The MEGA SWAT Kast – Knockoff Necronomicon

If your creative masterpiece doesn't fit in art or text... then place it here! (Music, custom helmets, cosplay)
MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

The MEGA SWAT Kast – Knockoff Necronomicon

Postby MoDaD » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Listen on MixCloud.

Queen Callista, ruler of Megalith City, is stalked by an undead magical zombie. Fortunately, this episode was written by Glenn Leopold and not Stephenie Meyer. The mystical winds of plot contrivance transport our “not-heroes” to the Dark Ages, just in time to enforce a Medieval restraining order. Is Razor truly the hero foretold? Can T-Bone convince Razor they’re not actually heroes? Only one way to find out! Groovy.

Please adjust your humor targeting displays to the lowest common denominator, and note that the accuracy of recollection missiles may vary.

Show Episode: Bride of the Pastmaster

Kooshmeister: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/247731/Bill-Hiers
MoDaD: @TheSWATKats - https://twitter.com/TheSWATKats
NeeKnight: @NeeKnight - https://twitter.com/NeeKnight
Sage: @MintiSage - https://twitter.com/MintiSage

This is a swatkats.info production. Make sure to BUY SWAT KATS DVDs at WBShop.com to keep Warner Bros. happy: http://www.wbshop.com/product/swat+kats ... 0181482.do

Other listening options available at: https://podcast.swatkats.info
6 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Re: The MEGA SWAT Kast – Knockoff Necronomicon

Postby Kooshmeister » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Aw, you didn't include my theory about how they originally intended to shoot the Pastmaster with the Dragon Sword. TboneLaughCait
4 x
R.I.P. Gary Owens (1936-2015)

EricoBard
Long-Term Resident

Postby EricoBard » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:34 am

Modad, gave it a listen. Here's my thoughts.

I thought you went a little (A LOT) overboard with the sound clips: The "Yakety Sax" segment, for example, spoils the bulk of the episode as you quip off the one-liners; why bother having panelists if you're just going to lay it all out to begin with? You also used some clips upwards of three times by doing this, and it added a minute to the broadcast you didn't really need.

Later on, that "Army of Darkness" segment repeats the same mistake. You could have just as easily done a five second soundbite to make your point that they were inspired by pop culture when they did this episode, but instead you laid out yet another full minute soundbite segment. I was grinding my teeth by this point in the podcast; when were we going to get to the meat and potatoes and skip over all this unnecessary soundbite editing fluff?

Why these two segments grate on me is because later in the podcast, there is an example of you doing it RIGHT; when the panelists start singing Monty Python's "Knights of the Round Table" song, you toss in about a five second clip of the music, and it enhances the podcast; it complements what they are discussing. You also had some nice sound effect use when you were all referring to Back To The Future. (But with a caveat; if you really NEEDED to include Koosh's rambling about how he hates time travel, you should have sped it up considerably until coming to an abrupt halt. There's plenty of examples in cartoons about this; start slow, build up to chipmunk/hampsterdance gibberish speed, and THEN stop. You kept it at 2x speed for the entire segment, and I was grumbling to myself "Get to the f---ing POINT..." Once again, I saw what you were going for, but time is precious because you risk people tuning you out and shutting off the podcast completely.)

Based on the trend I'm seeing in your podcasts, take what you consider to be your subjective "Just the right amount of sound bites" in the editing process, and slash it by HALF. You have great panelists; they've got decent senses of humor, they're trope and genre savvy. Let them do their thing, and if you need a sound clip, keep it under ten seconds, preferably under five. The sound bites should not be the focus of these podcasts; they should be secondary to the discussion about the plot, other details your color commentators provide, and keeping it all moving along.

You have a decent formula already. Let your panelists and the discussion take the lead, and stop trying to feed the ADHD-Family Guy styled cutaways.

-Erico
2 x

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:25 pm

EricoBard wrote:But with a caveat; if you really NEEDED to include Koosh's rambling about how he hates time travel, you should have sped it up considerably until coming to an abrupt halt.

I did start out genuinely attempting to explain how it worked. It was only halfway through that I realized I had no frickin' clue what I was talking about. In hindsight I feel that I went on for far too long, and I didn't think Matt would include it, but the manner in which he did had me giggling. RazLaugh
2 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Kooshmeister wrote:
EricoBard wrote:But with a caveat; if you really NEEDED to include Koosh's rambling about how he hates time travel, you should have sped it up considerably until coming to an abrupt halt.

I did start out genuinely attempting to explain how it worked. It was only halfway through that I realized I had no frickin' clue what I was talking about. In hindsight I feel that I went on for far too long, and I didn't think Matt would include it, but the manner in which he did had me giggling. RazLaugh

Lol Its better with visuals. Oh, getting into thinking way to much on things
Attachments
past masters tme line.png
3 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:34 pm

LULZ! The whole NEE thing there at the end.... Haha. TboneLaughCait
5 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:52 am

Just thinking how I wish I had his powers. I'd so be miss using them to play hooky from work but it can't really be hooky if I made it the weekend or vacation can it? Lol
2 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:49 pm

This is one of my favorite episodes from season 1. Definitely one of the episodes I have rewatched quite a few more times than certain others.

I loved the mental image of T-Bone just picking up the sword WITH the stone and waving it around aggressively to a bunch of soldiers who do not know how to properly react to that. LOL And also the comments about DJ Master P being the worst pickup artist ever.

I really love any mention of T-Bone's ridiculous strength. The guy really is built like a brick wall. I get irritated with writers who refer to him as fat in their fanfics. Just because he doesn't have the “Dorito” form with the wide shoulders and the trim waste doesn't mean he isn't all muscle. Chance doesn't have the toned comic book superhero build, he has the grew up wrestling bears in the mountains build.

About half way through, Nee asks why the Pastmaster would attempt to bring the past to present day Megakat City when he could just go back in time. I think Koosh's theory that maybe he didn't know if he could go back to the past is a valid one. It's very possible. Maybe he was spirited back in time after his first fight with the Swat Kats and he just happened to end up in Callista's time where he then got his crush. And he may very well have been stuck in that time until he found the watch we see in “A Bright and Shiny Future”. (Did we see the watch before then? I don't remember ever seeing it before that episode.) And with the watch, he was able to bounce back and forth between time again.

I have so, so much to say about this episode, about history and time travel, DJ Master P's powers and motives, Megalith City and the creatures used in this story. But nothing else is in direct response to something said on the podcast. So I'm going to leave it there.

Thanks again for everyone taking the time to do this episode.
3 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:I have so, so much to say about this episode, about history and time travel, DJ Master P's powers and motives, Megalith City and the creatures used in this story. But nothing else is in direct response to something said on the podcast. So I'm going to leave it there.
I just realized there isn't a dedicated thread for this episode yet. I encourage you to start one with your thoughts SinianThisCait
1 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Kooshmeister
Fandom Veteran

Postby Kooshmeister » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:(Did we see the watch before then? I don't remember ever seeing it before that episode.)

He had the pocketwatch in The Pastmaster Always Rings Twice:

As for Bride of the Pastmaster, I dunno. Perusing the screenshots, I don't see it. Is it possible this is the one episode where he doesn't have the pocketwatch? It's depicted on the model sheets, but I can't recall ever actually seeing it. If it isn't in it, we may need to remove it from this episode's list of appearances. I'll need to give the episode a more thorough examination.

And then there's The Deadly Pyramid, where DJ Master P definitely does have the watch, which at one point he uses in lieu of his spying mirror from Bride of the Pastmaster to observe events going on outside of the pyramid.

Last edited by Kooshmeister on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

Return to “Other Creative Fanworks”