There's another kat in town

Tell us about yourself and how SWAT Kats is special to you!
Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident
Flag: Germany

There's another kat in town

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Hello fellow citizens of Megakat City!

I've joined this forum recently although I've been watching the activity here for quite some time as a guest.

The first time I saw SWAT Kats was around 1995 on Cartoon Network UK. Back then I was 16 years old and watched a lot of cartoons there because I thought it would be a good way to start practicing my English. If I hadn't, this series probably would have never caught my attention because it was never aired in Germany as far as I know.

I think I got so excited about the show because it's about cats... I mean kats... combined with a lot of action, cheap jokes and crazy stories that I could never take seriously. I had cats around me almost all of my life. In fact, I treated the first cat I grew up with like a brother. Besides the essential role that cats play in my life I think it's thanks to their voice actors that I liked T-Bone and Razor so much.
But as time passes by and life goes on, I've turned my attention to other things and so I forgot about them for almost 20 years (Just wait a minute! 20 years?! <Sigh> Great, now I feel old.)

They came back into my mind in spring 2014 when I was thinking about a concept for a relatively simple action game for mobile devices in which the player flies around in a helicopter. Maybe the catchphrase "I need chopper backup!" was triggered somewhere in my memory through this, but this is just a wild guess.

So I became curious what has happened to the show and started searching the web. This way I came across the DVD collection and so I thought "Why not?" and bought it. When I started watching, it hit me like it did 20 years ago. Probably even harder, because I started getting obsessed with it for reasons I cannot explain, even to myself. So I got my hands on the SNES game which was also never published in Germany and played it through. Furthermore, I've continued my search on the web, read the discussions about the shows cancellation and some old interviews. In one of them drone warfare was mentioned (http://swatkats.info/exclusives/christian-tremblay-ama-responses).

All of this (the show, the game and the mentioning of drone warfare) triggered a series of weird associations in my probably even more weird brain which resulted in writing "War Games" (http://wargames.swatkats.info), the illustrated fan fiction story that MoDaD kindly announced a few days ago.

So I guess it's time to step out of the shadows and say: "Hi there!"

I had the idea to call myself "Mr. Goodkat" in the forums because of the movie "Lucky Number Slevin". In this film Mr. Goodkat is a hitman played by Bruce Willis. I wonder if such a character would be an interesting addition to all the craziness that happens in Megakat City...
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Re: There's another kat in town

Postby MoDaD » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks for joining the forums, and thanks for the completed War Games fan project.

Your written English is very good, probably better than a lot of native-speakers :lol:

So I got my hands on the SNES game which was also never published in Germany and played it through.

That's quite an accomplishment. I've never beaten the game - had to resort to watching a Let's Play of it.
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Mr. Goodkat wrote:Hello fellow citizens of Megakat City!

I've joined this forum recently although I've been watching the activity here for quite some time as a guest.

Herzlich willkommen! Vielen Dank dafür, dass du dich vorgestellt hast. Du kannst sehr gut Englisch. Als Amerikaner denke ich, es wäre interessant, eine deutsche Version der Show zu schauen. :)

(Hope it's cool if I make a German post here. :) )
0 x

Betaruga
Killa Vanilla

Postby Betaruga » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:23 am

Hey there! Welcome to Megakatcity.com officially! :-D Can't wait to check out your awesome looking fan project, thanks for taking the time to translate it and share it with us all!
0 x

candyangelo
Resident

Postby candyangelo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:18 am

Welcome to the forums! Glad you could finally join us after catching a snippet of "War Games".
0 x

LowdogCraft
Filled with Determination

Postby LowdogCraft » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:29 pm

Welcome to Megakat City, Mr. Goodkat! :D
0 x
~Lowdog002
Artist, Musician, Writer, Gamer and
LGBTQ+ Supporter
also i'm bi
"Knowing the mouse might one day leave its hole and get the cheese... It fills you with determination."
Icon by @menacing-marshmallow on Tumblr

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Hey glad to see you here at Megakat City! ^_^ Don't worry, you're among many 30-somethings here including myself. Glad the series stuck with you and inspired your fanworks! I know of a few SK fans who also caught the SKs in English rather than their native language and it ended up helping them with the language one way or another, so it's great to see another fan overseas. Welcome and feel free to join in discussions.
0 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:13 am

Hi everyone,

thank you very much for the warm welcome.

MoDaD wrote:Your written English is very good, probably better than a lot of native-speakers :lol:

Thank you. It's good to know that it is understandable.

MoDad wrote:That's quite an accomplishment. I've never beaten the game - had to resort to watching a Let's Play of it.

I have to admit that I used some cheat codes on my first run, but I've completed it later without them. I think it's very important in this game to level up quite a lot. Otherwise you're no match for Dark Kat at the end, especially when playing it on hard difficulty.
So, in order to get a lot of experience points, you have to play the worlds multiple times before you enter the last one as there is no way back from there (world 4 is best for this as you get most XP there). Furthermore, there are sections in world 1 and 4 where you can get multiple 1Ups in a single section. This way you can maximize your amount of lives if you need to (collect two 1Ups, let T-Bone/Razor die - I know this is a horrible thing to do :lol: - and repeat this until you have nine lives). This is probably something you won't see in a Let's Play, because it takes some time and it's quite boring to watch. ;)

Mikazo wrote:Herzlich willkommen! Vielen Dank dafür, dass du dich vorgestellt hast. Du kannst sehr gut Englisch.

Dankeschön. Dein Deutsch ist ebenfalls gut verständlich.

I saw your video on YouTube where you are talking in several languages. Quite impressive. Since I only speak German and English I can't judge the quality of the other languages of course, but they are sounding solid too.

Betaruga wrote:Can't wait to check out your awesome looking fan project, thanks for taking the time to translate it and share it with us all!

You're welcome and I hope you gonna enjoy it.
Writing the dialog was surprisingly easy for me. I assume this is because I watched the episodes quite often and got a good feeling how the characters are talking (at least I hope so). It probably would have been much more difficult to write the dialog in German because without a dub there is nothing to rely on. I think it's quite a challenge for a translator to translate a series or movie into another language without loosing too much of its original quality.
Writing the action on the other hand was quite challenging, especially the fights. One reason for this is probably that I try to avoid such situations in real life whenever possible. ;)
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Mr. Goodkat wrote:Dankeschön. Dein Deutsch ist ebenfalls gut verständlich.

I saw your video on YouTube where you are talking in several languages. Quite impressive. Since I only speak German and English I can't judge the quality of the other languages of course, but they are sounding solid too.

Thanks for the feedback! I have yet to read your story, but I am curious about one thing. How was it trying to write in your non-native language?

I am asking because I have tried writing short stories in other languages (none of which I ever finished), and found it to be an interesting challenge. Just as well I have had an interest in learning more about translation. Did you find using Leo helpful? I always felt that since so many words have a lot of synonyms, finding the right one among all the entries can be difficult. Plus not all idiomatic expressions are listed there, even in the forums. However it is good that there are plenty of native speakers on both sides ready to assist with more difficult and uncommon expressions.

On a similar note, I have a Japanese dictionary on my tablet called "Imiwa." While I can look up individual words with it, I know I could easily end up with the wrong synonym. I find it much better to look up example sentences where they are used (which the dictionary conveniently provides as well) so I can be certain I am also getting the right meaning and nuance.
0 x

Mr. Goodkat
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mr. Goodkat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 am

Mikazo wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I have yet to read your story, but I am curious about one thing. How was it trying to write in your non-native language?

To my surprise it was easier than I thought it would be. I guess it came quite handy that I watched a lot of movies and played many games in English (the German dubs of most games in the early and mid 90's were just awful).
This way I was already familiar with a lot of phrases that I used for the story. Furthermore I need English for my job sometimes and I wrote my diploma thesis in this language. So I think I was well prepared when I decided to write the story.

Mikazo wrote:I am asking because I have tried writing short stories in other languages (none of which I ever finished), and found it to be an interesting challenge. Just as well I have had an interest in learning more about translation. Did you find using Leo helpful? I always felt that since so many words have a lot of synonyms, finding the right one among all the entries can be difficult. Plus not all idiomatic expressions are listed there, even in the forums. However it is good that there are plenty of native speakers on both sides ready to assist with more difficult and uncommon expressions.

I often used Leo when I didn't remember or didn't know a certain word I was looking for. When I wasn't sure which of the listed words I should use I searched for examples to find out in which context they are normally used.
When I needed a whole phrase I also searched the web for it like this "Lass den Kopf nicht hängen english" what resulted in "Don't be down in the mouth" which is hopefully a fitting phrase. Maybe you can tell me, once you've read the story. ;)

I think the difficulty to translate a text also depends on the structure of the target language. For many non-native speakers it seems to be way easier to learn English than German or Russian for example. I guess there is a reason why English is so widespread throughout the world and why it's the first foreign language at school in many countries.
0 x

Return to “Introductions”