Miscommunication: An AkaneKitty short

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Miscommunication: An AkaneKitty short

Postby AkaneKitty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:43 pm

After Commander Feral discovers Callie's SWAT Kat communicator, he confronts her about it.

Notes: After I posted about if Feral knew about the communicator and how he would react to it, I came up with this short ficlet. Wrote it in a day, might be a tad rough. This is my take on how the show's Feral would react. Stick aound afterwards for some more notes and let me know what you think!

Commander Ulysses Feral tightly gripped the triangular shaped device in his paw. He stalked through the halls of City Hall, blowing past a flustered mayoral assistant trying to stop him.

After anonymously receiving the device at Headquarters, and finding out what it did, his thoughts were a mess. He cycled from shock to near blinding rage in minutes. He couldn't believe the audacity of a certain deputy mayor, and he was going to get the truth out of her, one way or another.

Feral finally reached her office door and slammed it open. Deputy Mayor Calico Briggs, seated at her desk, yelped in surprise as he marched toward her desk. Recovering from her shock she glared at him.

"Commander, what is the meaning of-"

Feral cut her off by showing the device in his paw. "I want to know what this is."

Callie's eyes widened. She looked at the device and then looked up at Feral. "How did you get that?"

"Never mind how I got it. Tell me what it is!"

The color drained from Callie's face as she took off her glasses, biding her time by cleaning them. "That's..."

Feral smacked her desk with his free paw, causing Callie to wince. "Don't lie to me!"

"…You obviously know what it is. Why are you asking me?"

"I want to hear it from you!"

Sighing in defeat, Callie slipped her glasses back on and crossed her arms. "It's a SWAT Kat communicator that lets me contact them whenever I want."

"Did they give this to you or did you request it?"

"Why do you care?" Callie retorted. "It was obvious I needed some way to contact the toms who can actually save the city!"

"That is not the issue here and you know it!" Feral shot back, letting the barb bounce off him. "The point is that you allowed myself, the katizens, and the media to believe my Enforcers had horrible response times!"

Callie blinked. It became obvious she didn’t think about such an implication. "That's not what I intended!"

"I had to fend off every question from the press asking why I didn't show up in time! Why my Enforcers were always a step behind the SWAT Kats. The public thinking we just sit on our tails whenever a two-bit criminal decides to show themselves!" Feral's voice turned harsh, "When in actuality the SWAT Kats were a step ahead only because you gave them the advantage!"

"What does it matter?"

"It matters because my Enforcers were killing themselves trying to shave seconds off their response times! Protocol written to address this is now rendered unnecessary!" Feral leaned over her desk. "Yet you don't think it was a problem?"

Both glared at each other. Feral could not believe the deputy mayor's answers. It was obvious she thought she did nothing wrong. After a long moment, Callie held out her paw.

"You have your answers Commander, now please give me my communicator back."

"...No."

"No?"

"As Commander, I will not enable the deputy mayor to conspire with known criminals." Feral felt calm as he spoke, taking a step back. "As you know, vigilantism is a crime."

Callie shot out of her chair. "Wait just a-"

"If you don't want to be considered for arrest Ms. Briggs," Feral replied, "then perhaps you should have taken the time to strike vigilantism from the books."

Silence crept into Callie's office. A silence only broken mere minutes later when a tiny voice came from the device Feral still clutched in his paw.

"Ms. Briggs? Ms. Briggs are you okay?"

Callie paled as Feral brought the device to his face. "The deputy mayor is just fine SWAT Kat."

A confused voice, one Feral recognized as T-Bone's, continued, "Feral? How did-"

"Let this be your one and only warning SWAT Kat: If I hear any crack about my Enforcers being late from this point forward, I'll do more than just handle you. In the meantime, I thank you for the communicator. It'll be great evidence against you."

Feral clicked the device off and tucked it into his overcoat. He returned his attention toward Callie, who glared daggers at him. She pointed to her office door.

"Get out!"

"…There's just one more thing, Ms. Briggs…"

Callie crossed her arms. "What?"

"The warning I gave the SWAT Kats," Feral gave her one of his rare smiles. "applies to you as well."

Leaving the deputy mayor to her thoughts Feral turned on his heel and left her office. He had protocols to revoke, majors to address…

…and evidence to secure.

Post notes: I originally had Feral throw the communicator against the wall. But that would have been a Feral involved with Turmoil reaction.

I focused on response times because it would be too easy to zero in on Feral/Enforcer failures deny Feral's agency. Here Callie and Feral are on equal ground when it comes to the argument.
5 x

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Re: Miscommunication: An AkaneKitty short

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Woah that's some short story I've ever read
3 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:11 pm

I really loved it, Akane! RazorLoveCait
2 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Prettyshadowj26 wrote:Woah that's some short story I've ever read

Is that a good thing? Hopefully it is.

Kooshmeister wrote:I really loved it, Akane! RazorLoveCait

Aww, thanks Koosh! I consider that high praise.

Looking over this more I see so many explaination points. But the story wouldn't work without them. So much yelling lol.
2 x

Prettyshadowj26
Long-Term Resident

Postby Prettyshadowj26 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:12 pm

AkaneKitty wrote:
Prettyshadowj26 wrote:Woah that's some short story I've ever read

Is that a good thing? Hopefully it is.

Kooshmeister wrote:I really loved it, Akane! RazorLoveCait

Aww, thanks Koosh! I consider that high praise.

Looking over this more I see so many explaination points. But the story wouldn't work without them. So much yelling lol.

Yes in a Good way ;D
3 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:36 am

Really good story, but I think Callie should have defended herself (and the SWAT Kats) a little more vociferously. Also, I need to know how the SWAT Kats and Callie respond to this ASAP.
3 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:42 am

marklungo wrote:Really good story, but I think Callie should have defended herself (and the SWAT Kats) a little more vociferously. Also, I need to know how the SWAT Kats and Callie respond to this ASAP.

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you liked it.

Looking back over this I'm not seeing where I could easily place Callie defending herself and the SWAT Kats without hindering the flow. But Callie did get a jab in at Feral.

..,And if I may be petty, the SWAT Kats get enough defending on the show. Callie getting in shots about who saves the city completely takes away Feral's legitimate complaint about notification. And a lot of Feral's complaints get brushed aside too easily as is.

So, for those who read this, how would Callie and the SWAt Kats react to this? I'm already playing another ficlet continuation where Feral figures out who gave Hume the communicator. It also highlights a complaint I have: Feral's lack of allies on the show.
2 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:45 pm

My first reaction to this was that everyone seemed to be a little out of character…but I thought about it some more, and I suppose everyone’s interactions are appropriate.

From Feral’s point of view, I suppose having what he perceives as passive obstacles constantly getting in the way are one thing, but discovering what one could argue is an active conspiracy to undermine his authority (something that Mayor Manx already unapologetically does), then yeah, I guess his reaction isn’t too unexpected.

I’d like to think that Feral would’ve played it cool, using his knowledge and possession of the communicator to setup some kind of sting designed at minimum to capture the SWAT Kats, and also to potentially implicate Callie and get her fired/removed from office. That way he could have his moment to gloat rather than to rage. But, who knows how one would react when they feel betrayed after years of (potentially) unwarranted criticism?
AkaneKitty wrote:So, for those who read this, how would Callie and the SWAt Kats react to this? I'm already playing another ficlet continuation where Feral figures out who gave Hume the communicator. It also highlights a complaint I have: Feral's lack of allies on the show.

As for Callie’s reaction, I think she’d probably put her hands on her hips, get irritated, and own up to the existence of the secret relationship with the vigilantes, and cite that she ONLY contacted them when either the Enforcers were already involved (or the spectacle so huge that there’s no way they wouldn’t already know something’s going on) or had been unable to solve the problem. Most circumstances where Callie contacts the SWAT Kats in the show are positioned that way.

Anyway, a very dramatic scene. I didn’t know if Callie’s office was going to become Thunderdome there, with two entering, and only one leaving Madkatlaughing
2 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Dramatic? Oh yes. But this interpretation of his response would be more in line with his attitude in Season 1, prior to Katastrophe. At least, in terms of figuring out how to arrest Calico Briggs for obstruction of justice and collaboration with a known threat. I always find it humorous how willing he is to throw the book at them, and yet everybody else accepts the SWAT Kats as a force for good. Like when MASA has no trouble lending them a bunch of rocket-grade propellant/coolant so they can wipe out the giant spore on top of that giant ass skyscraper. Think about that for a minute. You have a military grade jet, flying into restricted airspace at a supposed national/federal level installation, and the response of the MASA leadership? "Sure, go right ahead and borrow $100,000+ worth of coolant. We don't need it!" By Season 2, he's more willing to tolerate them. Sure, he still gets on their cases and tells them to shove off (Not that they ever listen), but the presence of his gung-ho niece seems to be something of a calming influence on him. That, or by a certain point, he just accepts that there's an errant cog in the system, and while he doesn't have to like it, he does have to put up with it.

You have to have Feral in a very particular frame of mind for all the pieces of this ficlet to work. He needs to be in his Season 1 modus operandi, for starters. Then you have to establish that he's not all that serious about building up a criminal case against Deputy Mayor Briggs here; it's another one of his famous hollow threats. If he were SERIOUS about pursuing a criminal case against her, he would never let on that he HAD the radio communicator. He'd get enough evidence to have a Megakat City judge sign off on wiretaps, search warrants; a bit at a time. He'd let this process go on for weeks, months, keeping silent about it while every day, more and more evidence was collected to indict the deputy mayor and nail the SWAT Kats in the process. For that matter, let's talk about her communicator. Common wisdom would hold that it runs off of a slightly different frequency and encryption system than Enforcers standard. It would need to for it to go undetected, and Razor isn't dumb by any means. But having that communicator on hand means that Feral could pass it off to his boys, or even better, do some high level secrecy work with Pumadyme and have THEM take it apart until not only would they be able to listen in on every call, but then Feral would also be able to 'fake' a call (Remember that voice changer module Hard Drive used, which he got from an Enforcers military installation's databanks?) and lure the SWAT Kats in for the ultimate trap. Hell, maybe he could even backtrack it to the salvage yard. Answer his own damn question; who are they? Triangulate and follow the signal.

The Feral I see here is genuinely angry, hurt, and more than willing to lash out, but he lacks the foresight and planning we see him use in other situations. Like leaving a tracer inside one of the money bags in Night of the Dark Kat, or dressing up like a fisherman to sneak onto the island that Dark Kat and the evil gang are hiding out at to rescue the Mayor and Deputy Mayor. The man is capable of subterfuge. For him to not employ it in this situation seems a little off.

-----------------------------------

Now, disclaimer; I am very thorough and meticulous in picking through my own work. As much as I try, the odd typo gets through, but nothing wounds me more than when I fail to keep things in character, or mess up a verbal or physical response to a situation. That's because I've been writing for the fun of it for over 17 years now. Whether or not I've gotten better I leave up to others to decide; I write because it's fun for me, and because I love tackling what-ifs. I've done Novelizations. The real enjoyment for me comes with expanding on the lore in a series, while still keeping it dialed in.

Did I like this story? Sure. For what it is, a short ficlet that was probably done in the course of an evening, it is forward thinking in addressing one of those key what-if questions the show never got around to answering. That said, it could use a little spit and polish. That's writing for you. The more we write, the more we do, the better we get, and the less we enjoy revisiting our old stuff. Trust me, I have black sheep stories.

You have a good idea here. Whether it stays as just a good idea, or whether you decide to expand it into a great story...that's your call to make. I offer kudos on following through with your idea. The above are suggestions, not demands. End of the day, this is your tale to tell. Not mine, and not anyone else's.

-Erico
4 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:38 am

EricoBard wrote:At least, in terms of figuring out how to arrest Calico Briggs for obstruction of justice and collaboration with a known threat. I always find it humorous how willing he is to throw the book at them, and yet everybody else accepts the SWAT Kats as a force for good.

That's mostly because everyone except him is willing to overlook the teeny-weensy issue of them operating outside the law. FeralStopSign

And Callie is abetting them. There's a reason she keeps the communicator a secret. If it became know she had regular contact with them, I believe something akin to this story might happen; yes, post-Katastrophe, Feral is a little more accepting of the SWAT Kats, but he is still openly hostile towards them, and, in Razor's Edge, at least, seemed all too willing to believe they really were responsible for injuring the elderly joggers.

In any event, if he did discover that Callie regularly communicated with the SWAT Kats, pursuing a criminal case against Callie would be about her collaboration with the SWAT Kats, not about the SWAT Kats themselves; he may have come to accept the SWAT Kats (however grudgingly), but discovering that the deputy mayor has been in contact with them all this time might be a betrayal he would find very, very hard to let slide.

Then again, he apparently let Steel's obvious betrayal of him slide, so I dunno. I think the thing with Callie would just be more personal because he'd feel like she was hypocrite for constantly criticizing his job performance while secretly giving his competition what he'd see as an edge over him and his men.

Of course, whether or not Feral might try and get her arrested is a matter of interpretation, but I believe for a fact he'd definitely confront her over the communicator. FeralBullhornIcon
3 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

Return to “Fanfics”