Re: Writing Challenge Ideas

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Postby Mikazo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 am

Felony wrote:There would be minimum line counts for poetry and other stipulations so the challenge isn't super easy. RazEmbarrassed

Aww, I suppose it will have to be more like a tanka. :(
0 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:21 pm

I'd suggest that submissions be prose narratives. Poetry can involve verse, meter and rhyme, along with a host of other aspects that may prove a little inaccessible to readers, particularly international ones. Analyzing poetry is a much different process compared to prose fiction. So much so that I'd consider it unfair criteria to compare poetry with prose in this kind of challenge.

Now, if there's an original poem that's in the story itself and used as a part of the narrative...well, that's something else TboneLaughCait

I'd also like to give our members a little more time to think this over, and start to nail down the specifics after the weekend. This is probably a good time to start scribbling down/sharing specific challenge themes for short stories/dilemma ideas (if you haven't shared them in this thread already).

As for length, judging by the general responses so far, I'm reminded of the frequently used 1,200 words (4 pages) double spaced requirements for undergrad papers. That's probably a good minimum. Perhaps a good maximum is 6,000 words (20 pages) for something like this? It's been awhile since I've written anything so I can't recall if that's an adequate amount of space to tell a story in or not RazConfused

As for prizes, the artist rendering for first place idea is a neat one. It's just a matter of working things out with an artist in advance. I have someone (obvious) in mind and I'll see if I can work out a commission tab for this. And, still committed to all participants getting a SWAT Kats coin, too.

Another thought...

Stories should probably also not heavily rely on pre-established events from an author's previous work...but what are your thoughts on that? I know a lot of authors have invested a lot of creative energy into building their own continuities. Perhaps that should be part of the criteria? You decide as an individual if a story works on its own, and if you think pre-established elements didn't hinder your enjoyment that it winds up being successful. Or, is it unfair for one author to draw upon their "universe?" Should that matter at all if the quality/enjoyability of the story stands up regardless? Or, should these be 100% independent of anything an author has written?
4 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:18 pm

MoDaD wrote:Another thought...

Stories should probably also not heavily rely on pre-established events from an author's previous work...but what are your thoughts on that? I know a lot of authors have invested a lot of creative energy into building their own continuities. Perhaps that should be part of the criteria? You decide as an individual if a story works on its own, and if you think pre-established elements didn't hinder your enjoyment that it winds up being successful. Or, is it unfair for one author to draw upon their "universe?" Should that matter at all if the quality/enjoyability of the story stands up regardless? Or, should these be 100% independent of anything an author has written?
For this, I have just one thing to say: if writing about your own universe means you need to know about elements previously written in your other stories, then it should be banned, and more if entries end up being anonimous (an idea we have discussed in a previous post about this) since the readers could end up feeling that something is missing if they haven't read your previous stories; and in the opposite situation, you could end up revealing your identity plus not following the anonymity rule.

I'm not a writer and I don't thing I'll participate in one of these, but I don't think it's a good idea to allow the use of own universes. Another matter would be the use of OCs... That's an obvious OK if the anonymity rule (if there is) is not broken.
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Cait wrote:That's an obvious OK if the anonymity rule...

Forgot about anonymity. Is that a requirement that people would be interested in? Identity of authors not revealed until after the challenge ends? Some authors may not like that as it would prevent them from posting their stories elsewhere until the end of the challenge.
1 x
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:18 pm

MoDaD wrote:
Cait wrote:That's an obvious OK if the anonymity rule...

Forgot about anonymity. Is that a requirement that people would be interested in? Identity of authors not revealed until after the challenge ends? Some authors may not like that as it would prevent them from posting their stories elsewhere until the end of the challenge.

I think it was kicked around if we thought judging was going to be influenced by Big Name Authors. Like if such an author posted something they'd get a bunch of votes whether it fit the contest criteria or not.

I don't think we have this problem as compared to other fandoms, and I think MoDad would be able to spot such s flood and nip it in the bud.

MoDaD wrote:As for length, judging by the general responses so far, I'm reminded of the frequently used 1,200 words (4 pages) double spaced requirements for undergrad papers. That's probably a good minimum. Perhaps a good maximum is 6,000 words (20 pages) for something like this? It's been awhile since I've written anything so I can't recall if that's an adequate amount of space to tell a story in or not RazConfused

I'd cut the max in half to around 3,000 words. I've written some self contained chapters in that amount or less.

Plus I'd want to make sure everything submittrd gets read. I know we chatted about making that a requirement in order to vote, and I'd even take it a bit farther and make it where every story needs to be commented on. There's not a worse feeling where something you spent time on gets silence when something similar gets heaps of comments. Not asking for critiques, as every author has their own preference for that. But a comment is nice.

MoDaD wrote:Stories should probably also not heavily rely on pre-established events from an author's previous work...but what are your thoughts on that? I know a lot of authors have invested a lot of creative energy into building their own continuities. Perhaps that should be part of the criteria? You decide as an individual if a story works on its own, and if you think pre-established elements didn't hinder your enjoyment that it winds up being successful. Or, is it unfair for one author to draw upon their "universe?" Should that matter at all if the quality/enjoyability of the story stands up regardless? Or, should these be 100% independent of anything an author has written?

I think submissions should be independent, as previous works might not fit into forum rules plus it forces readers to go try and find and read the work in order for the story submitted to make sense. That's not to say you can't throw references into the work. In some of my stories Felina calls Razor Gunny as a affectionate nickname or that Feral created a game called Twenty One Shots. It'd be a treat to readers who have read previous works.

I myself reuse certain background information I've created for my personal canon so I don't have to spend time on it (Like Feral has a investigations major named York or his older brothers name is Augustus). But I'm prepared to give simple or complex explanations if the story calls for it. Again my readers maybe familiar with it but I would still describe for those who aren't.
2 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:57 pm

I don't think you want to get too controlling about what people can and can't enter in the contest. People are gonna write what they want to write about anyway. If they choose to make it all about their OCs or write about something that's already been done a dozen times, then they won't get the votes. But they will get the practice and we'll get something new to read. So give people a topic, give them a deadline, remind them to be brief and let them go. It's up to the writer to take on the challenge of bringing something new or thoughtful to the fandom, it's not everyone else's job to force that onto the writer. If you want to dictate what a good story should look like, enter the contest and show us how it's done. :)
3 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:02 pm

After looking into a number of options, I think I'll be reacquainting myself with an old frenemy, SurveyMonkey, to determine the results, mostly because I don't have a way to perform any kind of verification of reading in phpBB.

Here's an example.

Feel free to try it out, along with suggestions for additions (or removal) of judging criteria. I can already think of one that's missing: something about "how well did this story adhere to the challenge?" or similar.

EDIT:

I should mention, the correct answers to the verification on this test are "Captain Theodore S. Ritz" for LAST NAMES and "The Enforcers getting strategy and technological assistance from the SWAT Kats" for DIGITAL DIVIDE.
2 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:31 pm

I think this type of survey would work well for judging. Just out of curiosity, what happens when someone answers the first question incorrectly? I didn't think to try it and now I can't take the survey again.

Would those entering be able to participate in the survey without affecting rating on their own stories or would they have to refrain from voting altogether?
1 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:39 pm

I also went MEH at this grading notion.
1 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:Would those entering be able to participate in the survey without affecting rating on their own stories or would they have to refrain from voting altogether?

If someone answers incorrectly, the survey ends and the user can't vote. I'll need to make an adjustment in the final version, where the verifications are asked in sequence on the same page so that a partial vote can't occur. Hopefully that's not too strict of a requirement; if there's a question that's asked someone doesn't recall, all one must do is go back to re-read.

ErcioBard wrote:I also went MEH at this grading notion.

The criteria are not finalized. As I mentioned earlier, if there are suggestions, please share. There has to be some judgement differentiation in place to help established an accurate spread, as there will be a need to identify a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placement.

I've worked out the details with Poecat, and arranged a quality commission tier for 1st, and secondary and tertiary tiers for stories placed 2nd and 3rd. This would be in addition to receiving a SWAT Kats coin.

Once the current Art Challenge deadline is reached is probably when this will become more formalized. Thanks to everyone for their input!
2 x

Return to “Fanfics”