Re: Writing Challenge Ideas

SWAT Kats related fan fiction can be posted here.
Mikazo
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Postby Mikazo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 pm

Admittedly, coming up with a good yardstick to accurately measure the quality of a story is quite difficult. A lot of what makes a story "good" is very subjective. People may simply end up voting on the work that they like the most.

There could be some guidelines as to what the work can and can't be. For instance, say the submitted story would have to be something that would pass as an actual episode (or mini-episode), with a clear beginning and end, conflict and resolution. A guideline like this might be good if we don't want to have a bunch of grabbag-type stories with lots of random things in them. Alternately we could be more lax about that and let people write about anything, though that could leave less criteria to judge by. I could also see a word count requirement, maybe something between 2,500 and 10,000 words. Should grammar and spelling factor into the overall score? Part of me says yes, but focussing too much on grammer and speling at the expence of the actual plot could cause more problem's.
1 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:16 am

I like the survey as it is. We can change the questions if needed according to the challenge itself (if it is focussed on a theme, a question could be "do you feel this story fits the theme X?") so the voting is more accurated to it. Also, maybe it is wise to allow a second try for voting after... 1 to 3 days? Since the voting for challenges is usually a week, 3 days of delay for a wrong answer will give you most likely just a second attemp, encouraging you to reread the stories while you wait (that's, obviously, if the survey web allows that).
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Mikazo wrote: Should grammar and spelling factor into the overall score? Part of me says yes, but focussing too much on grammer and speling at the expence of the actual plot could cause more problem's.

A couple typos in a story are forgivable. However I have read fiction that is filled with grammatical errors and constant misspellings which made me quit reading. I wish people would make more of an effort in writing coherently. Not using capital letters, punctuation or separating paragraphs is not a "writing style", it is laziness. I equate poor spelling and bad grammar use in fic with coloring things incorrectly in an artwork, such as T-Bone orange or Dark Kat's robes pink.
5 x
^www^ <-- This is my happy evil megalomaniac face.
Class A Felony
DarkKatFury

Swatkatfan21
Resident

Postby Swatkatfan21 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:45 pm

So when does the contest start? Got my eye on the prize and a story cooking in my brain! Thanks to having a week that should have killed me at least twice each day I have a comedy in the works. Makes me glad I'm a unkillable gorilla! RazHoping
0 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Leaning toward the week after the end of the Art Challenge. Wrapping up a lot of podcast items in the near-term.
3 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Finalizing some details and also asking our forum Admins to look it over. Should have this officially underway either tomorrow or the day after.

EDIT:

The challenge thread can be found here.
1 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Return to “Fanfics”