Any Hunger Games fans here?

Anything non-SK related can be discussed here.
thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident
Flag: United States of America

Any Hunger Games fans here?

Postby thelastmemory » Tue May 27, 2014 2:37 pm

So I just finished reading all three books and I loved them. (Well, the third one not so much...) I still have yet to see the movies though. I'm reading Battle Royale and that's amazing as well. :D

Anyone else here a fan of the series?
0 x

Poecat
Fandom Veteran

Re: Any Hunger Games fans here?

Postby Poecat » Tue May 27, 2014 8:09 pm

I have seen the first two movies and enjoy those :3
0 x

Felony
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion

Postby Felony » Wed May 28, 2014 7:48 am

I am! I've only seen the first two movies and plan on reading the books after the films are complete because there is always stuff left out of the books in film adaptations.
0 x
https://nova.swatkats.info - SWAT Kats: Nova Squadron
https://darkkat.com - Dark Kat’s Doomsday Page
https://felonykat.com - Class A Felony

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident

Postby thelastmemory » Wed May 28, 2014 11:23 am

:D I just watched the first movie last night and I honestly thought it was better than the book (with the exception of a few misgivings). Yeah, they changed a few things but it was mostly little stuff. The story didn't go off the deep end and completely change like it did with the Hobbit. The book is all in Katniss head so it was nice to see events as they happened outside the arena, like the beginning of the uprisings and the reactions of the people in district 12 as the games went on. I wasn't too impressed with the costumes and some of the special effects, but overall, its a great supplement for the book. Ill probably watch the second one this weekend.
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Wed May 28, 2014 7:00 pm

I listened to the unabridged audio versions of all three books, and I really enjoyed them. A lot of the aspects of the post-nuclear war, artificial scarcity-driven, dystopian police state of Panem where technology has manifested into nightmarish applications and the culturally reinforced barbarism and dehumanization of those less fortunate is a real terrifying setting that I think Suzanne Collins made very approachable for the intended audience. It's a real treat for young adult fiction to have elements of higher level concepts (and reinforces the notion that younger people don't need to be condescended to).

I also really enjoyed the breakdown of propoganda, in how the media has been weaponized, and how Katniss and her cohorts must play the roles assigned to them at the expense of their own personal desires. I'd like to think that this idea acts as a push toward critical thinking among the readership.

I also appreciated the attitudes conveyed towards death, killing, and survival, and the consequences of each. The books are really suspenseful, true audio page-turners, and I was on the edge of my seat at numerous points wanting to know what would happen next.

Also, having a believable female protagonist in this genre is incredibly refreshing, too.

I've seen both movies and enjoyed them (the second one obviously had a massive budget increase). I'm a little annoyed that they're splitting the final one into two movies, but we'll have to see how that goes.
0 x

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident

Postby thelastmemory » Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 pm

MoDaD wrote:I listened to the unabridged audio versions of all three books, and I really enjoyed them. A lot of the aspects of the post-nuclear war, artificial scarcity-driven, dystopian police state of Panem where technology has manifested into nightmarish applications and the culturally reinforced barbarism and dehumanization of those less fortunate is a real terrifying setting that I think Suzanne Collins made very approachable for the intended audience. It's a real treat for young adult fiction to have elements of higher level concepts (and reinforces the notion that younger people don't need to be condescended to).

I also really enjoyed the breakdown of propoganda, in how the media has been weaponized, and how Katniss and her cohorts must play the roles assigned to them at the expense of their own personal desires. I'd like to think that this idea acts as a push toward critical thinking among the readership.

I also appreciated the attitudes conveyed towards death, killing, and survival, and the consequences of each. The books are really suspenseful, true audio page-turners, and I was on the edge of my seat at numerous points wanting to know what would happen next.

Also, having a believable female protagonist in this genre is incredibly refreshing, too.

I've seen both movies and enjoyed them (the second one obviously had a massive budget increase). I'm a little annoyed that they're splitting the final one into two movies, but we'll have to see how that goes.

Yeah, I was very surprised at how complex the whole series was for a YA novel. I first went into it with very low expectations, having read some real crap from that genre (Twilight...) I read the first book (HG) in about a day and the rest of the series went from there.

It really draws parallels to our own times, especially with the use of the media and all the propaganda and how reality TV affects society and vice versa.

From the previews I've seen for CF, it looks like it has much better effects so I can't wait to watch it. I have no idea why they split the third book into two parts. Didn't they do that with the last Harry Potter book as well?
0 x

MoDaD
Long-Term Resident

Postby MoDaD » Wed May 28, 2014 11:27 pm

Didn't they do that with the last Harry Potter book as well?

That's what they did. I'd like to pretend it was something other than a giant cash-grab, but it's hard to see it as anything but.

And, I have a secret that I'm somewhat ashamed to admit: I've never read any of the Harry Potter books. I have no excuses :lol:

But, I have seen all the movies, and I thought they were okay. I probably would've enjoyed them more/appreciated the intricacies/ignored the flagrant deus ex machinas if I'd read the books, I suppose.
0 x

Mikazo
Long-Term Resident

Postby Mikazo » Wed May 28, 2014 11:31 pm

MoDaD wrote:And, I have a secret that I'm somewhat ashamed to admit: I've never read any of the Harry Potter books. I have no excuses :lol:

I haven't read them either. o.o I have nothing against them, just never made time to.
0 x

NeeKnight
Challenge Champion
Challenge Champion
Flag: Great Britain

Postby NeeKnight » Thu May 29, 2014 11:16 am

I have not read the books nor have I seen the movies. It has always been something I was interested by but it is a matter of having the time but not the inclination or having the inclination but not the time. I will most likely watch the films at some point but the books... I have a lot to read as it is.
I have read the first two Harry Potters and started the 3rd before I had to move on to other things and numious times I've read the Discworld books by Terry Prachett only to stop half way through a series of those stories to do something else. ... ... I need more focus and drive -_-
0 x

thelastmemory
Long-Term Resident

Postby thelastmemory » Thu May 29, 2014 11:31 am

MoDaD wrote:
Didn't they do that with the last Harry Potter book as well?

And, I have a secret that I'm somewhat ashamed to admit: I've never read any of the Harry Potter books. I have no excuses :lol:

Its okay. Ive only read the first three books and seen the first two movies. HP was a series I had a really hard time getting into for some reason.

And yeah, cash grab definitely. I mean they managed to split the Hobbit up into 3 separate films. I could maybe see 2 from that, but 3??
0 x

Return to “General Discussion”