Auxiliary Weapons Panel - Writing In-Character

If your creative masterpiece doesn't fit in art or text... then place it here! (Music, custom helmets, cosplay)
MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

Auxiliary Weapons Panel - Writing In-Character

Postby MoDaD » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Listen at: https://www.mixcloud.com/swatkats/auxil ... character/

Welcome to the Auxilary Weapons Panel, a part of The MEGA SWAT Kast where we break format for a little while to talk to fellow SWAT Kats fans about whatever’s on their minds. Make sure your safety harness is strapped on tight, because we didn’t file our flight plan in advance.

We are joined by special guest Erico the Bard, who put together the awesome fan-made SWAT Kats Show Bible, better known as his In-Character Guide. Our panelists also talk about how SWAT Kats lends itself to fan fiction, and some of the challenges presented by the world of the radical squadron.

Erico's In-Character Guide: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=587

Auxiliary Weapons Panelists:

Erico the Bard: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/55667/Erico
AkaneKitty: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/87569/AkaneKitty
Kooshmeister: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/247731/Bill-Hiers
MoDaD: https://twitter.com/TheSWATKats

This is a swatkats.info production. Make sure to follow us on Twitter @TheSWATKats.

Other listening options available at https://podcast.swatkats.info
6 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Re: Auxiliary Weapons Panel - Writing In-Character

Postby EricoBard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Terrific job on the editing; you got rid of all those awkward stumbles we had. :) Maybe a few too many sound bites for the casual listener, but overall a terrific addition to the SWAT Kast library.

If there's ever another podcast you think I'd be able to help out with...

"Wake me. When you need me."

-Erico
4 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:47 pm

EricoBard wrote:If there's ever another podcast you think I'd be able to help out with...

I have no doubt. Thanks for taking the lead on this one! Really great topic, and it's a nice little primer I'm sure people with all kinds of degrees of writing experience in our fandom can appreciate.

(It's also no doubt a nice break from having to listen to my dry intonation Madkatlaughing )
0 x
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:49 pm

I have one question. What's with the Manx gibberish from Mutation City used after I mentioned the governor? RazLaugh
3 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:02 am

Kooshmeister wrote:I have one question. What's with the Manx gibberish from Mutation City used after I mentioned the governor? RazLaugh

You could infer probably two reasons. 1. You mentioned Manx, and we'd yet to have an audio reference for him. 2. Implying that the governor character would be a carbon-copy of Manx Madkatlaughing

But, if I recall correctly, the real reason was the need for a structural transition as there wasn't a good segue, and a lack of imagination on my part in that moment.
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 pm

I love Manx gibberish lol. It's like he loves the sound of his voice and it doesn't really matter what's coming out of his mouth. It's just entertaining.
lol or maybe it's more deeper then that maybe it's vocal exercises so he can give those really great speeches Callie writes
1 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:31 am

I made it through the whole show with my roly-poly baby only crying once XD

I do want to clarify and say my Universe trope is only applicable when it's for the SWAT Kats benefit only, and not the plot/story as a whole. To use the Succubus example I used while it's cool that T-Bone would hear Felina in order to rescue her, a viewer later in the back of their mind might be thinking "Hey, those Enforcers didn't even help her. The SKs were right!" even though there is no narrative justification (at the time) for the Enforcers not to respond. I mean, look how the Enforcers being late all the time got stuck on Feral and the Enforcers from one comment from T-Bone.

Now, the Enforcers not responding would have made sense if Felina was the black sheep of the Enforcers and her peers resented her from running with the SWAT Kats all the time. But even then not responding is a stretch, due to her being Feral's niece. Now if Feral and the Enforcers were corrupt, and Felina was fighting against them, the nonresponse makes sense. So you see the narrative fit the action taking place.

I really got to come up with a better name than Universe trope. And speaking of tropes, I just know a Callie heel turn against the SWAT Kats would be just like the Sami Zayn heel turn happening right now. And it would probably be the only time Feral acts happily obnoxious about it. crazymadkat "Hug me! Hold me tight!"
1 x

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:09 pm

It occurs to me I screwed up a reference.

Provenza from "The Closer" NEVER wants to retire; his third (divorced) wife gets half of his retirement when he does. To spite her, he plans on working until he dies.

Sgt. Barnes from my own works DOES want to retire. His marital status has not been touched on as yet.

Blargh. FML.

-Erico
0 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:19 pm

And finally getting to comment on this one. I listened to it and the Metallikats one a while back, but only now have had time to comment on them.

This was a super fun topic to listen to. Writing and fanfiction are definitely relevant to my interests. I give writing lectures/discussions myself (just gave a few writing lectures at a convention last weekend) and I also love hearing other writer's thoughts on subjects.

I thought Erico did a great job and I enjoyed hearing what he had to say about his chosen topics. I was tickled AkaneKitty was there, too. She and I usually seem to be of similar opinions when it comes to various Swat Kats topics and issues. I was really shocked what she said about Feral turning to the side of the villains if pushed far enough. She's such a champion of the Enforcers and the Ferals, I didn't think she would think that way. I have to say I respectfully disagree with that one, but I do appreciate the explanation as to where you could see that happening. I love hearing different ideas.

I have to say I do agree with Erico's statement that this had a little too many extra sound bites, MoDad. I think you are really hitting your editing stride with the episode-based casts. I think there is a good balance there. When you and your guests are commenting and quipping on episode scenes, a handful of silly sounds fit right in. But in this Auxiliary cast especially, I felt the extra sounds were distracting at times. Often sounds were popping up in the middle of (mostly Erico's) sentences. Consider letting your guests finish their thought before adding a sound--if a sound is even needed. Though that "Dragon of the West" sound bite was pure gold. I may have snortled at work a little. TboneLaughCait

Great idea for a podcast topic! Everyone did an awesome job!
2 x

AkaneKitty
Fandom Veteran

Postby AkaneKitty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:00 am

Super late coming to reply to this one. LOL

Ty-Chou wrote: I was tickled AkaneKitty was there, too. She and I usually seem to be of similar opinions when it comes to various Swat Kats topics and issues. I was really shocked what she said about Feral turning to the side of the villains if pushed far enough. She's such a champion of the Enforcers and the Ferals, I didn't think she would think that way. I have to say I respectfully disagree with that one, but I do appreciate the explanation as to where you could see that happening. I love hearing different ideas.

Aww Ty! I hope we can do a podcast together in the future. I know I want to be on an Enforcer focused one.

Back to Feral, and him going dark, I only see it in the extreme case. He would have to be broken completely down for him to even entertain the idea. He would not just go dark because a she-kat flirted with him. But maybe a she-kat who has been hitting his weak point, plus the pressure cooker of everything coming to roost? Possibility. Maybe straw breaking the camel's back moment of Feral finding out about Callies communicator too(like I wrote about)? That might send him over the edge.

But it would have to be a long game. You could not fit that into one episode. And him turning things around would and should not be because the SWAT Kats were winning. I'm still irritated by that thought process. Feral would turn back because the SKs were winning, but not because of his own niece? Nope, nope, nope.
1 x

Return to “Other Creative Fanworks”