SWAT Kats 25 Year Music Reunion

If your creative masterpiece doesn't fit in art or text... then place it here! (Music, custom helmets, cosplay)
MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

SWAT Kats 25 Year Music Reunion

Postby MoDaD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:48 am

Original SWAT Kats musicians Randall Crissman and John Zuker reunite with series creators Christian and Yvon Tremblay to perform the openers for Season One and Season Two AND share the backstory for why there are two themes.

Aired during the live stream, now available for viewing on YouTube.
7 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Re: SWAT Kats 25 Year Music Reunion

Postby Mikazo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:05 pm

That's neat! Thanks for posting.

What's interesting to me is that while listening to them play the season 2 theme (around 20:42 in the video), I notice that they are sticking with the same time signature all the way through. If you tap your foot to it (or bob your head, whichever) you can count "one two three four" very easily. However the theme used in the show is slightly different - there are lots of abrupt changes in the song's meter.

Original theme for comparison. Between 0:20 and 0:28 you hear an example of this. Right around 0:26 there's a shift in the rhythm and one of the quarter notes falls away. Also at 0:42 to 0:48 a few extra notes were added there in one measure.

I would be curious to know if they wrote it that way, or the song was edited to fit the animation.

The contrast between the first and second season themes is interesting. The first season sounds more cheerful and upbeat, whereas the second one is darker and more desperate sounding. It's almost like the second theme says, "Okay, fun's over. Now things are getting much more serious." :)

I would have liked to see the series have a more robust soundtrack in general.
Last edited by Mikazo on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Ty-Chou
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Re: SWAT Kats 25 Year Music Reunion

Postby Ty-Chou » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:58 pm

I love this video. I grinned like an idiot through the entire thing. I have to say it is one of my favorite Swat Kats videos so far. There is something mesmerizing about watching pro musicians just goof around. I think I'm going to be a bit more sensitive to the score, too, the next time I watch the show, and try to listen for some of the things they were talking about.

Thanks, Matt, for putting this together! This was amazing!
5 x

Return to “Other Creative Fanworks”