacteria and The Radical Beginning still unfinished, but, eh, I'm not only creatively restless, but I'm also forever driven by a desire to share my work with others. So here begins my newest endeavor.

My apologies for the first half being so talky, but, eh, exposition and all...

BAD VIBRATIONS

A script by Kooshmeister (Bill Hiers)

Based on characters created by Hanna-Barbera and Christian and Yvon Tremblay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EXT. FOREST

It's late evening at the edge of a clearing in the woods somewhere. A squirrel scampers along and perches himself on an old rotten log. He sniffs the air. A smoking volcano looms ominously in the background against the dimming sky as the sun sets. We can just make out a beautiful waterfall coming down off of the mountain, feeding a steaming hot stream that flows through the undergrowth. Suddenly there is a shuddering roar.

A bulldozer, open-topped, a determined-looking worker, ARCHIE, at the controls, drives into view. The squirrel leaps off the log and scurries away as the enormous treads of the dozer grind the fallen tree into mulch. The vehicle knocks down several trees, stops, and backs up, the squirrel chittering angrily at it. The driver takes no notice.

EXT. CLEARING

We pan with the dozer and see that a large construction project of some sort is underway in the clearing. Although an official-sign, recently erected, says "Shaft 9," no such shaft is in evidence. But there will be soon if the enormous drill being rigged up nearby is any indication. Also on hand are a pickup truck with the geode emblem of the Megakat Geological Society, an exacavator and a canvas-topped truck. These latter two sit over at the far end of the clearing, while the pickup is sitting in front of the only building on site, a single story hutlike construction.

WORKERS scurry to and fro performing various tasks. They're all wearing orange hardhats and reflective orange vests. TECHNICIANS in blue coveralls and cream hardhats prep the drill. Overseeing it all is DR. ENITA IGNIMBRITE, the weathered but still beautiful young geologist, in her customary khaki shorts, many-pocketed hunting vest over a sweat-stained tee, her slightly frazzled brown hair pulled back into a girlish ponytail. Alongside her is KYLE, a lanky kat with a crooked tie and goggles on his blue hardhat who appears to be the work supervisor.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

A narrow valley near the woods on the other side of the volcano. A chain link fence marks the edge of private property. It's steamy, filled with volcanic vents. Nondescript-looking, presumably recently abandoned equipment sits here and there. At one end, the valley terminates into a dark-looking cave. Up on the embankment there's a tall transmission tower with an emergency phone box on it. A security camera mounted just above the phone box surveys the area.

A Jeep drives up to the fence and stops. We see a suspicious-looking kat, KUDROW, behind the wheel. How suspicious is he? He has dark sunglasses, a black turtleneck shirt and matching jeans and fingerless gloves. He's got "enemy agent" written all over him.

Shutting off his engine, he gets out with a duffel bag over his shoulder and climbs the fence. Jumping down, he crouches low, observing the transmission tower. Deftly avoiding being seen by the camera, he hurries along the valley floor as it slopes up towards the forest.

INT. STEAM CAVES

We can hear a muffled roar coming from somewhere, seemingly everywhere all at once, but this is perfectly natural; it's the sound of the waterfall on the side of the mountain, as heard through the many tons and tons of rock. Suddenly, another sound begins to make its presence known - and this one is different. It's a low rumble from deep underground, barely audible above the sound the falls are making. The ground suddenly splits. The crack begins to widen ominously. Hissing steam and smoke escapes.

EXT. FOREST

Kudrow feels the earth tremble beneath his feet and pauses, but after a moment it passes, and he continues on.

EXT. CLEARING

The ground quakes gently.

ENITA
(absently)
Another tremor...

KYLE
Anything serious?

ENITA
I shouldn't think so.

KYLE
Looks like the dozer's about done.

ENITA
When can we begin drilling...?

KYLE
Not long now. But before we can do anything, Archie's got to get that monster outta the way.
(yells over to the bulldozer driver)
Come on, Archie, move it, would you?

ARCHIE
(hollering back)
I'm movin', I'm movin'!

EXT. FOREST

Kudrow is crouched in the bushes, looking through a pair of military grade binoculars. The squirrel comes over and perches on his hind legs next to him, tail twitching, but Kudrow hasn't noticed him yet.

EXT. POWER PLANT - MAIN GATE

The plant itself is a large facility covering several acres of land. A chain link fence surrounds the perimeter of the property. At the main gate, a big sign informs anyone coming up to it: "MEGAKAT GEOTHERMAL POWER PLANT." The sign is emblazoned with the Geological Society's geode emblem.

PROTESTORS stand at the gate, holding signs saying things like "THIS PLANT IS A JOB KILLER!" and "DENIT IS RIGHT!" They're mostly WORKERS from the nearby Megakat Nuclear Power Plant. They're not doing anything except shouting and waving their signs. Their leader, a burly-looking FOREMAN from the nuclear plant, is shouting things through a bullhorn.

There's a few ENVIRONMENTALISTS and HIPPIES, holding signs saying "STOP RAPING THE EARTH!" They don't appear to have anyone actually leading them, but there's plenty of bullhorns and megaphones to go around.

There's even a few COUNTER-PROTESTORS, there to do ideological battle with those who are pro-nuclear energy, mostly from among the environmentalists' group, with signs like "ATOMIC ENERGY = DEATH!" Leading them is a middle-aged SCIENCE TEACHER wearing a "No Nukes!" pin, who has a bullhorn of his own, and he's currently engaging in a shouting match with the nuclear power plant foreman.

Trying his level best to ignore them is a lone SECURITY GUARD sitting in a small hut, occasionally glancing up from a battered-looking old paperback of questionable literary value. Suddenly they hear the rackety whir of rotor blades. They glance up and watch as a a sleek helicopter with the Geological Society geode on the sides comes in low overhead.

EXT. FOREST

Kudrow looks up with his binoculars as the helicopter flies overhead.

EXT. CLEARING

A few of those present including Enita glance up as the copter comes in low overhead.

Inside, we see MIRANDA, a fortyish she-kat in a three-piece suit and dress combo (emphatically without a tie, her silk shirt open at the neck for comfort) who is a few pounds overweight, but who makes up for it with the carefully manicured appearance of a powerful and wealthy executive. She has long brown hair flowing over her shoulders and eyes as hard as flint.

Looking impressed but in a very reserved manner, Miranda leans forward from the back seat and says something inaudible to her PILOT, severe-looking she-kat in mirrored aviators, who nods.

On the ground, Enita frowns as she watches the copter whip around, trying to find a landing spot.

ENITA
What do they want now...?

The radio in her nearby parked Jeep crackles. She goes and answers it. A voice (plant manager "Big Stan") comes through.

ENITA
Ignimbrite here.

BIG STAN
(through the radio)
We got an inbound chopper--

ENITA
(smiles)
One step ahead of you, Stan.

BIG STAN
(through the radio)
Just following procedure, Doc.

ENITA
Roger. I've got to go and greet Her Highness. Over and out.

Hanging up, she goes over to greet Miranda as the copter's wheeled landing gear lowers and the aircraft makes a gentle landing in the clearing, sending up huge clouds of dust and debris with its rotor blades. Slowly the engine winds down. The doors open and Miranda gets out and walks over.

ENITA
(forcibly cordial)
Miranda.

MIRANDA
(bland, seemingly bored)
You're just beginning?

ENITA
(sighs)
We've hit a few speedbumps...

Miranda's eyes narrow slightly.

MIRANDA
Show me.

They start off.

ENITA
(to Kyle)
You wait here.

EXT. WOODS

Kudrow lowers the binoculars and jots something down on a little notepad. He sighs, pockets it, then turns and notices the squirrel. He glowers at it.

KUDROW
(snarling)
Rahhhh!

The squirrel shrieks and scurries off. Overhead Kudrow notices dark clouds gathering. We hear the soft rumble of thunder.

INT. SUBSTATION 9

A smallish control center. There's a bank of monitors and control panels and a chair for the supervisor and little else. The door opens and Enita enters followed by Miranda.

ENITA
Someone's been sabotaging some of the construction equipment. We only just now got the big drill repaired.

MIRANDA
(angry)
We're already behind schedule and I've got the energy commission breathing down my neck. And we've got the Mayor and Governor coming for an inspection later this week. I don't need this.

Enita looks annoyed.

ENITA
It's not like I can help it. Whoever it is--

MIRANDA
(interrupting angrily)
It's Denit and you know it! I saw his crowd of sign-waving flunkies at the entrance to the main building when I first flew over. If there's any sabotage going on here, Chuck Denit's fingerprints are all over it.

ENITA
Be that as it may, Denit, or whoever he's sending, tends to strike at night when nobody else is out here. And they're really slick at avoiding the security cameras.
(frowns)
I asked you for more guards...

MIRANDA
I'll see what I can do. Money's tight. I had to pour everything into these drills.
(tenses)
And Pumadyne, knowing how badly we needed them, charged an arm and leg for them. If only the laser satellite Dr. Cougar built for us hadn't been destroyed. It would've cost even more but it would've helped us drill twice as fast once we'd converted it to suit our needs here.

She looks out the window, watching as they finished getting the device in question set up. It's a drill of mammoth size on a pivoting hydraulic platform. The sky continues to darken outside, as much from the sun going down as from the stormclouds.

MIRANDA
This plant has to be operational on schedule. If Clawstone isn't impressed then the energy commission might start listening to Denit. And I think you and I both know what that means.

Enita joins her.

ENITA
I know, and I agree. This new geothermal process is Megakat City's ticket to finally being free from nuclear energy.

MIRANDA
If the project stops here at Shaft 9... then the new power plant stops here. So it's this shaft that's going to make or break us. Meaning we've got to work together to stop this saboteur or saboteurs and get Denit out of our hair.

ENITA
And what do you suggest we do in the meantime?

MIRANDA
(smirks)
Drill, baby, drill.

A shuddering thunderclap. The lights flicker.

ENITA
Not tonight, apparently.
(before Miranda can protest)
And before you protest, digging a great big hole in the ground while it's pouring down rain isn't generally advisable. The topsoil here is predominantly soft clay. Unless you want your precious drill to sink into the mud.

She smirks. Miranda glowers, says nothing, and storms out.

MIRANDA
Fine. Just make sure everything goes according to plan and stays on schedule.

EXT. CLEARING

They exit. The wind is picking up, rustling the tree branches. Enita says something inaudible to Kyle.

KYLE
(calling out)
All right, everybody, we're knocking off for the night!

Miranda gets into the helicopter. The rotors fire up and a moment later Miranda's pilot is lifting the aircraft into the increasingly angry-looking sky, landing gear retracting, and turning she flies off.

Everyone begins getting into vehicles to drive off and return to base, all except for Archie, the bulldozer driver, who seems to be experiencing some problems with his vehicle. Enita's Jeep pulls up alongide him.

ENITA
Problems?

ARCHIE
Yeah, this dang thing is actin' up...

ENITA
Well, it can wait until tomorrow.

ARCHIE
I just wanna take a look.

ENITA
Well, don't take too long, or else it looks like you're gonna be caught in one nasty storm!

Saying goodbye, she drives off. Soon everyone is gone and it's begun to drizzle. Besides Archie, the only man who's remained is worker HOBBS, a big fat kat, taking shelter in the supervisor's hut. He's armed with a laser rifle.

INT. SUBSTATION 9

Hobbs settles in for a long and hopefully boring night.

EXT. WOODS

Figuring he'll wait until it's safe, Kudrow crouches in the bushes. It's now completely dark for all intents and purposes. Suddenly he hears a sound behind him. A rustling sound like something heavy moving through the forest. He tenses, turns and scans the undergrowth.

EXT. CLEARING

Archie, with the hood of the dozer up and heedless of the increasing downpour, has a small flashlight clenched between his teeth as he works on the engine. He's interrupted from his concentration as he, too, hears the rustling sounds, although not as clearly as Kudrow. Taking the light out of his mouth, he shines it around the work area. Its beam illuminates nothing of interest.

ARCHIE
Hello?

No response.

EXT. WOODS

Kudrow frowns, but the noise, whatever it is, seems to be moving away off to the left, and eventually it's gone entirely. All he can hear now is the pitter patter of the raindrops falling through the forest canopy.

EXT. CLEARING

With the noise gone, a wary Archie returns to his work, but he's alert now, and makes certain to place a heavy-duty wrench he isn't using in arm's reach.

EXT. POWER PLANT - EVENING

The geothermal power plant is comprised of a main building (control center) with eight outbuildings arranged in a semicircle around it.

INT. POWER PLANT - CONTROL ROOM

BIG STAN sits with his feet up on a console. He's tall and middle-aged, with a fat middle, wearing a tie and a blue hardhat. He looks bored. He glances at closed-circuit TV screens and gauges and dials. Machinery hums. The room is big and windowless, lit exclusively by flourescent desk lamps and the pale glow from the various screens. Technicians sit around at different stations stations.

One screen shows Hobbs in the Shaft 9 control hut. Another shows an exterior view of the construction site with Archie working on the bulldozer. Lightning arcs across the sky on the screen. The technicians murmur among themselves.

The double doors of the room whoosh open and Enita enters. Sitting up, Stan takes his feet off of the console and tries to look professional. Enita just chuckles. She walks over and confers with a female technician who's sitting at a station dedicated to meteorology.

ENITA
(conversationally)
Big storm coming according to the weather service. I sure hope Archie finishes up soon.

BIG STAN
How'd the meeting with Miranda go...?

ENITA
About the way they usually do. "Get it done." And then she zipped off just as soon as she'd arrived.
(sighs)
I swear, sometimes that woman expects the impossible.

Stan shrugs.

ENITA
(annoyed)
If only it weren't for this stinking storm. The fact we needed to knock off work early tonight is what seemed to annoy her the most.

BIG STAN
She's got a lot on her plate...

ENITA
The protests. People will picket anything.

She frowns and looks at one of the surveillance screens. The protestors are beginning to disperse due to the rain.

ENITA
Well, the storm is doing something positive for a change, anyway.

She notices Archie on another screen.

ENITA
(to herself)
Is he still working on that bulldozer...?

She leans forward to a desktop microphone and presses a button, speaking into it.

INT. SUBSTATION 9

Enita's voice crackles through the radio.

ENITA
(through the radio)
Control to Substation 9.

Hobbs answers.

HOBBS
Yeah?

ENITA
(through the radio)
Archie's still working on his bulldozer. Keep an eye on him. Knowing him, his "little look" is gonna turn into an all-night overhaul of that thing.

HOBBS
Roger that, Doc.

ENITA
Over and out.

She clicks the radio off.

ENITA
Well, I'm gonna turn in. Wake me if anything exciting happens.

She turns and walks out.

EXT. CLEARING

Cursing as he is drenched in the rain, Kudrow sneaks out into the clearing and walks over to the huge drill. He stares up at it, frowning. Taking off his shades, he slips them into his pocket, then plunks down his duffel bag. Crouching hown, he unzips it, and starts removing tools.

Overhearing him, Archie turns and shines his flashlight towards the sound. Kudrow blinks, caught in the bright beam of light.

ARCHIE
Hey, you!

KUDROW
Crud!

Grabbing his bag, the saboteur jumps up and takes off running. Grabbing the huge wrench he'd set aside, Archie hops down and gives chase, yelling over his shoulder to the hut as his goes.

ARCHIE
(yelling)
Hey! Hey, we got a problem!

Hefting his laser rifle, Hobbs emerges from the hut into the pouring rain. He just catches sight of Archie rushing off into the blackness and rushes off to join him.

INT. WOODS

Kudrow stumbles through the wet, tangled underground, cursing, his bag slipping and falling more or less near where he was crouched spying on the construction crews earlier, spilling various tools of sabotage all over the ground. Groping in the darkness, he tries to collect his things. Suddenly, he hears approaching voices.

ARCHIE
(yelling)
I think he came this way!

Kudrow decides to abandon his things for now, standing and turning, running off blindly in another direction. He doesn't see a huge, dark shape that definitely wasn't there before. The shape shudders and appears to change form, although we cannot make it out in the darkness and rain. It turns to pursue Kudrow, taking a huge, unsteady step, but then the two workers who'd been dilligently pursuing the intruder come rushing onto the scene. The thing - a MONSTER if there ever was one - turns instead to confront them. Archie and Hobbs skid to a sudden halt. Archie shines his flashlight up at the creature, but we don't see it.

ARCHIE
(terrified)
Kats alive!

HOBBS
What is that thing?!

ARCHIE
Who cares? Shoot it!

Hobbs frowns and takes aim with his rifle.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

Kudrow rushes through the valley. Hearing the sound of laser fire, he stops and turns. He hears a piercing scream of terror. This gets his feet moving and he continues running. He climbs over the fence and is in his Jeep, firing up the engine. Throwing the vehicle into reverse, he whips it around and speeds off hurriedly.

INT. FOREST

We still don't see the creature. Hobbs' laser fire doesn't seem to be doing any good. Suddenly he's struck and knocked down, the weapon flying from his hands, his hardhat getting knocked off. Archie stoops to assist him and is grabbed, dropping his flashlight. Lying on the ground, Hobbs watches as his fellow worker is dragged screaming away through the bushes.

HOBBS
Archie...!

Turning to try and escape, himself, he staggers slowly headlong through the forest.

EXT. CLEARING

Hobbs comes stumbling out of the woods and trudges desperately across the clearing, and stops to rest against a large rock. He stands there panting. He can see the light of the supervisor's hut several yards away. Salvation! But something is amiss. He turns and presses his hand against the rock.

HOBBS
(worried)
This wasn't here before...

The "rock" shudders and begins moving. Hobbs backs up and a flash of lightning illuminates his wide-eyed face as he lets loose a horrified shriek.

INT. FEAR SHIP - ALCHEMY LABORATORY

A captured LIEUTENANT FELINA FERAL lies strapped to a table. She's twisting and fighting in restraints. Writhing in agony. A strange, helmet-like device is attached to her head. Standing over her is DARK KAT, an ominous, menacing shape with eyes glowing like hot coals. When he speaks, his voice is a reverberating, hellish echo.

DARK KAT
And now, Lieutenant, just relax and let my wonderful little machine do its work.

Felina screams. Dark Kat laughs. We hear other voices. His and others' (Dark Kat's technicians NICHOLAS MARLOW and MORTIMER ZECKIS).

DARK KAT
...an alternative to many tedious hours of fruitless interrogation...

ZECKIS
...she sounds like she's suffering...

MARLOW
...that's the point of torture...

Tears flow from Felina's eyes.

DARK KAT
...let her come and see the destruction of her precious Enforcers...

FELINA
No, no, no, nooooooooooooo!

DARK KAT
...it is not only painful, but will leave you very dead...

INT. FELINA'S APARTMENT - BEDROOM

A comfortable-looking, cozy bedroom. We can hear rain pelting the windows. Felina, wearing a black pajama tank top and boyish-looking gray underwear, is tossing and turning in bed. She's sweating. Suddenly her eyes open and she gasps. She's awake. After a moment, she sits bolt upright in bed and sits there for a moment, panting.

FELINA
(to herself)
Not again...

She turns and looks around. There's a sliding glass door leading out onto a small balcony. The balcony is soaked and rain hammers against the glass. A flash of lightning briefly illuminates the dark room. Felina looks at the digital alarm clock on the bedside table. It reads 3:58.

FELINA
Crud.

She gets up. She walks past her dresser. Even in the dim light we can see numerous framed photographs decorating the top. One is of her father and her as a little girl at the carnival. Her father is a rather bookish-looking fellow with glasses in contrast to his harder brother. She's sitting on his shoulders and has just accidentally dropped her ice cream onto his head. A handwritten little note in the bottom corner reads "Me and Dad at the fair. Taken by Uncle Ulysses."

Another picture of her father is beside that, as well as one of a beautiful and tough-looking she-kat who she clearly takes after. It simply reads "Mom." There's also one of her uncle, and, quite unusually, Commander Feral is wearing a T-shirt, holding a beer and smiling happily.

Felina herself posed in an Enforcer officer's dress uniform with holstered ceremonial sidearm and a serious look on her face is the largest of the pictures. A banner behind her reads "Enforcer Academy: Class of '92." The ceremonial sidearm itself, a laser pistol with engraved grips, is in a glass display case on the end of the dresser.

Then on the end past the gun there's a final photo of Felina with T-Bone and Razor. She is between them. She has her arms around each of their shoulders. Scribbled at the top is "Best buds! - Uncle Ulysses Doesn't Approve," with a frowny face doodled after it.

INT. FELINA'S APARTMENT - BATHROOM

She flicks on the light. Turning the faucet on, she pours water into a small tumbler and drinks it in one gulp, setting the vessel on the counter with a shaking hand, trying to steady herself. Leaving the water running, she stares at herself in the mirror, sweaty and dishevelled. She glowers and makes a fist, as though to punch the glass, but holds herself back. Sighing, she turns the faucet off, flicks off the light, and goes back into the bedroom.

INT. FELINA'S APARTMENT - BEDROOM

Felina lies back down and sighs, staring up at the ceiling.

FELINA
These nightmares have got to stop. Come on, get a grip on yourself, Felina. You can get through this.

Glowering at the clock, she shoves it off of the bedside table, then rolls over and goes back to sleep. Thunder rumbles outside.
Last edited by Kooshmeister on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Re: Bad Vibrations

Postby MoDaD » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:53 pm

We see a suspicious-looking kat, KUDROW, behind the wheel. How suspicious is he? He has dark sunglasses, a black turtleneck shirt and matching jeans and fingerless gloves. He's got "enemy agent" written all over him.

Does he also wear a top hat, have a twiddle-a-ble mustache, and sport a monocle, too? XD

Trying his level best to ignore them is a lone SECURITY GUARD sitting in a small hut, occasionally glancing up from a battered-looking old paperback of questionable literary value.

At least he's awake - better than most security guards in fiction napping on the job.

He sighs, pockets it, then turns and notices the squirrel. He glowers at it.

I think you should name this the Squirrel Test - a rapid means of establishing a character as the bad guy :D

And, you've got my curiosity piqued - what horrible menace has been discovered underground? And how does that play into Felina's dream (or was it a repressed memory...). I suppose I'll have to wait for the next part to find out.

Also, do you envision this as an actual screenplay that could be used for an episode (and thus have to adhere to an American network's standards and practices related to content limitations, timing, etc.) or do you plan on taking additional liberties?
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:13 pm

MoDaD wrote:Does he also wear a top hat, have a twiddle-a-ble mustache, and sport a monocle, too? XD

No, but I did design him to appear as though he has a shaved head, insofar as a kat can have a shaved head without actually shaving their fur, anyway, the idea being he had hair hair, but shaved it off leaving just the fur underneath. Because Bald of Evil! You can see a drawing of him in my thread in the art section.

And imagining him with a monocle and sunglasses is pretty hilarious.

MoDaD wrote:I think you should name this the Squirrel Test - a rapid means of establishing a character as the bad guy :D

I honestly did it more for comedy than to establish him as evil; him growling at a squirrel to frighten it off was a random idea I had that made me giggle and just wouldn't go away once I'd thought it up, so I had to include it. :lol:

MoDaD wrote:And, you've got my curiosity piqued - what horrible menace has been discovered underground? And how does that play into Felina's dream (or was it a repressed memory...). I suppose I'll have to wait for the next part to find out.

I won't spoil what the menace is, but I can see both it and Felina's nightmares are unrelated. She's simply experiencing bad dreams (something akin to PTSD) from her time as Dark Kat's prisoner in The End of the SWAT Kats!, which this is set after. In developing the basic outline for the first half of this story, I decided it'd be set shortly after that story and that it'd be interesting if Felina was suffering from nightmares because let's face it, she was pretty much mind-raped. As to whether her problems will interfere with her duties as an Enforcer, well, that remains to be seen...

MoDaD wrote:Also, do you envision this as an actual screenplay that could be used for an episode (and thus have to adhere to an American network's standards and practices related to content limitations, timing, etc.) or do you plan on taking additional liberties?

Unlike the self-indulgent excess that is The End of the SWAT Kats!, I'm gonna try and have this be a basic three-act script, as if it were an actual episode of the series. So I'm aiming to make it pretty short. Talky (due to loads of exposition) but short. And as for content, I'll try not to make it too violent (again, unlike The End of the SWAT Kats!).
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:44 pm

EXT. ENFORCER HEADQUARTERS

Felina, dressed in her full uniform, parks her car and goes inside.

INT. ENFORCER HEADQUARTERS - OFFICES

Felina enters what appears to be the squad room for the Enforcers, her helmet tucked under one arm, walking past rows of desks where ENFORCER OFFICERS work dilligently. She gets a curt and respectful nod from each officer as she passes their work area, even if they're involved in something.

It's clear that, slaves to habit and procedure though they are, this is not simply them respecting the uniform: Felina herself is obviously well-liked by almost all of her subordinates, male and female alike, having earned their admiration and respect a thousand times over, proving she isn't simply "the Commander's niece" but a talented and courageous Enforcer in her own right. The wordless greetings are done out of genuine friendliness.

She looks tired and frazzled, though, from her restless night, and only halfheartedly returns the nods and salutes. The other officers look a little concerned. At the end of the row, the desk on the right is occupied by JABLONSKY, who is on the phone. The one on the left is manned by LYMAN, whose arm is in a sling. They, too, greet their commanding officer, Lyman with a little less enthusiasm.

FELINA
How's your arm?

LYMAN
(trying to sound cheerful)
Better and better every day.

FELINA
Well, I hope it heals up soon. Jablonsky is scheduled for patrol duty soon and, well, you two are always together, so if he goes, I know you'll go, too. But if you're not up to it...

LYMAN
(frowns)
I'm up to it.

FELINA
We've all been shot, Lyman. It takes a while to recover. It's okay if you're not fit for duty just yet.
(smiles)
Go home and get some rest.

LYMAN
(disappointed)
Yes, Lieutenant.

She nods and then enters her own office, which is just off the main office area.

INT. ENFORCER HEADQUARTERS - FELINA'S OFFICE

The room is cramped but tidy. It is in fact her uncle's old office from back when he was a lowly lieutenant himself. Large windows with blinds look out where her subordinates are working. Felina shuts the door, drowning out the talking and other "office noises" coming from the main area.

FELINA
(to herself, critical)
That's it, Felina... insist everyone get help but you.

She scrunches her eyes shut.

FELINA
(to herself)
No. You can handle this. Nothing happened to you. Nothing like being shot. He needs to be recovering, you don't.
(repeats this like a mantra)
He needs to be recovering, you don't.

With a sigh, she sits down in her chair, plunking her helmet down on the desk. She puts her elbows on the desk, chin in her hands, and struggles to stay awake.

Suddenly the phone rings, startling her.

FELINA
(yelps)
Aahh!

A few of the officers working outside the window glance up, then resume what they're doing. The phone rings again. She stares at it for a moment as though confused about what in the world it is, then answers it.

FELINA
Lieutenant Feral, Enforcers. How may I help you?

ENITA
(through the phone)
Felina, it's me, Enita Ignimbrite.

FELINA
(surprised)
Enita! How are you?

ENITA
(through the phone)
Listen, I've got a problem I'm hoping you can help me with. Do you know anything about the new geothermal power plant?

Felina frowns, thinking, placing her fingers to her temple, scrunching her eyes closed again.

FELINA
Um...

It comes to her suddenly.

FELINA
Just what I've seen on the news. Why?
(concerned)
Are you having problems?

ENITA
(through the phone)
Sort of...

FELINA
I remember seeing something about protestors. Is it anything to do with them?

ENITA
(through the phone)
That's the thing, I don't know.

There's a knock. Felina covers the mouthpiece of the phone so Enita can't hear and the door opens. Lyman leans in.

LYMAN
Lieutenant--

FELINA
Lyman, I said to go home...

LYMAN
It's not that.

He glances back over his shoulder and looks relieved, then turns back to her.

LYMAN
(quieter)
Just a heads up. The Commander is coming down. He heard you were back in and he's, well... he's Commander Feral. Just thought I'd let you know so you didn't get any nasty surprises.

FELINA
(nods)
Thanks. Dismissed.

Lyman leaves, shutting the door. Felina removes her hand from the phone, resuming her conversation with Enita.

FELINA
Sorry about that. You were saying?

INT. POWER PLANT - ENITA'S OFFICE

Enita Ignimbrite is at her desk. Her office located somewhere in the power plant on an upper floor. A window with the blinds up allows her an excellent view of the main entrance, and, beyond it, the thickly-forested rocky hills and valleys. The volcano looms ever-presently above everything in the distance.

The office is messy, filled with partially unpacked boxes of supplies. Maps and framed degrees decorate the wall. On Enita's enormous desk are a high-powered microscope, magnifying glasses, expensive, delicate-looking electronic equipment of all kinds, bottles, beakers, jars, and rocks of every conceivable shape and size, some in boxes, still more scattered haphazardly over the desk awaiting study and sorting. There's barely room for the telephone Enita is currently using.

ENITA
I can't really talk for much longer, but, well, we've had some workers go missing...

Felina frowns. The first thing on her mind is the Megakat Metallurigical incident.

FELINA
Missing?

ENITA
(through the phone)
Yes.

EXT. ENFORCER HEADQUARTERS - OFFICES

The sound of clomping boots echoing across the floor tiles heralds the arrival of COMMANDER ULYSSES FERAL, baton tucked under one arm. The officers glance over at him.

FERAL
As you were.

Everyone resumes working. Feral frowns upon noticing his niece through the partially open blinds of her office, and stomps towards them. He passes Lyman and looks him up and down.

FERAL
Shouldn't you be off duty?

LYMAN
I'd prefer not to be, sir. Lieutenant Feral says otherwise. She's sending me home for the day.

FERAL
I see. Well, rest up, then. Dismissed.

Lyman walks out, and Feral continues moving like a mighty glacier towards his niece's office.

Felina is still on the phone. She notices her uncle approaching.

FELINA
We may have to wrap this up...

INT. POWER PLANT - ENITA'S OFFICE

ENITA
Same here. In fact, to be honest, I really shouldn't even be talking to you. Miranda Piedra, the one who started this whole project, is adamant about not involving the Enforcers, but my only concern is for the lives of the missing workers.

Feral knocks.

ENITA
(through the phone)
But if you could perhaps come up to the plant and have a look around. Just you, of course.

FELINA
Sure, I think I can do that.

ENITA
(through the phone)
Right, thanks, Felina. I owe you one. Again. Goodbye.

FELINA
Bye.
(hangs up)
Come in!

Feral enters, shutting the door after him.

FELINA
Hello, Uncle, how are things?

FERAL
Hectic. I'm still having trouble getting the new squadron organized. I can't believe I let Briggs talk me into something so insane...
(he sighs)
Who was that?

FELINA
Dr. Ignimbrite out at the new geothermal power plant. She says they're having some problems and she wondered if I could come up and have a look.

FERAL
What kind of problems?

She shrugs.

FELINA
Someone's been sabotaging their equipment. A few of their workers have disappeared.

FERAL
Sounds familiar. Anything else?

FELINA
(frowns)
Apparently her boss wants to avoid any Enforcer involvement, for reasons Ignimbrite wouldn't or couldn't disclose.

FERAL
(grunts, darkly amused)
From what little I can remember, they're at a critical stage, and I believe the Mayor or someone is supposed to be stopping by later. Probably Ignimbrite's boss wants to avoid any negative publicity.
(holds up a finger)
Always very dangerous when someone in charge puts their organization's image above everything else. Remember that, Felina. I've seen it happen countless times and even made that mistake before, myself, and it cost me dearly.

She nods. There's silence for a moment. Finally, Feral speaks his mind.

FERAL
Felina, I'm surprised to see you here. I thought I told you to take some time off.

She shrugs.

FELINA
I feel fine.

FERAL
You don't look like it. You look terrible.

FELINA
(defensive)
I just didn't get much sleep last night.

FERAL
(realizing)
You've been having nightmares again, haven't you...?

She doesn't say anything.

FERAL
(sighs)
Why is it you'll send one of your men home but you won't see to your own wounds?

FELINA
He got shot. I'm fine.

FERAL
(sternly)
Not all wounds are physical, Lieutenant.

She stands, straightening her shoulders.

FELINA
I'm perfectly capable of performing my duties as an Enforcer, sir.

Feral stands up straighter now, arms behind his back, tapping his foot. He doesn't look convinced. Nevertheless, it's clear he has faith in his niece.

FERAL
Very well, Lieutenant. But I want you to think about seeing the department psychiatrist.

Felina bristles at this.

FELINA
I don't need to see a head shrinker.

FERAL
Felina...

FELINA
Unless you make it an order, Uncle, I'm not doing it.

Feral sighs, rolling his eyes.

FERAL
Fine, fine, fine. But at the first sign that your problems are interfering with your ability to perform as an Enforcer, I will make it an order. Is that understood, Lieutenant?

She nods.

FERAL
Good. Now, about this geothermal power plant thing. You said the person in charge up there didn't want us to stick our noses in?

FELINA
I got the feeling Ignimbrite went over her boss' head when she called me.

FERAL
Hmm. Well, I don't care what her boss wants. A crime has been reported to us. If Ignimbrite thinks it was worth going over her boss' head to report this to us, then it's worth looking into. So get up there, Lieutenant, and see if you can find anything out.

FELINA
Yes, Uncle.

He turns to leave, pausing with his hand on the doorknob.

FERAL
And Felina? Remember what I said about putting image before safety.

He leaves. Felina sighs and sits back down. After a moment, he stands up again, grabs her helmet, and walks out.

INT. MEGAKAT NUCLEAR PLANT - MANAGER'S OFFICE

Nuclear power plant owner CHUCK DENIT stands looking out the window. Kudrow and the muscular PLANT MANAGER stand to one side. Denit is big and brawny and very intimidating looking and looks out of place in his expensive business suit, chewing one end of a large cigar.

DENIT
That was sloppy. Very sloppy.

KUDROW
I'm sorry, sir. But when he spotted me, I had to run or risk getting caught.

Denit whips around, one eyebrow raised.

DENIT
And now I'm hearing that some of their workers have gone missing.
(curious)
Tell me you didn't--

KUDROW
No, I didnt. I don't know what happened to them.

Denit takes his cigar out of his mouth and taps it on the rim of an antique ashtray on a huge desk, bare but for the ashtray, a halogen lamp and a computer with a flatscreen monitor. The office is very sleek, spartan and futuristic in contrast to the homely, earthy clutter of Enita's office over at the other power plant. It actually belongs to the manager, but when Denit is visiting, he pretty much takes it over. The ashtray is his exclusively, provided as a courtesy, since the manager doesn't smoke, as evidenced by his intermittent coughing from the clouds of smoke pouring off the end of his employer's cigar. He eases himself into the, plush leather armchair, stilling twiddling the cigar between thumb and forefinger.

PLANT MANAGER
(between coughs)
What are we going to do?

DENIT
What else? We're going to have another go at it. I will not have anyone threatening my power plants' future here in Megakat City!
(he eyes Kudrow)
And this time, there won't be any mistakes.

KUDROW
Yes sir.
(worried)
What if I get spotted again? They're bound to have doubled security.

Denit takes a long, slow drag off of his cigar, then exhales smoke.

DENIT
This time, nothing is off the table, do you understand? I don't care what it takes. Make sure that plant does not meet its schedule.

He violently stubs the cigar out in the ashtray, snuffing it out. Kudrow and the plant manager look at one another, frowning, then back at their boss.

KUDROW
Yes, sir, Mr. Denit, you can count on me.
3 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Felina herself is obviously well-liked by almost all of her subordinates, male and female alike, having earned their admiration and respect a thousand times over, proving she isn't simply "the Commander's niece" but a talented and courageous Enforcer in her own right. The wordless greetings are done out of genuine friendliness.

That's an interesting approach - which is somewhat unique in SWAT Kats fan fiction. Most fics I've read (and I'm guilty of this, too) take the opposite approach, and position Felina as a kind of pseudo-rebel who is at best tolerated by her peers.

No. You can handle this. Nothing happened to you. Nothing like being shot. He needs to be recovering, you don't.
(repeats this like a mantra)
He needs to be recovering, you don't.

Once again, another approach I'd consider opposite to the norm - portraying her in a more vulnerable light. I suppose even tough characters aren't superhuman (err, feline, I guess) after all.

The office is messy, filled with partially unpacked boxes of supplies. Maps and framed degrees decorate the wall. On Enita's enormous desk are a high-powered microscope, magnifying glasses, expensive, delicate-looking electronic equipment of all kinds, bottles, beakers, jars, and rocks of every conceivable shape and size, some in boxes, still more scattered haphazardly over the desk awaiting study and sorting. There's barely room for the telephone Enita is currently using.

I'm not an artist or animator, but if I was, coming up with drawn set pieces or models would be easier with this kind of specific detail.
Always very dangerous when someone in charge puts their organization's image above everything else. Remember that, Felina. I've seen it happen countless times and even made that mistake before, myself, and it cost me dearly.

I do wonder if he'd make that kind of statement in the presence of the Deputy Mayor or any other of his subordinates.

Very well, Lieutenant. But I want you to think about seeing the department psychiatrist.

If there's one thing LEOs (law enforcement officers) dislike more than criminals it's that :) That stuff can get permanently attached to your record, after all.

What else? We're going to have another go at it. I will not have anyone threatening my power plants' future here in Megakat City!
(he eyes Kudrow)
And this time, there won't be any mistakes.

Why do I get the feeling that Megakat City's future is likely jeopardized instead? :)
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:13 pm

MoDaD wrote:That's an interesting approach - which is somewhat unique in SWAT Kats fan fiction. Most fics I've read (and I'm guilty of this, too) take the opposite approach, and position Felina as a kind of pseudo-rebel who is at best tolerated by her peers.

While it is clear that Felina does have a rebellious streak in her and often disobeys orders, I've never once assumed she was disliked by her fellow Enforcers. Nor did the show ever so much as suggest such a thing. While I did assume her being Feral's niece might make her unopular at first (due to nepotism and all), as described above, I figured her ability to do her job and be a credit to the Enforcers, rebellious attitude or not, would've earned the loyalty and respect of her subordinates.

As for how other fanfics depict her, eh, I guess most people just prefer she be basically just a SWAT Kat in an Enforcer's uniform, but there's not much I can do about that.

MoDaD wrote:Once again, another approach I'd consider opposite to the norm - portraying her in a more vulnerable light. I suppose even tough characters aren't superhuman (err, feline, I guess) after all.

Worth noting is that this wasn't in the original idea for the story. But when I decided to have it set after The End of the SWAT Kats!, I thought it'd be interesting to see Felina still recovering from her ordeal in that adventure. So I've sort of clunkily worked it in, even tying it loosely to the theme of ignoring a problem for the sake of appearances.

MoDaD wrote:I do wonder if he'd make that kind of statement in the presence of the Deputy Mayor or any other of his subordinates.

Most likely not. I just figured he'd be more open and honest with Felina in a way he couldn't be with anyone else.

MoDaD wrote:If there's one thing LEOs (law enforcement officers) dislike more than criminals it's that :) That stuff can get permanently attached to your record, after all.

I'm aware. But mental health is a serious issue, and, her initial resistance to the idea aside, I'd rather Felina not be the type to put image before performance and pretend nothing is wrong. If the subplot with her having what amounts to PTSD is about anything, it's about the importance of mental health and how it isn't weak to admit you have problems. Call it an author tract if you will, but I feel it's an important issue.

MoDaD wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Megakat City's future is likely jeopardized instead? :)

Isn't it always...?
1 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11 pm

EXT. POWER PLANT - MAIN GATE

Felina Feral's Enforcer cruiser drives along a winding road towards the main gate of the facility, where the amount of protesters is less than it was previously. Most of the hippies and the intellectual types have vacated, leaving only the employees from the nuclear plant and the group being led by the science teacher, being led in chants against the "job-killing" geothermal plant by the burly off-duty foreman.

FOREMAN
(yelling through his bullhorn)
They say this new plant is gonna create jobs, but they've already got all the techies and workers they need here! So when our plant gets put outta business and we come crawlin' on our bellies beggin' for a job, guess what? They're gonna turn us away!

A few of the protesters turn and watch as the Enforcer cruiser drives up. The foreman casts a suspicious eye, but when Felina drives past them and it becomes clear she isn't there for them, his rant resumes anew. The science teacher has a few choice rebuttals.

SCIENCE TEACHER
(also yelling through a bullhorn)
Atomic energy is dangerous and unpredictable! Geothermal power is the future! It's safer and better, and doesn't produce anything dangerous that some power-mad criminal will want to steal!

FOREMAN
(yelling)
But what about our jobs?

There are hollers of agreement. The shouting begins anew. A few of the protesters rush at each other.

FOREMAN
(yelling)
Stop that! Stop it, all of you...!

SCIENCE TEACHER
(yelling)
No violence, no violence!

As they struggle to get their respective groups under control, Felina's car pulls up to the closed main gate. We see that extra security has been added: there are more SECURITY GUARDS. A few of them rush to try and bring the fighting protesters to heel, while one, doing his best to act nonchalant, sidles up to the driver's side window of Felina's cruiser. She glances over at the bickering protesters and the guards attempting to keep the peace, then rolls her window down.

GUARD
Hi, how ya doin'?

FELINA
I've had better days.

The guard glances over his shoulder.

GUARD
Yeah, me too.

He turns back to her.

GUARD
State your business.

She hands him her ID card.

FELINA
Lieutenant Felina Feral, Enforcers. I'm here to see Dr. Ignimbrite.

GUARD
Hold on for a second while I check this out.

He takes the ID card and goes into his hut. Felina sighs and fidgets in her seat. She squeezes her eyes shut and rubs the bridge of her nose, clearly bothered by all the yelling going on nearby. She looks close to getting out and going to bust some heads, herself, when the guard returns and hands her card back to her.

GUARD
Okay, your ID checks out, Lieutenant. Go through the gate and just keep followin' the main road until you see the main building. Ya can't miss it.

FELINA
Thanks.

There's a buzzing noise and the gate slides open. Felina drives through. The gate closes behind her. The guard who admitted her turns and watches as his comrades finally get the two groups of protesters separated, with stern warnings all around.

EXT. POWER PLANT

Felina drives into a large ashphalt parking lot filled with employees' cars. Finding a space, she parks. Getting out of her car, she frowns up at the two-story building before her, a mostly windowless crime againsr architecture, all square edges and corrugated steel siding. At either end of the compound are two huge transmission towers like the one seen in the valley. There's also a VIP helipad, although it's currently unoccupied.

Felina enters the building's courtyard. There's a beautiful fountain outside the front entrance, but this is the only nod towards decoration of any kind. The ubiquitous geode emblem is on a sign above the automatic sliding doors marking the way into the front lobby. Geological Society vehicles sit in neat, orderly rows in reserved parking spaces to either side, Jeeps to the left, vans to the right.

Felina heads inside.

Entering, Felina shows her ID to a guard stationed at the door, who admits her. She's then greeted by Enita. The control room personnel look up from their duties.

ENITA
It's good to see you again, Felina.

FELINA
You too.

They shake hands.

ENITA
How are you...?

FELINA
I've been better.

She seems eager to avoid idle chit-chat.

FELINA
Let's get right to it.

ENITA
All right. Where would you like to start?

FELINA
Where did the workers go missing?

Enita nods, and walks over to the central console, where Stan sits in a swivel chair that seems comically too small for him. She slaps him on the back.

ENITA
Bring up Substation 9, would you, Stan?

BIG STAN
Comin' up.

He presses some buttons and an image of the construction site in the clearing from before comes up. There's no audio. They watch as the workers finish setting up the drill.

ENITA
They went missing there. That's where we'll be drilling the ninth of our geothermal shafts. As you can see, they're just finishing construction on the drill.

FELINA
Okay, then, let's go down there and have a look.

ENITA
Come on, we'll take my Jeep, and I'll fill you in on the way.

They turn and head out. Stan swivels 'round in his chair to watch them go. He's still processing the fact Enita brought in an Enforcer without consulting Miranda.

ENITA
(calling back)
Hold down the fort for me, okay?

BIG STAN
You got it.

One of the technicians, MUNRO, walks over.

MUNRO
She brought in an Enforcer?

BIG STAN
That volcano out there isn't gonna have anything on Miranda once she finds out.

EXT. ROAD

Enita's Jeep drives at a leisurely pace down the rough, unpaved road leading through the forest to their destination. Every so often they'll pass a turnoff with a sign identifying a shaft number. They pass Shafts 1-6 in short order. For a while, their ride proceeds in silence. They drive past the turnoff to Shaft 7. Felina looks bored out of her mind.

FELINA
How much further is it?

ENITA
(explaining)
A little ways. Each geothermal shaft extends outward from the main base towards the foothills, getting closer and closer to the volcano.

FELINA
Shaft 9, the one you're drilling now, that's the one closest to the volcano?

ENITA
Exactly.

Felina nods and looks ahead through the the dusty windshield of the Jeep. The ride proceeds in silence once again.

ENITA
(grinning)
Well, aren't you going to ask me...?

Felina turns and looks at her.

FELINA
Ask you what?

ENITA
How geothermal power works?

FELINA
I remember getting a crash course about it back when I was aboard...

She trails off, frowning. She closes her eyes, and places a hand over to her forehead. She looks suddenly sweaty and nervous. Enita glances over at her, concerned, before returning her eyes to the road. It passes and Felina opens her eyes again.

FELINA
(as though sighing in relief)
When I was aboard Dark Kat's ship. As I recall, it ran off of geothermal power.

ENITA
(nods)
A very recklessly primitive, ad-hoc version of it, yes. But the Geological Society's approach is far less dangerous.

The Jeep rumbles past a turnoff marked for Shaft 8. Not much further now. Suddeenly Enita sees something and pulls to the side of he road, stopping.

FELINA
What is it...?

ENITA
(puzzled)
That big boulder. I've never seen it before.

An enormous boulder sits practically ride by the road in full view. Enita begins to get out to go examine it. One foot touches the ground. The boulder trembles slightly. Felina calls impatiently to her friend, and Enita, half in and half out of the vehicle, turns to look at her, consequently not seeing the rock's subtle movement.

FELINA
So? It's just a big rock.

ENITA
I know this place pretty well, and...

She sighs, and gets back in.

ENITA
Nevermind, I'll take a look later.

They drive off. After they're gone, the rock begins moving again. It seems to split apart in several places and come apart. But as the sound of Jeep recedes, it shudders and pulls itself back together, settling down again. Up ahead, Felina and Enita approach the sign for Shaft 9 and pull into the clearing.

EXT. CLEARING

We can see that, emphatically, the big rock that Hobbs bumped against during that dark and stormy night earlier is no longer there, although it's left a big depression in the earth. There's a flurry of activity in the bright sunshine. The big drill is operational, pointing downward, the screw-shaped front end boring into the earth, operated by workers under the supervision of technicians. Construction of other outbuildings is ongoing, excavators digging the holes for their foundations. Kyle the supervisor can be seen walking around, yelling at his crews and gesturing at blueprints.

Enita's Jeep slides to a stop over by the supervisor's hut alongside a utility truck with a ladder on top and an attached trailer, and the two she-kats get out. Felina strides forward and takes in the scene before before, hands on her hips. Enita is still explaining how their geothermal process works, although she has to yell over the loud noise of the work and the drill.

ENITA
(yelling)
We drill down deep into the ground until we've found rocks that've been superheated by molten lava. That's why we built so close to the volcano. Two pipes go down the shaft. The injection pipe pumps water down.

She gestures downwards towards the ground with her hand.

ENITA
(yelling)
This hits the hot rocks and creates steam, which rises through the output pipe.

Palms turned up, she slowly raises both hands up in the air in front of herself to demonstrate.

ENITA
(yelling)
And this steam drives a turbine which is situated at the top of the shaft, or wellhead.

She gestures over at said turbine, sitting in a protective metal frame underneath a clear plastic tarp, awaiting installation once the shaft has finished being dug.

FELINA
(yelling)
I think I got it!

The drill continues on, making the ground shake.

EXT. ROAD

The boulder by the side of the road starts to stir once again. And this time, it doesn't show any signs of stopping.

EXT. STEAMY VALLY

Even here, we can hear the sound of the drill. The ground shakes. Small rocks and pebbles bounce up and down like Mexican jumping beans. There are two large boulders that weren't there before. They quake ominously and begin to move on their own, not from the powerful vibrations being caused by the distant drill.

INT. STEAM CAVES

Amidst the muffled roar of the falls, the drill's vibrations can be heard, and seen, even here. The walls vibrate, stalactites shudders and drop from the ceiling, some shattering upon the floor, other dropping soundlessly into the enormous crevice that opened before. We hear growling coming from down inside, and a moment later, a huge stone hand attached to a powerful-looking arm shoots up and grabs the edge of the crack, digging its sharp-looking fingers in.

EXT. CLEARING

The drill continues working, and Felina is having difficulty talking. She covers the earpieces of her helmet and yells over the noise at Enita.

FELINA
(yelling)
Listen, can you do me a favor? They need to stop working! For one thing, I can't conduct an investigation with so much noise going on! And for another, it's an active crime scene!

ENITA
(talking normally, to herself)
Ooh, Miranda's not going to like that...

FELINA
(yelling)
What was that? I didn't hear you!

ENITA
(yelling louder)
I said, I was thinking the same thing, but Dr. Piedra isn't going to like it!
(yelling over)
Kyle!

Kyle, glancing over, holds one hand to his ear to indicate that he can't hear her. Enita waves her arms and draws her hand across her throat in a "cutoff" gesture. Getting the idea, Kyle goes over and has a talk with the lead technician. They argue for a minute but eventually the drill is switched off. It emits an almost disappointed whining sound as it slowly stops spinning, having drilled about sixty feet deep.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

The distant rumble of the drill fades away. Both of the boulder-like objects, however, are gone.

EXT. POWER PLANT

The whupping sound of rotor blades fills the air as the executive helicopter from before flies in.

Big Stan reclines in his swivel chair as he watches Felina and Enita at the Shaft 9 construction site ordering the drill shut down. Technician Munro comes over.

MUNRO
Hey, Stan, inbound chopper. Registration M230CA.

BIG STAN
(realizing)
Aw, crud.

He turns and watches on a viewscreen as the copters lowers down onto a helipad.

EXT. POWER PLANT

The rotor blades slowly wind down as Miranda gets out on one side, and LICKBOOT on the other. Lickboot is Miranda's male secretary and he's, well, a lickboot. He's dressed in a rich person's idea of "outdoorsy" attire: a tan business suit jacket, striped tie, khaki shorts and loafers without socks. He's carrying a black briefcase.

As the two descend from the helipad and head towards the main entrance, Mirands notices Felina's Enforcer cruiser in the parking lot and scowls angrily.

EXT. SUBSTATION 9

Most of the workers have left. At the moment only Enita and a somewhat annoyed-looking Kyle are standing around watching as Felina walks around, exploring. She seems particularly interested in the bulldozer Archie was working on, which, of course, has since been moved and had its hood closed. She stands on the enormous exposed treads.

FELINA
He was working on this?

ENITA
Yes, Archie stayed a little later than usual to fix something he thought was wrong with it and it was found with the hood up, the engine only partially repaired. Our assumption was whatever happened to him occurred when he was in the middle of fixing it.

Nodding, Felina opens the hood. The engine has since been fully repaired.

FELINA
And the other worker?

ENITA
Hobbs. We were short on security, so he was in the supervisor's hut over there.

Felina shuts the hood and hops down from the dozer.

FELINA
Security to protect from sabotage, right?

Enita nods.

FELINA
Was he armed...?

ENITA
Yes. With a laser rifle.

Felina hmms and continues walking, occasionally stooping down and looking at the ground. She rises, continues walking, and eventually comes to the depression in the ground where the huge rock sat, squatting down and examining it.

FELINA
What's this?

Enita walks over.

ENITA
I've no idea. Kyle?

KYLE
It's nothing we dug.

Felina continues examining the hole.

ENITA
Well, have you developed any theories...?

FELINA
A couple. My main one right now is that they caught your saboteur in the act. Probably chased him. To where, though, I don't know.

ENITA
But what happened to them after that?

Felina stands up, hands on her hips.

FELINA
That I don't know, either. But if the saboteur was armed, it might've ended badly for them.

Enita frowns, looking upset.

ENITA
We searched the woods as thoroughly as we could.

Felina strokes her chin, trying to envision what might've happened.

FELINA
There was a big storm that night, right? If they were injured and too far from the construction site to make it back, where would they seek shelter?

Enita shrugs.

ENITA
I don't know. The old steam caves, maybe...

A technician, LOUIS, emerges from the supervisor's hut.

LOUIS
Dr. Ignimbrite! It's central control, they want to talk you you!

ENITA
Hang on a second.

She goes into the hut. A few moments later, she reappears, looking flustered and enraged.

ENITA
(to herself)
Son of a--!!!
(to Felina)
I've got to return to base. It seems I'm in trouble. A lot of trouble.

FELINA
If it's that boss of yours, be sure and tell her that if it turns out something did happen to those workers, she could be the one who ends up in trouble because she didn't report it.

ENITA
Or better yet, you could tell her that yourself.

FELINA
No, I'd like to stay here if that's all right. I want to continue poking around here some more.

Enita nods, and then runs over to her Jeep. She hops in, fires up the motor, and drives off. Felina walks over to Kyle.

FELINA
How well do you know this area?

KYLE
(frowning)
Um, pretty well, I guess. I mean, I'm no geologist but...

FELINA
Do you know where these steam caves are?

He scratches underneath his hardhat and nods.

KYLE
Yeah.

He yells over to LOUIS, a technician doing something by the drill.

KYLE
Hey, Louis, get some flashlights!

EXT. ROAD

Enita drives along, then slams on her brakes, staring off to her left in surprise. The boulder that she saw earlier isn't there anymore! She blinks and shakes her head, then speeds off.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

We hear the sound of an approaching vehicle engine and a familiar-looking Jeep drives up along the embankment along the opposite side of the fence. Kudrow is back. This time, he has a holstered laser pistol at his side. Stopping his Jeep in the concealment of some bushes, he goes and hops the fence.

EXT. FOREST

Kudrow walks through the woods. Pausing, he retrieves his dropped bag from where he'd left it previous, and then once more hears the sound of something enormous and powerful moving through the trees. He freezes. He squints through the lenses of his sunglasses, but even during the daytime, the forest is so thick that he can't see what it is. The sounds move off to the left, in the general direction of the construction site.

Now he hears new sounds. Kats. He ducks into some bushes and hides as Felina, Kyle and Louis walk through the woods towards him. Felina and Kyle have flashlights. Louis, bringing up the rear, is armed with a laser rifle, giving the trio two weapons among themselves. His hand goes to the gun on his hip, but then he notices Felina's holstered sidearm and Louis' rifle.

KUDROW
(whispering)
Crud.

He removes his hand from the butt of his weapon. The three walk past where he's hiding without noticing him. After they're gone, he jumps up and rushes along through the woods towards his destination.

Unaware of his presence, Felina and the others continue, coming to the edge of the forest where it gives up to the valley, they stand at the top, and then start down the gently-sloping embankment towards their destination: the cave at the opposite end.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

Felina, Kyle and Louis stand at the entrance of the cave.

LOUIS
Why do we wanna go in there, again?

FELINA
If I were injured during a storm, where would I seek refuge?

LOUIS
Yeah, but--

FELINA
Let me guess, nobody goes in them anymore?

KYLE
Some of the workers say they're haunted.

FELINA
Of course they do. Well, then, let's go.

She heads inside. Louis holds his rifle a little tighter.

LOUIS
But it might be dangerous.

Felina turns and smirks at him.

FELINA
Missing workers and underground monsters? I've done this dance before.

KYLE
Monsters, who said anything about monsters?

FELINA
(grim)
Call it a hunch.

LOUIS
(sarcastic)
Spectacular. We'd better get overtime for this...

Felina continues inside, Kyle and Louis following her in.

INT. STEAM CAVES

The three of them enter the huge cave and start exploring amidst the steady, muffled rumbling sound that echoes harmoniously throughout the entire cavern. It's hot and steamy, a thin mist of warm vapor permeating the interior, and all three of them begin sweating. They shine their lights at the ground, searching in and among rocks and crevices, but don't find anything yet. The trio continues searching, heading gradually deeper inside. Kyle attempts to pass the time playing tour guide.

KYLE
Hear that rumbling noise? That's the waterfall on the other side of the ridge. You can hear it even through all these millions of tons of rock. Neat, huh?

FELINA
(mildly annoyed)
Yeah, fascinating...

She adjusts her helmet as sweat trickles down the sides of her face, he uniform stifling. She resists a sudden urge to start taking her armor off, and settles for removing the helmet. She sighs, sticking the flashlight in her mouth pulling both gloves off, stuffing them into her pants pocket. Then she pulls the helmet off and wipes her sweaty brow, breathing a sigh of modest relief around the flashlight sticking out of her mouth.

FELINA
(muffled around the flashlight)
Now I know what they call them the steam caves.

KYLE
(not understanding her)
Huh...?

Felina takes the flashlight out of her mouth and repeats herself.

FELINA
I said now I know what they call them the steam caves.

Kyle, who's showing sweat stains under the arms of his shirt, chuckles in sympathy and loosens his tie. He tips his hardhat back with his thumb.

KYLE
Yeah, this place really is miserable.

FELINA
Find anything...?

He shakes his head no. She sighs. Suddenly, up ahead, Louis yells out.

LOUIS
Hey, guys, over here!

They start towards him.

FELINA
What is it?

LOUIS
This.

With the barrel of his rifle, he nudges a battered orange hardhat into view. There's small brownish specks that look a lot like dried blood on it.

FELINA
Oh...

Turning, Louis cups one hand over his mouth and hollers into the depths of the cave.

LOUIS
Archie! Hobbs! Are you there?

FELINA
(shushing him)
Quiet!

LOUIS
(annoyed)
What for? Echoes don't kill people.

FELINA
But cave-ins do! Now spread out and see if you can find something else.

He nods and the trio moves deeper into the cave. Suddenly, Louis cries out. He stops abruptly at the edge of the huge crack in the cave floor, and keeping a tight hold of his gun, waves his arms frantically in an effort to keep himself balanced and avoid pitching face-first down into the abyss. Felina drops her helmet and flashlight as she and Kyle run over to help him. Felina reaches him first and grabs his collar. Kyle, also discarding his flashlight, grabs his belt. They haul him backwards and all three steady themselves, panting.

LOUIS
What the heck is that? That wasn't here before!

FELINA
It must be recent.

KYLE
Any idea how deep it is?

Experimentally, Felina picks up a rock and throws it in. They listen. They don't hear it strike bottom.

KYLE
You mean to tell me this thing is bottomless?

FELINA
It looks that way. And I think it might explain where your friends went.

Louis is angry.

LOUIS
But what about the--

FELINA
I dunno. I'll have to get a team in here to go over it top to bottom. Or bottomless, as the case may be.

Kyle and Louis exchange glances. Felina grabs her helmet and flashlight.

KYLE
What about Dr. Piedra?

FELINA
(defensively)
I don't care what your boss thinks. As far as I'm concerned, this is out of her hands. It's an Enforcer matter now. Come on, we should get moving and tell Dr. Ignimbrite about this, and I need to get back so I can call Commander Feral.

Kyle nods. Grabbing his flashlight, he follows Felina out. Louis lingers, staring at the huge hole, then after a moment he trudges after them.
Last edited by Kooshmeister on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:29 pm

I confess several bits are heavily influenced by Jurassic World (particularly the "hiding under a vehicle" bit), but I've made sure that most of them, at least, have different outcomes.

EDIT: Made some changes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EXT. CLEARING

Kudrow emerges from the woods, panting, looking like he really wishes he hadn't worn an all-black outfit on a sunny day. The construction site, he sees, is deserted. He grins, looking around at everything like a kid in a candy store. His eyes settle upon the the drill and he heads right to it, unzipping his bag as he goes.

EXT. POWER PLANT

Enita's Jeep comes screaming into the parking lot and she doesn't even bother with a parking space. She simply drives right up to the building and screeches to a halt, nearly hitting it. Cutting the motor, she gets out, slamming the door loudly, and runs up a flight of stairs leading up to a side door on the second floor, an alternate way into the control room for employees only.

Miranda paces like a caged predator, her high heels clicking noisily on the polished floor. She's clearly angry, tail lashing back and forth. The side door is flung open, and Enita enters.

ENITA
Okay, what's so important you needed to call me away from some important business to--

MIRANDA
(interrupting)
I said no Enforcers! You went behind my back!

Enita clenches her fists at her sides, starting to get angry.

ENITA
Miranda, you said we had to work together...

MIRANDA
Not by bringing in the Enforcers!

ENTA
You've got a major problem here. And I think you're willfully ignoring it.

Stan is sitting turned to face the arguing trio.

BIG STAN
Come on, Miranda, what could it hurt? I mean, we do need to get to the bottom of this...

MIRANDA
You keep out of this! Go back to staring at your computer screens!

Stan frowns and swivels around to do just that, muttering angrily. Enita turns towards her boss.

ENITA
Stan's right. Miranda, listen, the longer this goes on, the more the project is in danger.

LICKBOOT
(piping up)
We've given you the extra guards you requested, at great expense, I might add.

ENITA
They haven't turned up anything we didn't already know. We need an Enforcer. Someone who knows what to look for and what to do when they've found it.

Miranda goes and speaks quietly with Lickboot for a moment. They whisper fiercely back and forth. Finally, she turns and walks back over.

MIRANDA
Fine. But no more Enforcers.

Enita nods and turns to go.

MIRANDA
And you stay here. But I want her gone and that drill up and running again by four o'clock, do you hear me?

To illustrate his employer's point, Lickboot scowls and holds up one arm, displaying his wristwatch. He points at it and narrows his eyes.

ENITA
(aghast)
That's barely enough time to get anything done!

Miranda shrugs indifferently.

MIRANDA
Take it or leave it.

ENITA
(forcibly polite)
Whatever you say, Doctor.

EXT. CLEARING

Kudrow emerges from the supervisor's hut, zipping his bag up. Smirking, quite pleased with himself, he starts back.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

Felina, Kyle and Louis emerge from the cave, switching their flashlights off. Louis trudges ahead, annoyed, as Felina remains at the entrance to confer with Kyle, handing him her flashlight.

FELINA
What's his problem?

KYLE
The missing guys were friends of his.

FELINA
(nods in understanding)
I see. It's never good losing a friend.

Ahead, Kudrow descends the embankment and is immediately spotted by Louis. He freezes. Louis, seeing him, raises his laser rifle.

LOUIS
Hey, you! Don't move! Drog the bag, drop it!

Reluctantly, Kudrow complies, lifting his hands and allowing the duffel bag's shoulder strag to slide off, letting it thunk to the ground. Felina and Kyle come running up.

FELINA
Calm down! What's going on?

LOUIS
I caught this guy sneaking around.

Seeing Kudrow's holstered gun, Felina drops her helmet once again and unholsters her sidearm, standing beside Louis in pointing his weapon at the intruder. She sees the gun in Kudrow's holster.

FELINA
Take the weapon out and throw it down!

Kudrow complies. The pistol hits the dirt.

FELINA
Kick it away.

He does so and it lands a few feet off to the left.

FELINA
Hands on your head.

This he doesn't do. Frowning, Felina comes over, grabs him by the turtleneck and spins him around. She preads his legs and gives him the ol' up and down, but he's clean. She searches his pockets. She finds a cell phone but no wallet or ID. She tosses the phone down by the bag. She jerks him around and makes him put his hands on his head, and makes a point of taking off and throwing away his sunglasses so she can see his eyes. Then she steps back and keeps her gun pointed at him.

FELINA
What are you doing here?

KUDROW
Sightseeing.

LOUIS
He's lying! He's probably the guy who's been sabotagin' our equipment!

Grabbing the duffel bag, Felina checks inside it. Rope, explosive charges, bolt cutters, wire clippers and a variety of other odds and ends.

FELINA
A good guess. He's got quite a little hobby kit in here.

She zips the bag back up slings it over her shoulder, picking the phone up and examining it. Louis jabs at Kudrow with the end of his rifle.

LOUIS
He may even be the one who killed Archie and Hobbs!

KYLE
We don't know that! They fell into a hole!

LOUIS
Then how do you explain the blood we found on that construction hardhat, man?

Kyle shuffles his feet, not having an answer.

KUDROW
I had nothin' to do with whatever happened to those guys, and that's all I'm sayin' until I get a lawyer.

Felina interjects.

FELINA
Cool it, everyone! We'll just contact your base like we originally planned to. Where can we do that from?

Kyle glances over at the transmission tower.

KYLE
There's a callbox over there.

He walks over to it.

LOUIS
If he hasn't sabotaged it.

He jabs at Kudrow with his gun.

FELINA
(to Louis)
Cut that out!
(to Kudrow)
And you, come with me!

She grabs Kudrow's sleeve and drags him along as she follows Kyle, Louis trailing after. At the tower, Kyle sets both flashlights aside and uses a key to unlock the box attached to one of the struts, opening it to reveal a telephone inside. He takes the receiver off the hook and inputs a six-digit security code rather than dialing a number, giving him a direct line to the control room.

The phone on Stan's desk rings. He answers it.

BIG STAN
Hello?

KYLE
(through the phone)
Substation 9 supervisor here, Stan.

BIG STAN
This is control. That you, Kyle?

KYLE
(through the phone)
Yeah, listen, is the Doc there...?

BIG STAN
Sure, she's right here.

He hands the receiver over to Enita. Miranda mills around behind them, hands clasped behind her back, scowling.

ENITA
Ignimbrite here. What's going on?

KYLE
(through the phone)
We just checked out the steam caves and, well, I better let Lieutenant Feral tell you. Here.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

Felina has set the bag and telephone along with her helmet onto one of the big metal equipment boxes and returned her gun to its holster. Kyle turns and hands her the phone. Nearby, Kudrow is being guarded by Louis, who is holding his rifle at the ready, but not exactly pointing it at the prisoner.

FELINA
Doctor? It's Lieutenant Feral. I think we may have found out what happened to your missing workers. It seems like I was right about them seeking shelter in that cave... only it looks like they fell into a big hole.

Enita looks puzzled.

ENITA
A hole...?

FELINA
(through the phone)
Yes. There's a huge fissure in there. Pretty deep, too, by the looks of it.

ENITA
That's impossible. There are no fissures in that cave. I mapped it out myself.

FELINA
(through the phone)
Well, there is now. Your worker Louis almost fell into it.

ENITA
I see. I suppose that would explain the tremors I experienced the day the workers went missing.

FELINA
(through the phone)
There's another thing.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

Felina looks over at the captured Kudrow.

FELINA
Louis caught someone. An intruder. He won't give us his name. We've got him with us now.

ENITA
(through the phone)
Then he must be the one who's been saboting our equipment!

FELINA
That's what Louis thinks.

Kudrow fidgets. Louis is beginning to pay more attention to Felina's end of the phone conversation than he is to his prisoner, and the captured saboteur has begun to notice.

ENITA
(through the phone)
Do you think he may have had anything to do with--

FELINA
(cutting her off)
I'm not sure. He claims he didn't. But we did find one of their hardhats near the fissure, and it wasn't just dropped there, it was all sort of battered up looking.

Enita sighs, looking saddened.

FELINA
(through the phone)
I'm not concluding anything until I've gotten him somewhere where I can question him properly. But if you ask me, it looks pretty cut and dried.

ENITA
All right. Thanks, Felina. Although this didn't turn out the way I hoped...

FELINA
(through the phone)
...an answer is still an answer.

ENITA
Right. Listen, put Kyle back on, would you?

FELINA
(through the phone)
Sure.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

Felina turns and offers Kyle the phone.

FELINA
She wants to talk to you.

KYLE
Thanks.

He brings the receiver to his ear. We only hear his end of the conversation through.

KYLE
Yes, Doctor? Uh-huh. Right.

Suddenly the ground trembles slightly.

KYLE
Yeah we'll head back and--

Suddenly, Kudrow takes his hands off of the top of his head and lunges forward. He shoves Louis.

LOUIS
Hey!

He goes stumbling back, but doesn't fall over. Even as Felina is turning in response, Kudrow grabs both his cell phone and the duffel bag off of the crate and makes a run for it. Louis manages to regain his balance. Still on the phone, Kyle glances over, surprised.

LOUIS
Hey, you! Come back here!

Kudrow starts for the fence, then thinks better of trying to climb while being shot at, and instead bolts towards the woods. Louis aims his rifle at the fleeing saboteur's back. He hesitates but doesn't fire.

LOUIS
Come back here!

Needless to say, Kudrow doesn't listen. Disappears into the woods. With an annoyed grunt, Louis chases off after him.

FELINA
Wait a second!

Drawing her pistol, she rushes off after him, forgetting her helmet. Kyle yells after her.

KYLE
Hey...!

ENITA
(through the phone)
What's going on?

KYLE
Uh, we got a situation, call you back!

He hangs up and then closes and hastily re-locks the callbox. He turns and runs after Felina, in his haste forgetting that he left the keys in the lock. He's halfway down the valley before realizing his error, and goes back for them. By the time he's retrieved them and resumed running after the others, he's lagging seriously behind.

Enita hangs up the phone.

ENITA
Get me the security camera for Substation 9!

Stan presses some buttons, bringing a number of different screens. One shows a fiew of the valley. Kyle races along. Another shows a view of the woods, where those in the control room can just catch a glimpse of Kudrow racing by pursued by Felina and Louis. Then Stan notices something on a third monitor. A ROCK MONSTER, appearing as an enormous, lumbering shape is stomping through the clearing.

BIG STAN
(startled)
What the heck is that?!

Enita, busy watching the second monitor showing the chase through the woods, glances over. Everyone begins crowding around Stan's work station to see. Someone screams.

MIRANDA
(to the screamer)
Shut up!

She shoves her way through the small crowd and looks at the screen, frowning.

ENITA
(horrified)
It's... it's some kind of monster!

MIRANDA
I can see that!

Onscreen, the creature seems to find the drill very interesting, and promptly attacks it, swatting at it with its enormous hands.

MIRANDA
(angry)
And it's attacking our drill!

ENITA
Nevermind that, there are people out there with that thing! We've got to warn them!

STAN
How do you suggest we do that? That idiot Kyle hung up!

Grabbing a hunk of metal, the monster throws it, sending it flying towards the camera. Impact. Everyone except Miranda reflexively jerks back in surprise. Miranda simply narrows her eyes in annoyance. The screen becomes nothing but static.

Without replying, Enita races from the room. Enita yells after her.

MIRANDA
Where are you going?

ENITA
To try and get to Lieutenant Feral and the others before it's too late!

INT. FOREST

Kudrow races through the woods with Felina and Louis hot on his tail. Whirling around he throws the duffel bag aside into some bushes so he can retrieve them later. Then he turns and resumes running. With Louis in the lead, he and Felina continue giving chase but Kudrow quickly outdistances them, disappearing from view into the dense undergrowth. They've lost him. They hear a distant crashing noise.

FELINA
What was that?

They hear the sound of something huge moving through the trees, and then the rock monster emerges from the foliage, standing around twenty feet tall and extremely bulky and broad-chested, made entirely of a dark-colored, almost reddish rock, it stands hunched over, with short legs terminating in broad, flat-bottomed feet, and has thick, long arms, with huge sharp-fingered hands. It lacks a neck to speak of, but does have a head with an enormous, lantern-jawed mouth filled with jagged rocky fangs. Spiny growths protrude backwards from its head and shoulders. As it walks, it holds its arms outstretched and knees bent, as if in a wrestler's stance.

Felina and Louis both take aim and fire, but their lasers don't seem to do anything except make the creature angry. Seeing the futility of a direct assault, a wife-eyed but not yet worried Felina decides it's time to go.

FELINA
Run!

She and Louis turn and begin running crazily. Kyle comes rushing up behind them, panting. He's surprised when they blow by him, and he turns, confused.

FELINA
Come on!

Although he hasn't seen the monster yet, he turns and races after them, but stops, seeing something moving through the trees ahead of them: another monster. He gulps, turns to run the other way, sees the first creature approaching, and goes charging off through the bushes to the left in the direction of the construction site.

Felina and Louis are running headlong through the woods, Louis in the lead, when suddenly the second monster steps into view, the trees shaking, sending birds screaming into the air in a wild panic. It's identical the first one. Felina sees it first.

FELINA
Louis, look out!

Louis skids to a halt, then fires up at it with his laser rifle.

LOUIS
I'll keep it busy! Get outta here! Go!

Felina is about to protest and suggest the exact opposite when suddenly the creature reaches down and its hand hovers over Louis. It seizes the technician in its hand, lifting him up.

FELINA
Louis!

She fires relentlessly with her gun, but the monster ignores her completely and lifts Louis to its face. Its (almost literally) cavernous maw slowly opens and shoves him inside. Felina stops firing and watches the technician lowering into the gaping pit of a mouth. Louis screams. Felina completely locks up, frozen in place, unmovijg except for the trembling her body.

Felina stands there, watching but not seeing the one occurring directly in front of her, the first rock monster approaching from behind her as the second one continues inserting Louis into its mouth. Finally it bites down. We cut away, however, and the crunching sound snaps Felina out of her daze. Trembling and sweating, still holding her gun aimed up at the second monster in quaking hands, she shuts her eyes and looks away, still not noticing the first creature behind her.

Nor does it notice her. Or at least despite having her right there in front of it, it does not attack her. It simply stands there, rocking back and forth slowly on its stony heels. Felina slowly opens her eyes and turns again in time to see Louis' booted feet disappearing into the second creature's mouth. She gasps and her eyes water. Sensing something behind her, she looks over her shoulder and issues forth a strangled little gasp. The monsters ignore her and move away, leaving her very confused indeed.

She waits until they're gone, then goes and leans against a tree to compose herself.

FELINA
Get ahold of yourself, Felina... it's not like you haven't seen people get killed before.

She looks around for Kyle, and, failing to find him, tightens her grip on her laser pistol, and psyches herself up. She squeezes her eyes up, then goes trudging off through the undergrowth towards the construction site.

EXT. CLEARING

She walks into the clearing to find almost everything completely trashed. The drill is overturned and the supervisor's hut has been crushed flat. So much for the radio. Walking almost in a daze, Felina shakes her head and regains her senses, then finds Kyle standing staring at the destruction, the crushed hut in particular. He seems to be okay, just badly shaken.

KYLE
(dismayed)
What in the world? You've gotta be kiddin' me! It's... it's completely flattened!

FELINA
We've got to warn Ignimbrite and the others about those creatures. What about your truck? Does it have a radio?

KYLE
(realizing)
Yeah, it does, come on!

He goes over to the truck. Opening the door he gets in and tries the radio. It doesn't work.

KYLE
Come on, come on!

FELINA
What's wrong?

KYLE
It won't work!

Kyle hangs the radio up.

KYLE
Well, maybe we can try the--

They hear roars and the trees shake.

KYLE
Oh, no, they're coming!

FELINA
Well, at least we can drive out of here!

Kyle inserts his key into the ignition and tries that. It just clicks impotently. It won't turn over.

KYLE
It won't start!

FELINA
Why not?

KYLE
I dunno! I'll check the engine!

Getting out and leaving the driver's side door open, he goes and pops the hood. Felina leans against the door, watching him. Some pours from the opened hood. Kyle coughs and Felina waves her hand in front of her face. Even from where she's standing, she can see that the engine has been tampered with extensively.

KYLE
Gah, look at that! There's like fifty different parts missing!

FELINA
(angry)
No prizes for guessing who we can thank for that.

Her temper flaring, she furiously grabs the open door and slams it shut with a loud bang.

FELINA
That son of a--

The ground shudders. Turning, Felina can just make out the shape of at least one of the rock monsters approaching through the woods across the clearing, trees snapping like twigs in its path.

FELINA
(yelling)
Hide!

She quickly drops down onto her stomach and slides underneath the truck, but does so so quickly her laser pistol slips from her hand. Kyle, standing at the front of the vehicle, turns around in a circle, and then elects to just sit down in front of the truck, leaning back against the grill. Felina looks at her gun and is just about to reach out from under the truck for it when, between the rear tires of the truck, she sees two pairs of huge, rocky feet emerge from the forest and begin stomping over towards them.

She jerks her hand back under the vehicle and bites her lower lip, watching as the feet get closer and closer. One pair breaks away and heads in another direction, but the second creature continues towards her hiding spot, its thunderous footsteps making the ground shake, causing the truck to rock on its springs. One enormous stone foot slams down alongside the vehicle mere inches from Felina, and she sucks in her breath and holds it.

Up front, Kyle, mustering his courage, turns and peers around the front bumper and whimpers as he sees the rock monster towering above him. He jerks back around and presses himself tighter up against the front of the truck, hugging his knees to his chest, shaking uncontrollably.

Without warning the truck is flung aside, revealing Felina lying there on her stomach and Kyle still sitting frozen with his legs drawn up. Both truck and trailer crash violently to the ground several feet away. Closing her eyes, Felina ducks her head down and prepares for the worst. Kyle opens his mouth to scream but no sound comes out except for a hoarse croak. They wait for the end.

But it doesn't come.

Felina opens her eyes and looks up. The monster stands over them for a moment but makes no move to attack. Instead, after a moment, it grunts in disappointment and turns and lumbers off, joining the other creature in crossing the clearing and vanishing into the trees on the opposite side. Felina watches them go over her shoulder. Slowly, Felina exhales, then rolls over and sits up. She wracks her brain, trying to figure out what just happened, or rather, what didn't just happened, running her fingers through her sweat-dampened hair.

She looks over at Kyle, who is sitting there equally dumbfounded.

FELINA
Are you all right?

KYLE
I, uh, I think so. Wh-Why didn't it kill us? I mean, we were right there under its nose!

Felina's mouth sets itself in a hard line.

FELINA
I don't know... I... I guess, somehow it didn't realize we were here.

She shakes her head in disbelief. They stand and dust themselves off. Kyle takes off his hardhat, scratching his head. He sighs, leaning against the vehicle for support. Suddenly, a realization hits him and he jumps up.

KYLE
Hey, wait a second! Where's Louis?

FELINA
(sighs)
I'm sorry, he didn't make it. One of those creatures got him. I shot at it. We both did. But it didn't seem to do any good.

Kyle looks at the ground in dismay.

KYLE
Now what do we do?

Felina can see he's scared. So she steels herself up and stands a little straighter, gradually regaining her courage so she can lead by example. She retrieves her gun and walks around the site, examining things. Everything's pretty trashed, both from Kudrow's sabotage and the monsters' subsequent rampage. Kyle, plunking his hardhat back on, finds the broken remains of the security camera and flings it aside. Felina checks all of the other vehicles present, but they've all been tampered with in a manner similar to the utility truck: radios broken and engines taken apart.

FELINA
I know one thing for certain. Those things were heading towards the main plant. We've got to warn Dr. Ignimbrite and the others, if they don't know already.

She kicks the broken camera for emphasis, slipping her weapon into its holster once again.

KYLE
How?

FELINA
I'm pretty sure all the other vehicles around here have had their radios and engines messed with just like that one. So we're going to have to head back to that emergency phone on foot.

Kyle considers this.

KYLE
Should we risk it?

FELINA
Honestly? My gut's telling me we shouldn't. There could be more of those creatures, and then there's our friend with the shades. But at this point I can't think of anything else. Have you got your keys?

Kyle nods.

FELINA
Then come on, let's go!

They head off at a brisk trot.
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:20 am

EXT. FOREST

Kudrow is sitting up in a tree in a part of the forest far from the valley and construction site. Taking out his cell phone, his dials a number.

DENIT
(over the phone)
Hello?

KUDROW
It's me, sir.

DENIT
(over the phone)
How did it go.

KUDROW
Almost perfectly.

DENIT
(over the phone)
Almost?

KUDROW
I got caught by an Enforcer and a couple of workers.

Denit frowns as he dangles a lit cigar between his fingers while conversing with Kudrow.

DENIT
You what?

KUDROW
(over the phone)
I got away, though. Don't worry. All I have to do is make it back to my vehicle and I can slip away unnoticed. They didn't get my name of anything.

Denit taps his cigar on the rim of the ashtray and leans forward in the manager's chair.

DENIT
The drill, what about the drill?

EXT. FOREST

Kudrow smirks.

KUDROW
It'll take 'em weeks to fix it. I did a number on everything at their latest build site.

DENIT
(over the phone)
Good! Good work. That should put Piedra and her geothermal plant so far behind schedule that it's bound to fail. Now hurry up and get yourself out of there.

KUDROW
Yes, sir. Goodbye.

He hangs up and then climbs down from the tree.

Denit hangs up and takes a long and very pleased drag off of his cigar.

DENIT
Well, Miranda, I think that about finishes you and your little pet project.

He chuckles evilly.

EXT. FOREST

Elsewhere, Felina and Kyle walk through the woods, with her leading the way and the supervisor stumbling along after her. He glances left and right in wide-eyed worry. Felina is scared, too, but she's hiding it well.

KYLE
What are those things, anyway? I mean, where did they come from?

FELINA
No idea. All that matters is they're big and they're mean and they've killed one person that we know of. Three, if the two missing workers were their work.

KYLE
That bloody hardhat.

FELINA
Exactly. I'm no expert on monsters, but if I had to guess, they came out of that big hole in the cave.

Kyle nods in agreement.

FELINA
Dr. Ignimbrite will probably know more. Rock monsters seem like something a geologist would know a lot about. Right now, though, I don't care what they are or where they came from. I just want to find out how I can kill them!

She clenches her fist and sighs.

Miranda is sitting in a comfortable-looking chair that's been brought in for her. The various technicians are going nervously about their duties. Lickboot enters carrying a small teacup on a saucer, which he offers to his boss. Miranda nods her thanks curtly and sips the tea gingerly. Lickboot steps back, frowning, as Miranda scowls and contemplates spitting the tea back into the cup. However, she shrugs and swallows it.

MIRANDA
What tar pit did this ooze up from?

LICKBOOT
I'm sorry, it's the best their commissary could do.

She shrugs indifferently.

MIRANDA
I've had worse.

She takes another sip and swallows despite grimacing, looking around at all of the technicians. Then she turns and stares at the monitor bank. Through it, she can see almost everywhere. One of them is still fizzling and showing nothing but static. This is the one for the construction site at Substation 9, of course. Another, for the main road, briefly shows Enita whizzing past in her Jeep. A third, showing the outside of the main building, shows Miranda's helicopter sitting on the landing pad with the pilot servicing it.

MIRANDA
Did you do what I asked?

LICKBOOT
I called the Enforcers, yes.
(nervous)
Are you sure you want to--

MIRANDA
Ignimbrite was right.
(snorts derisively)
I'll die if she ever hears me say that, but she was.

Stan glances over his shoulder at her.

BIG STAN
I thought you didn't care about the missing guys.

MIRANDA
(curtly)
I didn't. But those things, whatever they are, are threatening the stability of this project.
(angrily)
And what'd I say about about keeping your mind on your business?

Stan shakes his head and resumes his work.

MIRANDA
Two missing workers and a little sabotage is one thing. But those creatures could potentially kill my workers faster than I can replace them, and break all of the equipment faster than it can be repaired, and I can't have that.

She sips her tea.

MIRANDA
And that's why I've had my assistant contact... what was his name again?

LICKBOOT
Commander Feral. I, uh, I think he's related to the Enforcer who's already here.

MIRANDA
That could cause some problems. If she gets hurt or killed, Feral might get angry. I may not remember his name, but even I've heard the stories about the legendary temper of the Commander of the Enforcers. That's why I let Ignimbrite go out to retrieve her and the others and get them back here safely.

BIG STAN
Uh, speakin' of whom...

He points to the monitor for the valley, and they watch as Felina and Kyle enter and begin heading towards the transmission tower, and, effectively, the camera.

MIRANDA
Well, that's a relief. At least I won't get yelled at by Feral.

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

As Felina and Kyle walk along, the steam coming from the volcanic vents of the valley is finally getting to Felina, so she starts unstrapping her protective vest and taking it off. She flings it unceremoniously onto the same equipment box where her helmet is sitting from before, along with her gloves, which she fishes from her pocket, which leaves her in just her high-collared shirt with the Enforcer emblem on the biceps and her loose-fitting pants stuffed into her combat boots.

She looks around for any signs of danger. She doesn't see any, but she does notice Kudrow's laser pistol lying where he kicked it earlier. She motions Kyle ahead towards the tower. He rushes over and unlocks the callbox, and begins inputting his security code. Retrieving Kudrow's dropped gun, Felina brings it with her. She sighs and stretches, leaning against the heavy metal box. She sets Kudrow's gun down next to her helmet and tugs at the high collar of her shirt, and then begins undoing it, pausing to peer at what's written on the box: "Seismic Charges."

FELINA
Seismic charges?

KYLE
(absently)
We use them to map the geological structure of an area. Dr. Ignimbrite knows more about it than I do.

She nods and unzips the front of her shirt.

Technician Munro stares at the screen and points out the obvious.

MUNRO
We're a guy short...

BIG STAN
Yeah, where's the other guy...?

MIRANDA
Well, wait for the substation supervisor to use the phone and maybe he'll tell you.

On another monitor, Stan suddenly notices a rock monster moving through the woods towards the valley.

BIG STAN
Forget that! I'm calling HIM!

The phone rings even as he reaches for it and he grabs up the receiver.

KYLE
(over the phone)
Substation 9 superv--

BIG STAN
(interrupting him)
Nevermind protocol! Get the heck outta there! Run! Now!

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

Felina is in the middle of taking her shirt off to reveal she has a black sleeveless tank top on underneath it when she feels the ground beginning to quake. Glancing over, she watches as her helmet and the confiscated gun bounc on the lid of the metal box containing the seismic charges, making little clicking and clacking sounds. Nearby, Kyle, on the phone, looks over at her, wide-eyed.

BIG STAN
(through the phone)
There's a monster heading your way! Go! Now!

The phone falls from Kyle's hand and dangles by its cord. He whirls to Felina.

KYLE
They already know! There's one coming this way right n--

He stops as he sees the rock monster emerge from the forest and begin stomping towards them. Felina hurriedly finishes removing her shirt, throwing it aside, going in just the tank top now, and her hand goes for her holstered sidearm before she remembers what little good that does. With a tumultous roar, the stony behemoth thunders over in their direction, but not exactly at them. Kyle freaks, turns, and starts running. Immediately the monster turns towards him and begins to lumber over.

Felina freezes, out of fear and out of realization.

FELINA
Wait! Stop! Don't run! Stand still!

KYLE
(over his shoulder)
Huh...?!

He turns to look at her, and trips on a small rock, and winds up falling flat on his face, his hardhat falling off and tumbling across the ground. The beast walks up behind him.

FELINA
(whispering hoarsely)
Stay still!

He does as she says. The monster ignores him, lifting its heavy foot, and steps over him. He covers his head with his hands. Moving with deliberate slowness, Felina, undoes the latch of the box and begins opening the lid. As she does so, however, her vest, helmet and Kudrow's gun slide off and land on the ground. At this, the monster roars angrily and whirls around towards her, one of its outscretched hands striping and denting the transmission tower, causing it to tilt precariously. The emitter on top begins issuing forth an annoying high-pitched alarm, which seems to drive the beast crazy.

Everyone's eyes are glued to the screen showing the valley. Because the camera is attached to the tower, the image shakes wildly, although the onlookers have an up close and personal view of the rock monster's hideous face as it bellows. Over its left shoulder they can see Kyle lying on the ground. Over its right one, they can see Felina standing by the box. Stan still holds the telephone, through which they can hear the monster's roaring and the sounds of the tower being trashed, though faintly.

BIG STAN
Are they crazy? Why aren't they trying to get away?

EXT. FOREST

Kudrow hurries along, pausing to stoop and search among the bushes for his duffel bag. After a moment, he finds it and snatches it up.

KUDROW
Yes!

He slings it over one shoulder. Suddenly he stops. Up ahead, he can hear roaring and metallic crashing noises.

KUDROW
What the...?

EXT. VALLEY

Watching in mute, frozen fascination, Felina flings the top of the box open, revealing several small devices that roughly resemble land mines. She has no idea what to do with it. Grabbing one, she sticks Kudrow's

beholds the monster seize the tower in both hands and begin rocking it back and forth, tearing it up out of its foundation, parts flying off of it left and right. The alarm stops and the monster releases the tower, whereupon it wobbles and keels over, smashing through the fence that marks the end of the Geological Society's property.

The screen fizzles out. Static. Stan numbly hangs up the phone. Rising from her chair, Miranda turns and speaks to Lickboot.

MIRANDA
Get my helicopter ready.

BIG STAN
(angry)
You're bailing on us?

MIRANDA
(even angrier)
No!
(calming a little)
I'm sending it out to help them. I'm not letting the Enforcer commander's niece die. I'd never hear the end of it from him.

LICKBOOT
(protesting weakly)
But Dr. Ignimbrite is already on her way--

MIRANDA
(interrupting)
Just get it done!

He turns and scurries from the room.

MIRANDA
(to herself, mostly)
The chopper can get there faster than Ignimbrite's Jeep can.
(yells at Munro)
And find out what's keeping Feral!

EXT. STEAMY VALLEY

Holding the seismic charge, Felina crawls on her hands and knees over to Kyle, grabbing his shoulder. He cries out.

FELINA
It's me! How do I work this thing?!

KYLE
You just put it where you want and then set it off using the remote detonator. Why?

FELINA
(slightly panicky)
Where's the detonator.

He points at the box. Jumping up, Felina runs over towards the monster, a determined and grim look on her face. She squatts down and springs upwards, using her leg muscles to send herself shooting into the air even as the monster, sensing her approach, begins turning towards her. The monster bellows angrily and reaches up with clawed hands in an effort to dislodge her, but she clings on tightly with on hand, gripping one of the spikes growing out of its shoulder. Kyle sits up and watches, unsure of what to do, exactly.

As she bucks and reels, Felina's height off of the ground allows her to see Kudrow's Jeep parked in the bushes on the other side of the fence, and she files this information away for later, jamming the charge into one of the crevices on the monster's back.

FELINA
Hope you like explosive surprises, big fella!

Dodging one of the huge hands, she half leaps, half falls off of the monster's back, hitting the ground hard and rolling along until her body slams up against the box. She coughs and lies there for a moment, stunned, then gasps as she sees the monster turn towards her, narrowing its eyes and growling. It heads over. Springing into action, she searches inside the box until she finds what she assumes is the detonator, a device roughly resembling a television remote. There's a knob and a button on it.

FELINA
(to herself)
Oh, I hope this works...!

She presses the button. When nothing happens, she stands up, and begins backing away from the advancing monster. It's clear now that it's the impact of her footsteps on the ground that is allowing it to pinpoint her location. Gritting her teeth and sweating, Felina tries a different approach. She turns the little knob clockwise until it clicks into place, and then presses the button. For a second nothing happens and she looses a small sob of despair and prepares to turn and flee when suddenly the knob begins turning back in the other direction, counter-clockwise, like a kitchen timer. She realizes what it's doing. It's counting down. There's only a few seconds.

FELINA
(yelling)
Hit the dirt!

Turning, she dives down. Nearby, Kyle also turns and ducks down. The knob finishes its circuit. There's a muffled bang and the monster's body is wracked by a shockwave intended to penetrate several layers of rock and earth, and its body simply explodes apart, flinging enormous chunks of rock and a gooey ichor everywhere. The shockwave shakes the rock, rattles the fence and the overturned tower, and blows out the windshield, headlights and mirrors on Kudrow's Jeep, rustling the trees and bushes. Slowly, it fades away, and Felina pushes herself up onto her hands and knees, her ears ringing, temporarily deaf. She shakes her head and gasps, then rolls over into a sitting position and looks at her handiwork. The rock monster is gone, blown apart into several hundred chunks which leak a phosphorescent bluish ooze. She grimaces and coughs.

FELINA
(weakly but triumphantly)
Surprise, big guy.

Wobbly, Kyle comes over to her, shaking his head. His ears are ringing too. Felina gets unsteadily to her feet. Slowly, their hearing returns to them.

KYLE
That was... the most amazing thing I've ever seen, Lieutenant.

FELINA
All in a day's work for an Enforcer. But what matters now is I've got my way of killing them, however many of them there are. So let's rest a minute and then why don't you help me get that box over the fence.

KYLE
Over the fence? What for?

EXT. FOREST

Kudrow hurries along. Suddenly he hears the sound of an approaching engine and ducks down. He watches with some confusion as his own hotwired Jeep comes hurtling through the woods, Felina at the wheel, Kyle riding in back holding the big metal box full of seismic charges in his lap, the windshield and headlights broken from the seismic explosion, the grill and bumper dented from where Felina smashed through the mangled fence and the wreckage of the tower with it. The vehicle zooms past, Felina swerving this way and that to avoid hitting any trees, stumps or other obstacles.

KUDROW
(in disbelief)
That's mine....

He stares openmouthed as the vehicle vanishes through the undergrowth. With a bawl of anger and despair, the luckless saboteur flings his bag down on the ground in a fit of helpless rage. Grabbing the bag again, he decides to just leave on foot, Jeep or no Jeep, when he stops short as a fourth rock monster steps into view. He stares in openmouthed surprise, stands there for a moment, then whirls and begins running wildly through the woods away from the creature, lugging his bag along with him.

KUDROW
This just isn't my day!!!

EXT. CLEARING

Felina bursts through the bushes at the edge of the clearing and zooms across the empty and ruined Shaft 9 construction site towards the main road and the base.
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:55 pm

As so often happens with me, the burst of enthusiasm that I began this under has worn out. Heh. Here's hoping I can get off my lazy butt and finish it sometime in the future, especially considering it's one of the less complicated stories I've written.
1 x

Return to “Fanfics”