Discord Server

If your creative masterpiece doesn't fit in art or text... then place it here! (Music, custom helmets, cosplay)
EricoBard
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: Discord Server

Postby EricoBard » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:36 pm

There should be an icon on your taskbar, bottom right corner. Right click it, it'll give you an option to turn it off.

We've used discord to chat between members and to record SWAT Kasts, but the SWAT Kats channel is...well, nutty is a good word for it. The trick, I've found, is to only pay attention to what you absolutely need to. Parse the information, and pace yourself.

Or, like you said. Keep using the Message Boards here. :)

-Erico
1 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks Erico! I'll see if I can turn it off when I dare go to my laptop again. (I couldn't even download it on my desktop I'm using now. It is super old)

I'm definitely interested in figuring out the speaking out loud feature. I think chatting out loud with a few fellow fans at a time would be a lot of fun.
1 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:13 pm

I think the best way to describe it is AIM and Forms had a love child.
When I was in High School I never got use to AIM cuz it was me vs my mom and the land line so when I did go online I'd try to focus on the reason I was on while I had the chance. Who would of thought we can go from landline to Wifi thinking about it now TboneLaughCait
Anyway maybe that's just the easiest way to jump in.
1 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:I'm a bit with you, too, Poecat. For me, it's not so much the speed as the randomness. Though that's really more how the members use it than Discord itself. Yes, it was fun to chat in real time with fellow fans, but sometimes there would be a few different conversations all going on at the same time and then new people would pop in and want to talk about something else.

I just want to have a full conversation with someone without other people popping in trying to get everyone to talk about what THEY want to talk about, you know? And then it's like am I rude if I ignore this person trying to derail us? But I just want to finish the current conversation I am having with these other people. Maybe it's because the Discord channel is new. But it feels like a lot of members are constantly "look at me! Look at me! Let's talk about only things I want to talk about!"

At least with the message board, even though its slow, every conversation has its own thread of thought. Maybe after Discord has been running a while, people will chill out and it won't be.

This is how I feel exactly... too many people talking over each other and yes the “look at me”. But yeah I am thinking after the newness wears down, things might chill.

Also time is a matter for me. I miss a lot as I can’t be online for long periods of the day.
1 x

Agracite
Resident

Postby Agracite » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 am

I’ve tried it a couple of times and not sure I like it. If I had to choose one word to describe it, it would be chaos. There are a lot of channels, yet despite seeing people are online, hardly any of them are saying anything. There are several moderators yet one channel has posts that should be in three different channels based on the pinned channel description. Like Ty Chou said, topics get changed too abruptly at random. I don’t mind the change in subject, but not every 60 seconds BAM new topic.

I will still check it out from time to time as I like the real time chat with others aspect. However with it being so all over the place, right now I prefer the forum format. I like the idea of scheduled event chat times. So long as they stay on topic and someone is actually moderating.
2 x
"My momma musta put agracite in my cereal when I was a kitten."

https://agraciteinmycereal.tumblr.com/

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 pm

I am still trying to figure out how to log out of DIscord. I can make it so it looks like I'm not online, but Discord is still running. How do I turn it off?

And I agree with Agracite on a lot of that. I think the people who just lurk and don't say anything are a bit overwhelmed. It's so easy to get drowned out when you're just wanting to make a comment. And most definitely yes on people posting in all sorts of different channels where the content should be in other channels. And I feel sorry for the moderators cuz it's so crazy, I'm sure it's a chore to keep up. Discord is an excellent name for this app.

Scheduled chat times would be awesome with just like a few people at a time. I need a Ty-Chou's Chill Zone channel lol

Still, I don't think having the Discord channel is a bad thing at all for the fandom. I'm trying to learn more about it to see if I can utilize it better. (I can't even figure out how to change my icon.) Anyone with tips or suggestions is more than welcome.
0 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:I am still trying to figure out how to log out of DIscord. I can make it so it looks like I'm not online, but Discord is still running. How do I turn it off?

I saw the logout button yesterday! If you are on your computer and on iphone.... go to the bottom of the window where you see your icon, click on the gear and a window opens. There at the bottom you can log out.

EDIT: I might add.... your icon and the gear are found in the same column as the Discord Channels.

Oh! And edit again..... you can change your icon as well ... when you click on the gear.
1 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:53 am

Not finished yet, but it covers what I think are the most important features and options: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=723
1 x

Return to “Other Creative Fanworks”