Discord Server

If your creative masterpiece doesn't fit in art or text... then place it here! (Music, custom helmets, cosplay)
MoDaD
Janitor
Flag: United States of America

Discord Server

Postby MoDaD » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:51 pm

So, this is in the early stages of being organized. Feel free to join and participate!

Discord Invite.

If any of you are Discord experts and are interested in a moderator position there, let me know.
3 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Re: Discord Server

Postby Ty-Chou » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:36 pm

This is my first experience with Discord ever. if there's anyone on here who knows more about this program and wants to post some tips, I'd love to hear them.

I'm assuming there is a way to actually talk or even video chat with people? How does that work?
1 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Ty-Chou wrote:This is my first experience with Discord ever. if there's anyone on here who knows more about this program and wants to post some tips, I'd love to hear them.

I'm assuming there is a way to actually talk or even video chat with people? How does that work?

In Discord, within a given server, there's multiple text channels as well as voice channels. Most are categorized like fan art, general discussion, etc. You can voice chat with people within the voice channels, but I'm unsure as to how video chat works in channels.
1 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Spain

Postby Cait » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:58 am

I've been using it for about a year and manage my own gamer server (nothing big as it is just for a few friends).

MoDaD wrote:So, this is in the early stages of being organized. Feel free to join and participate!

Discord Invite.

If any of you are Discord experts and are interested in a moderator position there, let me know.

Maybe not an expert since there are still a few advanced options I don't know how to use, bu I'm in if I can help MadkatUpIcon

Ty-Chou wrote:This is my first experience with Discord ever. if there's anyone on here who knows more about this program and wants to post some tips, I'd love to hear them.

You can chat and use your microphone in any server. You just need to be sure you are connected to the proper channel. Servers are composed by different channels assigned by their admins. Channels can be chat only, microphone only, both, or reading only (useful for the use of some bots).
This feature is only available for private calls (at least for now). Calls are limited to 10 people I think, but aside of that you can chat, use your microphone and webcam and share any of your screens/windows of your choice.
If you all want, I can try and post a guide with the basics to use Discord and its features (it just will be another guide to my "to do list" LOL)
3 x

Jiesi
Long-Term Resident

Postby Jiesi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Yeah I feel a little lost with it. Although I think being lost just comes naturally to me lol SteeleSweatDropIcon. I don't know it just kinda seems like an organized tangent. I don't know how far back I should scroll to see where the conversation changes or if I should just jump in and change it to another on topic. I do like that it pings when theres something new but I hear a lot of pings and I have no clue whats going on.
1 x
Will work for bubble tea...despite needing money... crazymadkat

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Cait » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Will do that guide then. As for the pings, you will heard them everytime someone writes something on any channel. To avoid being attacked by an army of pings, there is a small "bell" icon above the chat window. Just click it to mute notifications from the channel you are in (you will still get a notification if someone mentions you).

On a side note... Discord seems to be having performance issues right now. Servers are down.
https://status.discordapp.com/

Edit: It's up again.
2 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Postby Poecat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 pm

I jumped in the last two days on Discord...I observed, participated a bit. It's probably where I'm too old or something ... but I am going to kinda stay back here on the forums. LOL. Discord is too fast for me and feels everywhere and overwhelming. So... all you youngin's have fun over there on Discord XD I'll still pop in from time to time to give it a chance though. TurmoilIcon
2 x

Cait
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Cait » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:01 am

Poecat wrote:I jumped in the last two days on Discord...I observed, participated a bit. It's probably where I'm too old or something ... but I am going to kinda stay back here on the forums. LOL. Discord is too fast for me and feels everywhere and overwhelming. So... all you youngin's have fun over there on Discord XD I'll still pop in from time to time to give it a chance though. TurmoilIcon

I feel the same too. Being such a big group (and will grow waaaaay bigger) and since it's a live chat people won't stop sending messages, I can say for experience there will be times you will see like 999+ unread messages just after waking up. That's when you will say you are too old to spend more time reading TboneLaughCait
2 x

MoDaD
Janitor

Postby MoDaD » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:16 am

So far I like it. I've never had anything against Discord... other than a lack of time to dedicate to it. The spontaneity of being able to live chat with others on either set or non-set schedules has the potential to connect like-minded people and also generate interest. Kind of a more casual setting, I guess TboneLaughCait

Maybe at some point once everyone gets the hang of it some kind of Discord times/"events" can be coordinated.

It's also kind of nice to just run the App in the background while I work on stuff, too.
2 x
SKLogoIcon Your Most Complete Source For All Things SWAT Kats Since 1999
The MEGA SWAT Kast | Discord | @TheSWATKats | YouTube Channel | The SWAT Kats Encyclopedia | Fandom Awards | Avatar by Kanogetz | @_MoDaD_
My schedule's been VERY inundated as of late. If I don't reply to you in a timely fashion please accept my apologies in advance. Thank you for your understanding!

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Ty-Chou » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:14 pm

I'm a bit with you, too, Poecat. For me, it's not so much the speed as the randomness. Though that's really more how the members use it than Discord itself. Yes, it was fun to chat in real time with fellow fans, but sometimes there would be a few different conversations all going on at the same time and then new people would pop in and want to talk about something else.

I just want to have a full conversation with someone without other people popping in trying to get everyone to talk about what THEY want to talk about, you know? And then it's like am I rude if I ignore this person trying to derail us? But I just want to finish the current conversation I am having with these other people. Maybe it's because the Discord channel is new. But it feels like a lot of members are constantly "look at me! Look at me! Let's talk about only things I want to talk about!"

At least with the message board, even though its slow, every conversation has its own thread of thought. Maybe after Discord has been running a while, people will chill out and it won't be so frantic.

I also can't figure out how to turn Discord off. Even if I'm doing something else, Discord is always on. How do I log out of it completely? It's driving me nuts.
1 x

Return to “Other Creative Fanworks”