SK Transitions: Digital Divide (Preview)

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
EricoBard
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: SK Transitions: Digital Divide (Preview)

Postby EricoBard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Keep in mind, these aren't chapters. These are just SNIPPETS from the second chapter of SWAT Kats: Transitions.

The entire chapter will be much more entertaining. But I'm glad you see the logic in Felina's argument. By now, the city NEEDS them.
0 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:41 pm

Have another tidbit. Story is currently at 29 pages. I think it'll be around 40 or so by the time I'm finished.

--------------------------

“So Jake, doing anything different this weekend?” Chance asked, pushing himself out away from the belly of the car he’d just finished putting a new muffler in.
Jake was across the garage, putting the tools used during the day’s work back in order. “Aside from seeing how the tunnel excavation is going, not really. Might run some wind sprints along the beach. Unstable surface forces the muscles to work harder, and we don’t have an obstacle course out there yet.”
“You serious? All work and no play…”
Jake gave his counterpart a hard glare, and Chance brushed it off with the same ease he toweled the grease off of his paws. “Chance. Stop digging.”
“What, I can’t worry about you? Something’s been bothering you.”
“You know exactly what’s bothering me.”
“Jake, it’s not the same robot.”
“No it isn’t. Not yet. But it will be.”
“You know, I’m pretty sure that what we saw isn’t going to…”
“But what if it does?!” Jake snapped at him, and Chance was forced to recognize once more just how tired his friend looked. It was more than sleeplessness. It was worse than that now.
“Jake. We won’t let that happen. Ever. We’re changing things all the time.”
Jake’s eyes were on him, but the glaze in them meant he was staring at something else entirely. “Are you willing to bet your life on that?”
“We do it every time we suit up.”
“You willing to bet Felina’s life as well?” Jake asked, in an even softer voice. Chance opened his mouth to answer, and choked on the automatic affirmative. Something held him back, and Jake saw it.
The klaxon going off in its loud drone saved them both from tackling the existential crisis any further. Jake and Chance looked at one another for half a heartbeat before Chance raced to the nearest emergency phone, shutting off the klaxon as he picked it up.
“Yes, Miss Briggs?” He said, slipping into the gruff persona of T-Bone.
“SWAT Kats, the Metallikats are tearing through Megakat City!”
“The Metallikats?” T-Bone lifted both eyebrows and looked back to Jake, noting how very cold his friend’s eyes got at his name drop. He reached over and hit the loudspeaker, putting the phone back on the cradle. “I don’t get it. We haven’t seen either of them since we shut down Zed.”
“I know. I was hoping that they’d been lost in the wreckage, but it’s not the case. Apparently, they hit one of Pumadyne’s facilities and made off with some new prototype mechanized warsuit. Now they’re rampaging through the streets, and it’s rush hour. I bailed out of my car and ducked out of sight before they could see me, but as jammed up as things are, more kats are going to end up dead because of them.”
“We’re on our way. Stay out of sight and if you get hold of any Enforcers, tell them they need to start evacuating people.” Jake, speaking as Razor, added quickly. He was moving for their hidden hatch before Chance had even disconnected the call.
The two descended down into the hangar, quickly stripping off their coveralls and reaching for their SWAT Kat masks and G-Suits in their personal lockers.
“Turbokat still fueled?” Razor asked T-Bone, slipping his mask on.
“Affirmative. What are we packing?”
“Single seater Cyclotron, Cement Machine Gun, Turbo Blades, a five second charge on the Mega Laser; one pair each of the Matchhead, Mole, Scrambler, and Octopus, and one single shot of the Shark and Spider.”
“…Rainy day?” T-Bone guessed.
“It’s pouring, as far as we’re concerned.” Razor muttered. “I wish we had the time to stop by and pick up Cybertron. I really ought to install a remote recall function for him one of these days.”
“When would you find the time?” T-Bone finished suiting up and slapped his friend on the shoulder. “Time to rock and roll, sureshot.”
“Right behind you, buddy.”

Their gamefaces on, T-Bone and Razor dashed for the Turbokat, sitting patiently on the rotating hydraulic turnstile lift. With the canopy pulled back, the pair leapt up, bouncing once off of the wing, and then landed in their seats. T-Bone started to bring the menacing black and red jet fighter to life, and the canopy slid over them, sealing the cockpit.
Down the lift went, spinning around to line the jet up with the exit ramp. Its engines whining loudly as the turbofans hit their stride, the Turbokat waited impatiently until the lift came to rest.
“Systems check finished.” Razor said, having finished the pre-launch diagnostics. “All green.”
“Full power!” T-Bone shoved the throttle forward, and the Turbokat began to rattle. With the brakes disengaged, the powerful jet fighter rolled forward, off of the lift, screaming down the launch tunnel.
In the hands of a novice pilot, the jet would have bucked and jumped wildly. The tunnel, like the rest of the underground hangar, had been constructed out of the well-preserved ruins of a Megawar II construction bunker, and was not originally designed to allow the launch or landing of a powerful jet fighter. To keep it on track, T-Bone had to give it periodic nudges to keep the jet from scraping the walls of the narrow corridor on either side, as well as forcing the nose down. By the time they were three quarters of the way out of the long tunnel once designed for trucks to haul shipments in and out, the Turbokat had enough speed to lift off, but no room to do so. It had been an unintended consequence of just how powerful they had made the Turbokat, and a death sentence to anyone who wasn’t used to its idiosyncrasies.
By the time they reached the end of the tunnel which sloped up sharply at the last, the Turbokat was screaming to be let loose. T-Bone pulled back ever so slightly on the stick, and it didn’t just fly. It soared.
High up in the air once more, the Turbokat leveled off at 1,500 meters and nosed towards Megakat City.
The SWAT Kats were on their way.
2 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:45 pm

https://youtu.be/M1MhnzRsfKQ?t=3m15s

Just a heads up that this chapter is now at 35 pages; coming into the closing segments of the action, followed by some much needed winding down closing moments. I gave this segment some serious thought, but did eventually decide to go with my first instinct and give the Metallikats a body count this time around. The show was never afraid to pull its punches (Hey, remember when that Mummy punched the helicopter to scrap in midair?), and so, neither will I.

Death happens. You just have to make it mean something.

----------------------------

Some kats had the impression that the Enforcers were a bunch of gun-toting, testosterone raging lunatics just looking for an excuse to employ lethal force. Most would say that, while the image was overblown, there was a grain of truth to it. Every Enforcer from Day 1 in the Academy was taught to have a healthy sense of paranoia when out on patrol, because there were plenty of thugs, street criminals, and the like. They could handle killers, robbers, muggers, rapists, strung out maniacs. That, there was training for. But in Megakat City, there was a new kind of threat within the last ten years that the Enforcers Academy had been slow, too slow, to acknowledge.
Undead freaks who could summon hurricanes within thunderstorms and manifest creatures of prehistory and mythology. Mutated creatures and kats with faster reflexes and armored skin, nigh immune to conventional weaponry. Terrorists hellbent on destroying Megakat City and wiping out katkind, and mobsters turned into nightmares wrapped in steel. Against them, there were no half measures. Against such threats, there was only one effective response, and they weren’t Enforcers.
Against such threats, the only thing that kept you alive was staying on edge, knowing when to retreat, when to call in reinforcements, and most importantly…when it was a good time to fall back and run away with the civilians.
They prayed for the run of the mill threats and lawbreakers. As much as Commander Feral preferred to think otherwise, more than one Enforcer had quit or been forced out by poor psych evals after one, or several, of the more harrowing incidents.
Their lingering sense of imminent danger stayed with the two Enforcers, keeping adrenaline flowing through their bloodstream as their helicopter finally reached Pumadyne East. They saw fire engines still blocks away, trying desperately to weave through packed traffic just to reach the site. There was Pumadyne security, either racing to the fire with garden hoses and portable fire extinguishers, or to other buildings with their laser pistols at the ready.
“What the hell was that driver thinking?”
“Could have been he had a heart attack behind the wheel, lost control.”
“You really think that, or you just hoping?” The pilot snorted.
“…Yeah. Hoping. Hang on, I’m switching the radio over to Pumadyne’s security channel.” It was a turn of the knob and then an additional button press to match the proper encryption for Pumadyne’s security frequency.
“…cers chopper on approach, this is Pumadyne East security. Do you copy?”
The co-pilot reached for the radio. “Pumadyne security, Enforcers unit C-34, we read you. Please advise of situation, over.”
“We’re unable to stop the fire, managing to keep it contained. The big problem is someone got into Hangar 24, a Tech lab and testing facility. We haven’t been able to confirm who yet, but whoever they are, they’ve got the doors covered with heavy gunfire and they blew through an outer wall with some serious ordnance.”
“Copy that, Pumadyne.” The co-pilot let go of the squawk, sharing a look with his partner. “They’re not going to give us auth to use live rounds in that mess.”
“Tell ‘em to back off from the front entrance. See if that draws the perps out.”
The co-pilot nodded and clicked the mike. “Have your men back off from the front entrance and out of the line of fire. When they move out, we’ll need a clear shot.”
“Try to limit damage to the building. We’re pulling back now.”
“Roger.”

The security guards crowded around the most embattled looking hangar paused in their shooting for a bit to listen to the order, then fell back, keeping to cover.
The Enforcers helicopter stayed in a hover, its twin laser cannons pointed down at the entrance. “Safeties off.” The pilot ordered.
“Yes sir, lieutenant.” The sergeant grabbed hold of his stick and switched the toggle on the side to Master Arm. “We’re hot. Do you want full control?”
“Negative. You have the guns. Hold fire until authorized.”
“Roger.”

Tense, but feeling ready, the two chopper pilots waited for the perpetrators to try and make a run for it. They assumed that whoever was inside would come out lugging a briefcase or maybe driving a new tank prototype.
They weren’t disappointed. “Tank.” The main pilot called out, as an enormous brick on tank treads rolled out of the main hangar doors, busting them apart. He reached for the radio and adjusted it to the external speaker. “This is the Enforcers! Stand down and disembark from the stolen vehicle or we will open fire! You have two seconds to comply!”
Whoever was driving the tank didn’t listen, and it kept rolling along across the Pumadyne East compound.
“You have permission to fire, airman.” The lieutenant growled.
“Yes, sir. Engaging target.” The co-pilot took aim and pulled the trigger, and the Gatlings spun up. In a shrill cacophony of noise and light, the chopper riddled the tank with concussive laserfire, chewing through the tank’s thin upper turret plating with ease and disabling the treads. The tank lurched to a halt and started to put off smoke.
“That got him.” The co-pilot said smugly. Unfortunately for him, he’d developed tunnel vision. The more experienced lieutenant saw a flicker of movement in his peripheral vision and jerked his head in the direction of the busted out hangar.
“What the…!” It looked like something out of a movie, a mechanized suit with an enclosed cockpit in the center of elongated robotic arms and legs. The arms bristled with weaponry, and worse, a triple-barreled launcher on its shoulder was…
“Going evasive!” The pilot screamed, pushing the stick in and dropping the chopper into a nosedive. The mech’s shoulder-mounted launcher fired, and an RPG screamed up, closing the distance faster than the chopper could compensate for. In the last instant, the lieutenant swung the chopper around in a circle, exposing his side to the oncoming missile.
The blast wave killed the pilot instantly and engulfed the co-pilot in flames. The sergeant could do nothing but scream in agony as the chopper spun in to the ground and impacted with a heavy crunch. Somehow, he was spared a quick death by fireball; the chopper’s skids had taken the brunt of the impact, although the rotors squealed as they chipped against the concrete and broke off, pieces of metal flying in all directions.
Burned paws shaking as shock set in, he wrestled with his harness and finally got free, jerking himself out of the burning remains of the chopper on willpower alone. He dragged himself along the ground, teeth grinding as the adrenaline wore off and the seriousness of his burns and injuries became apparent. The Pumadyne security officers on the ground finally rushed over and pulled him up to his feet, forcing a scream out of him as they belatedly realized his left leg had been broken. Still, they got him clear right before the chopper exploded in the fireball that so many others of its make had done in the past.
“What the…hell was that?” The Enforcer sergeant got out through chattering teeth.
“That’s a prototype armored Mech suit!” One of the security guards answered over the noise. “I don’t know much about it, but…”
“Then find me someone who does!” Another Pumadyne security agent yelled at the first, who was clearly not as senior in rank. The senior agent quickly examined the Enforcer pilot. “This guy isn’t going to last long if we don’t get paramedics here quick. One of you, help me get this trooper to the infirmary.”
“Who…who was it…” The Enforcer sergeant wheezed, struggling to maintain consciousness. He could just barely make out the mechanized suit walking away from them, blasting away at another section of fencing while a smaller figure walked beside it. Strangely enough, both gleamed like silver in the light not blanked out by the darkness on the edges of his vision.
“Oh no. Not them.” One guard got out, choking on the words.
“Who? Who’s…” The senior Pumadyne security guard froze midsentence. The Enforcer chopper co-pilot fought off the fuzziness in his vision and took a closer look at the retreating Mech and its partner.
Molly Metallikat looked back at them, sized them up as a non-threat, and kept on walking. And that meant Mac Metallikat was driving the Mech.

“I need a radio. Now.” The sergeant rasped. The senior Pumadyne guard handed him his personal one. The sergeant fiddled with the dial, cringing from the burns on his fingers. He finally got it on the Open Broadcast Enforcers channel, and squeezed the squawk.
“This is…Sergeant Lobb, Unit C-34…Officer down, repeat, Officer down at…Pumadyne East. I am 10-33, requesting immediate assistance and…and reinforcements! It’s…!”
The blood loss and shock finally caught up with him, and he slumped into unconsciousness, quickly grabbed and supported by the guards. The senior guard punched the radio’s talk button.
“We’ve got one dead pilot and the other’s fading fast. It’s the Metallikats. The Metallikats are back!”
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:44 pm

EricoBard wrote:Feral finally pointed a shaking finger at her. “This is a direct order. Under no circumstances are you to incorporate either the SWAT Kats or their technology into the operations of the 6th Tactical Response Squadron. I will draft a memo and have it sent to your office so there will be no confusion as to my meaning or intent. Am I perfectly understood, Lieutenant Feral?”

2 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Is that an 'official' document from the show or just something you made up? Because if you made that up, decent work. :) Although the sentiment behind it seems more in line with his Season 1 outlook rather than his Season 2 outlook, where they're still a nuisance, but he no longer has the 'arrest on sight' mantra playing through his head.

-Erico
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:24 pm

EricoBard wrote:Is that an 'official' document from the show or just something you made up?

Completely made up, inspired by your scene (though admittedly I also have AkaneKitty's tone still floating in my head, so that probably influenced my perception a little). Still playing catch-up on reading the rest of what you have. Enjoying it so far TurboKatBounce
1 x
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:33 am

"It is so ordered."

No, no, Feral, it's "This... I command!" FeralBullhornIcon

Not that Feral is anywhere near as pompous and shouty as Serpentor, of course. Or evil. But having Feral shout "This I command!" would be epic. FeralFrown
1 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:51 pm

Chapter 2 is finished and uploaded on fanfiction dot net. Read, enjoy, flame.

That is all.
2 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Apparently, this chapter went over like a lead balloon. :) Come on people, tell me how much you hated it. Or liked it. Or whatever. Given my earlier rant about how much I hate time travel, I was walking a very fine line with Jake opening up about what happened in "A Bright and Shiny Future", and how they might stop it.

I'm especially keen to hear what the fellow authors (Modad, Koosh, Akane) around here thought about the interplay between Feral and his niece in this chapter. There's a whole lot of friction that goes on when their singularly divisive issue comes up after all. Sure, there's other hot button issues that you might find in the chapter (It's 50 pages long, I'd be surprised if there wasn't something that upset someone), but Feral and Felina for me were the centerpoint of this chapter. Jake's nightmares about the hopefully prevented future played second fiddle this time around, even if they did get the title drop's focus.
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:11 pm

EricoBard wrote:I'm especially keen to hear what the fellow authors (Modad, Koosh, Akane) around here thought about the interplay between Feral and his niece in this chapter.

It's on my list. I don't like to read fiction distractedly (forum posts and tweets require less brain power, most of the time anyway TboneLaughCait )

In the meantime, is this the correct link on FF.net?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12329701/1 ... ransitions

That way people can read it there and also leave reviews RazHoping
0 x

Return to “Fanfics”