Miscommunication: An AkaneKitty short

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran
Flag: United States of America

Re: Miscommunication: An AkaneKitty short

Postby AkaneKitty » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Wow! This sorta blew up since my last reply. Thanks for reading MoDAD and Eric! I'll post some stream of consciousness thoughts before I tackle some quotes that I want to respond to. Forgive me if it starts to repeat. And this gets long. FeralBullhornIcon

When I initially began writing this short, I envisioned Feral who's getting to the point where he had enough. He'd been getting from all sides: Callie, SWAT Kats, and maybe a bit from Felina. He's feeling no one is letting him do his job whether it be saving the city or something mundane like doing counter espionage (which is a major plot in the Turmoil rewrite I'm kinda plotting). So when he gets the communicator Feral snaps. It was the one thing that broke the camel's back.

For the most part, I mostly agree with Koosh and MoDad line of thinking. Yes, it would be easy for Feral to set up a trap for Callie and hang her on the evidence. But I think Feral would consider this a personal betrayal and would angrily confront her. While Manx has interfered with Feral's command, Manx didn't really make it personal (i think, needs confirmation). Manx interfered for political reasons, as the SWAT Kats saving the city ensures he stays in office. Callie made it personal. She made sharp digs against Feral like he couldn't do his job and she'd praise and cheerlead the SWAT Kats to the point it puts down Feral and the Enforcers. Plus she tried to stop Feral from doing what he wanted to do only to allow the SWAT Kats to do whatever they wanted. But while Callie does this, Feral is just thinking she's taking advantage of the situation like Manx is.

So when Feral gets the communicator, he finds out Callie isn't just taking advantage of the situation, she's enabling the SKs as well. The SKs get alerted first, while the Enforcers get stuck with a lateness label. What else has been spun to the SK's advantage? Is she giving them more leeway, information, or even trade secrets just so the SWAT Kats can stay on top? So Feral decides to confront her and let her have it.

Feral focused on the response times in his argument with Callie because it was something which affected the image of the Enforcers as a whole. The Enforcers appearing to be late makes them look lazy at best or incompetent at the worst. Feral probably did have to change protocols to address this, which turns out to be not needed. I also had a deleted line where Feral says he started getting on his officers' tails about it, which now that the truth is out, he'll have to go back to his officers and apologize. It's things like this in which I think a confrontation needed to happen. But only against Callie. If it was Manx I think he'd gather the evidence and then gloat. But as I stated Callie made it personal. At least in the short Feral has the presence of mind to keep it for evidence. It will be always hanging above Callie's head, and she loses her chances to criticize him.

Now, onto the quotes!

MoDaD wrote: But, who knows how one would react when they feel betrayed after years of (potentially) unwarranted criticism?

This is the kicker. The "Enforcers are late" criticism seems to be unwarranted. When T-Bone utters the line in The Pastmaster Rings Twice, it was a miracle that the Enforcers even showed up because it didn't look like there were any silent alarms tripped or Enforcers called. Even the SKs themselves showing up was a miracle, so Feral and the Enforcers getting the brunt of it like they failed is a head scratcher.

MoDaD wrote:Anyway, a very dramatic scene. I didn’t know if Callie’s office was going to become Thunderdome there, with two entering, and only one leaving Madkatlaughing

If you think that's dramatic, wait until Callie finds out who took the communicator to give to Feral. Madkatlaughing

EricoBard wrote:I always find it humorous how willing he is to throw the book at them, and yet everybody else accepts the SWAT Kats as a force for good.

As Koosh stated, Feral is the law, and the SWAT Kats are criminals. Feral isn't even corrupt law, trying to hide his wrong doings. It's his job to go after criminals. Vigilantism is a crime, something he pointed out to Callie. And everyone just accepting the SKs shouldn't be happening, and Feral shouldn't be the only one to bring it up. As it stands now, everyone who talks badly against the SWAT Kats is a villain. There is no one who criticizes them who maintains a good guy status. Felina comes close but falls in line. Feral is treated like a bad guy for just doing his job by not rolling over, which bugs the crap out of me.

EricoBard wrote:By Season 2, he's more willing to tolerate them. Sure, he still gets on their cases and tells them to shove off (Not that they ever listen), but the presence of his gung-ho niece seems to be something of a calming influence on him. That, or by a certain point, he just accepts that there's an errant cog in the system, and while he doesn't have to like it, he does have to put up with it.

I don't think Feral accepts them due to Felina. I think he barely tolerates them, mostly for his mental health. And Feral shouldn't be forced to accept him.

EricoBard wrote:The Feral I see here is genuinely angry, hurt, and more than willing to lash out, but he lacks the foresight and planning we see him use in other situations. Like leaving a tracer inside one of the money bags in Night of the Dark Kat, or dressing up like a fisherman to sneak onto the island that Dark Kat and the evil gang are hiding out at to rescue the Mayor and Deputy Mayor. The man is capable of subterfuge. For him to not employ it in this situation seems a little off.

Not quoted here but I think Feral would have already tried to trace SWAT Kat communications before, only to be blocked. So it's probably not worth the time to try to trace the communicator signal.

And again, Feral's reacting to personal betrayal. Sure he could plan and gloat, and I think he would do it if Manx was the one with the communicator. Callie made things personal, so he's going to confront her and let her have it, but also have knowledge and proof of her conspiring with the SWAT Kats hanging above her head, so he can pull that out of pocket whenever Callie wants to criticize a decision or prevent him from doing his job.

Kooshmeister wrote:In any event, if he did discover that Callie regularly communicated with the SWAT Kats, pursuing a criminal case against Callie would be about her collaboration with the SWAT Kats, not about the SWAT Kats themselves; he may have come to accept the SWAT Kats (however grudgingly), but discovering that the deputy mayor has been in contact with them all this time might be a betrayal he would find very, very hard to let slide.

Yep, I agree. This would be about Callie, not the SWAT Kats as much. It's Callie's collaboration with them which would probably tick Feral off, considering what she says to him.

Kooshmeister wrote:Then again, he apparently let Steel's obvious betrayal of him slide, so I dunno.

::Sighs:: Steele, along with Burke and Murray, are issues I tend let side. Not because Feral is my fav, but how their existence makes Feral look bad because they're loose ends. How Steele, Burke, and Murray were used twisted Feral's character when it was already twisted. Feral looks like he's okay with Steele's insubordination, but couldn't tolerate the SKs. It looks like he agrees Burke and Murray's treatment of Jake and Chance. But this never goes anywhere. Burke and Murray could have been used to shore up Feral as a villain or non-villainous antagonist status. Steele could have been used to show how Feral deals with politics. But as it stands all it does is enforce (heh) the universe's role for Feral: to twist and bend his character until it fit the episode and made the SKs look good in the process.

In any event, another short or two is planned to make this a bit of a mini series. You'll see who gave Feral the communicator (and why writing allies for Feral is complicated) and Callie's reaction to who it was.
3 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Your interpretation of Feral still seems way too Revisionist for my personal tastes, but the best thing about Fanfiction? My opinion really doesn't matter, because it's your story, we ain't getting paid, and none of us have to pander for votes or ratings. :)

If I have a different way of looking at Feral than you do, well, that's life. Keep on keeping on.
3 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I really don't see this interpretation of Feral is revisionist (and I done lots of different Feral) but I'm glad you read it and have some great viewpoints.
1 x

marklungo
Fandom Veteran

Postby marklungo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Interesting comments, everyone.

1. I've got to admit that I find this story disturbing because I'm a Callie fan, and however the matter is resolved, she's probably not getting away unscathed. Since she's my favorite SWAT Kats character, I really don't want anything irreversible to happen to her. At the same time, I have to concede that the situation is complicated. To me, there's no real hero or villain here--Callie, Feral and the SWAT Kats are all doing what they think is best for Megakat City. (As always, Manx puts himself first.) Also, Feral isn't incompetent or corrupt the way Manx is, and once you start thinking about his perspective, it's not hard to empathize with him.

2. It would help if we knew more about the official backstory. How did Callie's relationship with the SWAT Kats start? Why does she not only trust them implicitly, but prefer them over the Enforcers? Until the Tremblays provide an official answer, I look forward to Akane's take on the situation.

3. Theory: Maybe Feral has to tolerate Steel because of politics. Steel seems like the kind of cunning manipulator who would "befriend" Manx using flattery and deception, then take advantage of their relationship to get a cushy position with the Enforcers. Sure, he's lousy at his job, but so what? He figures that as long as he keeps buttering up Manx, he can stay where he is--and maybe even replace Feral someday. However, Feral is on to him (and it's possible that Callie is as well), which may be why he vanishes after only two appearances. As for Burke & Murray--well, could they be working for Steel?

4. So who did give Callie's communicator to Feral? There's no shortage of suspects, but I wonder--what if it was someone Callie trusted? She'd probably feel as betrayed and devastated as Feral, which could play out in interesting ways.
2 x
"Saturday is usually my morning to sleep in."

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm

marklungo wrote:well, could they be working for Steel?

No dice. As much as I'd like to let Feral off the hook, it's explicitly stated "We'll tell Commander Feral you sent your loooooooove."

Bah, where's a Murray smiley when I need it? TboneLaughCait

In any case, they clearly report back to Feral in some capacity. I like to think, though, that he is unaware of how antagonistic they are towards Chance and Jake. Since he presumably never visits the salvage yard and observes their interactions, he'd only have Burke and Murray's side of the story, and of course they're going to rose tint their behavior and paint Chance and Jake in a bad light. The fact they'd so obviously do this but still be chosen as Chance and Jake's babysitters shows how early season one Feral was a poor judge of character (along with having Steel as a second in command and keeping him after he betrayed him). That, or Feral chose them specifically for their antagonistic nature as a way of getting back at Chance (and Jake, to a lesser extent), but, again, I prefer to think he is unaware of what goes on at the salvage yard.

That said, I think Burke and Murray are mostly harmless. Apart from Burke trying to pick a fight with Chance (which isn't hard, let's face it), they just have annoying laughs and make big messes; there's no signs of any abuse beyond just being jerks who think they're way more clever than they really are. Certainly they aren't as bad as Steel, who is a craven backstabber. As mad as Chance and Jake seem to get when they interact with them, I think their anger is over the regularity of Burke and Murray's behavior, as opposed to the behavior itself; i.e., they're tolerable in small doses but since Burke and Murray work at the salvage yard and regularly interact with them, they're intolerable. And I think this is true out-of-universe as much as it is in. Personally, I find Burke and Murray hilarious, but maybe I wouldn't if they'd appeared more than three times.
4 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:41 pm

True; Burke and Murray, like Steele, make no appearances after Season 1. This was likely done because the writers were 'retooling' the show's scripts as much as the art team was updating the character designs, but their absence does require some element of explanation. Ergo, the bridge between 'canon' explanations (There isn't one given, they just are no longer seen/used) and 'headcanon/fanon' explanations (We scramble to come up with some reasonably plausible and believable excuse for their absence/removal.)

My personal belief/headcanon is that Jake and Chance eventually stopped trading barbs with Burke and Murray, and when they got tired of jerking their chains around, they just stopped caring and started feeding Feral bland, unverified reports. "Yeah, they're still bums." My sister and I got in the habit of doing this regarding our instrument practicing. I told the folks she practiced her piano, they told her I practiced my Clarinet. Actually, we were watching TV because it was more fun. And wouldn't Burke and Murray rather go drinking beers than messing around with a couple of ex-Enforcers who are about as much fun as a root canal?

Steele is a much more interesting discussion topic, but like the show, I have no interest in pursuing it personally in a story. For all I care, he turned in his badge for PTSD, or Feral ran him out on a rail for cowardice and being an outright jackass. He was there, and then he wasn't, and I'm fine with that.

Felina made a much more awesome 'second Enforcer' character, after all.
2 x

Return to “Fanfics”