New Character Idea

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
marklungo
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Re: New Character Idea

Postby marklungo » Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Why does Hard Drive need to be replaced? Is there something wrong with him?
1 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Fri May 05, 2017 9:11 pm

marklungo wrote:Why does Hard Drive need to be replaced? Is there something wrong with him?

Maybe he just decided it was time for a new... gig.

Pleasedon'thateme. :oops:
3 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Mikazo wrote:
marklungo wrote:Why does Hard Drive need to be replaced? Is there something wrong with him?

Pleasedon'thateme. :oops:

Where is Horatio when need him? :lol:
0 x

Leon Mane
Resident

Postby Leon Mane » Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 pm

Electrical superpowered beings always have incredible potential. Look no further than Static Shock. Magnetism on a manhole cover or trashcan lid (or custom folding disc) to create antigravity flight sources, electrical signal tracking (possibly to the point of using it on a phone line to place a call), welding, de-powering vehicles, re-powering them, over-powering them, the list goes on as far as you can imagine.

On the subject of ball lightning staying and bouncing, maybe put a bolt of lightning between them for electro-bolos? And think of weaknesses. With Hard Drive, it was as simple as 'damage or remove the coat', and he was an ordinary Kat, but Gigavolt doesn't have that kind of obvious weak point. Obviously, water could short him out, maybe he could require outside sources to quickly recharge (without said source, he still charges, but slowly?), but never forget a weakness, or it could lead to a corner you can't get the heroes out of without it seeming like you pulled it out of your sittin' muscle.
0 x

TazKat
Long-Term Resident

Postby TazKat » Fri May 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Did you drop that pun on porpoise?

And yes, I agree, weakness has to legit balance out max capability of this dude.
1 x
"I heard him scream last night. It was awful! I wish he wouldn't do that when he gets kidnapped." --Lucille, Samurai Pizza Cats

My Artsite
My Blog
Art Commission Info

Leon Mane
Resident

Postby Leon Mane » Sun May 07, 2017 2:27 am

What's Gigavolt's motivation, exactly, apart from cash and data secrets like Hard Drive? I love villains with motivation that makes sense. You can only do so much with money, and he's already sounding powerful (though I'd like to see Hard Drive put up a fight just so it really shows Gigavolt's power, instead of just employing a straight up Worfing via OHKO or a cheap shot), and we've already got established greed motivated villains. Maybe he believes he's a god, and Megakat City is in his sights because he deemed it worthy of being his city? A certain unlucky tower could be a metaphorical and oddly literal lightning rod for his attention. Just throwing out ideas. Feel free to shoot them down if you already have other plans for him.
0 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sun May 07, 2017 4:41 am

Leon Mane wrote:And think of weaknesses. With Hard Drive, it was as simple as 'damage or remove the coat', and he was an ordinary Kat, but Gigavolt doesn't have that kind of obvious weak point.

I wouldn't exactly call Hard Drive an ordinary kat when he's not wearing his surge coat. He's a threat as soon as he gets his hands on some technology, like at the beginning of Metal Urgency where he hijacked the Behemoth Tank... Okay, he was beaten the same way by short circuiting the tank, but it shows that he doesn't need his coat necessarily. It's a cool (or hot?) feature that he enjoys to use and which makes his life a lot easier. He's just pretty helpless when he has encounter where he can only rely on his physical abilities. But put him into a control panel like Mac in A Bright and shiny future or Dr. Greenbox in Unlikely Alloys and he becomes a very powerful opponent who doesn't hesitate to kill (he leveled several skyscrapers using the Turbokat in the Night of the Dark Kat (and I don't think these buildings were empty), he intended to fry T-Bone and Razor to their deaths
HardDriveIcon RazorPainCait
and he also tried to kill FeralFrown with the Behemoth).

And if Megakat City is networked like the real world then there a tons of opportunities for him to take advantage.

I think that this character has a lot of potential which wasn't used in the show so far and I think he could be the archenemy of Nano (who has been revealed as a new character by the Tremblay Bros.). I would love to see a Cyberspace battle between those two (why is Quest World and also my own fanfic suddenly coming into my mind?).
RazorHappyCait

But back to the topic... I think Gigavolt doesn't really look like a replacement to me. If I understood this right, he's kind of an electrical being and thus using electricity is his primary power which he can use in combat for example. But he is not a hacker (or at least I didn't see this in his description), which is Hard Drive's primary ability (which might not be so obvious, because the features of his surge coat are visually more effectful).
SinianThisCait
1 x

Leon Mane
Resident

Postby Leon Mane » Sun May 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Fair point, but you also highlighted his relatively easy to exploit weakness: separate Hard Drive from any decent tech, and he's probably aroun d average levels of strength and speed, but seeing as he survived getting shot by a bazooka with barely any burnt hair, he clearly has some kind of superior durability. But without a suit or some advanced technology, he's out of luck. Gigavolt isn't bound by remotely the same rules, and could prove to be a heavy duty threat.

Second, I'm likewise curious about Gigavolt's motives, and that's where the hard part starts.
0 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun May 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Leon Mane wrote:but seeing as he survived getting shot by a bazooka with barely any burnt hair, he clearly has some kind of superior durability.

That was one of the show's stupider moments. And he survived it twice, let's remember. TboneLaughCait
0 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Leon Mane
Resident

Postby Leon Mane » Sun May 07, 2017 7:32 pm

He got hit with Ye Olde Butt Monkey trope there, that's for sure... Maybe enough to qualify him for Iron Butt Monkey.
1 x

Return to “Fanfics”